Forums/Armchair-GM

Billy G

Created by: Kroche6
Team: 2023-24 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 11, 2023
Published: Apr. 11, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
With this little cap space, Minnesota really needs Marco Rossi to make the team next year. If not him, then maybe Adam Beckman. I am hoping Mason Shaw makes it back and plays next year. If none of those things happen, the Wild's forward depth looks iffy.

I am in the group of people that believe Addison will be traded this offseason, though I have no idea what the return will look like. I could see him being subject to an offer sheet this summer too, which could be entertaining.

The FA contracts shown are what I think the average price of all of them will be. I could see Johansson signing for more and Gaudreau signing for less, for example.

It sounds like Danila Yurov needs a new place to play, but I worry about throwing a nineteen year old Russian into the AHL. That's a lot of change for a young kid.

Defensive group looks thin, too. I am interested to see how Daemon Hunt performs in training camp and if he can claim a spot. It sounds like he has had a solid year in the AHL. This would help with depth and give them the ability to rotate the third pair, which would be good for Goligoski and Merrill.

Open to ideas and more creative moves. This is what a conservative offseason approach would look like, in my opinion.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
2$1,000,000
1$800,000
3$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
3$2,000,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,500,000$81,856,921$0$850,000$1,643,079
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 6
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 5
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,450,000$2,450,000
LD
UFA - 2
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 11, 2023 at 4:49 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I just wonder if the Wild can get Gaudreau that cheap, or could Gustavsson be offer sheeted. You're right....just a bad cap situation for the Wild, after having a great season.
Kroche6 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2023 at 4:52 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
What's going on with Rossi? I remember the talking heads saying he was a draft day steal.
Apr. 11, 2023 at 4:55 p.m.
One small note on Yurov, Metallurg got a new coach so I wonder if he's going to extend for a 2 year contract or so. I think that's MNs preference and if he's able to get more consistent ice time with the new bench boss, I think that's probably the best spot for him.
Apr. 11, 2023 at 4:56 p.m.
Thegreatdebater
I don't see how Duhaime gets over 1M or how Gaudreau gets less than 2.5M. Based on comparables (Husso, Vaneck, Georgiev etc) Gustavsson likely gets like 3.5M+ too. Might as well just trade Zuccarello, Hartman and Foligno and re-tool while Suter and Parise's buyouts are on the books.
Kroche6 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2023 at 7:56 p.m.
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
What's going on with Rossi? I remember the talking heads saying he was a draft day steal.

There's nothing going on with Rossi. He's been near a PPG down in the AHL, and his level of play is impressive when considering he missed an entire year of crucial development due to Myocarditis.

If you're asking why he wasn't in the NHL this year. It's because Guerin/Wild organization don't like rushing prospects and even though Rossi wasn't playing bad, he was playing sound defensive hockey at a minimum, his offense wasn't where they wanted it at the beginning of the year so he got sent back down. The plan, initially, was just to get his confidence and scoring ability back on track then call him up again. However, the play of other call ups, namely both Connor Dewar and Mason Shaw kept them in the lineup. Ergo... there wasn't a realistic spot for Rossi on Minnesota's roster until the injury to Joel Eriksson-Ek a couple of games ago

Thems the breaks. 🤷‍♂️
gopherit and Kroche6 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
I just wonder if the Wild can get Gaudreau that cheap, or could Gustavsson be offer sheeted. You're right....just a bad cap situation for the Wild, after having a great season.

Hard to be offer sheeted when you're signed to a contract before the offer sheet window opens up.

Gustavsson is priority #1 to sign this coming offseason. All others are secondary. With $9M in cap space to sign everyone, Gustavsson gets his money and then the rest goes to whomever Guerin can squeeze in.
gopherit and Kroche6 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2023 at 8:07 p.m.
A WILD Golden Gopher
Quoting: RazWild
There's nothing going on with Rossi. He's been near a PPG down in the AHL, and his level of play is impressive when considering he missed an entire year of crucial development due to Myocarditis.

If you're asking why he wasn't in the NHL this year. It's because Guerin/Wild organization don't like rushing prospects and even though Rossi wasn't playing bad, he was playing sound defensive hockey at a minimum, his offense wasn't where they wanted it at the beginning of the year so he got sent back down. The plan, initially, was just to get his confidence and scoring ability back on track then call him up again. However, the play of other call ups, namely both Connor Dewar and Mason Shaw kept them in the lineup. Ergo... there wasn't a realistic spot for Rossi on Minnesota's roster until the injury to Joel Eriksson-Ek a couple of games ago

Thems the breaks. 🤷‍♂️

I'd STRONGLY recommend reading this article. I think it does an excellent job breaking down how Rossi's game has grown this year and where it hasn't -- particularly w.r.t. aggressiveness on the boards. Which is something Evason values highly.
Kroche6 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2023 at 8:09 p.m.
A WILD Golden Gopher
Quoting: drmantalban
One small note on Yurov, Metallurg got a new coach so I wonder if he's going to extend for a 2 year contract or so. I think that's MNs preference and if he's able to get more consistent ice time with the new bench boss, I think that's probably the best spot for him.

Yurov said he'd make his decision by April 30th so we'll see how things play out over the next couple weeks.
Kroche6 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2023 at 8:43 p.m.
Kroche
Quoting: howmuchcurrycanyoueat
I don't see how Duhaime gets over 1M or how Gaudreau gets less than 2.5M. Based on comparables (Husso, Vaneck, Georgiev etc) Gustavsson likely gets like 3.5M+ too. Might as well just trade Zuccarello, Hartman and Foligno and re-tool while Suter and Parise's buyouts are on the books.

I think of the three you mentioned, Foligno is the most likely to be moved, then Zuccarello. I don't think it makes sense to move Hartman at his salary. I think you can only move one of Kaprizov's line mates this summer, especially when you have no one obvious to replace them at the moment. Trading any of those three players is definitely more aggressive and depending on how playoffs go, might be more palatable.
Apr. 11, 2023 at 8:45 p.m.
Kroche
Quoting: palhal

If I was Gaudreau, I would take the friendly deal to stay in a place I like and was valued. But that's me and I'm not in the NHL. But you're right, he's definitely valued at more than $2 million AAV.
Apr. 11, 2023 at 8:47 p.m.
Kroche
Quoting: drmantalban

That's interesting and definitely more appealing than the AHL. I think the Wild want him to sign for one year so he comes over at the end of next season, but if they could guarantee he'd be back after two, maybe they take it, especially with the little play he had this year.
Apr. 11, 2023 at 8:52 p.m.
Kroche
Quoting: RazWild

Thems the breaks. 🤷‍♂️

^. And just to emphasize the health issues, everyone compares Rossi to Matt Boldy, but if you take into account the year he missed due to Myocarditis, he's actually two years behind Boldy in development (2020 draftee and the health year). So next season would be the equivalent season to when Boldy first entered the NHL, in which he played only a half season anyway. So there shouldn't be any panic on his development at this point, in my opinion.
futurehofer liked this.
Apr. 12, 2023 at 2:55 a.m.
Minnesota Wild
What is your plan for Addison. I saw you didn't re-sign him here. Figure he's part of a draft day package in order to move up?
Apr. 12, 2023 at 10:44 a.m.
Kroche
Quoting: futurehofer
What is your plan for Addison. I saw you didn't re-sign him here. Figure he's part of a draft day package in order to move up?

Yeah I mention a trade in the blurb but I have no idea about the trade value so I didn’t want to speculate with one. I hope that’s how he’s used and would be very happy with moving into 10-14 range.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll