Forums/Armchair-GM

Using the new features to show our holes

Created by: BeautifulIdiot
Team: 2023-24 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 12, 2023
Published: Apr. 12, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Ok so these are who I think we will ship out this summer, I think that the Canucks should take a run at Bjugstad and Compher, both are coming off good seasons, and that could be dangerous, but I think that they will give us the best chance at turning this around.
We need to get a centre who has a high chance of hitting this draft, this is our best shot at getting a #2C, IDK what raty or Lappierre will turn into but we need as many kicks at the can as possible to find our next Bo Horvat. I have left the positions we need filled empty, and put possible options in the extra spots
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,750,000
4$1,250,000
2$900,000
2$775,000
2$775,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,750,000
1$1,650,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Reinbacher, David
3$950,000
Danielson, Nate
3$950,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Granlund, Mikael
  2. 2023 1st round pick (PIT)
  3. 2024 1st round pick (PIT)
VAN
  1. Lapierre, Hendrix
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (WSH)
WSH
  1. Boeser, Brock
  2. 2023 4th round pick (DET)
VAN
    Future Considerations
    VAN
    1. 2023 5th round pick (VAN)
    Additional Details:
    Future Considerations
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    24$83,500,000$67,480,000$850,000$850,000$16,020,000
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $7,350,000$7,350,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    $4,950,000$4,950,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $4,150,000$4,150,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $825,000$825,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $883,750$883,750
    C
    RFA - 1
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 5
    $775,000$775,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $762,500$762,500
    RW, C
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,850,000$7,850,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $4,400,000$4,400,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $762,500$762,500
    G
    UFA - 1
    $883,750$883,750
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $775,000$775,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 3:49 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Wow!! I gotta try this. Thanks for alerting me to the possibilities!
    BeautifulIdiot and Juiceman liked this.
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 3:51 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    Wow!! I gotta try this. Thanks for alerting me to the possibilities!

No, Thank Capfriendly for doing this, its actually so handy
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.
    Still a no on JT Miller. I don't care that Granlund's an albatross. The only guy who wants JTM is the guy that everyone wants fired.
    Another big contract on an aging player. Because that worked so well this season.
    Pens can honestly just fill the same role Miller would by resigning Zucker. Lose out on Miller's PP expertize in exchange for getting Zucker's defense and work ethic. I've mentioned it before on CF, but their even strength point totals are pretty close.
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:07 p.m.
    Bog
    Jesus Christ how to make this team worse. For the millionth time stop trying to trade Miller. For what? just to sign Compher to a six by six like come on. Why would you trade our second best forward for two mid picks and a third line overpaid centre (who is worth a 5th in your evaluation) just so we can draft Jake Virtanen and Olli Juolevi 2.0. The media turned Miller into some toxic figure of everything wrong with the Canucks and a horrible leader. I think they picked the wrong guy, and that guy was dealt. I don't love Miller, but for all the hate he gets, he sure is a hell of a warrior worth every penny with what guys are going for on the market these days, I'll tell you that for free. 80pts in 80 games and a massive + player since Tocchet took over, same with Brock. The real problem is Myers and OEL.
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:08 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: Haymaker26
    Still a no on JT Miller. I don't care that Granlund's an albatross. The only guy who wants JTM is the guy that everyone wants fired.
    Another big contract on an aging player. Because that worked so well this season.
    Pens can honestly just fill the same role Miller would by resigning Zucker. Lose out on Miller's PP expertize in exchange for getting Zucker's defense and work ethic. I've mentioned it before on CF, but their even strength point totals are pretty close.

Very fair, But the man who wants everyone fired isn’t fired and might get another shot, look at Benning, people were calling for his head in a far more vocal market for far longer. Contrary to popular belief, miller is a good defensive player, he didnt back check at the start of the year, but under tocchet he as fixed that and has been able to shot what he is in fact a 200 foot player, he’s also a leader and would be a great piece to get a team to the playoffs, Canucks aren’t in that position, so we would be better off to monetize him. But I understand your point, I hope for our sake that this trade gets made but I could see Hex(Stall) seeing that this is his time to shine and pulling the trigger. I wouldn’t say grandlunds contract is an albatross, he still produces, or at least before being traded he produced well
    Warpbox liked this.
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
    Canucks Fan... Help
    I would be pretty pissed if the Canucks signed a 28 year old, who's been a career ~30 pt player, to a 5 year deal at 5.75.
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:22 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: bogdown
    Jesus Christ how to make this team worse. For the millionth time stop trying to trade Miller. For what? just to sign Compher to a six by six like come on. Why would you trade our second best forward for two mid picks and a third line overpaid centre (who is worth a 5th in your evaluation) just so we can draft Jake Virtanen and Olli Juolevi 2.0. The media turned Miller into some toxic figure of everything wrong with the Canucks and a horrible leader. I think they picked the wrong guy, and that guy was dealt. I don't love Miller, but for all the hate he gets, he sure is a hell of a warrior worth every penny with what guys are going for on the market these days, I'll tell you that for free. 80pts in 80 games and a massive + player since Tocchet took over, same with Brock. The real problem is Myers and OEL.

Is this team better? Probably not, but are we better set up for the future? I’d say so. We dont know who those picks would be, that is where good scouting would come into play, it was well known that work ethic was not the strong suit of JV18 or OJ48, but that can be assessed and avoided nowadays. I am super high on JTM, I think he is a fantastic player, but he doesn’t fit the canucks window and that is why I think we should move him, not because of his “anger issues” that people say, I see that as passion, he is every bit the warrior that you say he is, but he’s 30, and if the organization does their homework and researches who is going to be the next steal in the draft, then I think that we should trust their judgement. The problem is myers and OEL, but if we can get out from the JTM contract so that it doesn’t hinder us when we push for the cup, I am all for it. The Avs are a far better team than the Canucks, and if Compher can be a 2C for them, he can be a 2C for us that will eventually transition down to a 3C where he can use his 2 way game to have an impact. I would love if miller would be the guy to do that, but if he’s an 8M 3C in 3 years, that’s an organizational failure
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:23 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: YesThisIsFlo
    I would be pretty pissed if the Canucks signed a 28 year old, who's been a career ~30 pt player, to a 5 year deal at 5.75.

It’s the Copp Comp, and Compher beats him in defensive abilities and also being a 2C on one of the best teams in the league
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:25 p.m.

So some people say that's too much for Miller and some say it isn't enough. I think that means you're close. I would make one of the 1sts into a 2nd or prospect but I think you got it!
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.
    Bog
    Quoting: BeautifulIdiot
    Is this team better? Probably not, but are we better set up for the future? I’d say so. We dont know who those picks would be, that is where good scouting would come into play, it was well known that work ethic was not the strong suit of JV18 or OJ48, but that can be assessed and avoided nowadays. I am super high on JTM, I think he is a fantastic player, but he doesn’t fit the canucks window and that is why I think we should move him, not because of his “anger issues” that people say, I see that as passion, he is every bit the warrior that you say he is, but he’s 30, and if the organization does their homework and researches who is going to be the next steal in the draft, then I think that we should trust their judgement. The problem is myers and OEL, but if we can get out from the JTM contract so that it doesn’t hinder us when we push for the cup, I am all for it. The Avs are a far better team than the Canucks, and if Compher can be a 2C for them, he can be a 2C for us that will eventually transition down to a 3C where he can use his 2 way game to have an impact. I would love if miller would be the guy to do that, but if he’s an 8M 3C in 3 years, that’s an organizational failure

I think Miller is better suited on the wing with Petey. And I'm perfectly fine paying 8 mil for him, especially with the cap projected to increase.

Miller Petey Kuzy
    Beauvillier Compher Boeser
    Mikheyev Bjugstad Barbashev
    Di Giuseppe Aman Joshua

Hughes Bear/Schenn
    Hirose Hronek
    Gavrikov F. Johansson

Demko'
    Brossoit

We'd have around 22 mil if we bought out OEL or trade him. Signings would be:

Bear $2.5mil for 3 years OR Schenn $1.8mil for 3 years
    Gavrikov $4.6mil for 4 years
    Compher $5mil for 5 years
    Barbashev $4.75mil for 5 years
    Bjugstad $1.8mil for 2 years
    Brossoit $1mil for 2 years

$19.65mil with Bear, $18.95mil with Schenn

Last 4 mil can be used to sign Hoglander.
    BeautifulIdiot liked this.
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:32 p.m.
    canes arent touching Granlund
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:37 p.m.
    Canucks Fan... Help
    It’s the Copp Comp, and Compher beats him in defensive abilities and also being a 2C on one of the best teams in the league

I get that, but the Copp contract immediately became terrible. Let's not do that.
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 5:18 p.m.
    This team kills me
    I think Miller is better suited on the wing with Petey. And I'm perfectly fine paying 8 mil for him, especially with the cap projected to increase.

Miller Petey Kuzy
    Beauvillier Compher Boeser
    Mikheyev Bjugstad Barbashev
    Di Giuseppe Aman Joshua

Hughes Bear/Schenn
    Hirose Hronek
    Gavrikov F. Johansson

Demko'
    Brossoit

We'd have around 22 mil if we bought out OEL or trade him. Signings would be:

Bear $2.5mil for 3 years OR Schenn $1.8mil for 3 years
    Gavrikov $4.6mil for 4 years
    Compher $5mil for 5 years
    Barbashev $4.75mil for 5 years
    Bjugstad $1.8mil for 2 years
    Brossoit $1mil for 2 years

$19.65mil with Bear, $18.95mil with Schenn

Last 4 mil can be used to sign Hoglander.

I think that lineup would be decent, but I think that we would be able to make a push for the cup if we move miller and then use those assets to maybe move off some money, get good young players, deepen our prospect pipeline, I am not huge on Gavrikov, I think Graves would be a better fit, I also dont think we should come anywhere close to an OEL buyout
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 5:19 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: ecupirate07
    canes arent touching Granlund

Fair enough, more just to any team
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 7:54 p.m.
    down bad
    Capitals pass. Would be looking for a better winger than BB for that price
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 8:36 p.m.
    Very fair, But the man who wants everyone fired isn’t fired and might get another shot, look at Benning, people were calling for his head in a far more vocal market for far longer. Contrary to popular belief, miller is a good defensive player, he didnt back check at the start of the year, but under tocchet he as fixed that and has been able to shot what he is in fact a 200 foot player, he’s also a leader and would be a great piece to get a team to the playoffs, Canucks aren’t in that position, so we would be better off to monetize him. But I understand your point, I hope for our sake that this trade gets made but I could see Hex(Stall) seeing that this is his time to shine and pulling the trigger. I wouldn’t say grandlunds contract is an albatross, he still produces, or at least before being traded he produced well

Hextall is in the process of pissing away a healthy 82 games from Sid and Geno, and one of the most effective top 6s we've built around them. Our window is either shut or close to it and he's the root cause of a lot of it. I've seen people say this is the most hopeless they've seen Pens fans, and I believe it. Chants call out in home games to fire the guy. Hard to believe he gets another shot, and if he does, I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh took a page out of your fanbase's book from 2010-11.
    And Miller has been good defensively, but the lack of effort from the beginning of the season leave a bad taste in my mouth. What's stopping him from doing that here? What reason do we give him to care, when the Pens are clearly clinging onto contention for dear life. For all I know, it's too late.
    Similar situation to the leadership claim. The incident from December-ish of him getting mad at Delia when VAN was trying to get an extra attacker on is stuck in my head whenever the trade proposal gets brought up. Maybe you're right, you know the player better than I do. But what I've seen is not encouraging.
    And no, Granlund is an albatross and another reason why Hextall should not be here much longer. 1 goal, 5 points in 20 games in PIT, and that goal was in garbage time and didn't matter. He produced in Nashville because he was in a much bigger role there. His ice time dropped ~3min/game in the change. If you've seen either JFresh's player card or the Athletic's GSVA card for Granlund at the time of the trade, both were awful. And the eye test backs it up. He's rarely a negative impact, but he's never a positive one. He's an expensive, aging playmaker, and none of those descriptions were something we needed.
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 10:47 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Hextall is in the process of pissing away a healthy 82 games from Sid and Geno, and one of the most effective top 6s we've built around them. Our window is either shut or close to it and he's the root cause of a lot of it. I've seen people say this is the most hopeless they've seen Pens fans, and I believe it. Chants call out in home games to fire the guy. Hard to believe he gets another shot, and if he does, I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh took a page out of your fanbase's book from 2010-11.
    And Miller has been good defensively, but the lack of effort from the beginning of the season leave a bad taste in my mouth. What's stopping him from doing that here? What reason do we give him to care, when the Pens are clearly clinging onto contention for dear life. For all I know, it's too late.
    Similar situation to the leadership claim. The incident from December-ish of him getting mad at Delia when VAN was trying to get an extra attacker on is stuck in my head whenever the trade proposal gets brought up. Maybe you're right, you know the player better than I do. But what I've seen is not encouraging.
    And no, Granlund is an albatross and another reason why Hextall should not be here much longer. 1 goal, 5 points in 20 games in PIT, and that goal was in garbage time and didn't matter. He produced in Nashville because he was in a much bigger role there. His ice time dropped ~3min/game in the change. If you've seen either JFresh's player card or the Athletic's GSVA card for Granlund at the time of the trade, both were awful. And the eye test backs it up. He's rarely a negative impact, but he's never a positive one. He's an expensive, aging playmaker, and none of those descriptions were something we needed.

Very well put,I dont really buy into the notion that horvat was a bad leader, but I do think that Miller thinks that he could have done a better job. As now the leadership of the team has shifted towards pettersson and Hughes, I have seen a huge shift in miller’s attitude. I think having a super stable leadership above miller there wont be any spark ups as have been seen in Van.

I will trust you on Granlund, the reason why I didnt see him as such a bad deal is because he doesn’t have a ton of time left, he plays a premium position, and the cap hit isn’t terrible and he is known to be a good through and through pro
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 10:48 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Quoting: DogDayCaps2
    Capitals pass. Would be looking for a better winger than BB for that price

Fair enough
    Apr. 12, 2023 at 11:13 p.m.
    Ex Nucks fan

You better pray Hextall gets fired before next season starts because reports indicate that trade talks are likely to resume this summer
    Apr. 13, 2023 at 1:26 p.m.
    Quoting: Juiceman
    You better pray Hextall gets fired before next season starts because reports indicate that trade talks are likely to resume this summer

I've seen reports that Fenway Sports Group is either considering or preparing to clear out the front office.
    Apr. 13, 2023 at 1:34 p.m.
    Very well put,I dont really buy into the notion that horvat was a bad leader, but I do think that Miller thinks that he could have done a better job. As now the leadership of the team has shifted towards pettersson and Hughes, I have seen a huge shift in miller’s attitude. I think having a super stable leadership above miller there wont be any spark ups as have been seen in Van.

I will trust you on Granlund, the reason why I didnt see him as such a bad deal is because he doesn’t have a ton of time left, he plays a premium position, and the cap hit isn’t terrible and he is known to be a good through and through pro

Doesn't have a ton of time left: 2 more seasons at $5M. That was our window at best. His contract expires with Sid's, and it was generally accepted that the remainder of Sid's deal was our window. It's long enough to have a significant impact.
    Plays a premium position: Nope! For the majority of his time here, he's been our 3RW. He and Carter lost the 3C position to Ryan Poehling. IMO, Poehls should've been there long before he got there. He and Drew O'Connor have been the only real bright spots in this bottom 6 all year.
    I've seen enough of Granlund's game to be convinced. He's a complete non-factor. A filled roster spot. Nothing more. He's invisible to the eye test, and not much better on the scoresheet. 1 goal, 5 points in 20 games with the Pens, and that 1 goal was in garbage time and had no impact on the outcome of the game or the season.
    Apr. 14, 2023 at 4:02 p.m.
    This team kills me
    Doesn't have a ton of time left: 2 more seasons at $5M. That was our window at best. His contract expires with Sid's, and it was generally accepted that the remainder of Sid's deal was our window. It's long enough to have a significant impact.
    Plays a premium position: Nope! For the majority of his time here, he's been our 3RW. He and Carter lost the 3C position to Ryan Poehling. IMO, Poehls should've been there long before he got there. He and Drew O'Connor have been the only real bright spots in this bottom 6 all year.
    I've seen enough of Granlund's game to be convinced. He's a complete non-factor. A filled roster spot. Nothing more. He's invisible to the eye test, and not much better on the scoresheet. 1 goal, 5 points in 20 games with the Pens, and that 1 goal was in garbage time and had no impact on the outcome of the game or the season.

Very fair, I guess it is a moot point now that you dont have a flyer at them helm of the pens

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll