SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #1: Beg for Bedard

Apr. 15, 2023 at 12:18 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
c5ad3c875c94784f80d3b4b7c4dc5853~c5_720x720.jpeg%3Fx-expires%3D1681124400%26x-signature%3DteVC%252FXC2oykHkvuEXS%252FaVoMUSig%253D&usqp=CAU
capsfan2121 and csick liked this.
Apr. 15, 2023 at 1:11 a.m.
WentWughes
It's all worth it for Bedard
Apr. 15, 2023 at 8:00 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Bedard is a capital
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Apr. 15, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.
Bedard23
Brad Larsen is also now fired

Might be a hot take but I think he should’ve gotten another chance, this year was a loss for them because everyone was injured
Steven_Stamkos and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Apr. 15, 2023 at 11:15 a.m.
WentWughes

Apr. 15, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
i63z0p1a12ua1.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=c056ce075078374c701b5bd27f729d94517c1ddb

Bedard bowl
Apr. 15, 2023 at 4:32 p.m.
This feels like the good place to look over my standings prediction at the start of the year for the East

My predictions
Atlantic
1. Tampa ( I was off, their depth and defense wasn't as good as I expected, actual standing position: 3rd )
2. Toronto ( Pretty on point, actual standing position: 2nd )
3. Florida ( Pretty on point, their goaltending was worse than I expected but overall, they did about how I expected them to, actual standing position: 4th, WC2)
4 (WC2). Boston ( I was 10000% off, I knew Boston would be good but Marchand and McAvoy came back from their offseason injuries much quicker than I expected and the Bruins were still amazing with them out, their depth also did better, actual standing position: 1st)
5. Ottawa ( Pretty on point, actual standings position: 6th)
6. Detroit (Pretty on point, actual standings position: 7th)
7. Montreal ( Pretty on point but that's when the players were healthy which they were not, actual standings position: 8th)
8. Buffalo (Off, their goaltending was as bad as I expected but their defence and forwards were much better than I expected, actual standings position: 5th)

Metro
1. Carolina ( On point, actual standings position: 1st)
2. NYR ( Pretty on point, they did about what I expected them to do, actual standings position: 3rd)
3. NYI ( Pretty on point, they did about what I expected them to do, actual standings position: 4th, WC1)
4 (WC1). Pittsburgh ( Fairly on point, their defence did worse than I expected, actual standings position: 5th)
5. New Jersey ( Fully off, All of their forwards blew my expectation, their defence was better than I expected, actual standings position: 2nd)
6. Columbus ( Off, Merz did much worse, Korpi was much better than I expected for them, this team just did not stay healthy and missed many key players which played a big part in this team doing worse than i expected, actual standings position: 8th)
7. Washington ( Kind of off, their defence wasn't as good as I expected, partially due to the Carlson injury, Kuemper played a bit worse, they did finish higher up than I expected but the team did slightly worse than I expected, actual standings position: 6th)
8. Philly ( Kind of on point, their defense was worse than I expected and I expected their defence to be pretty meh, actual standings position: 7th)

Overall, I got 7/8 playoff teams ( Pittsburgh missed, NJ made it), Buffalo, Boston and NJ were the teams I was the most wrong about
MatthewsFan liked this.
Apr. 15, 2023 at 6:34 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Lavi really messed everyone up mentally in washinton.
Apr. 15, 2023 at 6:51 p.m.
and proud of it
Quoting: capsfan2121
Bedard is a capital

He can't be. He's a Duck or a Blackhawk
Apr. 15, 2023 at 9:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

I swear if they relocate before the Coyotes
Apr. 15, 2023 at 10:07 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

When a player is playing well, he is considered god, when a player is struggling, he needs to be immediately executed for treason. That is how to be a Canucks fan 101
Apr. 15, 2023 at 10:08 p.m.
WentWughes
Is it weird I feel bad about going to Jamaica for a week? I'm going to miss the start of the playoffs :/
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 15, 2023 at 10:42 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: aadoyle

They’re the closest team to me so they better not relocate lol
Apr. 16, 2023 at 1:03 a.m.
Was a third wheel for a fun debate, I present it to you:

What if the NHL removed all weighted odds from the draft lottery.

Pick order is still determined by standings.

Everybody outside of the playoffs gets equal shot at 1 and 2 OA.

That’s it.

The argument for is it truly would eliminate tanking, which I see as a strong argument. It also wouldn’t change much about the trade deadline.

The argument against is that it would result in less parity, which is a weaker argument to me because pick order still exists, and the worst team is guaranteed no lower than 3OA, and already only has a 25% shot at 1OA anyway.

Do people actually care about tanking? I personally do not mind it.

I agree that doing the above idea would be interesting as it would invest 16 fanbases into upcoming talent.

But I don’t care really if it changes or not. Actually I maybe like tanking. It’s variety and interesting.

But I do have a problem with rewarding failure. That is not ideal for anything which is supposed to represent the most competitive environment of its kind. At the top of competition, failure should be a terrifying outcome, not a celebration.

What side of this argument do you prefer?
Sharkie69 liked this.
Apr. 16, 2023 at 7:23 a.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop

That’s it.

The argument for is it truly would eliminate tanking, which I see as a strong argument. It also wouldn’t change much about the trade deadline.

The argument against is that it would result in less parity, which is a weaker argument to me because pick order still exists, and the worst team is guaranteed no lower than 3OA, and already only has a 25% shot at 1OA anyway.

I agree that doing the above idea would be interesting as it would invest 16 fanbases into upcoming talent.

But I don’t care really if it changes or not. Actually I maybe like tanking. It’s variety and interesting.

But I do have a problem with rewarding failure. That is not ideal for anything which is supposed to represent the most competitive environment of its kind. At the top of competition, failure should be a terrifying outcome, not a celebration.

I’m perfectly fine with tanking, tanking is simply part of the cycle, every team that wants to be a contender has probably needed to tank first, it’s simply a part of the game and as long as the tanking isn’t as atrocious as icing a full on AHL roster, I’m fine with it.
CantStopWontStop and zk97 liked this.
Apr. 16, 2023 at 8:04 a.m.
Now for the West as a follow up to my previous review of my standings predictions for the East

My predictions
Central, Note: I had 2-6 as interchangeable in the Central and man did that prove to be right
1. Colorado ( On point, their goaltending did better than I expected but Injuries really took a toll on this team, actual standings position: 1st)
2. Nashville ( Kind of off, their forward and defence did worse than I expected, Lankinen was much better, actual standings position: 5th)
3. Dallas ( Pretty on point, their forwards performed better than I expected, actual standings position: 2nd)
4 (WC1). Minnesota ( Pretty on point, MAF did worse than I expected but Gustavsson did better, actual standings position: 3rd)
5 (WC2). Saint-Louis ( Kind of off, I said their defence and goaltending would be the deciding factor... It was, they didn't perform as one thought they might, actual standings position: 6th)
6. Winnipeg ( Kind of off, their forward depth was better than I expected, their defence actually performed well, actual standings position: 4th, WC2 )
7. Chicago ( Fairly on point, I thought they would suck but they managed to suck even harder, actual standings position: 8th)
8. Arziona ( Fairly on point, their goaltending was worse than I expected but their forwards did much better, actual standings position: 7th)

Pacific
1. Calgary ( Off, their goaltending was horrible, their forwards underperformed, actual standings position: 5th)
2. Edmonton ( On point, Skinner did better than I expected and Campbell did worse, equals, out, actual standings position: 2nd)
3. Vegas ( Kind of off, their rotation Hill, Broissoit and Thompson did very well, actual standings position: 1st)
4. Los Angeles ( Fairly on point, their goaltending struggled more than I expected but their defence picked up the slack, actual standings position: 3rd)
5. Seattle ( Grubauer did not bounce back, their defence did a bit better than I expected, actual standings position: 4th WC1)
6. Vancouver ( On point, Demko had to try and carry the defence, the forwards were decent, actual standings position: 6th)
7. Anaheim ( Fairly on point, their defence was much worse than expected, their offensive depth wasn't as good, actual standings position: 8th)
8. San Jose ( On point, EK was much better than expected but the team struggled a lot, actual standings position: 7th)

I got 5/8 playoff teams ( LA, Seattle and Winnipeg made it, Calgary, Nashville, Saint Louis did not ), Calgary was really the only team I was really off on
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Apr. 16, 2023 at 8:19 a.m.
and proud of it
Edited Apr. 16, 2023 at 8:26 a.m.

naw bruh. Just get a new arena
Apr. 16, 2023 at 12:39 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Now for the West as a follow up to my previous review of my standings predictions for the East

My predictions
Central, Note: I had 2-6 as interchangeable in the Central and man did that prove to be right
1. Colorado ( On point, their goaltending did better than I expected but Injuries really took a toll on this team, actual standings position: 1st)
2. Nashville ( Kind of off, their forward and defence did worse than I expected, Lankinen was much better, actual standings position: 5th)
3. Dallas ( Pretty on point, their forwards performed better than I expected, actual standings position: 2nd)
4 (WC1). Minnesota ( Pretty on point, MAF did worse than I expected but Gustavsson did better, actual standings position: 3rd)
5 (WC2). Saint-Louis ( Kind of off, I said their defence and goaltending would be the deciding factor... It was, they didn't perform as one thought they might, actual standings position: 6th)
6. Winnipeg ( Kind of off, their forward depth was better than I expected, their defence actually performed well, actual standings position: 4th, WC2 )
7. Chicago ( Fairly on point, I thought they would suck but they managed to suck even harder, actual standings position: 8th)
8. Arziona ( Fairly on point, their goaltending was worse than I expected but their forwards did much better, actual standings position: 7th)

Pacific
1. Calgary ( Off, their goaltending was horrible, their forwards underperformed, actual standings position: 5th)
2. Edmonton ( On point, Skinner did better than I expected and Campbell did worse, equals, out, actual standings position: 2nd)
3. Vegas ( Kind of off, their rotation Hill, Broissoit and Thompson did very well, actual standings position: 1st)
4. Los Angeles ( Fairly on point, their goaltending struggled more than I expected but their defence picked up the slack, actual standings position: 3rd)
5. Seattle ( Grubauer did not bounce back, their defence did a bit better than I expected, actual standings position: 4th WC1)
6. Vancouver ( On point, Demko had to try and carry the defence, the forwards were decent, actual standings position: 6th)
7. Anaheim ( Fairly on point, their defence was much worse than expected, their offensive depth wasn't as good, actual standings position: 8th)
8. San Jose ( On point, EK was much better than expected but the team struggled a lot, actual standings position: 7th)

I got 5/8 playoff teams ( LA, Seattle and Winnipeg made it, Calgary, Nashville, Saint Louis did not ), Calgary was really the only team I was really off on

As far as predictions go these are really solid results. A few missed, but as you mentioned only the Flames were off, the rest were more or less there.
Apr. 16, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Funny how this trade went south fast. From robbery to we invested in the wrong guy

As his value has dipped due to the down season he had by his standards
Apr. 16, 2023 at 3:29 p.m.
Bedard23

Funny how this trade went south fast. From robbery to we invested in the wrong guy

Somewhere Kyle Davidson is laughing his a*s off with a bag of popcorn in his lap
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Apr. 16, 2023 at 5:19 p.m.
and proud of it

Blackhawks shoulda kept him
Apr. 16, 2023 at 6:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyManiac95
Blackhawks shoulda kept him

Would have hurt the tank
HockeyManiac95 liked this.
Apr. 16, 2023 at 7:24 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Its wraps for everybody else. Sweden wins
Apr. 17, 2023 at 8:08 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: CantStopWontStop

That’s it.

I propose a third, much dumber alternative to you: Elimination tournament between all 16 non-playoff teams. single elimination bracket to determine draft selection. It might be the worst possible idea, but imagine the chaos!
zk97, Bobcat205, Saskleaf and 2 others liked this.
Apr. 17, 2023 at 8:44 a.m.
cautious optimism
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR

good call

dance-dance-boy.gif

Sucks that our goalie coach is gone too, but the bad man is gone

Now let's see if we can lock down a Claude Julien-type as our coach.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll