Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #1: Beg for Bedard

May 26, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: NHLfan10506
It’s gonna be Chiarelli, isn’t it…

Quoting: Nathaniel
"I'd expect them to interview"

Translation: Here are my 4 guesses, which also just so happen to be the most outlandish guys possible so I can get exposure.

Seravalli is the same guy who "expected" Toronto to have interest in DeAngelo prior to him signing in Carolina. I'm shocked more people don't see through Seravallis lame attempt at stirring the pot here. I'm shocked he didn't name Mike Milbury as a name to watch as well...

Quoting: aadoyle
It's serevalli so pinch of salt but these are just names that are gonna spring up when any team looks for GM

Like what we saw out of Pitt. Got a feeling I know who it is and after Saturday Shanny gonna reunite with an old friend from Det

I definitely agree there is no way it’s actually going to be Chiarelli . Shanny isn’t stupid enough that he’ll take a guy who was terrible in his last job as a GM. Now I do think it’s Treliving’s job to lose since he has experience, recent experience at that and wasn’t terrible in his last job as a GM, but no chance it’s Chiarelli or Benning. Whatever you think of Shanny, he’s not that stupid.
May 26, 2023 at 4:43 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: IconicHawk
Let me play devil’s advocate for you, if not for Anderson the series against Boston ends in 4, he saved you guys in game 1 then got hurt in game 2 then Samsonov played like garbage when he played

Huh? Samsonov single-handedly kept the team in that OT game until Schultz completely screwed the pooch, and was solid up until game 5. His defense went flaccid in front of him after game 1.
May 26, 2023 at 5:24 p.m.
It’s gonna be Chiarelli, isn’t it…

I mean, it seems like the true TOR Gm is Shanahan/MLSE so does it really matter who they get? It seemed to me like Toronto wants a yes man as GM
Steven_Stamkos and Rolfadinho liked this.
May 26, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I mean, it seems like the true TOR Gm is Shanahan/MLSE so does it really matter who they get? It seemed to me like Toronto wants a yes man as GM

But why hire an experienced GM if they just wanted a yes man. They could just pluck a rando off CapFriendly and make him their stooge.
Saskleaf and Rolfadinho liked this.
May 26, 2023 at 5:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
But why hire an experienced GM if they just wanted a yes man. They could just pluck a rando off CapFriendly and make him their stooge.

People often misinterpret things

When a GM wants to make a trade or signing they often have to go through the higher ups before approval

So basically Dubas goes to Shanny hey I want to trade for this guy, alright whats the ask (ABC), and you will get one of three answers, K that seems fine or hold up let me ask board, or no. Its like that for all teams with a gm, president, and owner.

As if we look at Dubas last 2 years Shanahan stopped 1 move from him (Hagel + MAF trade) and trust me when u read what would have happened man good call not allowing it

This does not mean anyone can be GM here. U got to be qualified and if we look at the guys Shanny has hired both were good not Chirelli or Benning lvl bad.
May 26, 2023 at 6:02 p.m.
People often misinterpret things

When a GM wants to make a trade they often have to go through the higher ups before approval

So basically Dubas goes to Shanny hey I want to trade for this guy, alright whats the ask (ABC), and you will get one of three answers, K that seems fine or hold up let me ask board, or no. Its like that for all teams with a gm, president, and owner.

As if we look at Dubas last 2 years Shanahan stopped 1 move from him (Hagel + MAF trade) and trust me when u read what would have happened man good call not allowing it

I think some GMs have more runway to work with. If they wanted experienced GM, perhaps it is to give him more autonomy. If they wanted a guy to bring stuff to Shany, they could hire Will Arnett (or aadoyle)
May 26, 2023 at 6:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 26, 2023 at 6:11 p.m.
I think some GMs have more runway to work with. If they wanted experienced GM, perhaps it is to give him more autonomy. If they wanted a guy to bring stuff to Shany, they could hire Will Arnett (or aadoyle)

True but often GM's who get autonomy from higher ups have earned it. Yzerman for instance nobody gonna tell him no or question him (even higher ups) unless the deal hes proposing is nuts (Larkin for FC). Same with other notable gms like Sakic (till he got promoted), Sweeney, and Lou

Now does this mean good moves no but if we look most GMs got to get approval from higher ups before making a move these days. Only the high pedigree guys with years of experience or success often get trust to where they dont always need to ask.

Dubas really didnt have a case for more of it. He made some good moves but also some bad moves. Giving him more power might have resulted in a bad blockbuster maybe not. Per reports he had a good amount of autonomy but when he really wanted to make a big move got to ask the boss. And if we look at the TDL he got his wishes

ROR and McCabe trades among others

But I guess he wanted more so he could do whatever he wanted good or bad and while it may have worked out we may have saw something bad occur.
May 26, 2023 at 6:07 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

From this it sounded like that Dubas did have a lot of autonomy in doing his job; however for major transactions, in order to get approval to pursue it he would need to go to Shanahan and Shanahan would need to get the board to approve it. This season, Shanahan wasn't as involved in the team as he was in previous seasons and Dubas was getting annoyed that this process would take several days, and by the time he got approval (if he did), the opportunity would be gone. So Dubas wanted more autonomy in being able to pursue trades and signings.

I think the big issue is why the MLSE board needs to approve hockey transactions? I can understand Shanahan having the final say on this because as President of the team you need to oversee everything, but this should not be of concern to the board. For context, the board at MLSE is made up of both telecommunication executives at Bell and Rogers plus two other people. The executives should really just have an input on the financial health and security of the overall company, and no trade or signing the Maple Leafs ever do will cause a major fluctuation in that. This team could go 0-82 and they'd still sell out the building. Sorry, but the guys who are forcing me to pay out the ass for my phone bill should be concerned with if Erik Karlsson becomes a Maple Leaf.

Also, I think what could've broke the Shanahan/Dubas relationship completely was Dubas retaining an agent to negotiation the extension. There's more to whatever happened that we'll never hear about but it sounded unusual for a general manager to have an agent. Pretty annoyed we have to spend time speculating this, honestly. I have some very choice opinions on Bell and Rogers right now.
aadoyle, NorthernLeafsFan05, Saskleaf and 2 others liked this.
May 26, 2023 at 6:11 p.m.
torontos finest

I don't believe it'd be unusual for the President/CEO to want to be filled in on big transactions. Their job is overseeing the entire team and if you're moving a key player then they would need to be informed of the decision and the reasoning.

The board being involved is very dumb. Especially for a team like the Maple Leafs.
aadoyle and Rolfadinho liked this.
May 26, 2023 at 8:06 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
I don't believe it'd be unusual for the President/CEO to want to be filled in on big transactions. Their job is overseeing the entire team and if you're moving a key player then they would need to be informed of the decision and the reasoning.

The board being involved is very dumb. Especially for a team like the Maple Leafs.

So the phone company is involved in trades?
Saskleaf liked this.
May 27, 2023 at 9:11 a.m.
Looks like Buffalo signed Ryan Johnson, Good for the Sabres!

I wanted to see his rights traded as I was curious about his value.
May 27, 2023 at 9:14 a.m.
Quoting: mondo

This to infinity, but it’s a double edged sword.

Most owners of franchises are fully hands on. That’s why they bought them. They are competing against their peers (other billionaires). They are choosing their roster. No gm is. The gm is doing the work needed to make what the owner wants happen.

This works well when two things happen: there is one primary owner and that person makes good decisions.

When a board is involved you no longer have one point of decision making, and as the board changes, so does the trajectory of the decisions.

Ultimately it is most efficient to have one person have long term authority and accountability, whether it be the owner, or one of the gms in the league (Doug Armstrong as example) who are given more authority than most.

The gms who are “bad” - like Chiarelli - he didn’t make any of the decisions in Edmonton. The owner deserves the blame.
May 27, 2023 at 9:35 a.m.
So the phone company is involved in trades?

calling Rodgers customer service right now to get a lower payment on my phone bill and to get Matthews traded
NHLfan10506, NoVaSpartan and Tintin liked this.
May 27, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.
WentWughes
USA = Fraud team. Enjoy playing for Bronze losers grin
May 27, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.
Bedard23
Edited May 27, 2023 at 1:57 p.m.
The American clown-show continues at the worlds as they blow another semi finals game in absolutely hilarious fashion

90 years since their last gold medal at the worlds
Eissportclub liked this.
May 27, 2023 at 1:53 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
USA = Fraud team. Enjoy playing for Bronze losers grin

They can’t possible blow that game to Latvia, right?
May 27, 2023 at 2:03 p.m.
WentWughes

I mean Latvia gave Canada a run for their money, I'd never say never.
May 27, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Looks like Buffalo signed Ryan Johnson, Good for the Sabres!

I wanted to see his rights traded as I was curious about his value.

They probs would get better value if he had a contract vs just trading his rights

Cause rn if we look there is just no room for him with Samuelsson, Power, Dahlin, Stillman (look who they gave up they aint sitting him), etc
May 27, 2023 at 2:16 p.m.
Amirov Forever
They probs would get better value if he had a contract vs just trading his rights

Cause rn if we look there is just no room for him with Samuelsson, Power, Dahlin, Stillman (look who they gave up they aint sitting him), etc

Johnson > Stillman

Signing Johnson to an ELC really doesn't do much trade value wise, Sabres will happily keep him. Rochester is also an option
May 27, 2023 at 2:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Nathaniel
Johnson > Stillman

Signing Johnson to an ELC really doesn't do much trade value wise, Sabres will happily keep him. Rochester is also an option

True but they gave up a pretty good prospect for Stillman and the coach and GM know the guy so idk if they be scratching him lul

Maybe he goes to AHL but maybe they also use him in a package for someone else
May 27, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Latvia has surprised a lot of people this year. Upset Sweden and gave Canada tough match
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
May 27, 2023 at 4:19 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Juiceman
Latvia has surprised a lot of people this year. Upset Sweden and gave Canada tough match

Would be awesome to see them win Bronze
May 28, 2023 at 11:02 a.m.
WentWughes
Latvia Bronze
USA 4th

LMAO
A_Habs_fan, Juiceman and zk97 liked this.
May 28, 2023 at 12:30 p.m.
Alex Bump Truther
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Latvia Bronze
USA 4th

LMAO

Lane Hutson disaster class
aadoyle and Tintin liked this.
May 28, 2023 at 1:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Leafs legend Rubins eats USA alive

Rip