SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2022 2023 Season Discussion Thread (Part 6: Quest for the Cup)

Apr. 25, 2023 at 6:48 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
Game 5

Jarnkrok-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-JT-Marner
Kerfoot-ROR-Acciari
Bunting-Kampf-Reese or Lafferty

Bunting should stay away from the top 6 as with less ice time less of a chance he screws up again

4th lines been meh so why not add him to try and get things going

Because all it will do is create needless drama Bunting get dragged into and likely handle poorly and cost us.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 7:26 a.m.
average joe
https://twitter.com/TheOakLeafs/status/1650707985893580804?s=20

Could this be the exorcism of the Bruin-Leaf game?
Apr. 25, 2023 at 9:23 a.m.
Go leafs go
Ok, the leafs haven’t won yet, but if they blow this lead, they might as well just fold the whole franchise.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 9:32 a.m.
lol....what an entertaining read this board was today...getting to see all the real-time reactions with the benefit of hindsight.

Love the passion.

Nylander ended up having a great 3rd period.

John Cooper throwing Vasilevskiy under the bus in the post game presser was great to hear ("when you score 4 goals, you expect to win...we need to find a way to keep the puck out of our net")
Apr. 25, 2023 at 10:23 a.m.
Game 5 WITH Bunting

Jarnkrok - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Marner
Bunting - O'Reilly - Acciari
Aston-Reese - Kampf - Kerfoot

Game 5 WITHOUT Bunting

Jarnkrok - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Marner
Kerfoot - O'Reilly - Acciari
Aston-Reese - Kampf - Lafferty
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 10:36 a.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
Quoting: RipNasty
He just can't be trusted. Tampa is going to run him, every chance they get and do you believe Bunting is going to handle that well when the refs just don't call anything?

I mean he did a great job all season of drawing penalties and being a pest. I also understand the argument that they've won 3 in a row without him. If he plays with Matthews and Willy, that means he has a good chance of drawing a penalty from one of Tampa's best checking forwards. I guarantee he understands the severity of going over the line and having to sit 3 games would be sooooo painful as a player. My money's on him being in the lineup come game 5.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 10:38 a.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
Quoting: Juice
lol....what an entertaining read this board was today...getting to see all the real-time reactions with the benefit of hindsight.

Love the passion.

Nylander ended up having a great 3rd period.

John Cooper throwing Vasilevskiy under the bus in the post game presser was great to hear ("when you score 4 goals, you expect to win...we need to find a way to keep the puck out of our net")

Agreed, the passion is real and I really think the buds can close out this series at home. GO LEAFS!
leafs101, RipNasty and MatthewsFan liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 10:52 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: BigDaddyOvech
I mean he did a great job all season of drawing penalties and being a pest. I also understand the argument that they've won 3 in a row without him. If he plays with Matthews and Willy, that means he has a good chance of drawing a penalty from one of Tampa's best checking forwards. I guarantee he understands the severity of going over the line and having to sit 3 games would be sooooo painful as a player. My money's on him being in the lineup come game 5.

Tampa is a cheap and dirty team and they will want some sort of revenge for Cernak. So at the very least Bunting is going to have to answer the bell for that. What scares me is that a) the refs are going to let it happen at the very least or worse case call Bunting for a dive when it happens. Or b) they will go after bunting and try to drag everyone else into it as well to get a free chance at getting Matthews and co into the muck.

Why bother giving them the chance? Sit him for game 5 and if they lose then give him game 6. But if they sit him 1 game then you are sending him a message and also saving yourself from the nonsense Tampa will pull. Send them home and bring Bunting back for the next round. Clean slate.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 11:01 a.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
Tampa is a cheap and dirty team and they will want some sort of revenge for Cernak. So at the very least Bunting is going to have to answer the bell for that. What scares me is that a) the refs are going to let it happen at the very least or worse case call Bunting for a dive when it happens. Or b) they will go after bunting and try to drag everyone else into it as well to get a free chance at getting Matthews and co into the muck.

Why bother giving them the chance? Sit him for game 5 and if they lose then give him game 6. But if they sit him 1 game then you are sending him a message and also saving yourself from the nonsense Tampa will pull. Send them home and bring Bunting back for the next round. Clean slate.

I very much understand your point, but I disagree and I'll explain. To me, this line of thinking represents an underlying reason of why the Leafs have been unable to close out a series. The fear of losing or the fear of someone making a bad play that is costly. This is the playoffs and competition is extremely high, players are going to make mistakes. Sure the argument is to ice the team that makes the least amount of mistakes. But you want to ice the team that gives you the best chance to win. IMO Bunting makes the lineup better. Bunting is a guy that you hate to play against but love on your team, I'm personally rooting for him. To close out the series the Leafs need to take it to them, dictate pace and put more pucks in the net the rest is just noise.
Saskleaf, MatthewsFan and RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 11:28 a.m.
Keefe just confirmed Knies won't be coming out. Rational thinking would say that's assumed, but well, Leafs, so thank god
Apr. 25, 2023 at 11:36 a.m.
Rip
I very much understand your point, but I disagree and I'll explain. To me, this line of thinking represents an underlying reason of why the Leafs have been unable to close out a series. The fear of losing or the fear of someone making a bad play that is costly. This is the playoffs and competition is extremely high, players are going to make mistakes. Sure the argument is to ice the team that makes the least amount of mistakes. But you want to ice the team that gives you the best chance to win. IMO Bunting makes the lineup better. Bunting is a guy that you hate to play against but love on your team, I'm personally rooting for him. To close out the series the Leafs need to take it to them, dictate pace and put more pucks in the net the rest is just noise.

Does he make it better though? Like has his absence hurt Matthews, Marner, Nylander or JT? I don't see it. They are blasting off like we need them to. I know guys on here hate Lafferty for some reason, I think it's the same reason they don't like Engvall. Nothing happens when he's on the ice. Good or bad. And I am totally fine with that. He hits and is fast but doesn't do much one way or another. Same with ZAR. If you don't score what do you do? Keep it out of your net and they do that. Just roll with what has got you this far and re-evaluate after the round is over. Hopefully Thursday night
BigDaddyOvech liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 11:42 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Bunting to me if he comes back should be inserted in the 4th line as they seem to be struggling a bit.

Either go

Bunting-Kampf-Lafferty (Rat + Defense + Defense/Speed)

or

Bunting-Kampf-Reese (Rat + Defense + Defense)

Idk I feel ZAR-Kampf-Lafferty can be good but its just not good against a team like Tampa. But as we saw against Boston they can be effective/dangerous and while still early thats probs the destined matchup with how things are going
RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 11:45 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

This
BigDaddyOvech and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 11:51 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Also, to me the talking points NEED to be around what to do with the Giordano Holl pairing. They are getting lit up, that can’t continue. I don’t know who I would be more comfortable seeing them insert, Gus or Liljegren, but that pairing needs to change
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 12:14 p.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
Does he make it better though? Like has his absence hurt Matthews, Marner, Nylander or JT? I don't see it. They are blasting off like we need them to. I know guys on here hate Lafferty for some reason, I think it's the same reason they don't like Engvall. Nothing happens when he's on the ice. Good or bad. And I am totally fine with that. He hits and is fast but doesn't do much one way or another. Same with ZAR. If you don't score what do you do? Keep it out of your net and they do that. Just roll with what has got you this far and re-evaluate after the round is over. Hopefully Thursday night

Well put. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. If bunting sits, I hope you're right and if bunting plays I hope I'm right. I just want the win!
RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Well put. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. If bunting sits, I hope you're right and if bunting plays I hope I'm right. I just want the win!

I’m also in the camp if he should play but I can see why fans would be hesitant. But the same reasons I wanted Knies in Game One are the same reasons I want Bunting in, he makes us a better team. They are not losing anything if they scratch Lafferty
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 12:20 p.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I’m also in the camp if he should play but I can see why fans would be hesitant. But the same reasons I wanted Knies in Game One are the same reasons I want Bunting in, he makes us a better team. They are not losing anything if they scratch Lafferty

Personally I like Lafferty but he doesn't have the same scoring touch that bunting has. Isn't it nice arguing about all the capable NHLers we have that should be in the lineup instead of worrying about having to give minutes to guys who shouldn't be in the lineup?
RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 12:27 p.m.
Rip

They also aren't losing anything with him in the lineup. We know what will happen with ZAR and Lafferty on the ice. What happens if we replace one of them with Bunting? Is he going to improve those lines? He isn't better defensively, he isn't more physical really but he may be better offensively, or at least scores off the coat-tails of the stars better than others do. But what are the cons? To me this isn't playing to not lose, it's playing smart. Bunting hasn't been smart this year and I just won't risk giving him a chance to screw us with a bad call somewhere. We will never be here saying, "if only we had Bunting in for game 5" but there is definitely a high chance that we could be saying "yeah we should have sat Bunting there". All it will take is one non call against him or him getting an embellishment call for it to cost us.

So with that in mind, the risks far out weigh the benefits. If there are even any. Like he's not going to bump Knies out of the 2nd line, nor will he bump Jarnkrok. So he's going to be in the bottom 6 and while he likely is a better option on line 3 with ROR and Acciari, I am totally fine with Kerfoot there. So 4th line? Is he going to offer any more offence playing with Kampf and ZAR/Lafferty than the other two? I don't see it. I would throw him back into the top 6 for the next round though. I just think with his track record, the way Tampa plays and how the refs have called the series, it just doesn't make any sense to play him. No harm comes from sitting him. It won't cost us the game but his antics certainly could. Why even bother. Just sit him for a game, win and then reset.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 12:28 p.m.
Rip
Personally I like Lafferty but he doesn't have the same scoring touch that bunting has. Isn't it nice arguing about all the capable NHLers we have that should be in the lineup instead of worrying about having to give minutes to guys who shouldn't be in the lineup?

Right? And that further cements my stance on this. We are fine without vs Tampa. Why not just really drive home his need to be disciplined, win with our NHL quality depth and then bring him back for the next round where we will need more offence.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
They also aren't losing anything with him in the lineup. We know what will happen with ZAR and Lafferty on the ice. What happens if we replace one of them with Bunting? Is he going to improve those lines? He isn't better defensively, he isn't more physical really but he may be better offensively, or at least scores off the coat-tails of the stars better than others do. But what are the cons? To me this isn't playing to not lose, it's playing smart. Bunting hasn't been smart this year and I just won't risk giving him a chance to screw us with a bad call somewhere. We will never be here saying, "if only we had Bunting in for game 5" but there is definitely a high chance that we could be saying "yeah we should have sat Bunting there". All it will take is one non call against him or him getting an embellishment call for it to cost us.

So with that in mind, the risks far out weigh the benefits. If there are even any. Like he's not going to bump Knies out of the 2nd line, nor will he bump Jarnkrok. So he's going to be in the bottom 6 and while he likely is a better option on line 3 with ROR and Acciari, I am totally fine with Kerfoot there. So 4th line? Is he going to offer any more offence playing with Kampf and ZAR/Lafferty than the other two? I don't see it. I would throw him back into the top 6 for the next round though. I just think with his track record, the way Tampa plays and how the refs have called the series, it just doesn't make any sense to play him. No harm comes from sitting him. It won't cost us the game but his antics certainly could. Why even bother. Just sit him for a game, win and then reset.

At least we are finding common ground, I don’t want nor to I believe they would put Bunting on the 4th line, he would be a terrible fit there. I would see Acciari moving down to the 4th line to replace him.

Lafferty didn’t deserve a spot in the lineup in the regular season and certainly hasn’t done anything to stay in the lineup other than taking a very undisciplined penalty. He brings no physical play (players with more hits Knies, Kerfoot, Tavares,
Kampf, ZAR, Matthews, McCabe, Schenn, Acciari) Lafferty with 8.
The only reason I would consider him over ZAR is his speed but even then he does nothing with it.

There is a greater concern over the Gio Holl pairing continuing to get exploited than the potential of a Bunting penalty
Saskleaf and RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
Rip
At least we are finding common ground, I don’t want nor to I believe they would put Bunting on the 4th line, he would be a terrible fit there. I would see Acciari moving down to the 4th line to replace him.

Lafferty didn’t deserve a spot in the lineup in the regular season and certainly hasn’t done anything to stay in the lineup other than taking a very undisciplined penalty. He brings no physical play (players with more hits Knies, Kerfoot, Tavares,
Kampf, ZAR, Matthews, McCabe, Schenn, Acciari) Lafferty with 8.
The only reason I would consider him over ZAR is his speed but even then he does nothing with it.

There is a greater concern over the Gio Holl pairing continuing to get exploited than the potential of a Bunting penalty

Gio and Holl will always have worse games on the road than at home where they can get the better matchups. I am not worried about them. They are our best options still. Liljegren isn't good enough in his own end to take Holl out, certainly isn't good enough on the PK either. So they stay.

Lafferty reminds me of Engvall. Nothing happens when he's on the ice and I am fine with that. For now anyways
Apr. 25, 2023 at 5:39 p.m.
I didn't love parts of the game last night and sure, credit to Tampa for some of that but man.
.. this team needs to start ON TIME!!

Continuously defending a Tampa attack is going to cost like it almost did last night. Need to have steady O-zone time to avoid that.

Also... I want to call out the Keefe lovers. It's 4 games into the series and Keefe finally realizes that splitting up Matthews and Marner is a good idea. Like come on dude, wake up and realize that Tampa has trouble when your top forwards are spread across 3 lines.

I'm just so unimpressed with Keefe and feel decisions like these that take forever to get to are part of why this team in a general sense struggles.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 7:27 p.m.
Amirov Forever
342724845_1255795605136685_674054296263816611_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=OxvqwKrzVeAAX9mieyA&_nc_oc=AQnigGDqX9CqYEgG9nxQgCOwu6vPiE6rxHTuJ0MPrIbQU2P8__e0DfBWHkbGxmPAs08&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfB7H0Y30rj8oB4QTclOTw2H8uw63IcNnTyzxdhP4bYjyw&oe=644E2CE2

File this under pics that go hard
Apr. 25, 2023 at 7:28 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Nathaniel
342724845_1255795605136685_674054296263816611_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=OxvqwKrzVeAAX9mieyA&_nc_oc=AQnigGDqX9CqYEgG9nxQgCOwu6vPiE6rxHTuJ0MPrIbQU2P8__e0DfBWHkbGxmPAs08&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfB7H0Y30rj8oB4QTclOTw2H8uw63IcNnTyzxdhP4bYjyw&oe=644E2CE2

File this under pics that go hard

I have literally no idea who this is
Saskleaf and BigDaddyOvech liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 8:14 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Random2152
I have literally no idea who this is

Gotta watch the Jays
MatthewsFan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options: