SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2022 2023 Season Discussion Thread (Part 6: Quest for the Cup)

May 5, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Probably

Would be a good story especially if we come out with a win game 3

Wayne challenges him wins and then Sam realizes **** I ****ed up and doesnt come back
May 5, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle

Wayne challenges him wins and then Sam realizes **** I ****ed up and doesnt come back

Sorry, so we are clear, I hate the idea of Simmonds coming into the lineup. He is coming in to do 1 thing, fight. That's it and will be a liability the rest of the way.

If anything I see Gus coming in for Knies (go 11/7) to mange Gio mins cause god help us if Keefe should sit him. And Holl will probably come in for Liljegren.
May 5, 2023 at 1:59 p.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
DOPS IS A ****ING JOKE

Literally Sam Bennett attempted to injure 2 of our LW and suceeded with one

"LeAfS CoUlD uSe A GuY lIKe tHaT" anyone of our boyz do what Bennett did to knies they would have got suspended a game

At least they fined him

I find the fine to be completely dumb. It says to the player that you can get away with intentional cross check to the head and it only costs you $5k, which is NOTHING to any player in the NHL.
May 5, 2023 at 2:03 p.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
Quoting: Nathaniel
Knies is out for 2 games with a concussion... Leafs need to respond to s*** like this. Can't let Bennett get off scot-free. If the Leafs dont play a heavier game in Game 3, this series is over

I think the best way for the Leafs to respond is to target Bob and Barkov. Like accidental falling on goalie, drive the net, make them push you into the goalie. Then when Florida reacts, team toughness mentality. Nobody has to drop gloves, just tie up a guy and eat a couple gloved punches to the face if you have to and hopefully they take the dumb penalty. With Barkov, he needs to be hit every time he has the puck. Small jabs, taps and cross checks at every opportunity.
May 5, 2023 at 2:05 p.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
I would also challenge Bunting to get under Tkatchuk's skin. Bunting takes a ton of abuse anyways, we all know Matty can be rattled, put it to the test. Even if he snaps and jumps bunting, I'd take that trade off to have him TKatchuk off the ice for 5, and possibly instigator.
May 5, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 5, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.
Quoting: BigDaddyOvech
I find the fine to be completely dumb. It says to the player that you can get away with intentional cross check to the head and it only costs you $5k, which is NOTHING to any player in the NHL.

Honestly fines should be more than 5K.

Make it to where a player really doesnt want to do it cause they dont want to lose $$$$$

5k is child's play make it 10k or every time they get fined cost goes up. 5k-10k-15k. Will teach em to play cleaner (resets end of season going to next). People might go thats to harsh to that I say go look at punishments in other sports heck life

Talking on a cellphone while driving used to be a 200 dollar fine. Now its demerit points and a 2k fine. People might say thats overkill but its worked with less incidents. If NHL makes crosschecking fines higher than 5k (10-15k range) the numbers will drop
BigDaddyOvech liked this.
May 5, 2023 at 2:16 p.m.
I would also challenge Bunting to get under Tkatchuk's skin. Bunting takes a ton of abuse anyways, we all know Matty can be rattled, put it to the test. Even if he snaps and jumps bunting, I'd take that trade off to have him TKatchuk off the ice for 5, and possibly instigator.

only fine line is that Tkachuk kinda feeds off playing agitated. Its either he'll play unreal or get a stupid penalty when you try to piss him off, very fine line
May 5, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
Sorry, so we are clear, I hate the idea of Simmonds coming into the lineup. He is coming in to do 1 thing, fight. That's it and will be a liability the rest of the way.

If anything I see Gus coming in for Knies (go 11/7) to mange Gio mins cause god help us if Keefe should sit him. And Holl will probably come in for Liljegren.

11/7 pleaseeee

I don't wanna force Gio out of the lineup but I also want him playing less, best of both worlds. I think Lily prob stays and also gets fewer mins, then yea if I had to guess Holl's coming in as the 7th but I trust all 3 of them with the limited exposure that'd come with 11/7 And backs against the wall I want us to load 3 F lines up and run the big boys anyways. Use Kampf maybe where you might otherwise have JT taking a d-zone start, PK, key defensive situations, and otherwise run the big boys.
May 5, 2023 at 2:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

There was one guy who did it best but he hurt his neck

God Jake Muzzin would be perfect rn

As that tantrum Tkachuck threw at him would have 100% happened again if he was playing this series
May 5, 2023 at 2:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
There was one guy who did it best but he hurt his neck

God Jake Muzzin would be perfect rn

As that tantrum Tkachuck threw at him would have 100% happened again if he was playing this series

May 5, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.
Rip
Where the fukc do you get Matthews out of that?

Changing the core. Who goes? Nylander for some tough guy? Nah that's a bad trade. It's not the core it's the coach man.
May 5, 2023 at 2:29 p.m.
Rip
Knies is out for 2 games with a concussion... Leafs need to respond to s*** like this. Can't let Bennett get off scot-free. If the Leafs dont play a heavier game in Game 3, this series is over

They need to win, not get dragged into the muck.
May 5, 2023 at 2:30 p.m.
Rip

Bennett will just ignore it, responding now is just getting dragged into their game. Do that and it's over. Leafs need to change the series and nullify their strengths, doing the same but getting mad and stupid is exactly what they want.
May 5, 2023 at 2:32 p.m.
Rip

Tkachuk has grown up, now he does stuff to get the other team off their game and then skates away. Beat em on the scoreboard. Be tight as hell defensively, never give the puck away easily. Make them have to find ways to beat you not the constant turnovers they capitalize on. Florida is the best team in the playoffs at that. And TO's system is prone to giveaways. Gotta change that
May 5, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 5, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
Tkachuk has grown up, now he does stuff to get the other team off their game and then skates away. Beat em on the scoreboard. Be tight as hell defensively, never give the puck away easily. Make them have to find ways to beat you not the constant turnovers they capitalize on. Florida is the best team in the playoffs at that. And TO's system is prone to giveaways. Gotta change that

Muzzin would get under his skin. Tkachuck hasnt changed one bit hes still a rat just got better skill wise.

As Tkachuck forever now knows this man got to him and is his daddy. The picture meme is still out there.

Cause Doughty still to this day gets to him. Muzzin learned that trick from him and so will do other things to piss him off as Tkachuck got a short fuse

And they aint the best team just getting a lot of lady luck. Idk what game your watching Leafs have been utterly dominating them just posts and puck luck aint on their side. Should have been 6-3 by the end of that game for us especially with all the Nylander chances that hit posts or went wide
May 5, 2023 at 2:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Bennett will just ignore it, responding now is just getting dragged into their game. Do that and it's over. Leafs need to change the series and nullify their strengths, doing the same but getting mad and stupid is exactly what they want.

U dont know Bennett well do u. When somebody challanges him he often responds. If not he just gets his world rocked and loses that tough guy image. Look what happened when he took runs at players in the past. Team next game would send their tough guy to teach him a lesson and it often worked

When hes on the ice Schenn and Simmonds should be out to rock his world and heck maybe give him a taste of his own medicine. As eventually hes gonna have enough and respond
May 5, 2023 at 3:03 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Changing the core. Who goes? Nylander for some tough guy? Nah that's a bad trade. It's not the core it's the coach man.

Yes the "core" Where did I say anything about Matthews, Marner, Nylander etc

<a href=tor-playoffs.jpg">

Out of the remaining teams left in the playoffs (VGS, EDM, SEA, DAL, NJD, CAR, FLA) TOR is the ONLY team with multiple players under 40% Corsi (5) and under 40% SCF (9). No other team has more than 2, some on none.

I will be more than happy to see a new coach, possibly GM, and roster overhaul next year. But continue to putting words in my mouth.

I am sick of this team being Matthews/Marner go off or bust.

NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
May 5, 2023 at 3:08 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Yes the "core" Where did I say anything about Matthews, Marner, Nylander etc

tor-playoffs.jpg">

Out of the remaining teams left in the playoffs (VGS, EDM, SEA, DAL, NJD, CAR, FLA) TOR is the ONLY team with multiple players under 40% Corsi (5) and under 40% SCF (9). No other team has more than 2, some on none.

I will be more than happy to see a new coach, possibly GM, and roster overhaul next year. But continue to putting words in my mouth.

I am sick of this team being Matthews/Marner go off or bust.

GM Jason to the rescue. The thing that has definitely stuck out to me the most in this year's playoffs is just much we are carried by Matthews and Marner. Our depth doesn't stack up against Tampas or even Florida's. I'm
curious to see what happens this offseason, but I'm not going to worry about it until we are finished with the playoffs.
MatthewsFan liked this.
May 5, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
To me despite the stats the series will shift when Nylander gets going

Once he buries one the floodgates are opening

As Bob can only hold Lady luck for so long. Posts wont save him forever and if Nylander does what he did Period 3 for a full 60mins man RIP Bobs stats
May 5, 2023 at 3:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
To me despite the stats the series will shift when Nylander gets going

Once he buries one the floodgates are opening

As Bob can only hold Lady luck for so long. Posts wont save him forever and if Nylander does what he did Period 3 for a full 60mins man RIP Bobs stats

(Nylander has been good all series and the only reason people are pretending he hasnt is because his PDO is rock bottom)
May 5, 2023 at 3:24 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
GM Jason to the rescue. The thing that has definitely stuck out to me the most in this year's playoffs is just much we are carried by Matthews and Marner. Our depth doesn't stack up against Tampas or even Florida's. I'm
curious to see what happens this offseason, but I'm not going to worry about it until we are finished with the playoffs.

Our depth has not been able to stack up for multiple years. Going 1-4 through 5 home playoff games is absolutely ****ing embarrassing. Again, another series where Sheldon Keefe is not able to make the necessary adjustments to counteract the opposition. In his career Keefe has a home playoff record of 5-11. While his teams are 7-4 on the road a clear indicator a coach is overthinking matchups.

Through two games so far, this series has very much felt like Sheldon Keefe is up to his old tricks, loading up the top guys with huge minutes as if nobody else really matters
May 5, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
(Nylander has been good all series and the only reason people are pretending he hasnt is because his PDO is rock bottom)

Thats why im saying he bats one in RIP Florida

As hes doing everything but score. Well maybe defensive play could be a bit better but meh thats not him. Cause man that third period was Willy just being a dangerous man. Just couldnt finish lul

If he carries over his play from the third period for game 3 in its entirety Florida barely gonna have the puck and its gonna be 7-2 with 5 goal Willy lul

Look out Draisaitl soon a new challenger will emerge for playoff goal leader
May 5, 2023 at 4:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 5, 2023 at 4:17 p.m.
Kind of find it funny how people complaining about the depth when its been them getting the goals

All our goals but 1 is from depth heck is ROR a core guy probs no so u could argue also depth (Unless he stays and they give him an A)

Knies 1 goal (Depth)
Kerfoot 1 goal (Depth)
Bunting (3rd line) 1 goal (Depth)
ROR 1 goal

Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander and Rielly have had their chances but just aint delivering the finish we need

Meanwhile from Florida only 1 depth guys have scored if we counting blue liners than 3. Bennett, Lundell and Verheage are core guys by now

Cousins 1 goal (Depth)
Bennett 1 goal (Core)
Verheage 1 goal (Core)
Lundell 1 goal (Core)
Montour 1 goal
Forsling 1 goal
Barkov 1 goal (Core)

What Florida is getting is a lot of lady luck on their side especially when it comes to Bob. Leafs will respond as we have seen them do this before (2018 vs. BOS) cause lady luck can only last so long for Bob and his posts. As before Knies got hurt he and the third line were doing a good job and the fourth line had some good moments, but than Knies gets hurt and we see 2 bad plays from the big 4 and it all comes tumbling down. But first things first get Gio out for Gustafsson.
MatthewsFan liked this.
May 5, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Actually nah instead of simmonds bring up Clifford

Guys been having fun in the AHL playoffs and whenever he comes up for us he seems to have 1 or 2 good games. Lets bring up the big red wrecking machine
May 5, 2023 at 4:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: leafs101
11/7 pleaseeee

I don't wanna force Gio out of the lineup but I also want him playing less, best of both worlds. I think Lily prob stays and also gets fewer mins, then yea if I had to guess Holl's coming in as the 7th but I trust all 3 of them with the limited exposure that'd come with 11/7 And backs against the wall I want us to load 3 F lines up and run the big boys anyways. Use Kampf maybe where you might otherwise have JT taking a d-zone start, PK, key defensive situations, and otherwise run the big boys.

Gio should be out. Hes aged 10 years in this series and Florida is eating him alive. We thought it was hole nope Gio also a big issue.

He is just getting beat almost every play and enoughts enough

If u go 7 hes out and u put Holl back in as maybe Holl is the guy u need. Little rest in the box might have helped

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll