Forums/Armchair-GM

Run it back w Helleybuck

Created by: Drew402
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 13, 2023
Published: May 13, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Re-sign Samsonov with a Winnipeg friendly contract. Hellebuyck will walk from Winnipeg for nothing next year and would prefer not to be a part of the needed Winnipeg re-build this year. Leafs give up young defensive and left wing wing prospects in Timmins & Robertson, along with a top 10 goalie in Samsonov. Jets would accept because Timmins & Robertson don't have control over where they go and nobody wants to live in the **** hole that is Winnipeg as it is. Hellebuyck plays his best around 55-60 games per year. Woll proved he can be good in the NHL. Give him 20-25 games a year.

Bring back the grit wizard Dubas signed before the trade deadline in O'Reilly, Schenn & Acciari.

Sign Barbashev for nearly double his salary because VGK can't afford him with their cap issues.

Sign the cap friendly, ever defensively reliable, 4th line face off expert in Kampf.

Re-sign the under rated, under utilized Gustafsson.....38 points in 61 games and a +9 with Washington. Why the **** did we not use him more?

Gio should retire or be the 7th dman.

Let Holl walk.....FINALLY.

Let Kerfoot walk. Can't afford more than 3.5 mill for him unless he signs for a discount.

Don't resign Bunting. We have enough grit now and refs figured out his ploys to draw penalties. Plus his contract demands won't be cap friendly because of his points totals. But this was only because he played with Matthews & Marner/Nylander.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
3$4,500,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,800,000
3$4,100,000
2$1,900,000
Trades
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,500,000$83,376,450$0$0$123,550
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
UFA - 4
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C
UFA - 4
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 13, 2023 at 10:17 p.m.
Goalies don't usually get much of a return but dam that's basically nothing
MisstheWhalers liked this.
May 13, 2023 at 10:39 p.m.
Drew402
read the description above. breaks down every signing/trade.
May 14, 2023 at 12:00 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: SociallyHawkward
Goalies don't usually get much of a return but dam that's basically nothing

I mean not really Wpg gets a good young goalie, a young Dman who was solid in his limited games and a prospect who if healthy has potential. All are RFA's with control. You could throw in a pick but look what Kuemper got

1st + 3rd (was conditional if Avs won cup and he played 50% of games) + Timmins

Like if they planning to blow it up this works as they get young players to build around. Samsonov is 26 and he can be their guy till one of their prospects is ready or he could develop into another Hellybuyck as hes still young. Like its not that unrealistic
May 14, 2023 at 12:26 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Jets aren't adding a 3rd for that measly return.
May 14, 2023 at 4:28 a.m.
Lol
May 14, 2023 at 12:59 p.m.
Drew402
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Jets aren't adding a 3rd for that measly return.

i'm open to not including a third. i didn't realize jets fans would covet a third round option. but if it means acceptance of the proposal, i'm ok with that.
May 14, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
Drew402
Quoting: aadoyle
I mean not really Wpg gets a good young goalie, a young Dman who was solid in his limited games and a prospect who if healthy has potential. All are RFA's with control. You could throw in a pick but look what Kuemper got

Like if they planning to blow it up this works as they get young players to build around. Samsonov is 26 and he can be their guy till one of their prospects is ready or he could develop into another Hellybuyck as hes still young. Like its not that unrealistic

You're right. thanks for pointing that out re: RFAs. Thanks for the acknowledgement of it not being completely unrealistic. Trying to actually make decent prosposals without un-helpful or well thought out criticism is rare here.

I think Jets have to blow it up. Wheeler & Schiefele are a toxic core that need to be disbanded. Chevedayoff is returning. He has backed Bowness. Bowness went off at the end of the jets pitiful post season. Wheeler spoke out against Bowness' disclosures. Just have to read between the lines. Unfortunately I can't see them moving Wheeler's contract without retaining money, so i expect Scheif to be traded and Wheeler to walk when his contract is up. Not to mention Pierre Luc Dubois wants out. Knowing the "cost conscientious" Jets, they won't risk losing Helley when he becomes a UFA next year. You gotta build around Lowry, Morrisey & Connor. I say adding prospects in Robertson and Timmins alongside Perfetti give some hope for the Jets future. Those guys just need ice time and avoid injuries to establish themselves. They haven't had that opportunity with the Leafs. Plus Samsonov is a good goalie.
May 14, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
Drew402
Quoting: CF18GM
Lol

Case and point. Thanks for the feedback, constructive criticism and alternative proposal. Your critical thinking is on full display.
May 14, 2023 at 1:31 p.m.
Quoting: Drew402
read the description above. breaks down every signing/trade.

Oh wow, here is a Leaf supporter in a "world of hurt"... Truly, you may believe that people/players don't want to live in this ****hole the way it is, but again some rather do enjoy the life style, including players.

Now, as far as your take in your description and offering, what have you offered of value to Winnipeg. Sorry, but what you have documented/written here is an offer to open discussions, starting with insulting Wpg. Now that we have that out of the way, revisit and reconsider with a fair offer.
May 14, 2023 at 2:37 p.m.
Drew402
Quoting: Camper27
Oh wow, here is a Leaf supporter in a "world of hurt"... Truly, you may believe that people/players don't want to live in this ****hole the way it is, but again some rather do enjoy the life style, including players.

Now, as far as your take in your description and offering, what have you offered of value to Winnipeg. Sorry, but what you have documented/written here is an offer to open discussions, starting with insulting Wpg. Now that we have that out of the way, revisit and reconsider with a fair offer.

Haha. we leafs fan are used to the world of hurt. Its not about my personal belief, though I have experience living here. Its been documented that the Jets team is among the top ranked teams on players no trade clause lists. https://www.espn.com/blog/craig-custance/insider/post/_/id/9006. You don't think some of the highest taxes in the country, a long winter that reaches upwards of -50 with windchill, a place with relatively terrible nightlife and entertainment, high crime/suicide rates has something to do with it? Don't get me wrong. Great place in the offseason if you're into cabin country and golf, but you can get that anywhere.

Now, as per a reconsideration, I'm totally open. You agree Chevy won't let Helley walk for nothing? Lets say we take away the third round pick. Is that fair? What do you propose Jets receive? I don't agree Helley for Samsonov is an equal trade. Jets could use some promising prospects that could flourish if given the right amount of ice time no?
May 14, 2023 at 3:16 p.m.
Case and point. Thanks for the feedback, constructive criticism and alternative proposal. Your critical thinking is on full display.

No need to feed trolls, i'm good.
May 14, 2023 at 8:07 p.m.

Hellebucyk is 10 time the goalie kuemper is.

Samsonov is too old for a rebuild.

Timmins is barely a 6th defenseman at age 24. Probably gonna end up being a career AHLer.

Robertson is damaged goods. His value has plummeted. He may turn into a middle 6 guy but that's the only value Toronto is giving up for a top 5 goalie in the league. It's laughably bad.
May 14, 2023 at 8:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 14, 2023 at 8:27 p.m.
Quoting: SociallyHawkward
Hellebucyk is 10 time the goalie kuemper is.

Samsonov is too old for a rebuild.

Timmins is barely a 6th defenseman at age 24. Probably gonna end up being a career AHLer.

Robertson is damaged goods. His value has plummeted. He may turn into a middle 6 guy but that's the only value Toronto is giving up for a top 5 goalie in the league. It's laughably bad.

In general 1 year left and has made his intentions clear. Teams dont have to give a whole lot as he could just leave in FA and they can sign him then

The return Kuemper got is probs what WPG will get only the second pick wouldnt be conditional.

As lets be real WPG asks for to much teams can wait as the price will drop the closer he gets to FA. As they know and I said this before they can sign him as a FA cause unless WPG really turns it around hes gone.
May 14, 2023 at 9:18 p.m.
Haha. we leafs fan are used to the world of hurt. Its not about my personal belief, though I have experience living here. Its been documented that the Jets team is among the top ranked teams on players no trade clause lists. https://www.espn.com/blog/craig-custance/insider/post/_/id/9006. You don't think some of the highest taxes in the country, a long winter that reaches upwards of -50 with windchill, a place with relatively terrible nightlife and entertainment, high crime/suicide rates has something to do with it? Don't get me wrong. Great place in the offseason if you're into cabin country and golf, but you can get that anywhere.

Now, as per a reconsideration, I'm totally open. You agree Chevy won't let Helley walk for nothing? Lets say we take away the third round pick. Is that fair? What do you propose Jets receive? I don't agree Helley for Samsonov is an equal trade. Jets could use some promising prospects that could flourish if given the right amount of ice time no?

Yep, no kidding you and other Leaf fans are in a world of hurt..... Dating back to 1967, I too was a true Leaf fan at the time, The Big M was everything, including many of those guys on that team.... And then I began to see what folks in the "Big Smoke" were clearly about. But, say what you want about our province and city, GTA has its issues as well... I have spent limited amounts of time there for business purpose, but enough time to get an opinion and all I will say, get me home, please. Just my opinion and I respect your opinion, but you need to live it here to understand...

Perhaps you may want to reconsider again... removing the 3rd really is no improvement... Your offering of Timmins and Robertson, what do they bring to the Jets? Do these two guys make or help the Jets or are they Moose players.... I have my concerns and can't see that as a benefit... Last, now we are down to the goal keepers... I don't believe your keeper can't play 50 - 60 games, or in the Vezina running... I honestly believe you need to revisit and think about your offering to Wpg? I see that you do know your hockey and truly agree with many of your moves for the Leafs minus the Jets stuff... Yes, stay away from Barbashev, he should be a future Jet.... lol
May 15, 2023 at 12:59 a.m.
In general 1 year left and has made his intentions clear. Teams dont have to give a whole lot as he could just leave in FA and they can sign him then

The return Kuemper got is probs what WPG will get only the second pick wouldnt be conditional.

As lets be real WPG asks for to much teams can wait as the price will drop the closer he gets to FA. As they know and I said this before they can sign him as a FA cause unless WPG really turns it around hes gone.

Sure 1 year left is tough but if they find a team he'll extend with then they'll get a boat load. If not they can still retain half his contract and there's a bunch of teams in the playoffs right now that would pay a premium for a top 5 goalie for 3 mil. Literally every team left in the playoffs right now needs a goalie besides Dallas. He'd get way more than kuemper no matter what cus he's a perennial vezina finalist.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll