Forums/Armchair-GM

Next year Stars

Created by: mvp13
Team: 2023-24 Dallas Stars
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 3, 2023
Published: May 17, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
With the Stars reaching the Final Four, I see no reason why they wouldn't run it back. Obviously, this comes with some subtractions, but I don't think it'll be too bad.

Similarly to this year, the top line is the top line, and the 2nd and 3rd will get pretty equal playing time.

Domi gets matched with Marchment. He's been great with DAL, but not too great where I think he'll get a 6mil offer or anything too crazy. I think his contract is very fair for what he brings. The guy probably just wants some multi-year stability, which DAL would be happy to provide.

There would be no money for Dadonov in this case, so he will get his roster spot replaced by Stankoven, who was probably close to making the team after training camp. If he can't keep up, then Dellandrea will slot in. This spot will be a prime suspect for a TDL rental.

I really wanted to keep Glendening, but think he will surely get an offer for his current contract, which DAL would struggle to match. Kiviranta has looked good in the playoffs and has been getting games over both Glendening/Dellandrea, so I think they do re-sign him. If Nill prefers Glendening, or Kiviranta wants more, then sub in Glendening for a similar contract to Kiviranta here.

While Dellandrea somewhat produced in his spot with Benn and Johnston, I don't think he's done anything too consistent to warrant a bigger contract than 1mil right now, and assuming Stankoven can keep up, he will be relegated to the 4th line regardless. However, if he holds out, I can see his rights being traded, and Nill sticking with Glendening instead.

The defense is really solid right now. I would primarily keep it as is. Harley looks great back there and I imagine he will be full time next year. Miller has been getting benched for Hanley on occasion and will be a cap casualty. But, after sending NYR a 1st rounder last season, they really gotta go back with Lundkvist for another full year and see what they have in his contract year. I'm really surprised he hasn't gotten a single look all playoffs.

Goaltending is very self-explanatory.

This team will be a powerhouse in the Central division for years to come. It's crazy they had so many doubters and continue to have them. We must be watching different games!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$775,000
1$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,500,000
1$775,000
1$1,200,000
Trades
DAL
    Cap dump. Wherever for whatever
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$83,500,000$83,319,496$372,829$3,570,000$180,504

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $7,750,000$7,750,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 3
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $8,450,000$8,450,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $3,500,000$3,500,000 (Performance Bonus$2,000,000$2M)
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $894,167$894,167
    C
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $814,167$814,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    C, RW
    RFA - 3
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $9,850,000$9,850,000
    C, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $3,650,000$3,650,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $8,450,000$8,450,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 6
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    G
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $5,800,000$5,800,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Dallas Stars
    $775,000$775,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 17, 2023 at 6:51 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    As a Stars fan I'd want to bring a Top4 D-man in. Our defense as it is is just too reliant on Miro performing. If he's injured, that good core suddenly drops to level of Columbus.

I like Domi, but I don't see us being in position to keep him around.

I would at this stage not sign Domi, try to keep Dadonov with 1x1,5 contract, and potentially trade Hakanpää+Lundkvist+2024 1st for a proper D that's able to play first pair, then run them as follows:

Suter-Heiskanen (would also consider buying Suter out since his buyout is cheap, but he's been solid in the playoffs so might as well keep him)

Harley-X (the new D would slot in here, whether it's via trade or signing some UFA like Severson)

Lindell-Miller (while Lindell and Hakanpää did form a good PK pair, these two together were fairly clumsy with the puck, and Miller imo works better with Lindell's weaknesses and vice versa)

Hanley can remain as the 7th D.
    TheMooterus and mvp13 liked this.
    May 17, 2023 at 7:13 a.m.
    Edited May 17, 2023 at 7:22 a.m.
    Quoting: justaBoss
    As a Stars fan I'd want to bring a Top4 D-man in. Our defense as it is is just too reliant on Miro performing. If he's injured, that good core suddenly drops to level of Columbus.

I would at this stage not sign Domi, try to keep Dadonov with 1x1,5 contract, and potentially trade Hakanpää+Lundkvist+2024 1st for a proper D that's able to play first pair, then run them as follows:

Suter-Heiskanen (would also consider buying Suter out since his buyout is cheap, but he's been solid in the playoffs so might as well keep him)

Harley-X (the new D would slot in here, whether it's via trade or signing some UFA like Severson)

Lindell-Miller (while Lindell and Hakanpää did form a good PK pair, these two together were fairly clumsy with the puck, and Miller imo works better with Lindell's weaknesses and vice versa)

I like this take a lot. The blue line aside from Miro has simply not been good enough in the playoffs. If they can find a way to add a say...Gavrikov level player for the top 4, I think that'd be extremely helpful (Not Gavrikov himself cause money, but roughly that level of player.

I really hope they make an effort to bring back Domi cause he looks better than he ever has in Dallas. It'll be really tough, especially if they target a D man, but I think you gotta try and find a way to make it work. If Domi just wants to cash in on this season and take say, 5.5 AAV from a mediocre team with cash to throw around, then of well, but hopefully he's willing to stick around with a discount (since thats really the only way Dallas can afford to keep him). If he does dip, I think you pivot and try to bring back Dadonov for cheap.

Maybe the numbers are just never gonna work with Domi, but I think you've gotta make an effort given how he's looked. I do think adding a top 4 D is priority number 1 though and everything else checks out as well.
    justaBoss liked this.
    May 17, 2023 at 9:03 a.m.
    Hakanpää+Lundkvist+2024 1st probably doesnt get a 1st pair Dman.
    May 17, 2023 at 9:48 a.m.
    True Reverse Retro

This is the correct way to approach the offseason, IMO. As much as I'd love to bring back one of Dadonov or Domi, the Stars cannot roll into next season with Hakanpaa or Miller in their top-4. Win the Cup or lose to Vegas, they still need to upgrade the right side of their blue line.
    justaBoss liked this.
    May 17, 2023 at 9:53 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: BankersBox
    Hakanpää+Lundkvist+2024 1st probably doesnt get a 1st pair Dman.

Not a first pair necessarily, but someone that can play first pair with a franchise D-man like Miro in the future, and someone to lead with example to Harley.

Someone like Pesce, for instance, but I don't think he himself is available. Someone of close to similar level though.
    May 17, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
    Not a first pair necessarily, but someone that can play first pair with a franchise D-man like Miro in the future, and someone to lead with example to Harley.

Someone like Pesce, for instance, but I don't think he himself is available. Someone of close to similar level though.

Someone like Pesce would cost more..2024 1st, Stankoven and Stranges ?

I know you are just using Pesce as an example, the original package probably doesn't get a dman of that quality.
    May 17, 2023 at 11:05 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: BankersBox
    Someone like Pesce would cost more..2024 1st, Stankoven and Stranges ?

I know you are just using Pesce as an example, the original package probably doesn't get a dman of that quality.

If that's the cost, I'd just look at UFA market. Hakanpää+Lundkvist+1st is basically equivalent to two firsts - gotta be pretty high value D if two firsts aren't enough.

It's not far from the package Chychrun got, although the first rounder in that trade was a higher one. That was 1st+2nd+2nd.
    May 18, 2023 at 12:08 a.m.

I appreciate the different perspective, it's interesting for sure. I thought Lindell and Hakanpaa has been a really strong shut down pair. I'm hoping with Harley coming in he'd elevate minutes for the 3rd pair, and that would take the brunt off Miro. He doesn't really seem to care whether he's on the left or right; even with other options all year he's played the right for large stretches. Same for last year.

I can't imagine Dadonov would sign a 1.5mil contract; he's been putting up good points in DAL since arriving and coming off a 5mil deal... if you use the Domi money here for a top 4 RHD - which are commonly more expensive than LHD - then it really leaves the forward depth in the balance, especially if Stankoven just isn't ready for full time play just yet.

I'll keep an eye out if anyone makes a team going that route, or might make a stab at it myself at some point. Both areas can definitely use improvement, but I just thought that the defense has been solid enough all year that it didn't warrant a big change like that, whereas getting the TDL forwards has given them a massive boost in the late season and obviously the playoffs
    justaBoss liked this.
    May 18, 2023 at 4:55 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: mvp13
    I appreciate the different perspective, it's interesting for sure. I thought Lindell and Hakanpaa has been a really strong shut down pair. I'm hoping with Harley coming in he'd elevate minutes for the 3rd pair, and that would take the brunt off Miro. He doesn't really seem to care whether he's on the left or right; even with other options all year he's played the right for large stretches. Same for last year.

I can't imagine Dadonov would sign a 1.5mil contract; he's been putting up good points in DAL since arriving and coming off a 5mil deal... if you use the Domi money here for a top 4 RHD - which are commonly more expensive than LHD - then it really leaves the forward depth in the balance, especially if Stankoven just isn't ready for full time play just yet.

I'll keep an eye out if anyone makes a team going that route, or might make a stab at it myself at some point. Both areas can definitely use improvement, but I just thought that the defense has been solid enough all year that it didn't warrant a big change like that, whereas getting the TDL forwards has given them a massive boost in the late season and obviously the playoffs

To be fair I just figured Dadonov as a veteran would rather just want to stay with a contender instead of moving to fifth different team in a span of 2 years. He's made his money but has no playoff success yet. Kinda similar how Corey Perry signed with us after his buyout. If he doesn't agree to the said deal, then we'll have to look for a UFA solution, or perhaps give a chance to one of the young guns like Bourque, Damiani or Tufte.

The D I'd be looking for is someone that can play short-term with Harley in the second pair, and then take on the first pair duties after Suter's and Lindell's contract expire. DAL drafted so many defensemen in the latest draft I'm assuming neither one is coming back, given opportunities to the likes of Bichsel, and whichever D prospect or UFA D-man they choose to sign from the free agency.

Lindell-Hakanpää have formed a decent shutdown pair, but in the playoffs their standard of play has been mediocre. I want a change in that. As ironic as it is, Hakanpää has missed two games in these playoffs, and Dallas just happened to play their two best playoff games in those said occasions lol.

Slight issue is that the most money Dallas has left for that said D after all key signings and whatnot are 4,5 million. That does limit our options.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll