Forums/Armchair-GM

Buffalo Fans

Created by: Cory
Team: 2023-24 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: May 19, 2023
Published: May 19, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What would it take for Buffalo to trade Powers or Cozens? Please be realistic and not come at me with outlandish amounts.

Please also don't say that they are not available. I think time and time again, we see that everyone is available.

For instance don't say Conner and Helle for Cozen. Example, Hall was traded for Larsson. Both very high 1st round picks. So that would equate to Conner for Power in today's market. I am not suggesting that either team do that trade. Just curious to see how each city values their players.

Just looking for some real insight and not bogus requests. Let's also keep contracts out of it.
Trades
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
16$83,500,000$58,602,501$0$3,000,000$24,897,499
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$7,100,000$7,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$837,500$837,500
G
RFA - 1
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 19, 2023 at 3:27 p.m.
Future Norris guy
Cozens and Power, Would be non-starters for Kyle Connor and Connor Hellebuyck.
May 19, 2023 at 3:30 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyIsMyPassion61
Cozens and Power, Would be non-starters for Kyle Connor and Connor Hellebuyck.

Not disputing that. What would the value be? Reference the Hall for Larsson trade. Powers is not going to fetch Buffalo a couple first + star player + A prospect. What I am trying to gauge is what is fair value.
May 19, 2023 at 3:30 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Neither in play, took a while for Buffalo to build up a nucleus and now want to play it out and add to power dahlin cozens Thompson.
May 19, 2023 at 3:35 p.m.
Quoting: Birtle34
Neither in play, took a while for Buffalo to build up a nucleus and now want to play it out and add to power dahlin cozens Thompson.

Thanks for the feedback. Every one is always in play. Gretzky was traded, a few times. These guys are no where near Gretzky's talent.
May 19, 2023 at 3:37 p.m.
Dekesaladekes
Quoting: Cory
Thanks for the feedback. Every one is always in play. Gretzky was traded, a few times. These guys are no where near Gretzky's talent.

Team sport though, don’t matter how good they are if they fit the system and are buying in on the franchise long term and short term Vision teams will hold onto them.

Their is no point in buffalo moving power and cozens when they have yet to even see their highest potential
May 19, 2023 at 3:39 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe

To get them, you basically need to replace them with someone similar the same age, and two other options with the potential to check a few more boxes. For power probably even a third piece. So a young top 4 dman along with 3 other pieces, such a tough day and age with cap era. Gretzky got traded in a different era with 15 million going the other way.
May 19, 2023 at 3:40 p.m.
Quoting: Dekes
Team sport though, don’t matter how good they are if they fit the system and are buying in on the franchise long term and short term Vision teams will hold onto them.

Their is no point in buffalo moving power and cozens when they have yet to even see their highest potential

Couldn't agree more. As put in my description. I would imagine these guys are not on the block. Just asking what realistic value is on these two guys. Packaged together or separately.
May 19, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
To get them, you basically need to replace them with someone similar the same age, and two other options with the potential to check a few more boxes. For power probably even a third piece. So a young top 4 dman along with 3 other pieces, such a tough day and age with cap era. Gretzky got traded in a different era with 15 million going the other way.

Fair point. Has Powers already shown enough that he would be considered a star player for that type of return?
May 19, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.

It’s also ridiculous to say don’t take contracts into consideration. In todays game, contracts are half of your value. If you can get a star player on a good contract, that helps your team out. Also the length of the deal matters. So are you just asking talent wise? And right now? Or future growth. Pretending one of these variables doesn’t exist isn’t a good way to get a complete answer
May 19, 2023 at 3:44 p.m.
SK
NO WAY BUF goes for this.

Power is a generational D, similar to Hedman. He alone is worth more than Helly & Connor... UNLESS Helly agrees to a BUF friendly contract extention., but even then... not sure.

Would be close if it's Power for Helly signing a long term contract and Connor. BUF wouldn't even have to include Cozens and Luuk.

Power + Cozens > Helly and Connor. Wouldn't even need to add Luuk and WPG still would win.

Cozens and Luuk for Helly and Connor? Maybe. Still think WPG wins that one by a fair bit. HUGE fan of Cozens.

If BUF proposed this, WPG would laugh like mad and SAY... OH YES!!!! PLEASE AND THANKS and then send BUF flowers and treats for many years to come.
May 19, 2023 at 3:44 p.m.
Fair point. Has Powers already shown enough that he would be considered a star player for that type of return?

Yeah he has. Top 4 defenseman at age 20 with 35 points and relatively minimal PP time is pretty impressive. And his defensive game grew substantially as the year went on. If you say he will stagnate at his current level no, but that’s where my other post comes in as looking into the future. Removing variables such as that doesn’t really offer fair value though, and thus is kind of a futile exercise
May 19, 2023 at 3:45 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe

Organization has put the hype on him the next coming superstar, probably right now with youth and hype gets that type of return on potential, will be a little different when elc runs out, more decision times when the money and term comes into play.
May 19, 2023 at 3:51 p.m.
Quoting: Lsendel3
It’s also ridiculous to say don’t take contracts into consideration. In todays game, contracts are half of your value. If you can get a star player on a good contract, that helps your team out. Also the length of the deal matters. So are you just asking talent wise? And right now? Or future growth. Pretending one of these variables doesn’t exist isn’t a good way to get a complete answer

What i am getting at as teams can negotiate contracts. Say Helle for instance. We all think he wants 8x8 but he may take 5 years and 4.5 mil because he believes the team will win a couple cups. Sort of like Selanne and Kariya did with Colorado. I feel on this site that a lot of people take a player and have super high expectations for them that they value them at what they believe will be his top end. Players are a lot like business. You evaluate them on right now, not what they might be because that is unknown. I think we all, including myself get wrapped up in our own heads and over value everything. If i came to you before the trade happened and put on here that I was trading Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. Every person on here would have put me down.
May 19, 2023 at 3:52 p.m.
With the utmost respect,

Is this a joke?

This trade is awful for buffalo
May 19, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
Quoting: Sabres_Insider
With the utmost respect,

Is this a joke?

This trade is awful for buffalo

Please read the description. Its all a placeholder for real feedback.

Thanks for the respect though.
May 19, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
I don't see any rational from a team building standpoint to move either Cozens or Power. Cozens is your 2C locked and loaded for the next 8 years behind Tage. Power is your 2LD and PP2 QB behind Dahlin. Those are 2 of the like 7 pieces you build a franchise around. They have plenty of value to move without touching them. I honestly wouldn't move either of them to WPG for any 1 player straight up.
May 19, 2023 at 3:55 p.m.
Banned

Also if you join tiktok you can make millions of dollars as 0.00001% have done it. Great analogy. Get out of the house. You sound bored and lonely. Maybe msg that only fans girl you keep talking with?

Just move the Jets already. The inferiority complex is tiring. You'll trade Helle and Scheifele for little of anything. PLD will walk. Team is moved in o/u 5 years. Enjoy
May 19, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
Quoting: KyLe_Dubas_DreamBoat
Also if you join tiktok you can make millions of dollars as 0.00001% have done it. Great analogy. Get out of the house. You sound bored and lonely.

Just move the Jets already. The inferiority complex is tiring. You'll trade Helle and Scheifele for little of anything. PLD will walk. Team is moved in o/u 5 years. Enjoy

Haha. A leafs fan comes on here and puts down the Jets. Worry about your own situation going on there.

Was I at all rude to you? Or is being an idiot something that just comes naturally to you?
May 19, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
Banned
Haha. A leafs fan comes on here and puts down the Jets. Worry about your own situation going on there.

At least you have the Jets dog and the Queen. I can't imagine living in that black fly hell hole.
May 19, 2023 at 4:01 p.m.
Quoting: KyLe_Dubas_DreamBoat
At least you have the Jets dog and the Queen. I can't imagine living in that black fly hell hole.

And you live where? Please tell me Toronto because that would make your comment so much better.
May 19, 2023 at 4:07 p.m.
Banned
And you live where? Please tell me Toronto because that would make your comment so much better.

I feel bad for you. At least in Siberia, the women are attractive. Going to the forks and eating at Vj's drive Inn is the highlight of your lives. PLD is so bored in Winterpeg that he rather work part time at Home Depot than spend any of his free time there. Good riddance. Bring back the Noriques at least there is culture in Quebec and not crime, sadness and whatever else in Winterpeg.
May 19, 2023 at 4:09 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
For power probably take Connor/helly/samberg/perfetti, for cozens probably slightly less, probably some random cap back also if there’s a contract or two to get ditched. It would be at Kind of a ridiculousness sort of spot. Not entirely sure if that would do it depending on the belief in krebs and Levi. It is a tough trade to figure out.
May 19, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
Funksoljah
What i am getting at as teams can negotiate contracts. Say Helle for instance. We all think he wants 8x8 but he may take 5 years and 4.5 mil because he believes the team will win a couple cups. Sort of like Selanne and Kariya did with Colorado. I feel on this site that a lot of people take a player and have super high expectations for them that they value them at what they believe will be his top end. Players are a lot like business. You evaluate them on right now, not what they might be because that is unknown. I think we all, including myself get wrapped up in our own heads and over value everything. If i came to you before the trade happened and put on here that I was trading Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. Every person on here would have put me down.

The problem with trading either of them involves how Buffalo is built and the nature of why they are built that way.

Adams has been a huge vibes and locker room culture guy. He has said numerous times that he wants guy who want to be in Buffalo, and Both Cozens and Power have expressed their desire to be there. Adams will value that much higher than he would an unknown quantity. If you look at the Eichel trade, he got a guy back in Tuch who grew up rooting for the Sabres and his dream growing up was to wear a Sabres sweater. You add the years of control, the contract for Cozens, and their potential given their ages and I'm not sure Winnipeg has the assets Adams would want for him to consider trading either of them.

The Jets have some excellent players, but most of them don't fit the age range for the Sabres core. They have some excellent forward prospects also, but again that is a huge strength for the Sabres as an organization. Their biggest areas of need are a top 4 Dman, and a starting goalie to bridge the gap to Levi being ready for the starters role. Losing Power instantly makes their top 4 D worse, and losing Cozens while probably not as painful for the team removes a player the organization loves and a kid who basically checks every one of Adams boxes and a few boxes Adams doesn't need checked. (size, compete, skill, wants to be a Sabre, good skating, great in transition, and he has some jam to his game).
KyLe_Dubas_DreamBoat and Cory liked this.
May 19, 2023 at 4:13 p.m.
For power probably take Connor/helly/samberg/perfetti, for cozens probably slightly less, probably some random cap back also if there’s a contract or two to get ditched. It would be at Kind of a ridiculousness sort of spot. Not entirely sure if that would do it depending on the belief in krebs and Levi. It is a tough trade to figure out.

Do you mean one of Connor/Helle/Samburg/Perfetti or all of them? You can't mean all of them, could you?
Birtle34 liked this.
May 19, 2023 at 4:13 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
They're just not available, could offer up Connor, Perfetti and a 1st and they'd still decline. Buffalo is building something and they're not trading guys locked up long term or with long term RFA control for shorter term help or possibilities.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll