Draft Class: 2023
Created By: NHLfan10506
Published: May 23, 2023 at 1:11 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-No surprise
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-No surprise
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Maybe…but really no surprise
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-No surprise
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Small surprise. The long-term look of this blueline would be very different with Guhle-Reinbacher at the top.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Surprise. Will go a lot higher that we have been seeing in most mocks.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-No surprise
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-No surprise. The Washington connection to Russian players removes most of the risk that other teams see.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-No surprise. Leonard to Detroit seems like a good fit. I know it’s not thebiggest positional need (and not a Michigan guy) but if they want to take an offensive power forward, here’s the guy.
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Maybe small surprise. Hope would be he could fill the role that Dunn and Krug had (Perunovich is trying)
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Small surprise if they don’t take a dman, but no obvious one at this pick. So they take the local kid (who will sell in Vancouver)
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsNo surprise. Cooley & Moore. The Arizisota Coyophers.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-No surprise. Tage 2.0.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Small surprise. For a team still thinking short-term, they take the option that could get into games next season.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-No surprise. Pipeline could use a jolt of creativity.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-No surprise. Future Lindholm replacement.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersSurprise. He’ll go high. Lot higher than many think. This is probably where you’d starting watching if you were Anton’s agent.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Small surprise. Try him and Lambert both at center. If it works, it works.
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningNo surprise. Reichel/Berard/Nazar…Hayes/Green/But (his green butt?).
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-No surprise. Top winger on the board for team that should be set at center.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-No surprise.
22Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Los Angeles KingsNo surprise.
23Logo of the New York Rangers-Small Surprise. Stramel takes one more year in NCAA, then will attend the Kreider College of Knowledge.
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersNo surprise.
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsNo surprise.
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsSurprise. Button’s ranking (#5) was the kiss of death. This may feel like too far of a drop, but there are a bunch of teams ahead of this pick that may prioritize other needs. EK65 has an understudy: ASP4
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Med Surprise. Him falling this far would be unexpected. Has nearly Zegres-level puck skills and passing…but too much of a freelancer.
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsNo surprise. (I guess Hunter is GM now?)
29Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersNo surprise.
30Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas StarsSmall surprise. Goalies in 1st are always notable.
31Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-No surprise.
32Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-No surprise.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
33Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-No surprise.
34Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Small surprise.
35Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-No surprise. Hawks add Chicagoland’s Jesper Bratt 2.0.
36Logo of the San Jose Sharks-No surprise.
37Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-No surprise.
38Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-No surprise. (Born in Phoenix…if that will still matter)
39Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Philadelphia FlyersSmall surprise.
40Logo of the Washington Capitals-No surprise.
41Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-No surprise.
42Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the St. Louis BluesNo surprise
43Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Vancouver CanucksSurprise. Three straight picks, might as well swing for the fences on one of them.
44Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsNo surprise.
45Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-No surprise.
46Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsNo surprise.
47Logo of the Nashville Predators-No surprise.
48Logo of the Calgary Flames-Small surprise. Late riser.
49Logo of the New York Islanders-Surprise. Someone check on Lou.
50Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Winnipeg JetsNo surprise.
51Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningNo surprise.
52Logo of the Seattle Kraken-No surprise. Need wingers.
53Logo of the Minnesota Wild-No surprise.
54Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-No surprise.
55Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the New York RangersNo surprise. Chicago’s 6th pick. Three forwards, one goalie, one LD and now one RD.
56Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-No surprise.
57Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsNo surprise.
58Logo of the New Jersey Devils-No surprise.
59Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Colorado AvalancheNo surprise.
60Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsSurprise.
61Logo of the Florida Panthers-No surprise.
62Logo of the Dallas Stars-No surprise.
63Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Vegas Golden KnightsSurprise.
64Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-No surprise.
May 23, 2023 at 1:17 p.m.
Waddley1234
Personally really like that rangers pick and absolutely love the explanation
NHLfan10506 liked this.
May 23, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
I make typos
it would be hilarious if Chicago drafted a whole starting lineup before the 2nd round was even over
May 23, 2023 at 1:55 p.m.
SK
Oh... where to start. From WPG... Yager is not bad at 18. I honestly have him ranked 18 on my order, so interesting. But, I have ASP at 7, Barlow at 9, Honzek at 11, Cristall at 12, Sale at 13 and But at 14, So, 6 guys I would pick before Yager at 18.
May 23, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.
Bedard23
Pellikka and Barlow won’t fall past 15

And Musty is way too high
May 23, 2023 at 1:58 p.m.
As a sharks fan I would be overjoyed with this outcome.
NHLfan10506 liked this.
May 23, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Joe
If we pick Leonard over Benson I'm going insane.
aedoran and NHLfan10506 liked this.
May 23, 2023 at 2:30 p.m.
I can assure you that Detroit isn't going to draft Wahlberg with the 17th pick. Especially since he will still be on the board in the 3rd round.
May 23, 2023 at 3:07 p.m.
I’d rather Strbak at 33 than Dragicevic
NHLfan10506 liked this.
May 23, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
power forward
Finally some Wahlberg and Willander respect. Another surprise name to throw into the first round would be Gavin McCarthy. Defense alone, he's worth the first round. Whether or not his offense can translate to the NHL level is a question mark however. I do expect him to be taken anywhere from 15 to 32.

Detroit is currently scouting Moore, Willander, and Honzek.
Keith Jones wants to build the team from the blue line and are really high on Sandin-Pelikka.
Montreal is also reportedly high on Reinbacher and Dvorsky, Hughes has been into them since the start of the season.
Fantilli at 2nd wouldn't be no surprise. I wouldn't even be shocked if they went with Michkov.

EDIT: I do love how your mocks are not the same boring mocks. I love how different it is.
May 23, 2023 at 5:47 p.m.
Quoting: SKWPG
Oh... where to start. From WPG... Yager is not bad at 18. I honestly have him ranked 18 on my order, so interesting. But, I have ASP at 7, Barlow at 9, Honzek at 11, Cristall at 12, Sale at 13 and But at 14, So, 6 guys I would pick before Yager at 18.

Quoting: IconicHawk
Pellikka and Barlow won’t fall past 15

And Musty is way too high

It’s meant to be a break from consensus. We all see very similar mocks over and over…but in reality the draft rarely follows script.
pavelisgoat liked this.
May 23, 2023 at 5:50 p.m.
Quoting: oilersguy
it would be hilarious if Chicago drafted a whole starting lineup before the 2nd round was even over

Before 4 teams even pick once (BOS, EDM, NJD, TBL)
oilersguy liked this.
May 23, 2023 at 5:52 p.m.
Quoting: Z0ra
Finally some Wahlberg and Willander respect. Another surprise name to throw into the first round would be Gavin McCarthy. Defense alone, he's worth the first round. Whether or not his offense can translate to the NHL level is a question mark however. I do expect him to be taken anywhere from 15 to 32.

Detroit is currently scouting Moore, Willander, and Honzek.
Keith Jones wants to build the team from the blue line and are really high on Sandin-Pelikka.
Montreal is also reportedly high on Reinbacher and Dvorsky, Hughes has been into them since the start of the season.
Fantilli at 2nd wouldn't be no surprise. I wouldn't even be shocked if they went with Michkov.

EDIT: I do love how your mocks are not the same boring mocks. I love how different it is.

Thanks…best compliment I could get as that was my intention.
May 23, 2023 at 5:55 p.m.
Quoting: aedoran
I can assure you that Detroit isn't going to draft Wahlberg with the 17th pick. Especially since he will still be on the board in the 3rd round.

You will love him. If there were a guy that screams Seider of 2023…it’s Wahlberg.
aedoran liked this.
May 23, 2023 at 7:57 p.m.
mokumboi
Not taking Gulyaev at 10, not taking a goalie in the 1st. Surprises actually happen. Those two things will not.
May 23, 2023 at 7:59 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
You will love him. If there were a guy that screams Seider of 2023…it’s Wahlberg.

Yeah but most had Seider going in the middle of the 1st rd. I have no problem with Detroit drafting Wahlberg with their 3rd round pick.
May 23, 2023 at 10:57 p.m.
Yeah, this is brilliant. I went through this with a fine tooth comb and really agree with a lot. Asp dropping being one of your bigger surprises, and I can see a realistic reality where it happens. I was much much higher on Willander and Reinbacher than Asp. Am hopeful that the wings can get one of those 2, but Leonard is one of my most coveted so I’m not complaining. Intrigued by Wahlberg as well. Not putting anything past Yzerman with that 17 oa pick. I’m trying to find a player, surprise or not that I can suggest in a different place, but hard pressed to find one. Maybe Gulyaev at 10 is early but we will see
NHLfan10506 liked this.
May 24, 2023 at 1:33 a.m.
I would like to see CBJ take Simashev with that 22OA pick. Don't hate the Honzek pick but would prefer the big body backend Dman at the pick. With most D taking 2 to 3 years to develop anyway i dont mind waiting on the Russky and him showing up at 21 and fully into his body.
May 24, 2023 at 12:32 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: pavelisgoat
Yeah, this is brilliant. I went through this with a fine tooth comb and really agree with a lot. Asp dropping being one of your bigger surprises, and I can see a realistic reality where it happens. I was much much higher on Willander and Reinbacher than Asp. Am hopeful that the wings can get one of those 2, but Leonard is one of my most coveted so I’m not complaining. Intrigued by Wahlberg as well. Not putting anything past Yzerman with that 17 oa pick. I’m trying to find a player, surprise or not that I can suggest in a different place, but hard pressed to find one. Maybe Gulyaev at 10 is early but we will see

I also have Willander and Reinbacher higher than ASP on my draft rankings. Reinbacher at #6, Willander at #11, ASP at #13. Ignore the Russian factor, Gulyayev is top 10 talent.
May 24, 2023 at 4:22 p.m.
Every time I move Willander up in my rankings (11OA currently), I find out that someone has him even higher somehow.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll