Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs 23-24 Off-Season Augmentation I

Created by: Hockey_Hippy
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 28, 2023
Published: May 28, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Using Friedman's 1.5 Cap increase estimate and assuming Muzzin and Giordano retire in the summer.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$850,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
2$775,000
2$775,000
2$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,400,000
2$775,000
2$1,000,000
3$4,500,000
5$4,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Hertl, Tomas ($2,137,500 retained)
Additional Details:
Yes, I know Hertl has an NMC. I'm also not certain he wants to spend the rest of his career in a rebuild which is what the Sharks need to do. For parting with him and most of his contract they get a veteran do everything player who can score if he plays with talent, two young players who will play immediately in Kral and Abruzzesee, another a year away in SDA and a very talented though small winger prospect in Voit.
SJS
  1. Abruzzese, Nick
  2. Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon
  3. Järnkrok, Calle
  4. Král, Filip
  5. Voit, Ty
Additional Details:
Toronto needs to bring in a second line center so as to allow Tavares to slide to the wing. Hertl's contract is partially paid for by the Sharks here and it will not age nearly as badly as Marleau's simply because the cap will be so much higher when it does. They carve into the pipeline to do it, losing two players that would have made the Leafs either out of training camp or by the end of the year, but that is the cost of doing business.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$84,000,000$81,956,450$0$0$2,043,550

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$4,612,500$4,612,500
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
UFA - 6
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 28, 2023 at 10:15 p.m.
Quantity can't replace quality when trading for top players.

You need to include 1st round picks and top prospects to get a deal like this done, especially because you're asking for 7 years of retention.
DenisPotvin and Blacktown liked this.
May 28, 2023 at 10:26 p.m.
leaf fan
Quoting: pavelski_tip_in

You need to include 1st round picks and top prospects to get a deal like this done, especially because you're asking for 7 years of retention.

7 years of retention and not only that Hertl as well just as a player for that return is awful for sharks. I’m not even sure the cost of Hertl but i’m assuming probably 1st+2nd+young player+prospect, and forget the retention it won’t happen.
pavelski_tip_in liked this.
May 28, 2023 at 10:30 p.m.
Birddog

Hertl’s contract is terrible. It’s time for the Sharks to move on from these deals.
May 28, 2023 at 10:36 p.m.
Quoting: Newtown
Hertl’s contract is terrible. It’s time for the Sharks to move on from these deals.

They liked Beryl's contract when he signed it and the sentiment hasn't changed
May 28, 2023 at 10:42 p.m.
Birddog
Quoting: LukaTAG
They liked Beryl's contract when he signed it and the sentiment hasn't changed

Who?
May 28, 2023 at 11:14 p.m.
Torresing
A pile of literal turds for a top line center. Moronic posting. Though, not surprisingly a leafs fan made this, I could not expect anything less.
May 29, 2023 at 12:06 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Not saying the Sharks do the trade, but is seven years of Hertl starting at almost 30- years of age just doesn't seem to age well even with retention.
May 29, 2023 at 3:24 a.m.

Compare this to the Meier deal. Both team exchanged multiple players and the Sharks ate half of Meier's last year. Meier is three years younger and is an RFA when his contract is up.

The best prospect in the Meier deal was Mukhamadullin, who was 20th overall. Agreed, early returns look very good on him.

Zetterlund, after two years in the AHL had played 80 games and had 38 points (.475 PPG). Abruzzese has only played one year and in that time has 48 points in 69 games (.695 PPG). He was also point a game at 2022 Olympics. Zetterlund's AHL career spans 128 games over three years in which time he has amassed 90 points (.703 PPG). SDA has played 107 games over that same span of time and has totaled 76 (.710 PPG). They are all the same age but the last two have no been afforded the same opportunities as pros because the Leafs are a much deeper team up front than New Jersey.

Okhotiuk is 6'1" 195. In 111 AHL games he has 24 points. Kral is 6'2" 198. In 92 AHL Games he has 29 points. I watched the Utica/Toronto series this year (I have the AHL package). Okhotiuk's most noticeable moments happened after the whistle. That's not saying much. Kral, were it not for the fact that this version of the team has signed Graves, would be the Leafs third pairing LHD next season.

Next time you are tempted to make a snap judgement on prospect value, don't.
May 29, 2023 at 7:19 a.m.
Quoting: Newtown
Who?

Hertl* nice autocorrect
May 29, 2023 at 12:29 p.m.
Quoting: Hockey_Hippy
Compare this to the Meier deal. Both team exchanged multiple players and the Sharks ate half of Meier's last year. Meier is three years younger and is an RFA when his contract is up.

The best prospect in the Meier deal was Mukhamadullin, who was 20th overall. Agreed, early returns look very good on him.

Zetterlund, after two years in the AHL had played 80 games and had 38 points (.475 PPG). Abruzzese has only played one year and in that time has 48 points in 69 games (.695 PPG). He was also point a game at 2022 Olympics. Zetterlund's AHL career spans 128 games over three years in which time he has amassed 90 points (.703 PPG). SDA has played 107 games over that same span of time and has totaled 76 (.710 PPG). They are all the same age but the last two have no been afforded the same opportunities as pros because the Leafs are a much deeper team up front than New Jersey.

Okhotiuk is 6'1" 195. In 111 AHL games he has 24 points. Kral is 6'2" 198. In 92 AHL Games he has 29 points. I watched the Utica/Toronto series this year (I have the AHL package). Okhotiuk's most noticeable moments happened after the whistle. That's not saying much. Kral, were it not for the fact that this version of the team has signed Graves, would be the Leafs third pairing LHD next season.

What are you talking about? Zetterlund and Okhotiuk were like the 4th and 5th most important pieces in that deal.

You included nothing close to Mukhamadullin or a 1st round pick in value.
May 29, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.

The retention in the Meier trade and in this one aren't really comparable, because the Meier one goes away Jul 1. Tying up our retention slot for seven years would not only be inadvisable, it would be totally unprecedented in the league (as far as I know). That alone would generate significant value in this trade.

Voit, Der-Arguchintsev and Abruzzese are nice prospects, but they are on the small side which doesn't seem to be what Grier is looking for in players. Not saying its a deal breaker, but we have a lot of smaller forwards in the system already. And as for potential, I just don't think Abruzzese or Der-Arguchintsev stand out much amongst Peterson, Lund, Guschin, Cardwell, Robbins or Coe. At least not enough to move the needle much in a trade.

Kral plays LD which is our deepest position right now. As you pointed out we just acquired Mukh and Okhotiuk and we also picked up Thrun as well. Add to that Ferraro, Knyzhov, Simek and Knaizev who are already with the org and you can see why Kral isn't really going to be on SJ's radar.

SJ need draft capital, RD and young high end talent (who doesn't right??), but that's why most EK65 trades on here include Timmins, Villeneuve, Liljegren, Minten or Robertson and a collection of picks.

I think San Jose is very happy to keep Hertl. He's a fantastic player, he's loved by the fans and in the locker room and his game will age well. Having our 1C/2C be some combination of Hertl and whoever we might pick at 4 this year isn't a terrible future for the Sharks. Yes, his contract will be very bad down the road, but it will also get better every year as the cap goes up and SJ's other bad contracts fall off. SJ will only trade Hertl this summer if its for a big big return and it won't be with retention.
May 29, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
Birddog
Quoting: LukaTAG
Hertl* nice autocorrect

Hate autocerroct.
May 29, 2023 at 9:58 p.m.
Quoting: matthias893
The retention in the Meier trade and in this one aren't really comparable, because the Meier one goes away Jul 1. Tying up our retention slot for seven years would not only be inadvisable, it would be totally unprecedented in the league (as far as I know). That alone would generate significant value in this trade.

Voit, Der-Arguchintsev and Abruzzese are nice prospects, but they are on the small side which doesn't seem to be what Grier is looking for in players. Not saying its a deal breaker, but we have a lot of smaller forwards in the system already. And as for potential, I just don't think Abruzzese or Der-Arguchintsev stand out much amongst Peterson, Lund, Guschin, Cardwell, Robbins or Coe. At least not enough to move the needle much in a trade.

Kral plays LD which is our deepest position right now. As you pointed out we just acquired Mukh and Okhotiuk and we also picked up Thrun as well. Add to that Ferraro, Knyzhov, Simek and Knaizev who are already with the org and you can see why Kral isn't really going to be on SJ's radar.

SJ need draft capital, RD and young high end talent (who doesn't right??), but that's why most EK65 trades on here include Timmins, Villeneuve, Liljegren, Minten or Robertson and a collection of picks.

I think San Jose is very happy to keep Hertl. He's a fantastic player, he's loved by the fans and in the locker room and his game will age well. Having our 1C/2C be some combination of Hertl and whoever we might pick at 4 this year isn't a terrible future for the Sharks. Yes, his contract will be very bad down the road, but it will also get better every year as the cap goes up and SJ's other bad contracts fall off. SJ will only trade Hertl this summer if its for a big big return and it won't be with retention.

You raise a decent point about the depth of LHD in the Shark pipeline and Kral. How many of them, beyond say Muk, would challenge for a roster spot in the fall? Okhotiuk would be behind Kral in the pipeline based on what I've seen. What about the others? Knyzaev looks to me to be the very type you move on from, a mid 20's placeholder. Simek is the same only five years older. Ferraro has the most promise but in four seasons he has yet to put up 20 points in one of them. Knaizev might be something but he is undersized and you just got done saying Grier didn't want that. Kral is 6'2" 195 so he is 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. Thrun is also maybe a player, but even if he is Kral is arguably 2nd or 3rd on that list based on what the others have done to date behind Ferarro and likely one of the last two.

SDA is 5'10" 173
Abruzzese is 5'11 183

Both have frames to put on more weight, likely anywhere between another 6 to 12 pounds

Guschin is 5'8" 163 My feeling is he'll struggle to get up to 175 because of his frame. His point totals are similar to the two Toronto forwards above.
Robins is 5'10" 173 He meassures up physically but not in production to the above two wingers.
Coe is 6'5" 203 Far larger, far less productive.
Peterson is 6'1" 180 This one I'll give you.
Cardwell is 5'11" 196 Had his blow it up season as a 20 year old in the OHL. Voit comfortably outpaced him this year as a 19 year old in the same loop.
Lund is 6'2" 185 He's 18 and years away.

Based on this I'd put Abruzzese and SDA behind Peterson only in that list.

I'm not saying the prospects you list from Toronto are *not* good. They are. But so are the ones in this package. And those are the ones that will be available. Even then, with Abruzzese and Kral, it will be like pulling teeth.
May 30, 2023 at 10:27 a.m.
You raise a decent point about the depth of LHD in the Shark pipeline and Kral. How many of them, beyond say Muk, would challenge for a roster spot in the fall? Okhotiuk would be behind Kral in the pipeline based on what I've seen. What about the others? Knyzaev looks to me to be the very type you move on from, a mid 20's placeholder. Simek is the same only five years older. Ferraro has the most promise but in four seasons he has yet to put up 20 points in one of them. Knaizev might be something but he is undersized and you just got done saying Grier didn't want that. Kral is 6'2" 195 so he is 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. Thrun is also maybe a player, but even if he is Kral is arguably 2nd or 3rd on that list based on what the others have done to date behind Ferarro and likely one of the last two.

SDA is 5'10" 173
Abruzzese is 5'11 183

Both have frames to put on more weight, likely anywhere between another 6 to 12 pounds

Guschin is 5'8" 163 My feeling is he'll struggle to get up to 175 because of his frame. His point totals are similar to the two Toronto forwards above.
Robins is 5'10" 173 He meassures up physically but not in production to the above two wingers.
Coe is 6'5" 203 Far larger, far less productive.
Peterson is 6'1" 180 This one I'll give you.
Cardwell is 5'11" 196 Had his blow it up season as a 20 year old in the OHL. Voit comfortably outpaced him this year as a 19 year old in the same loop.
Lund is 6'2" 185 He's 18 and years away.

Based on this I'd put Abruzzese and SDA behind Peterson only in that list.

I'm not saying the prospects you list from Toronto are *not* good. They are. But so are the ones in this package. And those are the ones that will be available. Even then, with Abruzzese and Kral, it will be like pulling teeth.

NHL ready next year is almost completely irrelevant for the Sharks and where we're at in our timeline. I'm not arguing that the players you've mentioned are bad players, but none of them are significantly better than what the Sharks already have, and none of them shore up organizational weaknesses.
Even if you make the argument they are closer to NHL ready, they just don't meet immediate needs for the teams future. Is there a scenario where the Sharks would be interested in them? Sure, but not for Hertl and likely not in a big package like this. If this is what's available from TOR I think the Sharks just say no thanks any look elsewhere.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 8:00 p.m.
What are you talking about? Zetterlund and Okhotiuk were like the 4th and 5th most important pieces in that deal.

You included nothing close to Mukhamadullin or a 1st round pick in value.

Hertl is not Meier. It's that simple. He is not going to get you the Meier package.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 8:01 p.m.
Quoting: matthias893
NHL ready next year is almost completely irrelevant for the Sharks and where we're at in our timeline. I'm not arguing that the players you've mentioned are bad players, but none of them are significantly better than what the Sharks already have, and none of them shore up organizational weaknesses.
Even if you make the argument they are closer to NHL ready, they just don't meet immediate needs for the teams future. Is there a scenario where the Sharks would be interested in them? Sure, but not for Hertl and likely not in a big package like this. If this is what's available from TOR I think the Sharks just say no thanks any look elsewhere.

Given that, there is even less reason to hold onto Hertl then isn't there?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll