Forums/Armchair-GM

Payroll reconstruction

Created by: justaBoss
Team: 2023-24 Dallas Stars
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 1, 2023
Published: Jun. 1, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Don't take this too seriously. I know NMCs are going to f*ck this idea thoroughly. This is just how I'd LIKE to see the roster payroll being constructed.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,137,500
1$775,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$7,000,000
6$5,750,000
6$5,750,000
2$2,500,000
1$1,500,000
2$950,000
1$800,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
Trades
DAL
  1. Simek, Radim
  2. Vlasic, Marc-Édouard ($1,400,000 retained)
  3. Zetterlund, Fabian [RFA Rights]
  4. 2023 4th round pick (SJS)
DAL
  1. Novikov, Nikita
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Damiani, Riley [RFA Rights]
  2. Hakanpää, Jani
  3. 2023 5th round pick (DAL)
DAL
  1. Kastelic, Mark
  2. 2024 5th round pick (OTT)
  3. 2025 2nd round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Faksa, Radek ($650,000 retained)
  2. White, Gavin
DAL
  1. Puutio, Kasper [Reserve List]
  2. 2025 5th round pick (FLA)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,500,000$83,174,774$372,829$2,637,500$325,226
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$8,450,000$8,450,000
C
UFA - 8
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,500,000$3,500,000 (Performance Bonus$2,000,000$2M)
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$894,167$894,167
C
RFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$894,167$894,167
C
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$950,000$950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,137,500$1,137,500
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
LD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$8,450,000$8,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 6
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
RFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
UFA - 8
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 1, 2023 at 5:25 p.m.
Buffalo declines pretty easily
Jun. 1, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
Why would Buffalo do that?
Jun. 1, 2023 at 5:41 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Lsendel3
Buffalo declines pretty easily

Doubt it. General value for defensive bottom-4 D-men have been around a 2nd and 3rd round pick. And they get a decent prospect and a pick to boot. Plus isn't a defensive RHD exactly what Buffalo needs?
sabres89 liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 5:42 p.m.
Torresing
Sharks laugh. Vlasic has a year less than Seguin and isn't owed over 18 million in signing bonuses over the next 4 years. This deal weighs heavily in Dallas' favour. Easy decline
glarson17 liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 5:44 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Blacktown
Sharks laugh. Vlasic has a year less than Seguin and isn't owed over 18 million in signing bonuses over the next 4 years. This deal weighs heavily in Dallas' favour. Easy decline

Contract wise yes it does (the whole point of the trade), but level wise Sharks get muuuuuch better here.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 5:57 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Contract wise yes it does (the whole point of the trade), but level wise Sharks get muuuuuch better here.

The Sharks aren't really trying to get better by acquiring older players. They want young players they can continue to develop, and Seguin is certainly not that. All this would do is weigh the Sharks down with an even longer contract, further delaying their new playoff window opening.

Also, MEV has repeatedly said he would not waive his NTC to go anywhere.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:03 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Waffelz
The Sharks aren't really trying to get better by acquiring older players. They want young players they can continue to develop, and Seguin is certainly not that. All this would do is weigh the Sharks down with an even longer contract, further delaying their new playoff window opening.

Also, MEV has repeatedly said he would not waive his NTC to go anywhere.

They aren't acquiring older players, in fact they're getting younger here. Seguin is younger than Vlasic. Marchment is younger than Simek. Lundkvist is younger than Zetterlund.

Also I disagree. Seguin is so much better than anyone you're losing here that if anything their chances of making the playoffs in 2-3 years only get higher. Only thing that would change is that Seguin's contract runs one year longer, but that shouldn't be a problem since SJ doesn't have many big contracts that need to be renewed in a short while.

I said in the description that for this post NTCs and NMCs shouldn't be taken account for, because Seguin is unlikely to waive his NMC for Sharks either. As for Vlasic, he has M-NTC with 3 team trade list...I wonder if he agreed to a trade if he was promised that he'll get bought out by the team that acquired him, and then would simply re-sign with the Sharks again with a cheaper contract. Could be a win-win for Vlasic, and the Sharks.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:04 p.m.
Stovetop
I'm fine taking on cap dumps in the short term so Seguin doesn't work. And Zetterlund will get back to his game in time, I don't think they'll give up on him yet.

Switch out Seguin for Benn given his contract is pretty much Seguin minus 2 years, and switch Zetterlund for Labanc 50% retained (and maybe add Gadjovic) and I think that would be worth it.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:09 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: AStovetop
I'm fine taking on cap dumps in the short term so Seguin doesn't work. And Zetterlund will get back to his game in time, I don't think they'll give up on him yet.

Switch out Seguin for Benn given his contract is pretty much Seguin minus 2 years, and switch Zetterlund for Labanc 50% retained (and maybe add Gadjovic) and I think that would be worth it.

That makes no sense from Stars perspective. The only reason why I'd suggest trading Seguin to an inferior player with big ass contract is because that other contract might be possible to buy out, because Seguin's contract is buyout proof. That's the whole point of the scenario. However, after the year Benn had, there's no reason to consider a buyout with him. Also his contract length coincides well with out young players like Johnston and Oettinger re-signing.

We'd lose all the cap benefit, both long and short term in this scenario, and we'd also lose much, much more valuable assets in the process.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:13 p.m.
Stovetop
They aren't acquiring older players, in fact they're getting younger here. Seguin is younger than Vlasic. Marchment is younger than Simek. Lundkvist is younger than Zetterlund.

Also I disagree. Seguin is so much better than anyone you're losing here that if anything their chances of making the playoffs in 2-3 years only get higher. Only thing that would change is that Seguin's contract runs one year longer, but that shouldn't be a problem since SJ doesn't have many big contracts that need to be renewed in a short while.

I said in the description that for this post NTCs and NMCs shouldn't be taken account for, because Seguin is unlikely to waive his NMC for Sharks either. As for Vlasic, he has M-NTC with 3 team trade list...I wonder if he agreed to a trade if he was promised that he'll get bought out by the team that acquired him, and then would simply re-sign with the Sharks again with a cheaper contract. Could be a win-win for Vlasic, and the Sharks.

Vlasic has a better contract than Seguin. its nearly 3 mil less, a year less, and you can actually buy it out if needed. Seguin wasn't good this year, what makes you think he'll be remotely worth it at 9.8 in 3 years?
Yes the guys you proposed are technically like a year younger than the comparison, but the point of getting rid of older guys isn't to get slightly less old guys. It's to dump them completely. Seguin has 4 years left vs Vlasics 3. Marchment has 3 years left vs Simeks 1. I don't think you're super far off but the term is biggest killer here for the Sharks.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:15 p.m.
Stovetop
That makes no sense from Stars perspective. The only reason why I'd suggest trading Seguin to an inferior player with big ass contract is because that other contract might be possible to buy out, because Seguin's contract is buyout proof. That's the whole point of the scenario. However, after the year Benn had, there's no reason to consider a buyout with him. Also his contract length coincides well with out young players like Johnston and Oettinger re-signing.

We'd lose all the cap benefit, both long and short term in this scenario, and we'd also lose much, much more valuable assets in the process.

You can't propose a deal and only consider the fact that it works for your side lol. What you proposed doesn't work for the Sharks, so they no. simple as that lol
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:24 p.m.
What in tarnation
Vlasic has a better contract than Seguin. its nearly 3 mil less, a year less, and you can actually buy it out if needed. Seguin wasn't good this year, what makes you think he'll be remotely worth it at 9.8 in 3 years?
Yes the guys you proposed are technically like a year younger than the comparison, but the point of getting rid of older guys isn't to get slightly less old guys. It's to dump them completely. Seguin has 4 years left vs Vlasics 3. Marchment has 3 years left vs Simeks 1. I don't think you're super far off but the term is biggest killer here for the Sharks.

Not disagreeing with the fact Vlasic's contract is better, but I would argue that Seguin is a much, much better player of the two. How much is their value difference then?

Seguin was pretty good this year, 50 points is no slouch. Is he worth his contract, absolutely not, but let's face it, neither is Vlasic. This applies to now, and it applies to 3-4 years in the future with both players. Only difference is that Vlasic can be bought out, which is the only reason why I suggested the trade in the first place.

San Jose is in the middle of a rebuild. The term obviously hurts them to some extent, but given their status as a non-competitive team for the next few years, they should be able to sustain those years, as long as they get compensated over it. And imo they do, considering that they're getting much better assets in return, albeit expensive ones. In theory, if they perform in the Sharks, they can make them trade chips later down the line with just retaining their salaries. However, they won't be able to turn Vlasic and Simek into anything, because quite honestly, they suck. The only value they provide for Dallas is cap gymnastics.

You can't propose a deal and only consider the fact that it works for your side lol. What you proposed doesn't work for the Sharks, so they no. simple as that lol

For this point, I'm giving Sharks a lot here. Better players, better picks, better prospects. I'm giving it all in exchange for more manageable contracts for a contender. The question here is how much Sharks need to be compensated to make this work...personally I think they're getting compensated a lot already.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:25 p.m.
Doubt it. General value for defensive bottom-4 D-men have been around a 2nd and 3rd round pick. And they get a decent prospect and a pick to boot. Plus isn't a defensive RHD exactly what Buffalo needs?

I think I'd keep shopping, but I would consider this. Not doing Damiani any favors sending him here, but hakanpaa is interesting. I think our gm is very hesitant, I think trading for rentals isn't his MO. Not bad though.
justaBoss liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:28 p.m.
Not giving up Novikov for 1yr of Jani and a prospect I don't need. Doubt you would get a 2nd for Jani straight up. Atleast a pretty high 2nd.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:31 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: BUFF36
Not giving up Novikov for 1yr of Jani and a prospect I don't need. Doubt you would get a 2nd for Jani straight up. Atleast a pretty high 2nd.

Novikov is just added to even out contracts, he can be dropped. Same applies to Damiani.

Sabres pick is 45th, so it's pretty much middle of the pack. Also, they need RHDs. Hakanpää alone is probably worth low 2nd, high 3rd...dunno if it's enough for 45th pick if they added a fifth rounder but I don't think it's far.
BUFF36 liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:33 p.m.
Novikov is just added to even out contracts, he can be dropped. Same applies to Damiani.

Sabres pick is 45th, so it's pretty much middle of the pack. Also, they need RHDs. Hakanpää alone is probably worth low 2nd, high 3rd...dunno if it's enough for 45th pick if they added a fifth rounder but I don't think it's far.

Give you LA's 3rd and keep your 5th
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:35 p.m.
Stovetop
Not disagreeing with the fact Vlasic's contract is better, but I would argue that Seguin is a much, much better player of the two. How much is their value difference then?

Seguin was pretty good this year, 50 points is no slouch. Is he worth his contract, absolutely not, but let's face it, neither is Vlasic. This applies to now, and it applies to 3-4 years in the future with both players. Only difference is that Vlasic can be bought out, which is the only reason why I suggested the trade in the first place.

It honestly doesn't matter who the better player is for SJ. The only thing that matters right now is what's their cap hit, and how many years left. Also Vlasic wasn't terrible this year. He and Benning I believe were around 15th best in xGA in the league. It just makes more sense to ride that.

I like Marchment but unless there's a way to be a contender in the next couple years, his cap hit and term only hurts and his talent is wasted on a bad/mid team. As for Lundqvist, it was very concerning that he was so low on the depth chart of a Dallas d-core that lacked depth in these playoffs. I'd wouldn't mid taking a risk on him, but only if the value is low enough. Zetterlund was fantastic in NJ and to give up on his quarter season in SJ would be a mistake
justaBoss and Waffelz liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:39 p.m.

Damiani wouldn’t break into the top 5 of offensive prospects, and probably top 15 forwards for Buffalo. In other words, kinda irrelevant. Jani is a 32 year old UFA to be, and while he might get the second, I’m more not interested (and I’m fairly confident Buffalo management agrees here) that Novikov is off the table. Not many 19 year olds play in the KHL, and do it well. The knock on him was no one thought he’d come over and Buffalo got him to sign. I think it’s just an overpayment.
BUFF36 and justaBoss liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:46 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: BUFF36
Give you LA's 3rd and keep your 5th

I'd prolly look for better offers. If I'm after a pick in the region of 50-60 ish for Hakanpää+5th, the drop off to 86th pick is just too much.
BUFF36 liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 6:49 p.m.
What in tarnation
It honestly doesn't matter who the better player is for SJ. The only thing that matters right now is what's their cap hit, and how many years left. Also Vlasic wasn't terrible this year. He and Benning I believe were around 15th best in xGA in the league. It just makes more sense to ride that.

I like Marchment but unless there's a way to be a contender in the next couple years, his cap hit and term only hurts and his talent is wasted on a bad/mid team. As for Lundqvist, it was very concerning that he was so low on the depth chart of a Dallas d-core that lacked depth in these playoffs. I'd wouldn't mid taking a risk on him, but only if the value is low enough. Zetterlund was fantastic in NJ and to give up on his quarter season in SJ would be a mistake

Interesting notions here. I personally think there's lots to gain for the Sharks in the long run in this exchange, but I can't exactly deny anything you said here.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 7:01 p.m.
I'd prolly look for better offers. If I'm after a pick in the region of 50-60 ish for Hakanpää+5th, the drop off to 86th pick is just too much.

Well unfortunately we traded Vegas's 2nd this year for Greenway. I would have given that pick.
justaBoss liked this.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 9:12 p.m.
Torresing

No organization is acquiring a contract on an underachieving player that has over 18 mil in signing bonuses especially not a small market like SJ. Be realistic here. Its a TERRIBLE trade for SJ and Dallas clearly gets away with utter larceny here. Sharks reject and block Nills number.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 9:13 p.m.
Forget Kane. He is out for the next 4 to 6 months because of his hip surgery.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 9:20 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Phleb2
Forget Kane. He is out for the next 4 to 6 months because of his hip surgery.

So basically he's our Pacioretty and Klingberg of this season in the same package. Exactly why I signed him for one year only.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 10:32 p.m.
So basically he's our Pacioretty and Klingberg of this season in the same package. Exactly why I signed him for one year only.

You still want to sign a 35 years old for 7M$ coming from hip surgery, for maybe 70% of the season? I don’t.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll