Forums/Armchair-GM

Unconventional Off-season

Created by: TheBigFlyera
Team: 2023-24 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 4, 2023
Published: Jun. 4, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is obviously unconventional because it’s mostly division rival trades but it’s funny to think about instead of hammering the same exact trades to the same teams everyone has been doing for 2 months. You draft Michkov at 7 if he is there if not you draft Leonard. At 8 you draft Reinbacher or Leonard, if both are taken you draft ASP. Immediately you have a top line forward and top line defenseman. THAT is how you REBUILD @Comcast !!!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
3$3,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
3$2,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
At 7, Michkov
3$950,000
At 8, ASP or Leonard
3$950,000
Trades
PHI
  1. DeSmith, Casey
  2. Granlund, Mikael
  3. Petry, Jeff
  4. 2023 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
13th OA for taking $13N worth of cap for your arch rivals.
PIT
    Future considerations
    PHI
    1. Boqvist, Adam
    2. 2023 2nd round pick (CBJ)
    CBJ
    1. Provorov, Ivan ($2,000,000 retained)
    PHI
    1. Zadina, Filip
    2. 2023 1st round pick (NYI)
    3. 2023 2nd round pick (DET)
    PHI
    1. Bailey, Josh
    2. 2023 2nd round pick (NYI)
    NYI
    PHI
    1. 2023 1st round pick (WSH)
    Additional Details:
    8th
    WSH
    1. 2023 1st round pick (PIT)
    2. 2023 1st round pick (NYI)
    3. 2023 2nd round pick (CBJ)
    4. 2023 2nd round pick (NYI)
    Additional Details:
    13th, 17th, 34th, 49th
    PHI
    1. 2024 2nd round pick (ARI)
    Additional Details:
    ANYWHERE NOT ARZ
    ARI
    1. Deangelo, Anthony ($2,500,000 retained)
    PHI
    1. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
    COL
    1. Hayes, Kevin ($3,500,000 retained)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$83,500,000$78,825,250$1,187,500$0$4,674,750
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    $7,750,000$7,750,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $5,875,000$5,875,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C
    RFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333
    RW
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the New York Islanders
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $2,343,750$2,343,750
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,979,000$3,979,000
    G
    RFA - 1
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 8
    $5,100,000$5,100,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $785,000$785,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:10 p.m.
    and proud of it
    Avs decline.
    TheBigFlyera and Will27 liked this.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:11 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: HockeyManiac95
    Avs decline.

Seems ur fanbase is split on this trade. I have literally seen Avs teams with this exact trade and multiple say yes and multiple say no 🤷🏼‍♂️
    HockeyManiac95 liked this.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:12 p.m.
    and proud of it
    Quoting: TheBigFlyera
    Seems ur fanbase is split on this trade. I have literally seen Avs teams with this exact trade and multiple say yes and multiple say no 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah, don't hate the trade, just not sure if I'd trade that prospect. Probably Newhook instead for me, and maybe make the 1st a 3rd.
    TheBigFlyera liked this.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:13 p.m.
    Agreed avs say no. Remove Behrens and make it a 2024 first then you’d have a deal.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:22 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: HockeyManiac95
    Yeah, don't hate the trade, just not sure if I'd trade that prospect. Probably Newhook instead for me, and maybe make the 1st a 3rd.

Quoting: Will27
    Agreed avs say no. Remove Behrens and make it a 2024 first then you’d have a deal.

I would do either of a 2024 1st or Newhook and a 3rd. Appreciate the insight guys, thanks!
    HockeyManiac95 liked this.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:25 p.m.
    Alex Bump Truther
    Can't see PIT spending that much to ultimately make their roster worse in the now. The end result of that trade is a worse team with no top prospect. It wouldn't make a ton of sense to dump them rn.

CBJ would probably prefer sending different peices.

I think we're getting too much in the Hayes trade. Depending if they're desperate I could see them maybe sending a first with half retention but I'm not certain they would be willing to do that.

The TK and Bailey trades are fine.

I wouldn't spend that much to get #8. I think there is a dropoff after 7, and I think the player at 8 won't be good enough to warrant that price to jump up. Especially because thats the time teams will begin to reach for needs imo. I'm taking Yager, Musty,Cam Allen,Will Whitelaw (or whoever really) over Leonard or Pellika. Especially for us

The TDA trade would likely have to be at the deadline to get back a 2nd.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:33 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
    Can't see PIT spending that much to ultimately make their roster worse in the now. The end result of that trade is a worse team with no top prospect. It wouldn't make a ton of sense to dump them rn.

CBJ would probably prefer sending different peices.

I think we're getting too much in the Hayes trade. Depending if they're desperate I could see them maybe sending a first with half retention but I'm not certain they would be willing to do that.

The TK and Bailey trades are fine.

I wouldn't spend that much to get #8. I think there is a dropoff after 7, and I think the player at 8 won't be good enough to warrant that price to jump up. Especially because thats the time teams will begin to reach for needs imo. I'm taking Yager, Musty,Cam Allen,Will Whitelaw (or whoever really) over Leonard or Pellika. Especially for us

The TDA trade would likely have to be at the deadline to get back a 2nd.

For Pitt, it gives them $13M in cap space to revamp the team. Dubas will absolutely be looking to shed cap to sign a bunch of big free agents they have already publicly said that they are going to keep trying to contend for Crosby so they have to make a big splash in free agency.

For CBJ, I’m not giving them Provy for scraps. If not that trade they can send him elsewhere for more probably.

For Avs, it depends on what fan you talk to lol

As for the 8thOA. I think it’s fair on both sides. Washington gets an absolute haul and the Flyers have the ability to select either two top line forwards or a top line forward and top pairing defenseman and then they still have another late 1st from Avs and 2 1st rounders in 2024. This would be a franchise changing move. I believe ur completely incorrect and Danny Briere agrees with me he just said on a recent podcast that he believes you take best player available until 10th pick then you go for ur needs so if we got 7 and 8 he would take the two best players available which is two of Michkov, Leonard, ASP.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:34 p.m.
    Hockey Fiend
    Interesting trade , definitely would be worth considering for sure…. personally I would prefer they just keep the 8th overall or use the 8th to try and trade up but that trade offer would be enticing
    TheBigFlyera liked this.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 1:38 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Capitals_O
    Interesting trade , definitely would be worth considering for sure…. personally I would prefer they just keep the 8th overall or use the 8th to try and trade up but that trade offer would be enticing

Appreciate you looking and checking it out! I honestly think it’s a lot to give up and I don’t know if an extra 2nd or 3rd would put it over the top to be a guaranteed yes from Caps but I’d be willing to do that too. Sure it may be a giant overpay and most flyers fans will never be happy with what the team does lol but getting 7th and 8th in this draft would be franchise changing I believe. Obviously it’s unlikely to happen but it would be crazy if Danny could do something to pull it off
    Capitals_O liked this.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 2:01 p.m.
    Alex Bump Truther
    For Pitt, it gives them $13M in cap space to revamp the team. Dubas will absolutely be looking to shed cap to sign a bunch of big free agents they have already publicly said that they are going to keep trying to contend for Crosby so they have to make a big splash in free agency.

For CBJ, I’m not giving them Provy for scraps. If not that trade they can send him elsewhere for more probably.

For Avs, it depends on what fan you talk to lol

As for the 8thOA. I think it’s fair on both sides. Washington gets an absolute haul and the Flyers have the ability to select either two top line forwards or a top line forward and top pairing defenseman and then they still have another late 1st from Avs and 2 1st rounders in 2024. This would be a franchise changing move. I believe ur completely incorrect and Danny Briere agrees with me he just said on a recent podcast that he believes you take best player available until 10th pick then you go for ur needs so if we got 7 and 8 he would take the two best players available which is two of Michkov, Leonard, ASP.

Heres my thing with the Pens deal. This years FA class is terrible, so if they want to make a "splash" it's gonna have to be through trade imo. Because 13 millions dollars free just to give Alex Killorn 5m a year just puts them in the same hole they're in now. They also have a very lacking prospect pool. So this top pick is there best chance at reviving that imo. I think the best strategy for them would to be trade back a few spots and gain more assets. Leaving them with a decent pick still and firepower to play in the trade market.

I wouldn't give Provy away for scraps either, I actually think his value is still pretty high. I just think CBJ would rather deal other assets.

Also I listened to that podcast too, and I agree with what he said. I just don't think the player at 8 is drastically better than the player at 13 this year. I think teams generally reach on players like Dman or Centers in that area too. Reinbacher and ASP shouldn't be top 10 picks this year imo yet one of them likely will be. Which will leave us with a pretty good player at 13, and then another one at 17 and the we could fill out some positions while still picking for upside with the 2nd round picks.
    TheBigFlyera liked this.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 2:09 p.m.
    Hockey Fiend
    Appreciate you looking and checking it out! I honestly think it’s a lot to give up and I don’t know if an extra 2nd or 3rd would put it over the top to be a guaranteed yes from Caps but I’d be willing to do that too. Sure it may be a giant overpay and most flyers fans will never be happy with what the team does lol but getting 7th and 8th in this draft would be franchise changing I believe. Obviously it’s unlikely to happen but it would be crazy if Danny could do something to pull it off
    100% having 8 & 9 in this draft would be huge
    TheBigFlyera liked this.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
    Heres my thing with the Pens deal. This years FA class is terrible, so if they want to make a "splash" it's gonna have to be through trade imo. Because 13 millions dollars free just to give Alex Killorn 5m a year just puts them in the same hole they're in now. They also have a very lacking prospect pool. So this top pick is there best chance at reviving that imo. I think the best strategy for them would to be trade back a few spots and gain more assets. Leaving them with a decent pick still and firepower to play in the trade market.

I wouldn't give Provy away for scraps either, I actually think his value is still pretty high. I just think CBJ would rather deal other assets.

Also I listened to that podcast too, and I agree with what he said. I just don't think the player at 8 is drastically better than the player at 13 this year. I think teams generally reach on players like Dman or Centers in that area too. Reinbacher and ASP shouldn't be top 10 picks this year imo yet one of them likely will be. Which will leave us with a pretty good player at 13, and then another one at 17 and the we could fill out some positions while still picking for upside with the 2nd round picks.

That’s fair I mean let me phrase my opinion this way. If you can somehow get Michkov at 7 and Leonard at 8 you absolutely have to do so. But in my opinion that trade should be done literally during the 7th pick if you get what I’m saying. Like if you see Michkov at 7 u know ur taking him so u already have a pre-draft deal with Washington that says hey if Michkov is there at 7 and Leonard is there at 8 we will trade you those 4 picks for the 8OA. I wouldn’t do the deal unless that scenario happens or they love ASP. If one isn’t there then maybe you just keep all of the picks. As for Pitt, even if they have to go through trade, they will still have the cap space to do so with this trade. Right now they have no cap space and they don’t care about their prospect pool. They have already accepted that once Crosby is gone they will probably have to rebuild so they are just making a run every year til he is done which means they don’t care about picking in the draft.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 2:22 p.m.
    Philly probably would need to add like a 3rd or 4th but there’s a deal to be had there.
    TheBigFlyera liked this.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.
    Skip skibbity
    if Michkov is gone at 8, I'd do that for the Caps
    TheBigFlyera liked this.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 2:56 p.m.
    Casual Fan
    Washington isn’t going to do that. In the salary cap history of the NHL an 8th overall Pick was only traded once and Top 10 Picks generally have been traded less than ten times. This is a draft with incredible depth throughout the Top 10. 17th and a 2nd and 3rd is not enough to move up 5 spots and into the Top 10. While the offer seems good, in practice it’s never going to happen.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 2:58 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Kuzbackov
    Washington isn’t going to do that. In the salary cap history of the NHL an 8th overall Pick was only traded once and Top 10 Picks generally have been traded less than ten times. This is a draft with incredible depth throughout the Top 10. 17th and a 2nd and 3rd is not enough to move up 5 spots and into the Top 10. While the offer seems good, in practice it’s never going to happen.

Did you actually look at what ur talking about? It’s 13,17,34,49 lol so 2 middle 1sts, a super early 2nd, and a middle 3rd in a stacked draft. Saying it’s not enough is just flat out ridiculous lol, pretty much everyone agrees it’s TOO MUCH 😂😂😂
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 3:08 p.m.
    Skip skibbity
    Have you looked at trades involving Top 10 Picks in the NHL since the Salary Cap was introduced. The Picks have most frequently been traded for OTHER Top 10 Picks, almost never to move back OUT OF THE TOP 10. You and other idiots can say what you want, reality demonstrates that trades like you are proposing NEVER happen.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/often-top-10-nhl-draft-picks-traded-june/?sn-amp

The last time it happened was 2005 for #12, #49, #207 and it hasn’t happened since, nearly 20 years. I can assure you the Capitals will not be doing that.

If Michkov isn't there at 8, why wouldn't we do this lol
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 3:15 p.m.
    Banned
    Have you looked at trades involving Top 10 Picks in the NHL since the Salary Cap was introduced. The Picks have most frequently been traded for OTHER Top 10 Picks, almost never to move back OUT OF THE TOP 10. You and other idiots can say what you want, reality demonstrates that trades like you are proposing NEVER happen.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/often-top-10-nhl-draft-picks-traded-june/?sn-amp

The last time it happened was 2005 for #12, #49, #207 and it hasn’t happened since, nearly 20 years. I can assure you the Capitals will not be doing that.

Lmao yeah so it happened for 12, 49, 207 but you wouldn’t do it for 13,17,34,49 the logic is definitely there lol.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 3:16 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: BoringBrianMacLellan

This is like a huge overpay to the Caps I’m not sure what he is on about lol. Michkov will not be there at 8 the Flyers GM basically said already they are taking him at 7 if he is still there
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 3:18 p.m.
    Casual Fan
    Lmao yeah so it happened for 12, 49, 207 but you wouldn’t do it for 13,17,34,49 the logic is definitely there lol.

That was 20 years ago and it hasn’t happened since.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 3:19 p.m.
    Casual Fan
    Quoting: BoringBrianMacLellan

Teams do not trade OUT of the Top 10. For ANYTHING.
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 3:21 p.m.
    Banned
    That was 20 years ago and it hasn’t happened since.

So ur logic is because it’s rare it must mean it’s impossible lol makes sense to me. You can think what you want bud but since ur more interested in hurling insults than actually talking hockey I’ll just move on from this
    Jun. 4, 2023 at 11:34 p.m.
    this is the most intriguing trade down for just picks scenario i've seen for the caps. I think the haul is so big you can't pass it up, as much as I think they don't want to move down
    Jun. 5, 2023 at 12:03 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: qc14
    this is the most intriguing trade down for just picks scenario i've seen for the caps. I think the haul is so big you can't pass it up, as much as I think they don't want to move down

That’s kinda the point, add in so much the Caps can’t turn it down
    qc14 liked this.
    Jun. 5, 2023 at 12:19 p.m.
    Skip skibbity
    Teams do not trade OUT of the Top 10. For ANYTHING.

The Devils did it for Cory f'in Schneider, don't tell me it doesn't happen lmfao

actually it happened three years straight. 2011 Jeff Carter trade, 2012 Jordan Staal trade, 2013 Cory Schneider trade
    TheBigFlyera liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll