SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Vancouver Canucks

Canucks defense rankings

Jun. 20, 2017 at 11:19 p.m.
My rankings for canuck defenders (Tryamkin included)
Best puck-mover
1- Hutton
2- Stecher
3- Tryamkin
4- Tanev
5- Edler
6- Biega
7- Sbisa
8- Gudbranson

Best Shooter
1- Stecher
2- Hutton
3- Tryamkin
4- Edler
5- Gudbranson
6- Sbisa
7- Biega
8- Tanev

Best Physically
1- Gudbranson
2- Tryamkin
3- Stecher (very underrated)
4- Edler
5- Sbisa
6- Biega
7- Tanev
8- Hutton

Overall Offensively
1- Stecher
2- Hutton
3- Edler
4- Tryamkin
5- Sbisa
6- Gudbranson
7- Tanev
8- Biega

Overall Defensively
1- Tanev
2- Edler
3- Stecher
4- Tryamkin
5- Gudbranson
6- Biega
7- Sbisa
8- Hutton
Jun. 21, 2017 at 1:03 a.m.
Sbisa is the worst defensively. Period

And I would say Edler is more physical than Stecher. Led the team in hits this year I believe, if not he was second
Jun. 21, 2017 at 6:10 p.m.
Quoting: DavidBooth7

And I would say Edler is more physical than Stecher. Led the team in hits this year I believe, if not he was second

Hutton is actually really bad defensively, the only reason he plays in the NHL is that his offence makes up for it
Jun. 21, 2017 at 11:19 p.m.
Quoting: Sahil2020
Quoting: DavidBooth7

Hutton is actually really bad defensively, the only reason he plays in the NHL is that his offence makes up for it

Not saying Hutton is any good. But Sbisa is horrendous. Terrible Corsi, Fenwick, and every advanced stats there is

Thank you Vegas for taking him. I will always love your team for that
Jul. 7, 2017 at 11:15 a.m.
Canucks' have an upwelling of prospects at all positions. I think they're definitely going to stand pat until they get the trade offers they want, for anyone older than Horvat. Main reason is they don't feel the need to tank, and they can't rush the crop of prospects they have into being ready any earlier.

I come here mostly to run through ideas that won't happen, so I'm not knocking you.

The one angle where a trade is made before October is Juolevi pushing his way into the lineup. He looks ready and maybe good enough to justify blocking out a top 6 spot at season's start.
LHD depth =
Edler (31) $5M
Hutton (24) $2.8M
Del Zotto (27) $3M
Wiercoch (26) $0.65M
--NHL/AHL--
Pedan (24) $0.75M
McEneny (23) $RFA
Holm (25) $0.92M
Brisebois (19, 20 this month) $0.69M
* Tryamkin (22) $RFA

Clearly the Canucks prepared to give Juolevi a year in the minors playing against men (not 20 until next May he's too young for AHL, so he'd be loaned to a Pro team in Europe. No cap hit, they pay his salary, no mid-season).
If Juolevi stays, they have to rethink who they keep in light of vulnerability to waivers. Even though I anticipate Juolevi only staying if he gets minutes in the top 6, it looks like Juolevi vs. Wiercoch for a roster spot.

RHD depth =
Tanev (27) $4.45M
Gudbranson (25) $3.5M
Stecher (23) 0.925M
Biega (29) 0.75M
--NHL/AHL--
Subban (22) 0.75M
Chatfield (21) 0.65M

RHD depth is thinner. Chatfield looked good in the prospect scrimmage, but Canucks would still like to add some RHD depth to fill out Utica even before losing their #1.

Jordan Subban was tied for #3 in AHL D goals, the rest were 27/28 year old journeymen.

young RHD near top of AHL goal scoring:
Ryan Pulock #6, 15 G, age 22, NYI
Kyle Wood #7, 14 G, age 21, ARI
Mackenzie Weegar #7, 14G, age 23, FLA
* Brandon Montour #12, 13G in half a season, age 23, ANA

Kyle Wood
6'5" age 21, 223 lbs, 84 overall in 2014 draft by Colorado
acquired by Coyotes Feb 2016. [ COL: Boedker (left in summer for SJ) | ARI: Tanguay (retired), Conner Bleackley (ECHL), Kyle Wood ]

The NYI lost RHD Hamonic, and they like many teams have many more LHD (Sebastian Aho for example) prospects than RHD. Their NHL RHD are Seidenberg@35yo Boychuck@33yo and fill-in 6'5" 220lb slow Scott Mayfield@24yo. I would not be surprised if they are phoning Jim Benning every Monday morning to talk and ask about Chris Tanev.

Maybe it's time for trade ideas with Arizona or NYI given that they are making a push and bringing in a new lot of new blood to win now.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll