SomethingSmoo Take 3

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: SomethingSmooth
Published: Jun. 5, 2023 at 5:43 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Consensus Pick
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Consensus Pick
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Consensus Pick
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Sharks opt for impact sooner rather than later.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Montreal isn't afraid of waiting.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Building the defensive core.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Flyers see big man, draft big man.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-BPA
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Too good to pass up.
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Building the defensive core.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Take a chance on a talented player who may have skating flaw.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsJust a solid pick.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-I like Gulyayev, **** you. Too bad.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Pens see opportunity to get faster.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-Yager will certainly "get people out of their seats."
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-Stellar, complete player. Calgary won't be disappointed.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersToo good to pass up again.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Building the defensive core.
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningFriend of Bedard + highly talented and exciting player to pair with Bedard. Will sell tickets like crazy.
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-A, by the numbers, great player. Talented playmaking winger to add to the front end.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Monster shot. Too good to pass up.
22Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Los Angeles KingsGreat all around player. Good C depth add.
23Logo of the New York Rangers-BPA
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersInject youth into the D core.
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsBPA
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsBig net driver with decent speed. Will probably replace Meier.
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-BPA
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsBPA
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas StarsBPA
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-BPA
31Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersMontreal continues to show they aren't afraid of small players. Injects more grit and compete into the front end.
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-BPA
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
33Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Building the defensive core.
34Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-BPA
35Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-BPA
36Logo of the San Jose Sharks-BPA
37Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Building the defensive core.
38Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-One of my favorites this draft, probably falls for unknown reasons. A lucky pick for the Coyotes.
39Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Philadelphia FlyersBPA
40Logo of the Washington Capitals-BPA
41Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Take a chance on a big boy in the hopes that skating improves.
42Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the St. Louis BluesBPA
43Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Vancouver CanucksBPA
44Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsBPA
45Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-BPA
46Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsBPA
47Logo of the Nashville Predators-BPA
48Logo of the Calgary Flames-Rebuilding the goalie pipeline early.
49Logo of the New York Islanders-BPA
50Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Winnipeg JetsBPA
51Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningBPA
52Logo of the Seattle Kraken-BPA
53Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
54Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
55Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the New York Rangers
56Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
57Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
58Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
59Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
60Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
61Logo of the Dallas Stars-
62Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
63Logo of the Florida Panthers-
64Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
Jun. 5, 2023 at 6:08 p.m.
SK
The Jets do need D, but NO WAY do they take Dragicevic when players like Cristall, Honzek, But and Musty are still on the board.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 6:10 p.m.
Quoting: SKWPG
The Jets do need D, but NO WAY do they take Dragicevic when players like Cristall, Honzek, But and Musty are still on the board.

That's a fair point.
SKWPG liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 1:05 a.m.
well done. I think you've done a good job of finding player team fits as well. In terms of ranking, I would have a few players in different spots (ie switch Leonard and Sale), but we all know drafts don't go according to rankings
Jun. 6, 2023 at 9:41 a.m.
With Danny B as the Flyers new GM i do not think the big player narrative is in play anymore.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.
Bedard23

Why do you still rate those 4 so highly? None of them are even close to my top 20
Jun. 6, 2023 at 1:00 p.m.
SK
Quoting: IconicHawk
Why do you still rate those 4 so highly? None of them are even close to my top 20

My rankings are biased. I have 36 players ranked so far and they are biased based on how I see them fitting on the Jets. This is why I have Michikov at 10 on my list, being the lowest he's probably ever placed by anyone.

Cristall's high hockey IQ / vision amazing passing and dynamic skating. He's crazy talented with off the charts edgework and speed. Don't laugh, but I see him possibly being close to Marner's level in the NHL.

Honzek is another big boy at 6'4" and also has good vision. He seems to be able to go on offense and get back and help the D. Probably a 3rd liner, but possibly a 2nd liner if he keeps improving. If he hadn't been injured, who knows. He was 2nd in points for rookies in the WHL with 55 points in 43 games. His edgework and good control with decent hands.

But is a 6'5", over 200 lb. Power Forward potential. He has size and a heavy shot and seems to like going to get the puck and go net front with his push, etc.

Musty is a power forward with skills and a heavy shot as well. His size and edgy play is something I like. He's already 6'2" and 200lbs. That's my kind of winger.

I like Dragicevic, but I have him listed as my 8th D in the draft.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 1:54 p.m.
Bedard23
My rankings are biased. I have 36 players ranked so far and they are biased based on how I see them fitting on the Jets. This is why I have Michikov at 10 on my list, being the lowest he's probably ever placed by anyone.

Cristall's high hockey IQ / vision amazing passing and dynamic skating. He's crazy talented with off the charts edgework and speed. Don't laugh, but I see him possibly being close to Marner's level in the NHL.

Honzek is another big boy at 6'4" and also has good vision. He seems to be able to go on offense and get back and help the D. Probably a 3rd liner, but possibly a 2nd liner if he keeps improving. If he hadn't been injured, who knows. He was 2nd in points for rookies in the WHL with 55 points in 43 games. His edgework and good control with decent hands.

But is a 6'5", over 200 lb. Power Forward potential. He has size and a heavy shot and seems to like going to get the puck and go net front with his push, etc.

Musty is a power forward with skills and a heavy shot as well. His size and edgy play is something I like. He's already 6'2" and 200lbs. That's my kind of winger.

I like Dragicevic, but I have him listed as my 8th D in the draft.

1. Cristall’s skating has died a slow and painful death (thanks knee injuries)

2. Honzek is a bad defender which is almost unheard of for a player his size and is inconsistent

3. But is massive but very immobile and in a speed based game, he’s going to have a hard time

4. Has injury problems (not to major) and really isn’t physical for someone his size
Jun. 6, 2023 at 1:55 p.m.
Quoting: Logicalicesports
With Danny B as the Flyers new GM i do not think the big player narrative is in play anymore.

I might be too quick to judge Philly, but I think the issue with desiring size and grit goes further than the GM position. It's an organizational trend.

Maybe they buck that, maybe they don't. I'm just banking on it being deeper than the GM.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 2:03 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
1. Cristall’s skating has died a slow and painful death (thanks knee injuries)

2. Honzek is a bad defender which is almost unheard of for a player his size and is inconsistent

3. But is massive but very immobile and in a speed based game, he’s going to have a hard time

4. Has injury problems (not to major) and really isn’t physical for someone his size

Here's my thoughts on this:

1. Cristall is still only 17, he can recover from those injuries. He's also still producing despite them, which inspires confidence that he will recover at least to 80-90% of what he used to be over the Summer.

2. Defense is something you can learn. He's got the tools. Maybe he needs an extra year in the AHL, but the tools are too good to say he will never get better.

3. But is going to be someone's nightmare for sure. Needs a lot of skating coaches and probably won't put it all together until he's 24-25, if ever.

4. Musty is still a good playmaking winger. He's not hindered by his speed which is NHL average. Probably caps out as a 2nd line winger, but is excellent value anywhere from 20th overall onwards.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll