Forums/Armchair-GM

Why does everyone on here hate Brodie so much

Created by: jsteed02
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 6, 2023
Published: Jun. 6, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
He’s in the 100th percentile defensively (and 99th percentile PK) according to TopDownHockey’s model, and other models say similar things. He got paired with Justin Holl or Morgan Rielly for most of the season and was the only reason Holl was remotely playable, and I see people on here SPENDING PICKS to offload him. I don’t understand it at all, he’s been a rock on defence for us.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
15$83,500,000$68,731,450$0$0$14,768,550
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 6, 2023 at 3:39 p.m.
Lots of people go just by stats, but if you watch him play he is truly a liability. Would be much better off with Timmins than him and that’s not saying a lot
Jun. 6, 2023 at 3:42 p.m.
Quoting: KingExLeafs
Agree to disagree

Who would be your ideal TJ Brodie replacement?
Jun. 6, 2023 at 3:43 p.m.
Quoting: SashaLavery
Lots of people go just by stats, but if you watch him play he is truly a liability. Would be much better off with Timmins than him and that’s not saying a lot

I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion. Opinions like yours are why people often use advanced stats to guide their opinions. You clearly have some bias against his style of play.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 3:48 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
By no means am I suggesting they move him for the sake of it, there has to be a corresponding move to fill it. TOR needs an injection of skill, mobility, and puck movement into their group of defensemen.

For Brodie, his age, decline in play, and having 1 year left on his deal are reasons I want to explore a trade.

Warning signs are there

This team needs to get some more offence outside of Rielly
FxznkrCaAAA3WRS?format=jpg&name=large

We could have up to 20 million dollars in cap space this off season. Has it ever occurred to you that we could add “skill, mobility, and luck movement” without giving up our best defencman?

imo, the fact Brodie has 1 year left makes him less ideal to move in from. The return wouldn’t be worth it. And if he declines as you say (even though he hasn’t shown any signs of declining), then we don’t have to re-sign him. Or we sign him to a cheaper deal and make him an effective 3rd pair shutdown defencman.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
Quoting: GladeBang12
Who would be your ideal TJ Brodie replacement?

Someone with a right shot, like Pesce from Carolina. No one in free agency is attractive enough to chase. There are some good names but none of them can play top pairing minutes.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.
Someone with a right shot, like Pesce from Carolina. No one in free agency is attractive enough to chase. There are some good names but none of them can play top pairing minutes.

So then why would we trade him?
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:04 p.m.
So then why would we trade him?

Because Brodie isn't a right shot, and he can't play top pairing minutes. Why should Leafs settle for average?
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:07 p.m.
Because Brodie isn't a right shot, and he can't play top pairing minutes. Why should Leafs settle for average?

You just said there isn't a replacement that can play top pairing minutes.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:08 p.m.
torontos finest
if i had to guess it might just be that KingExLeafs guy who hates him, and since he makes like 20 acgms a day it seems like it's a lot of people
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:10 p.m.
You just said there isn't a replacement that can play top pairing minutes.

There is, via trade, not free agency.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
if i had to guess it might just be that KingExLeafs guy who hates him, and since he makes like 20 acgms a day it seems like it's a lot of people

I think the majority of Leafs fans have soured on Brodie, especially after the playoffs. Recency bias.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
We could have up to 20 million dollars in cap space this off season. Has it ever occurred to you that we could add “skill, mobility, and luck movement” without giving up our best defencman?

imo, the fact Brodie has 1 year left makes him less ideal to move in from. The return wouldn’t be worth it. And if he declines as you say (even though he hasn’t shown any signs of declining), then we don’t have to re-sign him. Or we sign him to a cheaper deal and make him an effective 3rd pair shutdown defencman.

The fact that he has one year left makes Brodie an ideal trade candidate. Treliving was open to moving him in CGY, would not surprise me to see it happen again.
I would just counter with since Brodie became a Leaf he has played 56, 82, 58 games. So far starters you can't even pencil him into a full season. And if you back the season before he joined TOR he played 64. So durability is certainly a concern as he will be 33 years old at the start on next season. Now you factor in IF you are bringing back Schenn, you him, Brodie and McCabe who are all very poor skaters and offer nothing offensively. And until otherwise told, you have a very slow Giordano in the lineup. It wasn't until Keefe moved Brodie to his strong side (LD) that he looked comfortable again on the ice. So if the plan is to have Rielly, McCabe, Brodie on LD then finding a legit top 4 RD that can move the puck is a must.

Time will tell I guess. But I am in the camp of moving on from him
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:13 p.m.
There is, via trade, not free agency.

Brett Pesce would be very difficult to acquire. Not to mention he isn't even that substantial of an upgrade over Brodie. And even if we did trade for a player, why does that mean we have to dump Brodie? We aren't pressed against the cap at all.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
Brett Pesce would be very difficult to acquire. Not to mention he isn't even that substantial of an upgrade over Brodie. And even if we did trade for a player, why does that mean we have to dump Brodie? We aren't pressed against the cap at all.

Pesce is just one potential candidate. And I think Liljegren should be given top 4 minutes to develop, so do you really want Brodie being the 6th defenceman? That money can be better used to upgrade the top six, there are a couple of quality wingers available in FA.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:17 p.m.
The fact that he has one year left makes Brodie an ideal trade candidate. Treliving was open to moving him in CGY, would not surprise me to see it happen again.
I would just counter with since Brodie became a Leaf he has played 56, 82, 58 games. So far starters you can't even pencil him into a full season. And if you back the season before he joined TOR he played 64. So durability is certainly a concern as he will be 33 years old at the start on next season. Now you factor in IF you are bringing back Schenn, you him, Brodie and McCabe who are all very poor skaters and offer nothing offensively. And until otherwise told, you have a very slow Giordano in the lineup. It wasn't until Keefe moved Brodie to his strong side (LD) that he looked comfortable again on the ice. So if the plan is to have Rielly, McCabe, Brodie on LD then finding a legit top 4 RD that can move the puck is a must.

Time will tell I guess. But I am in the camp of moving on from him

I'm not disagreeing that we have to acquire another top-4 defenceman. I just don't understand the logic in moving on from Brodie while doing so.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:21 p.m.
Pesce is just one potential candidate. And I think Liljegren should be given top 4 minutes to develop, so do you really want Brodie being the 6th defenceman? That money can be better used to upgrade the top six, there are a couple of quality wingers available in FA.

I guess we just don't see eye-to-eye on Brodie as a player. I think he's easily the best defenceman on this team and has proved himself to be one of the most reliable defensive players in the league the past 3 seasons. A couple series where he played the hardest minutes on the team because no one else is competent defensively shouldn't discredit his entire resume of being a solid 2/3 defenceman. Not sure what else I could say to you. Just remember how awful this team was defensively before he was acquired.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:28 p.m.
I guess we just don't see eye-to-eye on Brodie as a player. I think he's easily the best defenceman on this team and has proved himself to be one of the most reliable defensive players in the league the past 3 seasons. A couple series where he played the hardest minutes on the team because no one else is competent defensively shouldn't discredit his entire resume of being a solid 2/3 defenceman. Not sure what else I could say to you. Just remember how awful this team was defensively before he was acquired.

Brodie has been very useful, the stats speak for themselves. But he's not a playoff type player. Leafs need to get bigger and meaner on the blue line. Look at the Vegas defense. Big bodies win games in the spring.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:31 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I'm not disagreeing that we have to acquire another top-4 defenceman. I just don't understand the logic in moving on from Brodie while doing so.

Do you want Schenn back? What does your ideal top 6 on the backend look like?
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:43 p.m.
Brodie has been very useful, the stats speak for themselves. But he's not a playoff type player. Leafs need to get bigger and meaner on the blue line. Look at the Vegas defense. Big bodies win games in the spring.

I'm not saying we don't need to get better in that aspect. I just want someone to answer why we can't acquire a player AND keep Brodie. You can make up whatever hypothetical scenario you want where we spend Brodie's 5 million on some top-6 player, but that doesn't neglect that fact that losing Brodie (even after acquiring a "tough" defenceman) will create a hole in the top-4. Not to mention we actually have the cap space to acquire a defenceman, keep Brodie, AND pay a top-6 forward 5 million.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:46 p.m.
I'm not saying we don't need to get better in that aspect. I just want someone to answer why we can't acquire a player AND keep Brodie. You can make up whatever hypothetical scenario you want where we spend Brodie's 5 million on some top-6 player, but that doesn't neglect that fact that losing Brodie (even after acquiring a "tough" defenceman) will create a hole in the top-4. Not to mention we actually have the cap space to acquire a defenceman, keep Brodie, AND pay a top-6 forward 5 million.

For me, if Brodie only plays the right side, then I would prefer Liljegren to be in the top 4 because he needs playing time to develop and get better. I don't think it's beneficial for Liljegren or the team to stick him on the bottom pair for another year. And I don't want any bottom pairing defenceman making 5 million, so if Brodie isn't on the top pair then he should be moved.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:49 p.m.
Do you want Schenn back? What does your ideal top 6 on the backend look like?

I'd like Schenn back under the circumstance that it's a very cheap deal, which it likely will be. And that doesn't necessarily mean we have to commit to playing him in the lineup every night. He looked great in the playoffs next to Rielly, but you and I both know that expecting those same results for entire 82 game season isn't realistic.

Next years defence can go many different ways, and I think it pretty much depends on whether we decide to move Brodie to the left side or not. I wouldn't mind having a a left side of Brodie-McCabe-Rielly with a weaker right side. A lot of teams tend to play their 3 best defencemen on different lines. Something like:

Brodie - New Guy (Mobile/Physical)
McCabe - Lilly
Rielly - Schenn

Bottom line is
a) Removing Brodie from this team doesn't make them better in any way
b) We don't even have to move on from him if we want to change the makeup of the D
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:53 p.m.
For me, if Brodie only plays the right side, then I would prefer Liljegren to be in the top 4 because he needs playing time to develop and get better. I don't think it's beneficial for Liljegren or the team to stick him on the bottom pair for another year. And I don't want any bottom pairing defenceman making 5 million, so if Brodie isn't on the top pair then he should be moved.

But we know Brodie doesn't only play the right side. We've seen Keefe play him on the left numerous times.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:57 p.m.
But we know Brodie doesn't only play the right side. We've seen Keefe play him on the left numerous times.

Yes, that's the only scenario where I see him staying on the Leafs.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:58 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I'd like Schenn back under the circumstance that it's a very cheap deal, which it likely will be. And that doesn't necessarily mean we have to commit to playing him in the lineup every night. He looked great in the playoffs next to Rielly, but you and I both know that expecting those same results for entire 82 game season isn't realistic.

Next years defence can go many different ways, and I think it pretty much depends on whether we decide to move Brodie to the left side or not. I wouldn't mind having a a left side of Brodie-McCabe-Rielly with a weaker right side. A lot of teams tend to play their 3 best defencemen on different lines. Something like:

Brodie - New Guy (Mobile/Physical)
McCabe - Lilly
Rielly - Schenn

Bottom line is
a) Removing Brodie from this team doesn't make them better in any way
b) We don't even have to move on from him if we want to change the makeup of the D

I am not apposed to bringing back Brodie but he no longer should be playing the right side, so ya, if they keep Brodie, Rielly, Mcabe is the only way I see working.

I just can't see a Dcore or Rielly, Schenn, McCabe, Brodie, Liljegren working after we just saw they get crushed in the playoffs. Trouble breaking the puck out, stopping the cycle, brutal zone entry defence, I want to see some significant change. But that goes with the coach too, I do not like how passive Keefe makes them play.

Rielly Schenn
McCabe Liljegren

I would like to see two new guys.

Brodie - New Guy (Mobile/Physical) Who is this guy you like?
McCabe - Lilly
Rielly - Schenn
Jun. 6, 2023 at 6:31 p.m.
I am not apposed to bringing back Brodie but he no longer should be playing the right side, so ya, if they keep Brodie, Rielly, Mcabe is the only way I see working.

I just can't see a Dcore or Rielly, Schenn, McCabe, Brodie, Liljegren working after we just saw they get crushed in the playoffs. Trouble breaking the puck out, stopping the cycle, brutal zone entry defence, I want to see some significant change. But that goes with the coach too, I do not like how passive Keefe makes them play.

Rielly Schenn
McCabe Liljegren

I would like to see two new guys.

Brodie - New Guy (Mobile/Physical) Who is this guy you like?
McCabe - Lilly
Rielly - Schenn

I recognize there aren’t many realistic options that can fit that mould. Dumba is one that comes to mind, but his underlying numbers have been below-average the past few seasons. Maybe Brodie’s defensive play can allow Dumba to play to his strengths. I don’t mind the top-4 you have (I have those pairs on the team too), but I’d be cautious with your expectations of Rielly-Schenn. Having said that, I think our blue line has always, and will continue to lack a true #1D. I don’t think there’s any significant change you can make that would IMPROVE the blue line, despite the change in style. The time for that likely won’t come until JTs contract is up.
MatthewsFan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll