SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CBJ/LAK/PHI) - 2023 1st (LAK), 2024 2nd (CBJ) for Petersen, Walker, Grans, 2024 2nd (LAK) for Provorov, Hodgson, Connauton

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:07 p.m.
Flyers got a lot. Yes, they took on a terrible contract, but they got rid of a bad contract, added a player, a prospect, and three draft picks.

LA got out of a really bad contract, perhaps spending too much to do so.

Columbus got... what? Provorov at 30% off is still too much to pay. And they gave up assets to get him. Why? WHY!?
OldNYIfan, KyleDubasWWEFAN, Steven_Stamkos and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:09 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: mondo
also try not to get cancelled, folks. you might end up in ohio

Almost forgot about that incident
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:09 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
Did LA really use Grans Helge and a 2nd to dump off Petersen?
OldNYIfan, KyleDubasWWEFAN, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni
He may have positive value somewhere, but the value of an additional 2.65M to spend on other areas rather than a 3rd pairing defensemen this year is what they are paying for. The opportunity cost is what they are getting in return.

Which is terrible asset management. They could have traded him elsewhere for positive value.
OldNYIfan, AK50 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
Quoting: AK50
Did LA really use Grans Helge and a 2nd to dump off Petersen?

And Walker and retained 2 million dollars for 2 years
OldNYIfan, exo2769, KenHollandsGrandpa and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
yotes own canada
Edited Jun. 6, 2023 at 6:07 p.m.
provorov is solid but really just worth a couple of mid round picks +b prospects. banger of a trade for flyers. the deal is terrible for LA so i wonder if they viewed walker as a cap dump
AK50 liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:16 p.m.
What in tarnation
Massive Briere W
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:19 p.m.
Canes hockey.
Edited Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:37 p.m.. Reason: Add-ons part 2
Initial thoughts are: Great first trade for Briere, CBJ meh, and LAK gets a little cap space.

For Philly I love the deal, they get a cap dump in Petersen but they're rebuilding so it's whatever. I like Sean Walker, I think he's a solid cheap top 4 D that they can easily flip, Grans could turn into something (Idk much about him personally), and a 1st rounder in a absolutely stacked draft. And two 2nd's is also just an amazing bonus to go along with this, would be even better if they were in the 2023 draft.

For CBJ, I don't really get the point. They do get Provorov retained for a 4.725 cap hit (which is a great contract), but for a likely higher 1st and a 2nd rounder I wouldn't do it. Hell, even Sean Walker isn't far off from Provorov's skill either so just weird.

For LAK, I simply don't like it. They do get some valuable cap space, but for everything they gave up to do so is just absurd. They retained 2 mil on Provorov, and of course dumped Petersen's awful contract but only for 3 mil (from retainment). I get that this gives them some extra money to play with (and also to extend Gavrikov), but not one of Blake's best trades. (Of course by also dumping Walker they get rid of 2.6 mil also, but I think they might as well just kept Walker since they're gonna have to replace him, and Hodgson/Connauton are decent call ups, but nothing that will probably have an impact on the team.

Curious to see where Hart goes too......hopefully Briere doesn't follow up this trade with a terrible one.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:19 p.m.
If Provorov took issue with Torts being a hard-ass, cant wait to see what he thinks of Babs lol
rollie1967 and Joe_La_Garnotte liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:22 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I'm happy about the cap savings but definitely not thrilled about the price to obtain it, and not just because I said many times that we wouldn't have to pay this. On value, I think that we should have been able to get Cam York on the way back. And why in the world did we use up two slots on the 50-man roster to benefit the Flyers?!? Those two stiffs will never see the inside of an NHL arena unless they pay for the tickets.

Philly did very, very well here.

As long as Provorov doesn't crater this year or next, Columbus did okay. In essence, they acquired Provorov at 30% off in exchange for a conditional second (almost certain to be in 2025), Gavrikov (whom they weren't going to re-sign) and Korpisalo (whom they weren't going to re-sign.
KenHollandsGrandpa, Steven_Stamkos, poeticentropy and 1 other person liked this.
sensonfire
Los Angeles Kings:

Paid Helge Grans + 2024 2nd to dump Cal Petersen ---- Fine

Traded Sean Walker for Ivan Provorov's salary retention + a couple of AHL scrubs ---- Awful

Kings lose the trade

Columbus Blue Jackets:

Traded #22 overall pick + 2024 2nd for Ivan Provorov at 4.725 million x 2 ---- Good

Blue Jackets win the trade

Philadelphia Flyers:

Traded Ivan Provorov without being the team that retains his salary for #22 overall + 2024/2025 2nd ---- Good

Traded a couple of AHL scrubs for Sean Walker ---- Good

Received Helge Grans + 2024 2nd for taking Cal Petersen ---- Fine

Flyers win the trade

In conclusion ...

Flyers and Blue Jackets win the trade

Kings lose the trade
Saskleaf, KennyBoi, exo2769 and 6 others liked this.
Go leafs go
Big win for Philly and Columbus. Philly gets a lot of good value and Columbus gets a very good top 4 d man at a very reasonable price, both in acquisition cost and cap hit.

What the heck is LA doing though
sensonfire, OldNYIfan, AK50 and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:23 p.m.
GM of the Year
Philly gets **** on again...Philly only gets a late 1st (#22), Philly takes on a bad Contract (5M Petersen), Philly loses one of its best trading assets, Sean Walker is nothing to get excited about.

Philly loses this deal.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:25 p.m.
Taught Him Everythin
LA the loser here IMO; $2M a year of retention and they gave up Walker and a 2nd to still get rid of Peterson. Iguess the LA fanbois were right about not trading a first but idk whats worse :P

CBJ second taking a chance on a D who has shown be can be a Top 2 guy in the past.

Flyers the winner as they move to a tear down
OldNYIfan, Saskleaf, sensonfire and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:26 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Sparkyboi_GoCanes
Initial thoughts are: Great first trade for Briere, CBJ meh, and LAK gets a little cap space.

For Philly I love the deal, they get a cap dump in Petersen but they're rebuilding so it's whatever. I like Sean Walker, I think he's a solid cheap top 4 D that they can easily flip, Grans could turn into something (Idk much about him personally), and a 1st rounder in a absolutely stacked draft. And two 2nd's is also just an amazing bonus to go along with this, would be even better if they were in the 2023 draft.

For CBJ, I don't really get the point. They do get Provorov retained for a 4.725 cap hit (which is a great contract), but for a likely higher 1st and a 2nd rounder I wouldn't do it. Hell, even Sean Walker isn't far off from Provorov's skill either so just weird.

For LAK, I simply don't like it. They do get some valuable cap space, but for everything they gave up to do so is just absurd. They retained 2 mil on Provorov, and of course dumped Petersen's awful contract but only for 3 mil (from retainment). I get that this gives them some extra money to play with (and also to extend Gavrikov), but not one of Blake's best trades.

Curious to see where Hart goes too......hopefully Briere doesn't follow up this trade with a terrible one.

It's actually not even $3M. Peterson was in the AHL with a cap hit of $3.85M...$1.15M less. So LAK are really only gaining ~$1.8M in cap space if we're just talking about Peterson and the retention.
OldNYIfan, Svechy37, Tintin and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:29 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: AlCanal
Philly gets **** on again...Philly only gets a late 1st (#22), Philly takes on a bad Contract (5M Petersen), Philly loses one of its best trading assets, Sean Walker is nothing to get excited about.

Philly loses this deal.

Thanks. You really cheered me up. The only thing wronger than my conviction that we wouldn't have to pay NEAR this price to dump Petersen is your comment.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:29 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer

Philly loses this deal.

Or, for the people who aren't cynics, PHI gets a 1st, 2 2nds, a 21 yr old defense prospect, a roster defenseman who they can flip for a little something and yeah a bad contract (for a rebuilding team, who cares).
AK50, Steven_Stamkos, OldNYIfan and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.
Taught Him Everythin

Philly loses this deal.

Walker can be a 1st at the TDL depending on how he plays and at 50% retained.
22nd in a deep draft swill hit a little different, plus you dont need that pick to paly for a few years.
2nd could be closer to a late first...
Part of taking a bad contract but at least ditn retain on ivan either
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:31 p.m.
Canes hockey.
Quoting: exo2769
It's actually not even $3M. Peterson was in the AHL with a cap hit of $3.85M...$1.15M less. So LAK are really only gaining ~$1.8M in cap space if we're just talking about Peterson and the retention.

Yeah you're right, I guess they really wanted to get rid of Petersen lol.
exo2769, OldNYIfan and BCAPP liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:32 p.m.
Majors and minors
Columbus is overstocked on Defensemen so what do they do, they bring in more. Alright. okay, including Bean and Werenski on 82.5, they have 33%+ of their salary on defense. Alright, so now Columbus' young D don't play anytime in the future, ex Svozil, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Ceulemans, etc. I mean fist round picks wanna' play. See Buff's defense. I'm guessing their wanting to be trades as of yesterday. Columbus lost a first round pick for Gavrikov and Korpisalo, and Quick; retaining the 3rd round pick and 7 round pick and Hutchinson; LAK stripped you of your charms, Philly took your experience; Essentially nothing to show for Korpisalo and Gavrikov, right. I'm looking at those young dmen out of Columbus' farms, of course, because theres no chance of getting to the next level.
Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:32 p.m.
Taught Him Everythin
Quoting: Sparkyboi_GoCanes
Yeah you're right, I guess they really wanted to get rid of Petersen lol.

I was never a fan of anyone named Cal either haha
Svechy37 liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:33 p.m.
sen krak fan
I'd say Phillly won. Interesting trade.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
I’m neutral here. For LA, I feel like you need to get something back for what you gave up, BUT they cleared 5 million in cap. That’s something I want the Bruins to do, trade Ullmark for a pick. But don’t get fleeced like LA.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:41 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: BruinsGM37
I’m neutral here. For LA, I feel like you need to get something back for what you gave up, BUT they cleared 5 million in cap. That’s something I want the Bruins to do, trade Ullmark for a pick. But don’t get fleeced like LA.

It's worse when you realize that Cal was waived and sent to the AHL meaning his cap hit wasn't actually $5M. It was $3.85M. Cap Space is worth more than gold right now.
BruinsGM37, KyleDubasWWEFAN, sensonfire and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:42 p.m.
A WILD Golden Gopher
wait....we can do trades now?
poeticentropy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit