Forums/Armchair-GM

I wonder

Created by: jonh514
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 6, 2023
Published: Jun. 6, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not a fan of Michkov and I don't see a huge difference between Leonard and Tippet, except that Tippet can help us now!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,750,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Hart, Carter
  2. Tippett, Owen
  3. 2023 1st round pick (LAK)
Additional Details:
Habs get a couple of 24 year olds they can sign to long term deals anytime after July 1st or when they become RFAs after next season

Habs move up from 31 to 22
PHI
  1. Allen, Jake
  2. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
  3. 2023 1st round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Philly get a backup for Peterson (they don't really care either way, they want to lose)
Philly get to kickoff their rebuild by picking twice in the top 10
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$71,165,666$1,170,000$4,195,000$12,334,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$3,979,000$3,979,000
G
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:20 p.m.
Banned
It feels light. Like I think I would do it but I would be way more comfortable with an extra 2nd if we are taking Armia back
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:21 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: TheBigFlyera
It feels light. Like I think I would do it but I would be way more comfortable with an extra 2nd if we are taking Armia back

You are offering to take Armia as well if I throw in an additional 2nd?
Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:24 p.m.

There is no Armia?
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:24 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: jonh514
You are offering to take Armia as well if I throw in an additional 2nd?

Quoting: Just_A_Guess
There is no Armia?

I meant Allen sorry lol
jonh514 and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:28 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
I meant Allen sorry lol

LOL. I figured, just being a jerk over here!

I think this is probably already a huge sell on the MTL side, which is why I swapped the late 1sts. I'm not disagreeing, but politically I don't think the Habs would give up more. Maybe you find a better offer, not sure.
TheBigFlyera and Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:30 p.m.
Ya the habs are not trading a 5th overall pick for that package thats not remotely close
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:32 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Black61
Ya the habs are not trading a 5th overall pick for that package thats not remotely close

Why is the 5th OA so valuable? Who do you expect the Habs to pick with it? Can we compare that player to these players so we can get an understanding of where this value comes from?
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:32 p.m.
LOL. I figured, just being a jerk over here!

I think this is probably already a huge sell on the MTL side, which is why I swapped the late 1sts. I'm not disagreeing, but politically I don't think the Habs would give up more. Maybe you find a better offer, not sure.

Agreed. With 5OA going out I can't see us continuing to add more on top of the offer you proposed (I'm on the fence about it as it stands anyway lol)
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:36 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Agreed. With 5OA going out I can't see us continuing to add more on top of the offer you proposed (I'm on the fence about it as it stands anyway lol)

EDIT:

I would never trade the 4OA in this draft cause I like Smith a lot.

I cannot imagine this humble team with Michkov on it cherry picking up ice waiting for a pass. I heard Arpon Basu describe him as akin to Jonathan Drouin (with more talent, but the same lack of commitment to defence). I really don't want to go down this road again.

Reinbacher, Leonard, Dvorsky... How is Hart and Tippet next year not better than one of those guys in 2-3 years?
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:55 p.m.

I cannot imagine this humble team with Michkov on it cherry picking up ice waiting for a pass. I heard Arpon Basu describe him as akin to Jonathan Drouin (with more talent, but the same lack of commitment to defence). I really don't want to go down this road again.

Reinbacher, Leonard, Dvorsky... How is Hart and Tippet not better than one of those guys?

There's ways to acquire 1 or both of those guys without moving 5OA. Reinbacher fills a gaping organizational hole on RD, Leonard idk haven't spent very many moons evaluating him but he seems like a potent goal scorer, and Dvorsky should be picked in the 8-12 range imo (not top 5). Hart would be wonderful but might also crush the progress Monty has made. I don't know that Monty is the guy either but we already have him so let's ride one more season, maybe we trade for Hart's signing rights next year instead via PHI or wherever else he may end up.

The value would definitely favour MTL but I would want both for 5OA (plus maybe a little bit) to potentially solve two of our issues instead of just the one issue 5OA is potentially going to solve for us (Top Pair RD/Top Line RW/Top 6C/Franchise or at least Top End Goaltender). I really don't want to move that pick unless we get at least two mid 1sts in value for it, that pick is a potential superstar. That being said, I do not want to draft Michkov. There are plenty of potential superstars in this draft, I believe we are all but guarantied to select one.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 6:04 p.m.
EDIT:

Reinbacher, Leonard, Dvorsky... How is Hart and Tippet next year not better than one of those guys in 2-3 years?

Smith is also pretty lacklustre defensively, at least at this point. Leonard and Perreault are really good at covering for him, but he won't have that luxury in the NHL. If it's disqualifying for Michkov, is it not disqualifying for him as well?
Jun. 6, 2023 at 6:08 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
There's ways to acquire 1 or both of those guys without moving 5OA. Reinbacher fills a gaping organizational hole on RD, Leonard idk haven't spent very many moons evaluating him but he seems like a potent goal scorer, and Dvorsky should be picked in the 8-12 range imo (not top 5). Hart would be wonderful but might also crush the progress Monty has made. I don't know that Monty is the guy either but we already have him so let's ride one more season, maybe we trade for Hart's signing rights next year instead via PHI or wherever else he may end up.

The value would definitely favour MTL but I would want both for 5OA (plus maybe a little bit) to potentially solve two of our issues instead of just the one issue 5OA is potentially going to solve for us (Top Pair RD/Top Line RW/Top 6C/Franchise or at least Top End Goaltender). I really don't want to move that pick unless we get at least two mid 1sts in value for it, that pick is a potential superstar. That being said, I do not want to draft Michkov. There are plenty of potential superstars in this draft, I believe we are all but guarantied to select one.

It's interesting because HEOTP did an interview with McKeen's (that's the only scouting agency that had Seider ranked as high as he went) and they have categorically said that Reinbacher does not have the same ceiling as Seider and that they see him as a 3/4 defenseman.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 6:19 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: HabsCanucks
Smith is also pretty lacklustre defensively, at least at this point. Leonard and Perreault are really good at covering for him, but he won't have that luxury in the NHL. If it's disqualifying for Michkov, is it not disqualifying for him as well?

Great conversation topic! So I will say 3 things on that subject:

1) Kent Hughes used to coach Smith, so I give him carte blanche to draft him if he is sure (where as he can't even go see Michkov play with his own eyes)
2) It's like a 40 minute flight from Montreal to Boston. They can go see him every week. They can talk directly to him and his coaches. They have a lot more access to influence his development and by all accounts he's a great kid who is very coachable
3) The NCAA has a predictable record of producing well rounded players. Will Michkov play for SKA? Will Michkov play for Sochi? I very much doubt Michkov is coming over and will honor his contract if they want to send him to Laval because he's hurting the team with selfish play

Anyway, not my 1st choice. I see a chance that he becomes the next Nail Yakupov, and I think it's not worth the risk
HabsCanucks liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 6:46 p.m.
Great conversation topic! So I will say 3 things on that subject:

1) Kent Hughes used to coach Smith, so I give him carte blanche to draft him if he is sure (where as he can't even go see Michkov play with his own eyes)
2) It's like a 40 minute flight from Montreal to Boston. They can go see him every week. They can talk directly to him and his coaches. They have a lot more access to influence his development and by all accounts he's a great kid who is very coachable
3) The NCAA has a predictable record of producing well rounded players. Will Michkov play for SKA? Will Michkov play for Sochi? I very much doubt Michkov is coming over and will honor his contract if they want to send him to Laval because he's hurting the team with selfish play

Anyway, not my 1st choice. I see a chance that he becomes the next Nail Yakupov, and I think it's not worth the risk

Interesting, well that definitely makes more sense then. My thoughts on Smith are that if he's available, Hughes will be in the best position to know if the Habs should take him or not - as you say.
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 9:45 p.m.
guys this is the last time we will pick so high unless we win a longshot lottery so montreal will not trade the 5th pick for sure. they dont need a goalie while they are rebuilding they need to see what montembault can do and get some elite forward talent... lokk how Vegas is winning with any goalie in net.. we can find a stud later but we need elite forwards now and then time for them to develop. I know john you are just creating conversation and i am reacting too seriously... my nature i expect... it is fun to theorize but it is not even being considered...they want a stud forward and not a RD either need elite forwards.
jonh514 liked this.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 6:00 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: danielcoe
guys this is the last time we will pick so high unless we win a longshot lottery so montreal will not trade the 5th pick for sure. they dont need a goalie while they are rebuilding they need to see what montembault can do and get some elite forward talent... lokk how Vegas is winning with any goalie in net.. we can find a stud later but we need elite forwards now and then time for them to develop. I know john you are just creating conversation and i am reacting too seriously... my nature i expect... it is fun to theorize but it is not even being considered...they want a stud forward and not a RD either need elite forwards.

Ok but then who are you picking at 5OA?

People who actually scout in Europe do not think Reinbacher is a top pair RD. Habs eyes on the prize has interviewed 2 of them in the last month and both have said he shouldn't even be the 1st defender taken in this draft.

Leonard seems like a good scoring winger. But so is Tippet. Tippet was taken 10 OA. It took him a while to find his form, but his 27 goals playing for the Flyers last season was quite convincing. So maybe this is a bit off, but I am saying "there is not enough difference between Leonard and Tippet to not do this deal".

I cannot endorse drafting Michkov.

Everyone is so obsessed with "making the pick", but if you get players back that help you today and through the next 7-8 years, aren't you in as good or better of a position?
Jun. 7, 2023 at 7:25 a.m.
Ok but then who are you picking at 5OA?

People who actually scout in Europe do not think Reinbacher is a top pair RD. Habs eyes on the prize has interviewed 2 of them in the last month and both have said he shouldn't even be the 1st defender taken in this draft.

Leonard seems like a good scoring winger. But so is Tippet. Tippet was taken 10 OA. It took him a while to find his form, but his 27 goals playing for the Flyers last season was quite convincing. So maybe this is a bit off, but I am saying "there is not enough difference between Leonard and Tippet to not do this deal".

I cannot endorse drafting Michkov.

Everyone is so obsessed with "making the pick", but if you get players back that help you today and through the next 7-8 years, aren't you in as good or better of a position?

I like smith and i hope that Sjose takes the russian and we can get smith if not there arer several other good forwards like leonard or moore that the habs can help grow into a star player.... like michkov for wash as ovi will help get him over to USA
Jun. 7, 2023 at 7:27 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: danielcoe
I like smith and i hope that Sjose takes the russian and we can get smith if not there arer several other good forwards like leonard or moore that the habs can help grow into a star player.... like michkov for wash as ovi will help get him over to USA

You think Leonard or Moore is better than Tippet? Based on what analysis please?
Jun. 7, 2023 at 7:36 a.m.
why would the flyer move him if he is so good.... they willl build around him... the flyers want to move hayes Deangelo, and hart not their kids.... just dont imagine philly doing your trade... it is wishful on the montreal side and philly does not want to move that asset...it could happen but i think their emphasize is on moving out their veterans.

Also tippett has had only one good season and less than 48 points... my hope is that we can get someone with a higher ceiling than 50 to 60 points..

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll