Forums/Armchair-GM

Necas

Created by: A_SENSFAN2020
Team: 2023-24 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 7, 2023
Published: Jun. 7, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
*** saw a trade from a canes writer on Twitter with a trade very similar to this. I think many undervalue DeBrincat. If you watched the Sens this past year you know DeBrincat wasn’t used to his strengths at all by smith. A big factor as to why he wants out as well as wanting to play in the states. DeBrincat didn’t play with Norris or Stützle at all this past season. His line dumped and chased way too much for a skilled line. He was never fed on the power play. My point being that he will thrive given the right opportunity. Even though we didn’t use him to his strengths he still had a very respectable season for a guy a new team learning a new system. With Aho I truly believe he can score 40 with ease. The canes want a legitimate sniper. They get one with him. I think he would also take a bit of a pay cut to play with an organization with so much recent success.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
2$1,300,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,850,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Necas, Martin
  2. 2023 1st round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. DeBrincat, Alex [RFA Rights]
  2. 2024 4th round pick (TBL)
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (OTT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,500,000$82,149,047$0$1,850,000$1,350,953
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 5
$8,350,000$8,350,000
C
UFA - 8
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 2
$7,950,000$7,950,000
C
UFA - 7
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA - 1
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
RFA - 1
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$870,000$870,000
LW
UFA - 1
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD
UFA - 1
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
G
RFA - 1
$916,667$916,667
LD
RFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LD/RD, LW
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
LW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 7, 2023 at 9:04 p.m.
You realise Necas has more value than Cat right? He outproduced Cat, is under contract at a ridiculously low AAV, is an RFA on expiry, is younger... why is Carolina paying the 1st? You want Necas and a 1st, Tkachuk better be coming the other way. Not a DeBrincat with diminished value
Jun. 7, 2023 at 9:09 p.m.
Hockey 1st Sens 2nd
CAR won't touch that and spending nearly $5M on Max Domi before you address goaltending... Yikes. NO.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:04 p.m.
A Sens Fan
Quoting: Caniac2000
You realise Necas has more value than Cat right? He outproduced Cat, is under contract at a ridiculously low AAV, is an RFA on expiry, is younger... why is Carolina paying the 1st? You want Necas and a 1st, Tkachuk better be coming the other way. Not a DeBrincat with diminished value

I saw a canes fan propose a trade like this. Which gave me the idea. It was something like DeBrincat+ Brannstrom for necas, Suzuki and the 1st.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:07 p.m.
A Sens Fan
Quoting: TCMonkey
CAR won't touch that and spending nearly $5M on Max Domi before you address goaltending... Yikes. NO.

[

I have no idea what Carolina is doing. Like I said to a canes fan that responded I saw this idea from a canes fan on Twitter. I think they want a legitimate sniper from what I’ve read. I personally don’t want to spend big bucks on a goalie. So damn unpredictable. Look at Gus. I’d much rather add more depth in case of an injury. Domi is very versatile. I trust Forsberg and Sogaard with our d-core improving since the beginning of last season.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:08 p.m.
Quoting: Tchuckycheese
ok xD

Contracts matter.

Necas outscored DeBrincat this past season and is signed next season for $3M. He’ll be RFA after that.

DeBrincat has no contract and will be looking for his $9M QO or likely $8M+ on his deal.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:10 p.m.
A Sens Fan

Also that Tkachuk take is brutal. You have to realize that his value is still very high. Anyone that is trading for him scouted him last year and most likely realized that our dumb coach didn’t use him to his potential at all. Your team is trading for a proven 35-40 goal scorer. Necas had a great season but will he replicate it? DeBrincat had 66 points while dumping the puck 70% of the time. He will certainly thrive elsewhere.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
Quoting: A_SENSFAN2020
I saw a canes fan propose a trade like this. Which gave me the idea. It was something like DeBrincat+ Brannstrom for necas, Suzuki and the 1st.

That's still an easy pass. Necas has more value than Cat. Brannstrom isn't worth Suzuki and the 1st. This is a ridiculous overpay. If you drop Suzuki and the 1st, it's closer.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:13 p.m.
A Sens Fan
That's still an easy pass. Necas has more value than Cat. Brannstrom isn't worth Suzuki and the 1st. This is a ridiculous overpay. If you drop Suzuki and the 1st, it's closer.

You’re entitled to what you believe but you are really underestimating how much a 25 year old DeBrincat is worth. If you didn’t watch the Sens I don’t expect you to understand. I’m telling you now we didn’t use him well at all. Never fed him on the PP. played with Stützle for like 8 minutes all year and didn’t have Norris at all. His line dumped the puck all the time. If a team is trading for him they know they can get way more out of him. I guarantee that was that fans thought process.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:14 p.m.
Also that Tkachuk take is brutal. You have to realize that his value is still very high. Anyone that is trading for him scouted him last year and most likely realized that our dumb coach didn’t use him to his potential at all. Your team is trading for a proven 35-40 goal scorer. Necas had a great season but will he replicate it? DeBrincat had 66 points while dumping the puck 70% of the time. He will certainly thrive elsewhere.

Tkachuk was more of an example than a statement, but if you want to go that route, I can apply the same logic to Norris. His best season only saw him collect 50 points. Yet, Ottawa fans are hailing him as a genuine top 6 C despite never having the production levels to prove it. Necas breaks the 70 point mark and that and a 1st shouldn't a enough for a PPG winger? Stop it.

As for the DeBrincat take, I'd argue that isn't not DJ Smith that's responsible for his down year, it's not having Kane. His production dropped in Chicago too when he was taken away from one of the best players of that generation. Sure DJ Smith didn't help, but I'd argue it's not the root cause, and I saw enough Sens games to be confident enough saying that
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:16 p.m.
You’re entitled to what you believe but you are really underestimating how much a 25 year old DeBrincat is worth. If you didn’t watch the Sens I don’t expect you to understand. I’m telling you now we didn’t use him well at all. Never fed him on the PP. played with Stützle for like 8 minutes all year and didn’t have Norris at all. His line dumped the puck all the time. If a team is trading for him they know they can get way more out of him. I guarantee that was that fans thought process.

Okay? But you don't pay for what you can get from a 25 year old with the exception of long term certainty. They're not developing players at that age. A 24 year old Necas is worth more than Cat. Necas' season is easily comparable to Cat's best years in Chicago. Yet you're trying to downplay that...
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:22 p.m.
A Sens Fan
Okay? But you don't pay for what you can get from a 25 year old with the exception of long term certainty. They're not developing players at that age. A 24 year old Necas is worth more than Cat. Necas' season is easily comparable to Cat's best years in Chicago. Yet you're trying to downplay that...

I’m really not. Like I said I found this idea on Twitter. I obviously haven’t thought the trade through as thoroughly as you have. But the canes need a legitimate sniper. I probably should have added Lassi Thomson to the deal as well. But I really think the canes would consider something similar to this if they are truly looking for a sniper. I really think DeBrincat would also take a pay cut to play for a team that has gotten close to winning it all. DrBrincat-Aho-Svechnikov would be crazy. I honestly think DeBrincat would score 50 at least once if paired with them.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:24 p.m.
A Sens Fan

Also might be worth mentioning that DeBrincat has missed only four games over the past three seasons. With Pacioretty being out most of the year a guy like DeBrincat in that slot might have pushed y’all over the panthers. Obviously him and Svechnikov bring out really hurt but having someone you know will play 80 games is definitely something
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:28 p.m.
Canes pass. Necas scored more in a more defensive system. Cat isn’t reaching 40 goals here having to actual play defense (which he didn’t do in Columbus). He kind of played defense in Ottawa and his goals already dropped
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:29 p.m.
Lets Get Kraken
[

I have no idea what Carolina is doing. Like I said to a canes fan that responded I saw this idea from a canes fan on Twitter. I think they want a legitimate sniper from what I’ve read. I personally don’t want to spend big bucks on a goalie. So damn unpredictable. Look at Gus. I’d much rather add more depth in case of an injury. Domi is very versatile. I trust Forsberg and Sogaard with our d-core improving since the beginning of last season.

Ok, this is another reason not to trust the idiots that charitably donate their foolish ideologies on Twitter of all places. I know you have already heard all the reasons as to why Necas straight up holds more value than ADB at this point, so I won’t bore you by sounding like a broken record here.

That being said, Ottawa is going to find it very hard to even get a return investment. And you can forget about getting a net positive return, since it won’t happen without a lot of blackmail. I mean, Ottawa is on the doomsday clock with ADB. They have until the end of the first round of the draft to move him, or else the risk of losing him for even less than whatever offers they had, to even nothing, becomes a lot higher. I get the risk of an offer sheet is low, but if that deadline comes to pass, and ADB is still with Ottawa after the first round, I would imagine a bunch of the league starts thinking offer sheet. A 1 year deal, lower than the 6.1mil that would net a 1st and 3rd, with the picks being in 2024? And Ottawa’s choice then would be to take the underpayment or lose ADB for nothing. Just a hypothetical scenario that I think could realistically happen, but I will just leave it at the clock is ticking.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:40 p.m.
A Sens Fan
Quoting: evelutions2
Ok, this is another reason not to trust the idiots that charitably donate their foolish ideologies on Twitter of all places. I know you have already heard all the reasons as to why Necas straight up holds more value than ADB at this point, so I won’t bore you by sounding like a broken record here.

That being said, Ottawa is going to find it very hard to even get a return investment. And you can forget about getting a net positive return, since it won’t happen without a lot of blackmail. I mean, Ottawa is on the doomsday clock with ADB. They have until the end of the first round of the draft to move him, or else the risk of losing him for even less than whatever offers they had, to even nothing, becomes a lot higher. I get the risk of an offer sheet is low, but if that deadline comes to pass, and ADB is still with Ottawa after the first round, I would imagine a bunch of the league starts thinking offer sheet. A 1 year deal, lower than the 6.1mil that would net a 1st and 3rd, with the picks being in 2024? And Ottawa’s choice then would be to take the underpayment or lose ADB for nothing. Just a hypothetical scenario that I think could realistically happen, but I will just leave it at the clock is ticking.

Many teams are interested we could absolutely get a decent return. We can’t act like there aren’t a plethora of teams that wouldn’t want a 25 year old sniper that had a “down year” because an AHL head coach was behind the bench. He submitted a 10 team trade list. Dorion has 10 teams to work with. We will 100% get a good return. Of course you could make up all those possible scenarios about an offer sheet but from my understanding DeBrincat would be happy to sign longterm with any of the given teams on his list. It’s also worth mentioning that this years UFA class is weak. Teams will be looking to trade for a star like DeBrincat as they won’t find that level of offence anywhere in free agency this year. People really need to reevaluate how much a 25 year old past 40 goal scorer is worth imo.
Jun. 8, 2023 at 8:50 a.m.
Tkachuk was more of an example than a statement, but if you want to go that route, I can apply the same logic to Norris. His best season only saw him collect 50 points. Yet, Ottawa fans are hailing him as a genuine top 6 C despite never having the production levels to prove it. Necas breaks the 70 point mark and that and a 1st shouldn't a enough for a PPG winger? Stop it.

As for the DeBrincat take, I'd argue that isn't not DJ Smith that's responsible for his down year, it's not having Kane. His production dropped in Chicago too when he was taken away from one of the best players of that generation. Sure DJ Smith didn't help, but I'd argue it's not the root cause, and I saw enough Sens games to be confident enough saying that

kanes production cratered this season and Cat was shooting almost 5% below his career average, your arguments are invalid
Jun. 8, 2023 at 8:51 a.m.
CAR is not going to trade Necas for Cat, Jarvis yes but not Necas
Jun. 8, 2023 at 10:46 a.m.
I’m really not. Like I said I found this idea on Twitter. I obviously haven’t thought the trade through as thoroughly as you have. But the canes need a legitimate sniper. I probably should have added Lassi Thomson to the deal as well. But I really think the canes would consider something similar to this if they are truly looking for a sniper. I really think DeBrincat would also take a pay cut to play for a team that has gotten close to winning it all. DrBrincat-Aho-Svechnikov would be crazy. I honestly think DeBrincat would score 50 at least once if paired with them.

I'd argue even with Thomson, this is still a pass. A deal around Necas for Cat makes no sense for Carolina when Necas is the much more valuable piece. Cat is a nice player and would help a ton, but not for the better player. Carolina needs more top six scoring, not to downgrade, which is effectively what this is based on last season.

Svechnikov can't play right wing, he tried, no. Teuvo would probably be the obvious RW1 shout, or Jarvis. Or, the best fit.... Necas when they don't trade him for Cat
Jun. 8, 2023 at 10:47 a.m.
Also might be worth mentioning that DeBrincat has missed only four games over the past three seasons. With Pacioretty being out most of the year a guy like DeBrincat in that slot might have pushed y’all over the panthers. Obviously him and Svechnikov bring out really hurt but having someone you know will play 80 games is definitely something

Cat's health is impressive, but Carolina get past the Panthers if Svechnikov is healthy, forget Max. Plus, the Canes got paid to take Max on, so it's just a bonus at this point. Svechnikov had a once in a career injury. You can't expect that. He's never dealt with major injuries before. That type of thing, hit a rut in the ice and tear the ACL, is as likely to happen to Cat as it was to Svechnikov
Jun. 8, 2023 at 10:49 a.m.
Quoting: athrin
kanes production cratered this season and Cat was shooting almost 5% below his career average, your arguments are invalid

That's called being 38. Kane's decline was age and also being on a DOG Chicago team. He was still Kane in terms of his underlyings, but Cat did regress. Specifically, defensively. Not to mention, Kane had a hip issue all year.
Jun. 8, 2023 at 11:29 a.m.
That's called being 38. Kane's decline was age and also being on a DOG Chicago team. He was still Kane in terms of his underlyings, but Cat did regress. Specifically, defensively. Not to mention, Kane had a hip issue all year.

rofl even Bergeron would suck defensively under dj smith, he does not even know what the word defense is or means
Jun. 8, 2023 at 12:06 p.m.
rofl even Bergeron would suck defensively under dj smith, he does not even know what the word defense is or means

Funny you say that, B Tkachuk is actually solid analytically defensively. It's not a team thing, a lot of the team are at least average defensively. There's some that are just under average (Norris is a good example) but Cat is just... he's not McDavid or Draisaitl levels of defensively bad, but he's not even pretending to be average
Jun. 8, 2023 at 12:12 p.m.
Funny you say that, B Tkachuk is actually solid analytically defensively. It's not a team thing, a lot of the team are at least average defensively. There's some that are just under average (Norris is a good example) but Cat is just... he's not McDavid or Draisaitl levels of defensively bad, but he's not even pretending to be average

your making a fool out of yourself by saying OTT was anything but crap defensively, even non-hockey people can see OTT had no defensive system or played any kind of defense under smith.

and BTW there is a saying in hockey, defense can be taught, offense cannot.
Jun. 8, 2023 at 12:12 p.m.
CAR is not going to trade Necas for Cat, Jarvis yes but not Necas

Jarvis is just as much of a no too
Jun. 8, 2023 at 12:13 p.m.
your making a fool out of yourself by saying OTT was anything but crap defensively, even non-hockey people can see OTT had no defensive system or played any kind of defense under smith.

and BTW there is a saying in hockey, defense can be taught, offense cannot.

Sadly it was still more defense than he played in Chicago. He wasn’t free to fly the zone any chance he got and had to at least float around in the D zone

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll