Forums/Armchair-GM

Brad treveling 2023 off-season

Created by: Leafs4life2323
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 8, 2023
Published: Jun. 8, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Should I be starting kampf or holmberg on the 4th line?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,300,000
3$4,300,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,600,000
1$950,000
3$1,800,000
2$3,800,000
3$3,500,000
3$980,000
3$875,000
3$1,800,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Jarvis, Seth
  2. Kotkaniemi, Jesperi
  3. 2023 6th round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. Marner, Mitchell
  2. Niemelä, Topi
  3. 2023 1st round pick (BOS)
TOR
  1. 2023 5th round pick (OTT)
  2. 2023 7th round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Brodie, TJ ($2,500,000 retained)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
26$83,500,000$81,947,617$0$500,000$1,552,383
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 1
$3,800,000$3,800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,820,000$4,820,000
C
UFA - 7
$950,000$950,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$1,600,000$1,600,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RD
UFA - 3
$4,300,000$4,300,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$980,000$980,000
LD
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
UFA
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 8, 2023 at 7:28 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
You really don't understand hockey.

The leafs play a puck possession system. Not an offence first system. Hence why they are top 10 in goals against.

Marner is one of the top playmakers in the world. Put him on Carolina and Svechnikov would be a 50 goal scorer and your team defence would improve a great deal. Because you would also be getting a selke finalist. You are very clearly just one of those fans that hate TO more than you like your own team. No rational conversations can take place with people like you.

"Carolina and Svechnikov would be a 50 goal scorer and your team defence would improve a great deal"... I have severe doubts about that considering I don't think that Svech has the kind of shooting talent that gets you fifty-goal seasons

Fair enough about the point about goals against average
I was just saying that your system generally favors a lot more offensive risk than the Hurricanes system does
I'm not saying that Marner isn't a great player... I'm just saying it's too much risk for my blood to give up two top-six players especially one who can be a 70-80 point guy
Jun. 8, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
Are you forgetting Theodore and Pietrangelo?

Quoting: Newtown
Does Alex Petrangelo exist in your world?

Yah... I wrote it down wrong

I still think that Slavin and Burns is a better combination than Theodore and Pietrangelo... a guy who put up 18 goals and a guy who is one of the best shutdown defenders
Jun. 8, 2023 at 7:32 p.m.
Birddog
Quoting: seanrushton

I still think that Slavin and Burns is a better combination than Theodore and Pietrangelo

Martinez plays with Petrangelo.
Jun. 8, 2023 at 7:35 p.m.
Martinez plays with Petrangelo.

Okay, but my point still stands... Slavin + Burns > Martinez and Petrangelo
Jun. 8, 2023 at 7:43 p.m.
Birddog
Okay, but my point still stands... Slavin + Burns > Martinez and Petrangelo

Petrangelo is as good as Slavin
Theodore is as good as 38 year old Burns

I take any of Martinez, Hague, Whitecloud or McNabb over Gostisbehere or Chatfield.
Jun. 8, 2023 at 7:53 p.m.
Rip
"Carolina and Svechnikov would be a 50 goal scorer and your team defence would improve a great deal"... I have severe doubts about that considering I don't think that Svech has the kind of shooting talent that gets you fifty-goal seasons

Fair enough about the point about goals against average
I was just saying that your system generally favors a lot more offensive risk than the Hurricanes system does
I'm not saying that Marner isn't a great player... I'm just saying it's too much risk for my blood to give up two top-six players especially one who can be a 70-80 point guy

You just don't want to even know how TO plays. They don't take loads of risk or play run and gun. They play a strong structured game that emphasizes on keeping possession of the puck and being in the right position defensively. The notion that TO sucks defensively is blatantly wrong and yet 90% of fans on this site still think TO is bottom 10 defensively when they have been top 10 for 2 straight years. Their offence has dropped because they focus on defence way more.

Carolina plays a much different offensive system, (I don't even know what to call it) where they fire pucks at the net from everywhere and hope they can get rebounds. It's not a great plan but their defensive zone coverage is very strong. Not the best but very strong. You definitely could use a lot more skill up front but a system that emphasizes shot selection over quantity would be wise.

I would say that Carolina plays more run and gun than TO does.
Jun. 8, 2023 at 7:54 p.m.

I take any of Martinez, Hague, Whitecloud or McNabb over Gostisbehere or Chatfield.

Will take Gostisbehere or Chatfield over that third pairing of Vegas any day of the week... A very good offensive defensemen and A very good defensive defensemen though I can see the argument for the third pairing of Vegas as being better.
I think that the second pairing is a wash tbh... I could go either way
I mean Slavin and Burns are generally recognized to be one of if not the best pair in the league and I never hear Theodore/Petrangelo pairing mentioned in that conversation
Jun. 8, 2023 at 7:57 p.m.
You just don't want to even know how TO plays. They don't take loads of risk or play run and gun. They play a strong structured game that emphasizes on keeping possession of the puck and being in the right position defensively. The notion that TO sucks defensively is blatantly wrong and yet 90% of fans on this site still think TO is bottom 10 defensively when they have been top 10 for 2 straight years. Their offence has dropped because they focus on defence way more.

Carolina plays a much different offensive system, (I don't even know what to call it) where they fire pucks at the net from everywhere and hope they can get rebounds. It's not a great plan but their defensive zone coverage is very strong. Not the best but very strong. You definitely could use a lot more skill up front but a system that emphasizes shot selection over quantity would be wise.

I would say that Carolina plays more run and gun than TO does.

You definitely could use a lot more skill up front but a system that emphasizes shot selection over quantity would be wise... I agree with that assessment which is why I want them to get rid of their offensive assistant coach
They don't take loads of risk or play run and gun... That totally might be true but mostly watch them during the playoffs and when they play the Hurricanes and it seems a lot more run and gun than the hurricane's system and that might because of the speed
The notion that TO sucks defensively is blatantly wrong and yet 90% of fans on this site still think TO is bottom 10 defensively when they have been top 10 for 2 straight years... I think they get overshadowed by their offense and I admit that I'm guilty of that mindset
Jun. 8, 2023 at 7:57 p.m.
Rip

I still think that Slavin and Burns is a better combination than Theodore and Pietrangelo... a guy who put up 18 goals and a guy who is one of the best shutdown defenders

Pietrangelo is one of the best defenceman in the league. He's also won the cup. While I very much like Slavin, everyone would likely take Pietrangelo over Slavin. And everyone would take Theodore over Burns. Pesce is a good player but he doesn't move the needle for me. He's the same as Parayko. He's really good on the 2nd pair or if he's with a Norris calibre linemate but his next contract will be a bad one. Someone is going to pay him like he's a top pair defender and he'll flounder because he isn't. The rest of your defence is fine but benefit greatly due to the overall team system Carolina employs.
Jun. 8, 2023 at 7:58 p.m.
Rip

Burns and Gostisbhere are two of the riskiest players on the planet. This guy doesn't know how hockey is played.
Jun. 8, 2023 at 8:01 p.m.
Pietrangelo is one of the best defenceman in the league. He's also won the cup. While I very much like Slavin, everyone would likely take Pietrangelo over Slavin. And everyone would take Theodore over Burns. Pesce is a good player but he doesn't move the needle for me. He's the same as Parayko. He's really good on the 2nd pair or if he's with a Norris calibre linemate but his next contract will be a bad one. Someone is going to pay him like he's a top pair defender and he'll flounder because he isn't. The rest of your defence is fine but benefit greatly due to the overall team system Carolina employs.

Genuine question... If Pietrangelo is better than Slavin then why is Slavin been higher in Norris voting each of the last three years?
I think Theodore and Burns is a wash
I think it's more the defensemen that make the system work than the system that prop up the D-Men
Jun. 8, 2023 at 8:02 p.m.
Burns and Gostisbhere are two of the riskiest players on the planet. This guy doesn't know how hockey is played.

Burns is the only one on either of the teams who's won a Norris and he's pretty consistent and I agree Gostisbhere is a very risky guy which is why I've been pretty hesistant about bringing him back... I'd rather go out and try and get somebody different... A Radko Gudas or Marc Staal comes to mind
Jun. 8, 2023 at 8:07 p.m.
Birddog
Will take Gostisbehere or Chatfield over that third pairing of Vegas any day of the week... A very good offensive defensemen and A very good defensive defensemen though I can see the argument for the third pairing of Vegas as being better.
I think that the second pairing is a wash tbh... I could go either way
I mean Slavin and Burns are generally recognized to be one of if not the best pair in the league and I never hear Theodore/Petrangelo pairing mentioned in that conversation

That’s because they aren’t a pair. But you do here them being mentioned as two of the best Dmen in the league.
Jun. 8, 2023 at 8:09 p.m.
That’s because they aren’t a pair. But you do here them being mentioned as two of the best Dmen in the league.

Okay fair enough... But do you really think that there is a better defensive pair on the Knights better than Slavin/Burns
Jun. 8, 2023 at 8:22 p.m.
Birddog
Okay fair enough... But do you really think that there is a better defensive pair on the Knights better than Slavin/Burns

No.
Jun. 8, 2023 at 8:28 p.m.
No.

Exactly... And the Hurricanes were 2nd in team GAA compared to the Golden Knight's 11th... while the Hurricanes were getting average goaltending... I don't the gap is huge between the Hurricanes and Knights's defense but I do think that the Hurricane's defense core is a little better
Jun. 8, 2023 at 9:53 p.m.
Rip
Genuine question... If Pietrangelo is better than Slavin then why is Slavin been higher in Norris voting each of the last three years?
I think Theodore and Burns is a wash
I think it's more the defensemen that make the system work than the system that prop up the D-Men

I really like Slavin, I'll call it a wash. Burns though is super risky and not great in his zone.
Jun. 8, 2023 at 11:07 p.m.
Birddog
Exactly... And the Hurricanes were 2nd in team GAA compared to the Golden Knight's 11th... while the Hurricanes were getting average goaltending... I don't the gap is huge between the Hurricanes and Knights's defense but I do think that the Hurricane's defense core is a little better

And what’s happening right now? How’s Florida’s offence? During the season Theodore and others dealt with injuries and the Golden nights had injuries to three goalies. Congrats, I think Slavin/Burns is a better top pairing, but top to bottom I’m taking Vegas’ six over Carolina’s six if I’m building a team and if I want to win tonight.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 9:12 a.m.
And what’s happening right now? How’s Florida’s offence? During the season Theodore and others dealt with injuries and the Golden nights had injuries to three goalies. Congrats, I think Slavin/Burns is a better top pairing, but top to bottom I’m taking Vegas’ six over Carolina’s six if I’m building a team and if I want to win tonight.

A three-game sample shouldn't really be used to determine who's a better defensive group. The Hurricane's defensemen also put up almost 60 goals as a group and allowed one of the lowest xGAA and GAA of any team not named Boston. I get your injury argument and maybe that might move them up a few spots in terms of GAA rankings but it wouldn't have them leapfrog the Hurricanes and it wouldn't make up for the difference in offensive production from the Hurricanes d-core. Individually the players might be better on Vegas but the sum of the hurricane's d-core parts is greater than the sum of Vegas's d-core parts.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:19 a.m.
Birddog
A three-game sample shouldn't really be used to determine who's a better defensive group. The Hurricane's defensemen also put up almost 60 goals as a group and allowed one of the lowest xGAA and GAA of any team not named Boston. I get your injury argument and maybe that might move them up a few spots in terms of GAA rankings but it wouldn't have them leapfrog the Hurricanes and it wouldn't make up for the difference in offensive production from the Hurricanes d-core. Individually the players might be better on Vegas but the sum of the hurricane's d-core parts is greater than the sum of Vegas's d-core parts.

As a group I like the better. As a team, forwards and system, taken into consideration, Carolina is better defensively. Carolina as a team plays the most aggressive man on man in the league. They have the best gaps in the league. Brindamour is a great defensive coach. He demands a lot from his players and has the respect to make it happen.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:23 a.m.
As a group I like the better. As a team, forwards and system, taken into consideration, Carolina is better defensively. Carolina as a team plays the most aggressive man on man in the league. They have the best gaps in the league. Brindamour is a great defensive coach. He demands a lot from his players and has the respect to make it happen.

I can totally see why people might think Vegas is better. Brind'Amour is one the best coaches in the league no doubt and the Hurricanes do play a more defensive-minded system than pretty much any other team... I can also see why that and the lack of brand names might affect the perception of the Hurricanes as a team... The Hurricanes aren't the flashiest team but they are one of the most fundamentally sound
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:36 a.m.
Birddog
I can totally see why people might think Vegas is better. Brind'Amour is one the best coaches in the league no doubt and the Hurricanes do play a more defensive-minded system than pretty much any other team... I can also see why that and the lack of brand names might affect the perception of the Hurricanes as a team... The Hurricanes aren't the flashiest team but they are one of the most fundamentally sound

Carolina was missing a couple key forwards that really hurt their chances. They lack scoring depth. And yes, Slavin/Burns is a great pairing, and that second pairing is very good - but I would take Vegas’ bottom couple over Carolina and due to Burns age would take there group if I was building a team. When Svech is healthy and Carolina adds another top 6 player or two with all that cap they are going to be formidable next year.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:39 a.m.
Carolina was missing a couple key forwards that really hurt their chances. They lack scoring depth. And yes, Slavin/Burns is a great pairing, and that second pairing is very good - but I would take Vegas’ bottom couple over Carolina and due to Burns age would take there group if I was building a team. When Svech is healthy and Carolina adds another top 6 player or two with all that cap they are going to be formidable next year.

I would agree that if I was building a team I would take Vegas d-core but for a win-now team I think the Hurricanes is better considering that Burns is still playing at a very good level... I hope the Hurricanes go after Keller or DeBrincat
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:49 a.m.
Birddog
I would agree that if I was building a team I would take Vegas d-core but for a win-now team I think the Hurricanes is better considering that Burns is still playing at a very good level... I hope the Hurricanes go after Keller or DeBrincat

Keller will be expensive but Debrincat would be a good fit. Debrincat is a shooter, he needs PP1 time to produce. He didn’t get that early in his Ottawa stint. But that should be available in Carolina. They don’t really have anyone cemented as a shooter on the left wall on the PP. Someone suggested Washington for him and to me that is the worst destination. He’s never going to see time on the left wall with Ovi playing there. If you don’t have a spot on the left wall for him on PP1, spend your money on someone else. 8 million over 8 years is a lot of coin.
seanrushton liked this.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 10:51 a.m.
Keller will be expensive but Debrincat would be a good fit. Debrincat is a shooter, he needs PP1 time to produce. He didn’t get that early in his Ottawa stint. But that should be available in Carolina. They don’t really have anyone cemented as a shooter on the left wall on the PP. Someone suggested Washington for him and to me that is the worst destination. He’s never going to see time on the left wall with Ovi playing there. If you don’t have a spot on the left wall for him on PP1, spend your money on someone else. 8 million over 8 years is a lot of coin.

We have the cap space for an $8x8 especially if we send Tuevo to Ottawa. I mean we've needed a forward who's very good on the power play for the past two or three years so maybe DeBrincat is the answer to that problem

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll