SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(EDM / NYI) - Strome for Eberle

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 22, 2017 at 12:31 p.m.
A trade between Edmonton Oilers and New York Islanders has been confirmed.
Trade Details
Edmonton Oilers Acquire:
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
Ryan Strome · $2,500,000$2,500,000$3,000,000
Sum: $2,500,000$2,500,000$3,000,000
Change: -$3,500,000
Change: -$3,500,000
Change: -$3,000,000
New York Islanders Acquire:
Logo of the New York Islanders
Jordan Eberle · $6,000,000$6,000,000$6,000,000
Sum: $6,000,000$6,000,000$6,000,000
Change: +$3,500,000
Change: +$3,500,000
Change: +$3,000,000
Jun. 22, 2017 at 12:33 p.m.
The Oilers have acquired forward Ryan Strome from the NYIslanders in exchange for forward Jordan Eberle.
Daoloth liked this.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 12:44 p.m.
Pens Fan
Quoting: PrisonBull
The Oilers have acquired forward Ryan Strome from the NYIslanders in exchange for forward Jordan Eberle.

Didn't notice...
DragonRaptorHybrid, Caufzi, PrincessChloe and 11 others liked this.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 12:45 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Strome is younger and cheaper, smart play by Edmonton to clear cap space and get a valuable asset with potential. Makes sense for NYI to as Eberle should mix well with Tavares, also Strome was never fitting in to well with NYI so smart play for both teams!
Hawkisles and HarryleftNut liked this.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 12:46 p.m.
NYI won the deal, but not by all that much. Strome was already beginning to rebound under Weight and Strome is 3 years younger than Eberle. EDM also clears cap space for another possible trade or FA signing (many would sign with any team with McDavid on the roster).

Both sides walk away happy.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 1:14 p.m.
Quoting: Hawkisles
NYI won the deal, but not by all that much. Strome was already beginning to rebound under Weight and Strome is 3 years younger than Eberle. EDM also clears cap space for another possible trade or FA signing (many would sign with any team with McDavid on the roster).

Oilers fans won't be happy. Chiarelli should have gotten a pick at least.

Snow really has this guy's number, doesn't he?
yamahut and ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 1:14 p.m.
Quoting: PrisonBull

That is great for the Islanders it looked like Strome had lost steam declining not improving... Look how good it worked out for Devils trading for Hall only to get the NHL to ward them 1st overall pick for helping Oilers wink. I'm real happy for Islanders, Eberle is good for 20-30+ goals, whose size is more fit for Eastern Conference over Western. I'm glad Kings, Vegas, teams in west wont have to deal with facing Eberle anymore... Real changing of guard for Oilers when Hall/Eberle were part of their core. He had a bit of a rough post season which made him easier to obtain which I'm shocked Islanders got him for so little... Their chance to make the Playoffs again just increased 10-20%. Last time they were there Strome was a healthy scratch in a few games showing how they soured on him.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 1:16 p.m.
EDM
Edited Jun. 22, 2017 at 1:22 p.m.
Wtf was the point of this. Strome will play one year on McDavid's or Draisaitl's wing, get 60 points and expect Eberle money.

As an Oilers fan I'm disappointed. Not even a damned pick with Strome.

The Oilers everyone, come get what you want 50% off.
Daoloth and shabbaranks liked this.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 1:23 p.m.
Quoting: yamahut
Wtf was the point of this. Strome will play one year on McDavid's or Draisaitl's wing, get 60 points and expect Eberle money.

Strome likely will take a discount to play with McDavid. I'd rather make 4m on McDavid's wing and be in Cup Contention for the rest of my career than make 6m on, i dunno, San Jose.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 1:32 p.m.
EDM

Strome likely will take a discount to play with McDavid. I'd rather make 4m on McDavid's wing and be in Cup Contention for the rest of my career than make 6m on, i dunno, San Jose.

Hopefully, maybe. Yakupov looked real good on McDavid's wing too though. Nice chirp at San Jose btw
Jun. 22, 2017 at 1:33 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Good deal for both teams i think. For the first time EVER, Garth Snow made a good trade. It's hard to believe he did that. EDM wins this trade though too i think. Good deal for both teams.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 2:24 p.m.
Isles For Life
YES. Thank you my Isles! THANK YOU!!! I'll definetly miss the only Strome that isn't overrated, but hell, we're talking about a bonafied 20 goal scorer here. "Oh but he was on da same line as connor mcjesus!!!" Yeah, well guess what line he's gonna be on now? The same ******* line as Tavares and Ladd!! I love this trade. I ADORE IT!
Daoloth liked this.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 2:30 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: StLouisIsTerrible
YES. Thank you my Isles! THANK YOU!!! I'll definetly miss the only Strome that isn't overrated, but hell, we're talking about a bonafied 20 goal scorer here. "Oh but he was on da same line as connor mcjesus!!!" Yeah, well guess what line he's gonna be on now? The same ******* line as Tavares and Ladd!! I love this trade. I ADORE IT!

wow
Jun. 22, 2017 at 2:34 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Good deal for both teams i think. For the first time EVER, Garth Snow made a good trade. It's hard to believe he did that. EDM wins this trade though too i think. Good deal for both teams.

Garth won the Leddy and Boychuk trades much bigger in my opinion. This trade was a nice one, but it wasn't straight up larceny like the Leddy and Boychuk trades.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 2:38 p.m.
Quoting: CD282

Fans don't always know better. If NYI fans got their way, Garth would've have been fired (fired, hired, then fired again for good measure) and none of this would have happened. Now Isles fans are starting a Super PAC for Garth Snow's 2020 presidential bid.

I have to think EDM management knows what they're doing here. Best case scenario, they got someone who will produce at Eberle levels on McDavid's or Draisaitl's wing (Strome has before, though not as frequently as Eberle). Worst case scenario, they cleared 3.5m in cap space and still have a solid 3rd line Center for when they move Nugent-Hopkins (they will, they have to).
Jun. 22, 2017 at 2:52 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: CD282

Fans don't always know better. If NYI fans got their way, Garth would've have been fired (fired, hired, then fired again for good measure) and none of this would have happened. Now Isles fans are starting a Super PAC for Garth Snow's 2020 presidential bid.

I have to think EDM management knows what they're doing here. Best case scenario, they got someone who will produce at Eberle levels on McDavid's or Draisaitl's wing (Strome has before, though not as frequently as Eberle). Worst case scenario, they cleared 3.5m in cap space and still have a solid 3rd line Center for when they move Nugent-Hopkins (they will, they have to).

I see them giving Nuge one more chance. (One more bad season and he's done).
Jun. 22, 2017 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: DarylthePony

Oh, I don't think Nuge is a bad forward at all. I just think he needs to be traded due to his cap hit. Unless the Oilers decide to make Drasaitl a dedicated winger for the season, Nuge likely ends up as a 3rd line Center. If your 3rd line Center is making 6m, that's a problem from a salary cap perspective.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 4:46 p.m.
get ur corsi up

Oh, I don't think Nuge is a bad forward at all. I just think he needs to be traded due to his cap hit. Unless the Oilers decide to make Drasaitl a dedicated winger for the season, Nuge likely ends up as a 3rd line Center. If your 3rd line Center is making 6m, that's a problem from a salary cap perspective.

I guess that makes sense.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 5:10 p.m.
NateElder12
Haha wow. EDM should stick to not training. Spare me the three year age difference and potential. Strome is basically done developing he's going to go ride McDavids coattail and somehow EDM will think they won this deal like the Larson/Hall
Jun. 22, 2017 at 5:49 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: NateElder12
Haha wow. EDM should stick to not training. Spare me the three year age difference and potential. Strome is basically done developing he's going to go ride McDavids coattail and somehow EDM will think they won this deal like the Larson/Hall

Strome's still capable of a breakout. EDM will revive him.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 6:03 p.m.
Once again like the hall trade, though they got what they needed they didn't get enough back
yamahut liked this.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 8:36 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: Sahil2020
Once again like the hall trade, though they got what they needed they didn't get enough back

They got cap space, and a young player with potential. EDM just glad to have Eberle's 6 million gone out the window.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 9:21 p.m.
Quoting: NateElder12

Strome's still capable of a breakout. EDM will revive him.

You probably wont be able to afford keeping Strome whose cap hit is likely 3-5M especially if he does well. You need money to keep Leon, resign McDavid, not to mention guys like Nurse among others... Talbot has a year left at 4.1M cap hit if plays like did last year he will eventually cost more. So could be like 12-16M just to keep McDavid, Leon, Nurse likely least 1M+ even under the cheapest scenario... backup goalie might be adding to cost this season depending what they do. Talbot will probably be least 5M or more in cap hit to keep around, Lucic has a 6M hit for a good while. Strome is RFA so least they will get some compensation even if they don't keep him around. Maybe Pouliout is gone after this season to free up 4M to help retain Strome if that is the plan. Fayne think shows up as a buried contract so that will be gone, depends how much costs to keep/field a defense what happens too. IF read things right looks like they free up 4.6M in dead cap space after this season to help them in 2018-19. Nugent is only 24 so its funny how everybody wants to give up or trade him smile.
Jun. 23, 2017 at 7:29 p.m.
Right now I say it's a win-win for both teams. Don't be surprised though if the deal turns out to be won by Edmonton in the future.
May 14, 2019 at 4:01 p.m.
Quoting: EdmontonAllTheWay
Right now I say it's a win-win for both teams. Don't be surprised though if the deal turns out to be won by Edmonton in the future.

Eberle > Strome > Spooner > Gagner

Ooph.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit