SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Vegas Golden Knights

Grading Vegas Knights Expansion Draft 6/21/17

What grade do you give Knights on their expansion draft?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 22, 2017 at 1:03 p.m.
I have to admit I give them a C- for below average for the draft/moves up to including 6/21/17... So I'd like to know what others think so we can have a score that can reflect on in a year or longer. I think too much depends on them having to sign players like Shattenkirk, Franson or perhaps other goalies like Steve Mason, Bernier, Darcy Kuemper, Elliot, Chad Johnson, and Kinkaid. Since I don't see them doing well only drafting 3 right shooting D-men in Riemsdyk (traded to Carolina), Miller (Boston), along with a 35 year old goon basically in Engellend. Pickard is more akin to Jeff Hackett than Bill Smith, don't see much in net for them in future. Almost the entire roster is on 1 year deals with only a few having 2 or more years. I'm hoping by time season opens they will be looking better than what team has now... I'll get into what I think a bit in detail to give an idea why...

I think it was a mistake not getting Blue Jackets or Tampa to throw in a goalie prospect like Anton Forsberg or Gudlveski. Those guys might not be ready now but maybe in a few years when Fleury is probably gone with Pickard's future unclear. I can understand them trading for Reiley Smith who I always liked then taking Jon coming off his fluke goal output instead of Demers. I think they made a major mistake taking Merrill over a Smith Pelly who has shown flashes on Ducks and Devils. I thought he was tough to play against when Kings faced them on their way to 2nd Stanley Cup Title. I don't know if he would become a Simmonds or anything of that nature but have more optimism with him over guy taken. Red Wings tend to put a lot of time/effort into minor league team so passing on Mrazek might be something they regret long and short term. I would have made the Jets at least throw in Hutchinson to give me some goalie depth. Didn't really like that move, Thorburn seemed older than plan they had to draft. Hopefully Garrison gets back to a double digit goal total, wish they got Gudlveski to take him though. Methot I think was a bad pick, rather have Wideman a right handed D who can score 5 or 6 goals a year. Methot I remember has been a healthy scratch who played 70ish games at most in a year. They say he played with King Karl but only had like 12 assists entire season smile? That isn't going to win in todays NHL just to break the news to everybody now smile. I think Schlemko was a bad pick, he was a dud as expected for Sharks. I'd rather them take DeMelo or Dillon, SJ makes SCF with a right handed shot Polak player with Dillon but insisted on pairing him with Schlemko. Sharks fans should be happy, too bad Boadker or so didn't pant out for them. Linberg I thought they might take a speedy Grabner over him, who scored close to 30 goals. HE makes me think of the former Kings property Oscor Moller or so wink. Sounds more like a dentist than a hockey player smile. I didn't like them taking Emelin without getting a draft pick or a player thrown in like Hudon. Ducks giving up Stoner along with Theodore to keep Vatanan a right shot D-man seemed like another bad move. Even if Theodore pans out that could be 3-5 years down the road. Probably could have got more in a trade if Vatanen panned out than for not taking him. While I like Haula that seemed bad when could have had Dumba a right shot D-man who can score double digit goals or Scandella. You likely would get more for trading Dumba than what they got for not taking him or Scandella... CBJ was able to trade them Clarkson without giving up Anton Forsberg in net which is another botchery. Beagle might have been a nice pick, though don't have a problem really taking chance on Schmidt either. McNabb helps the Kings since they would have lost somebody on waivers to keep 1st round bust Forbort, likely costing Gravel, McNabb, McDermmid or so if he wasn't taken. Besides I don't think LA would have been able to sign McNabb at end of his contract anyways.

Right now Vegas is on a 10 year plan depending too heavily on trades or drafts along with free agency. Even if they finish badly they might not get a top 2 pick... Ask the Sharks how taking Faloon at 2 instead of getting Eric Lindros at 1 worked out for them smile. Their GM isn't Torrey he showed a lack of understanding when building the team that worries me. Easier to get more for a player that have by a trade than trading to not take that player. You could have gotten more right shooting D-men giving a higher return or better deals if trade some than path they took. Miller was fastest skater/hardest shot at AHL All Star game so hopefully he pans out. I probably would have taken a chance on Brouwer from Flames over signing a 35 year old I could have signed anyways for free... AT least get them to toss a draft pick to not take somebody or for taking a free agent they likely were not keeping anyways. I can see taking Pickard, otherwise who would they get Wiercioth, Islanders got off easy not losing Brock Nelson etc. Even if they sign Berube I don't think he is waiver exempt so would be at risk. Though he was fine in AHL Winning Calder along with Bartosak each player played because of injury in final too smile. HE seems to me more akin to LaBarbara or so who will likely bounce up/down from AHL to NHL.
Oct. 29, 2020 at 1:25 a.m.
Brad Boyes please Wq
Oooooh boi,
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit