SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Grading the Expansion Draft

What Mark Does Vegas Get?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 22, 2017 at 2:27 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Personally, I think it was bad. To many bad contracts, they didn't stalk pile goalies, and they passed on the opportunities to add young talent. Miserable draft by Vegas if you ask me.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 3:03 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I give them a "C" for now. They passed up some obvious talent and made some questionable selections.
This thread might work better if you were to put all of their transactions in here. I can't recall them all off the top of my head.

I do know they had an unprecedented opportunity to build a better roster. I think they failed to take maximum advantage of that opportunity.
They seem to be setting themselves up to build through the draft rather than ice a better product now, which is contrary to earlier statements about contending within a few years.

It was all sort of "meh" to me. They picked up a few decent players, a bunch of middling vets, and some unspectacular prospects/players.
Whether they can get a decent return for some of those players by flipping them later, remains to be seen, but at best, I think they come out of this with a grade of about "B-".
Neal will probably net them a decent pick and prospect, but the rest will result in middling picks that are no better value wise than the options they had available who were more NHL ready.
nobody liked this.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 5:27 p.m.
They got some players that will pull in some pretty decent assets at next years deadline. I don't think it was a total disaster but I think I they made some big mistakes and left some talent on the board. They have three good picks which will probably serviceable players. I think they could flip Neal and Perron for good assets next you.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 5:35 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
It was an absolutely, positively woeful draft. Vegas could've legitimately put together a playoff contending team with the hand they were dealt while adding some young guys in the process. Alas, they pretty much entirely f@#*!d it up on draft day. And if that wasn't bad enough, they traded away Schlemko and TVR, both some of the better defensemen they drafted and two guys who could make for a great bottom pairing on any team.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 5:48 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: Snobalt
It was an absolutely, positively woeful draft. Vegas could've legitimately put together a playoff contending team with the hand they were dealt while adding some young guys in the process. Alas, they pretty much entirely f@#*!d it up on draft day. And if that wasn't bad enough, they traded away Schlemko and TVR, both some of the better defensemen they drafted and two guys who could make for a great bottom pairing on any team.

I agree.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 5:58 p.m.
Should have taken Josh Bailey, young and 56 points! Doesn't get any better than that for an expansion team
Jun. 22, 2017 at 6:57 p.m.
Vegas made some very questionable choices and could've done a lot better. I'm giving them a D.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 10:37 p.m.
I gave them a C. They had some terrific deals and then some horrific decisions.
Jun. 23, 2017 at 10:41 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
@Sahil2020 (can't quote for some reason) I don't understand why Isles fans hate Josh Bailey so much. He actually would've been a far better pick than Berube, especially considering Vegas whiffed on their wingers. Nelson would've been better due to the dearth of centers available, but Bailey wouldn't have been bad. The only justification I can see as to why Isles fans hate him is because he was awful in the 2016 playoffs. But come on; he's an assist machine and was a nice surprise on JT's wing even though he's a better 2nd line winger.
Jun. 30, 2017 at 2:53 p.m.
They couldve done way better and took better players but they did do well with some picks like Pickard, Marchessault, Leipsic. Miller, Schlemko, TVR and Flower but why in the world are they picking players like Engelland or Bellemare?
Jun. 30, 2017 at 3:04 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
F is my vote. Their defence is like, worse than any current NHL teams' D. They don't have the best forward group either. I really don't like how they drafted their team.
nobody liked this.
Jun. 30, 2017 at 3:41 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
F is my vote. Their defence is like, worse than any current NHL teams' D. They don't have the best forward group either. I really don't like how they drafted their team.

Agreed.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit