SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CHI / CBJ) - Saad, Forsberg for Panarin, Motte

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 23, 2017 at 12:34 p.m.
A trade between Chicago Blackhawks and Columbus Blue Jackets has been confirmed.
Trade Details
Chicago Blackhawks Acquire:
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
Brandon Saad · $6,000,000$6,000,000$6,250,000
Anton Forsberg · $750,000$750,000$700,000
2018 5th round pick (CBJ - #142 - Michael Callahan)
Sum: $6,750,000$6,750,000$6,950,000
Change: -$175,000
Change: -$175,000
Change: +$25,000
Columbus Blue Jackets Acquire:
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
Artemi Panarin · $6,000,000$6,000,000$6,000,000
Tyler Motte · $925,000$925,000$925,000
2017 6th round pick (NYI - #170 - Jonathan Davidsson)
Sum: $6,925,000$6,925,000$6,925,000
Change: +$175,000
Change: +$175,000
Change: -$25,000
Jun. 23, 2017 at 12:37 p.m.
You have got to be ******* kidding me.
Saskleaf and Tntpod liked this.
Jun. 23, 2017 at 12:41 p.m.
Chicago getting worked but this does not address their cap issues. Panarin would likely be needing a raise in a couple of years but, wow.
Saskleaf and Tntpod liked this.
Jun. 23, 2017 at 12:50 p.m.
Great trade for CHI
Jun. 23, 2017 at 1:00 p.m.
I really like this trade for Chicago getting a potential starting goalie in Anton Forsberg who I had wanted Vegas to take/etc wink. Saad is under contract longer so they probably would have had a harder time signing Pan after he was done with current deal. So this might end up saving them more in the long run while giving them what could be a real deal number 1 goalie too smile. Saad was always good on Chicago, pretty bold move, guess the Hossa situation along with losing Darling was major factor in it. Shocking in a way that they would trade him, though I think the return will pan out pretty well for Chicago long and short term smile.
Jun. 23, 2017 at 1:12 p.m.
Panarin being coached by Torts is a disaster waiting to happen. He was already moving Saad down the lineup because he didn't like his two way or his physical play... Let's see how he reacts to Panarin's game.
TReinstadtler liked this.
Jun. 23, 2017 at 1:19 p.m.
get ur corsi up
All I see from the Hjarmallson and now Panarin trades, is the fall of an Empire.
MoreOfAnIslesGuy liked this.
Jun. 23, 2017 at 2:58 p.m.
This trade makes absolute sense for the Hawks. Panarin is a one dimensional player. A DAMN good one but still one dimensional.
Saad brings the all around game (two-way, PP, PK) and has been proven to play great next to Toews and make Toews better as well. Saad has 4 years left on his deal while Panarin is a UFA in 2 which the Hawks likely cant afford after. Saad fits better into the Hawks system and is a year younger.

Not a fan of giving up Motte but the Hawks need goalies.

There is a lot more to a forward than just points.

I dislike the Hammer trade though. Don't agree with that one at all.
Jun. 23, 2017 at 3:35 p.m.
Columbus is throwing everything they have at acquiring some speed and goal scoring. Johansen's season made Saad redundant in their eyes.

I think Saad is more valuable than Panarin, as well as younger and on a longer contract. Chicago dictated terms, got an extra pick in a better draft as well as a good goalie prospect lined up to take over from Crawford.

Fair deal, but Win/Lose or Win/Win hinges on whether Motte becomes a 20-30 goal scorer in the NHL.
Jun. 23, 2017 at 3:51 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Trade makes sense for both teams.
Jun. 23, 2017 at 4:48 p.m.
Quoting: goldie078
Columbus is throwing everything they have at acquiring some speed and goal scoring. Johansen's season made Saad redundant in their eyes.

I think Saad is more valuable than Panarin, as well as younger and on a longer contract. Chicago dictated terms, got an extra pick in a better draft as well as a good goalie prospect lined up to take over from Crawford.

Fair deal, but Win/Lose or Win/Win hinges on whether Motte becomes a 20-30 goal scorer in the NHL.

I think Motte is too small to play in the West anyways. Tortz will probably have Panarin heading back to the KHL rather than return to CBJ smile. When Forsberg is skating around hoisting the Stanley Cup look to see where CBJ is or Motte smile. Saad would have had better production if not for his coach so going back to Chicago would mean 30-40 goals while Pan will have trouble keeping above 30 if Tortz has him injured blocking a shot. Look how badly the Sedins did under him. Worked out pretty well for the Kings when CBJ traded them Carter to win the 1st cup then Gaborik to get the 2nd wink. Seems many they trade go on to do well while the player returned isn't quite as productive as expected wink.
Jun. 23, 2017 at 6:01 p.m.
Panarin is a 60-65 point player, playing with Kane gives a slight bump, and saad is a 50-55 point player that might be 60 pointer with kane, panarin is better but Chicago still won the deal
Jun. 24, 2017 at 5:18 a.m.
Funny is that Saad is about a year younger than Panarin, he has a few inches on him, weights about 30+ pounds. This is like trading a boy who is about 170 pounds soaking wet for a man. I could slap around Panarin, physically abuse him, manhandle him without much effort... Yet Saad is about 200+ pounds over 6 feet, he would pound me into the ground or tell me to get real wink. Playing in West you need more size especially in the Post Season which I think was a reason why Blackhawks got swept by Nashville if remember right. They don't have to risk Pan leaving to play in KHL, they have a guy under contract for a set rate of salary making it easier to plan/get a team together. Most likely Saad will get 30ish goals, about 70 to 80 points, while Pan will be lucky to get 30 goals again, not get hurt, or reach 60 points especially with the coach he has smile. This guy is famous for trying to get into a fist fight when was Vancouver coach smile. Forsberg will probably be a franchise goalie which will really put the icing on the cake, I think he is better than Raanta or Darling was if nothing else, maybe even Crawford in time wink.
Jun. 25, 2017 at 3:13 p.m.
On paper Columbus won this trade in terms of the regular season, off paper Chicago b*tch slapped Columbus. In three years with Saad him and Toews won the Stanley cup twice, in two years with Panarin him and Kane dominated the regular season but couldn't finish. Also from last season we know that Panarin can't play well without Kane, or at least someone with his skill set, while Saad can definitely play with Toews and others. Also Saad is a year younger than Panarin, has a longer contract, and plays more physical. Panarin is older than Saad, has a contract that expires in two years and after that he'll definitely want more than 6 mil, and he isn't physical at all. Also Panarin won't fit with Torts, just like Saad didn't. Saad fits with Q, just like Panarin did. Also Motte looked like a bust in the games he played in the NHL last season and still underwhelmed in the AHL where Forsberg looked great in the AHL but also underperformed in the NHL in the few games he played (Darling also started out slow). Also Chicago gets a better pick in a better draft.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 11:01 a.m.
Below Market Value
Some great takes in this thread.
HabsForEver, PrincessChloe, exo2769 and 5 others liked this.
Jun. 9, 2020 at 8:39 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Some great takes in this thread.

It really is interesting to see how much Panarin really developed into one of the best players in the game. People on here were thinking that he was going to take a drop off being away from Kane, but it didn't happen. Unfortunately for CBJ...his big jump was with NYR, but they got value too. It's still a very interesting trade. Panarin is clearly the best player, but he left CBJ for nothing. Forseberg (and Forsling) got DeHaan and Saad has 1 more year with Saad.
Jun. 28, 2020 at 2:18 p.m.
yikes
Feb. 23, 2022 at 10:33 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Great trade for CHI

lol
Feb. 23, 2022 at 10:33 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Sahil2020
Panarin is a 60-65 point player, playing with Kane gives a slight bump, and saad is a 50-55 point player that might be 60 pointer with kane, panarin is better but Chicago still won the deal

lmao
Feb. 23, 2022 at 10:34 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: goldie078

yes. saad has more value than Panarin.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 10:45 a.m.
Go leafs go
Great trade for CHI

Quoting: Daoloth
I really like this trade for Chicago getting a potential starting goalie in Anton Forsberg who I had wanted Vegas to take/etc wink. Saad is under contract longer so they probably would have had a harder time signing Pan after he was done with current deal. So this might end up saving them more in the long run while giving them what could be a real deal number 1 goalie too smile. Saad was always good on Chicago, pretty bold move, guess the Hossa situation along with losing Darling was major factor in it. Shocking in a way that they would trade him, though I think the return will pan out pretty well for Chicago long and short term smile.

Quoting: mtdavis311
Panarin being coached by Torts is a disaster waiting to happen. He was already moving Saad down the lineup because he didn't like his two way or his physical play... Let's see how he reacts to Panarin's game.

Quoting: Hockeyplayer1
This trade makes absolute sense for the Hawks. Panarin is a one dimensional player. A DAMN good one but still one dimensional.
Saad brings the all around game (two-way, PP, PK) and has been proven to play great next to Toews and make Toews better as well. Saad has 4 years left on his deal while Panarin is a UFA in 2 which the Hawks likely cant afford after. Saad fits better into the Hawks system and is a year younger.

Not a fan of giving up Motte but the Hawks need goalies.

There is a lot more to a forward than just points.

I dislike the Hammer trade though. Don't agree with that one at all.

Quoting: Sahil2020

Quoting: Cham
On paper Columbus won this trade in terms of the regular season, off paper Chicago b*tch slapped Columbus. In three years with Saad him and Toews won the Stanley cup twice, in two years with Panarin him and Kane dominated the regular season but couldn't finish. Also from last season we know that Panarin can't play well without Kane, or at least someone with his skill set, while Saad can definitely play with Toews and others. Also Saad is a year younger than Panarin, has a longer contract, and plays more physical. Panarin is older than Saad, has a contract that expires in two years and after that he'll definitely want more than 6 mil, and he isn't physical at all. Also Panarin won't fit with Torts, just like Saad didn't. Saad fits with Q, just like Panarin did. Also Motte looked like a bust in the games he played in the NHL last season and still underwhelmed in the AHL where Forsberg looked great in the AHL but also underperformed in the NHL in the few games he played (Darling also started out slow). Also Chicago gets a better pick in a better draft.

Hahahaha sorry I couldn’t help myself.
Cham liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 9:22 p.m.
Quoting: RonaldBilius
lol

Context was that Chicago wasn't going to be able to afford Panarin so they acquired Saad with 3/4 years left on his contract for the exact same cap hit. Saad goes 62-53-115 in 220 games (0.522 PPG).
palhal liked this.
Feb. 24, 2022 at 1:36 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Context was that Chicago wasn't going to be able to afford Panarin so they acquired Saad with 3/4 years left on his contract for the exact same cap hit. Saad goes 62-53-115 in 220 games (0.522 PPG).

And then they gave him away for Zadorov RIP
Jun. 21, 2023 at 12:52 a.m.
I make Articals.
Quoting: Daoloth

didn't age well
PrisonBull liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit