SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Vancouver Canucks

Elias Pettersson

Jun. 23, 2017 at 7:55 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
I think that of all the players in this draft Pettersson has the highest potential after Hischier and Makar. He has the potential to be a number one centre and a 70-80 point player if everything works out. I think the Cody Glass may have been a better pick, but I definitely prefer Pettersson over Vilardi and Mittelstadt
Jun. 24, 2017 at 2:45 a.m.
I agree on Pettersson over Vilardi and Mittelstdat, but honestly...well, here's my take:

Glass is the better player IMO. Dynamic, scores, has speed, makes plays, etc. Not to say Pettersson doesn't but IMO Glass is better. He's the guy everyone in the city wanted big time. It was just this morning on the radio that Sven Baertschi was raving about him.

Vegas had Glass in mind too. They wanted him big. So big, that they were prepared to give up a 2nd or 3rd to move up from 6 to 5. However, either Benning revealed his card or there was some sort of internal leak in which Vegas figured out Pettersson was gonna be picked. With that, Vegas got the player they wanted at no extra cost.

The fact they could have gotten a 2nd and then get Pettersson frustrates me. In addition, they would have probably got him at 7 or 8 or 9. Picking him at 5 is a big stretch. Think about it: moving down a few slots, while still getting the player you wanted AND getting a couple of quality picks along the way? That's how you play your cards. IMO Benning revealed his set to McPhee, who gladly took Glass...time will tell though if it was worth it or not
Jun. 24, 2017 at 4:03 a.m.
I don't believe Benning showed his cards to McPhee. I think they had a deal and McPhee bailed at the last second and went with the risk.

Now let's assume Benning did tell McPhee that he wasn't taking Glass. That is a TON of goodwill shown to a colleague of what will be a struggling franchise for some time. A classy move and one that would be remembered when a future deal between the two arises.
Jun. 24, 2017 at 10:06 a.m.
Quoting: PrisonBull
I don't believe Benning showed his cards to McPhee. I think they had a deal and McPhee bailed at the last second and went with the risk.

Now let's assume Benning did tell McPhee that he wasn't taking Glass. That is a TON of goodwill shown to a colleague of what will be a struggling franchise for some time. A classy move and one that would be remembered when a future deal between the two arises.

What if Pettersson turns out to flunk while Glass wins multiple Harts? Would you still congrutaluate JB on "goodwill"? Drafting players isn't like picking berries here. And Vegas won't be struggling whatsoever. The last expansion team made it to the Finals within 20 years, and they didn't even have as many advantages as Vegas. I'm frankly startled at your comment. It is this pick that could turn out to be franchise-altering, and if it gets up because of "goodwill", it goes to show how ridiculous Benning and management really are
Jun. 24, 2017 at 7:35 p.m.
Elias Pettersson is so dynamic and is probably one of the most skilled players in the draft,

There hasn't been a single player that got a 0.75+ ppg in their rookie in Hockeyallsvenkan except for Pettersson who got 0.95, and this is the league where Nylander, Zetterberg and Forsberg have played

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll