SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs Free Agency Targets

Jun. 27, 2017 at 2:27 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Who do you guys think the Leafs should sing? I say Anders Nilsson for 1.75 for 2 years.
Jun. 27, 2017 at 5:57 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Apparently Marleau is being considered.
Jun. 28, 2017 at 1:11 a.m.
Bring back Hunwick! And Nilsson or Elliot would be nice
Jun. 28, 2017 at 10:00 a.m.
Elliot gona want more than 1yr @ 1.5m (thats what id pay maybe 2yr@1.25per)
Jun. 28, 2017 at 11:57 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: DavidBooth7

Hunwick might make sense, only problem is he's aging and won't be able to do the same stuff at the same level he did last year. Elliott would be perfect but might cost more than Nilsson, also his age is a factor. Booth are you Leafs fan? I always assumed you were for the Canucks.
Jun. 28, 2017 at 7:46 p.m.
Quoting: DarylthePony

Hunwick might make sense, only problem is he's aging and won't be able to do the same stuff at the same level he did last year. Elliott would be perfect but might cost more than Nilsson, also his age is a factor. Booth are you Leafs fan? I always assumed you were for the Canucks.

Oh I'm a Canucks fan alright. Leafs are my alternate team
Jun. 28, 2017 at 10:35 p.m.
Banned
Nielsen, FRan From Detroit red Wings
Jun. 29, 2017 at 9:16 a.m.
get ur corsi up

Thought so. Was that you I saw on TV during the riot when the Bruins won the cup? laugh
Jun. 29, 2017 at 9:44 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I really wonder if Marleau or Thornton are being considered. Sounds like a lot of media and social media talking trying to make a story. The Leafs do need help with their 5th/6th Dmen, but they should get some short term veteran help easily enough. I'm even for the the signing of Hunwick and Polak if it's just for continuity. Veteran goaltending....easy to find someone.
Jun. 29, 2017 at 10:00 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: palhal
I really wonder if Marleau or Thornton are being considered. Sounds like a lot of media and social media talking trying to make a story. The Leafs do need help with their 5th/6th Dmen, but they should get some short term veteran help easily enough. I'm even for the the signing of Hunwick and Polak if it's just for continuity. Veteran goaltending....easy to find someone.

Thornton is a no, but Marleau is possible. Apparently Weal is being considered.
Jun. 29, 2017 at 11:05 a.m.

Thought so. Was that you I saw on TV during the riot when the Bruins won the cup? laugh

Mayyyyybe Sticking Out Tongue
Jun. 29, 2017 at 12:50 p.m.
get ur corsi up

Mayyyyybe Sticking Out Tongue

laugh
Jun. 29, 2017 at 4:52 p.m.
TheGiftedYoungRider
Edited Jun. 29, 2017 at 5:11 p.m.

Having Marleau on the team would be really nice, other than Boyle they dont have too many verterans or playpff experience, and he could be good with someone young like Marner.
Jun. 29, 2017 at 5:04 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: TheGiftedYoungRider

Having Marleau on the team would be really nice, other than Boyle they dont have too many verterans or playpff experience, and he could be good with someone young like Zaitsev.

Boyle's a free agent to though. I doubt he returns.
Jun. 29, 2017 at 5:11 p.m.
TheGiftedYoungRider
Quoting: TheGiftedYoungRider

Having Marleau on the team would be really nice, other than Boyle they dont have too many verterans or playpff experience, and he could be good with someone young like Zaitsev.

Boyle's a free agent to though. I doubt he returns.

Which is why we need to sign another veteran or two.
Jun. 29, 2017 at 9:43 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Anyone think Sharp would be a good target for Toronto?
Jun. 30, 2017 at 12:05 a.m.
Anyone think Sharp would be a good target for Toronto?

No though it depends on the price tag really. Think that Nilsson is rumored to sign with Vancouver... I'm not sure I believe the Jumbo Joe going to Toronto rumors considering the media outlet located round there or in general. Boyle supposedly might return to Tampa, either way don't see him returning. Forwards I been looking at in general include guys like Hanzal who won over 56% of his faceoffs, Gagner who used to like on Oilers coming off 18 goal season w/ decent amt of points for a real cheap contract, Bonino, Winnik, Vrbata, PA Parentau, Wingles, Hemsky, Doan, Stafford, there a few others Vanek, Grigorenko, Pirri, Michalek for forwards. As for Defense I'm only really looking at right handed shots smile. Chicago seemed to make the right decision getting rid of Sharp, I'm not optimistic about him doing well anywhere. AT this point how much would Sharp want or get to make a better guess if even worth trying? Are we looking at like a 1M show me contract sorta like Eaves had a low cap hit before having a season to parlay into 3M+. They might as well sign Jagr or Iginla smile.
Jun. 30, 2017 at 7:55 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: Daoloth

No though it depends on the price tag really. Think that Nilsson is rumored to sign with Vancouver... I'm not sure I believe the Jumbo Joe going to Toronto rumors considering the media outlet located round there or in general. Boyle supposedly might return to Tampa, either way don't see him returning. Forwards I been looking at in general include guys like Hanzal who won over 56% of his faceoffs, Gagner who used to like on Oilers coming off 18 goal season w/ decent amt of points for a real cheap contract, Bonino, Winnik, Vrbata, PA Parentau, Wingles, Hemsky, Doan, Stafford, there a few others Vanek, Grigorenko, Pirri, Michalek for forwards. As for Defense I'm only really looking at right handed shots smile. Chicago seemed to make the right decision getting rid of Sharp, I'm not optimistic about him doing well anywhere. AT this point how much would Sharp want or get to make a better guess if even worth trying? Are we looking at like a 1M show me contract sorta like Eaves had a low cap hit before having a season to parlay into 3M+. They might as well sign Jagr or Iginla smile.

Hanzal would be good, since it's no secret Toronto has faceoff issues. I'd love to have him on line 3, as well as Bonino. If it were up to me: Marleau and Hanzal/Bonino would be my choices. However we still have defense issues, and while Alzner would fit, I feel like whoever signs him will have to overpay him to get him, so I'd rather trade for a defenseman.
Jun. 30, 2017 at 11:15 a.m.
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-?-Kapanen

I don't see much need for say Bonino or Hanzal as the only hole I see is the 4th line center. Also keep in mind Bonino and Hanzal would want multiyear contracts, which will run through when they have to resign their three headed monster of Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Seems like Boyle isn't coming back but I'd like to see someone like, say Nate Thompson, come as an experienced fourth line center.

Gardiner-Zaitsev
Reilly-Carrick?
?-Marchenko?

Are Carrick and Marchenko ready for such roles? If they want to rebuild while win, it becomes a little tricky there...Id like to see a guy like Demers/Tanev come in perhaps (Florida/Vancouver could retain?) and slot in with Reilly on the second pair. Enables the Carrick/Marchenko duo to play at different times on the third pair. This is where Hunwick should come in, as a third pairing veteran kinda guy to support Carrick/Marchenko

Andersen
?

As for their backup, if all goes wrong McElheiny would still be available. That wouldn't be the end of the world. Seems like their determined on upgrading though. The way I see it, the goalies on the market are: Mason, Elliot, Miller and Bernier. Teams after goalies are: Vancouver, Winnipeg, Anaheim, and Toronto. Hopefully (fingers crossed) Miller returns to Vancouver. Bernier would then have to most likely return to Anaheim. Winnipeg would get one of Mason or Elliot. Leaves the other one for Toronto. I see Winnipeg signing Mason more so, and that's fine cause the Andersen-Elliot duo would be really good
Jun. 30, 2017 at 12:08 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Here's how I see it:

Hyman, Matthews, Nylander
JVR, Bozak, Marner
Komarov, Kadri, Brown
Leivo, Free Agent, Kapanen

Gardiner, Zaitsev
Free Agent, Rielly
Free Agent, Carrick

Frederik Anderson
Free Agent

It's clear Toronto needs a line 4 center Boyle would be nice but I doubt he resigns, two bottom paring LHD's maybe Alzner and Kulikov? Then a backup which I would suggest Nilsson
Jun. 30, 2017 at 1:10 p.m.

Hanzal would be good, since it's no secret Toronto has faceoff issues. I'd love to have him on line 3, as well as Bonino. If it were up to me: Marleau and Hanzal/Bonino would be my choices. However we still have defense issues, and while Alzner would fit, I feel like whoever signs him will have to overpay him to get him, so I'd rather trade for a defenseman.

Yeah I was never a fan of Alzner, with Sbisa getting paid 4M this year while Russell just got that 16M four year deal I figure he will cost like 5-6M in cap hit... Kings have faceoffs issues since they changed the rule or started to enforce them... So been looking at Centers who could win more than they lose while providing 20-30 goals perhaps. I thought when Toronto traded for Boyle that would be just enough to get them in Post Season over Islanders etc. You could think about taking a chance on some of the buyouts, Cammalleri I was never a fan of really, though maybe can get real cheap for a show me contract. Smith Pelly I used to think had some flashes on Ducks and Devils. When Kings played them in Post Season he was like the Sith version of 77 while Carter was the Jedi. Scandella just got traded to Buffalo, I liked that deal for them getting Pom back while shipping 2 guys I never really liked much. Really wondering where Hanzal will end up since it seems he is one of the most coveted free agents this year at his position. Will be weird seeing Jumbo Joe or Marleau in another uniform regardless where they go.

Goalies these days are likely to make the initial save on any shot they can see... So faceoffs in the offensive zone are really important if can win for a nice point shot. Even in the defensive zone to win to avoid having that happen to you. So if a guy can win close to 60% that is going to translate into some goals/avoiding getting scored upon. No idea where Bonino will end up, he probably has like 10 teams to decide upon. Players seem to be afraid to play in Toronto or try to blame the media there. I'm hoping will find out where a few of these players land during the weekend, just wonder what kinda cap hit/contract they will cost.
Jun. 30, 2017 at 1:44 p.m.
get ur corsi up

Yeah I was never a fan of Alzner, with Sbisa getting paid 4M this year while Russell just got that 16M four year deal I figure he will cost like 5-6M in cap hit... Kings have faceoffs issues since they changed the rule or started to enforce them... So been looking at Centers who could win more than they lose while providing 20-30 goals perhaps. I thought when Toronto traded for Boyle that would be just enough to get them in Post Season over Islanders etc. You could think about taking a chance on some of the buyouts, Cammalleri I was never a fan of really, though maybe can get real cheap for a show me contract. Smith Pelly I used to think had some flashes on Ducks and Devils. When Kings played them in Post Season he was like the Sith version of 77 while Carter was the Jedi. Scandella just got traded to Buffalo, I liked that deal for them getting Pom back while shipping 2 guys I never really liked much. Really wondering where Hanzal will end up since it seems he is one of the most coveted free agents this year at his position. Will be weird seeing Jumbo Joe or Marleau in another uniform regardless where they go.

Goalies these days are likely to make the initial save on any shot they can see... So faceoffs in the offensive zone are really important if can win for a nice point shot. Even in the defensive zone to win to avoid having that happen to you. So if a guy can win close to 60% that is going to translate into some goals/avoiding getting scored upon. No idea where Bonino will end up, he probably has like 10 teams to decide upon. Players seem to be afraid to play in Toronto or try to blame the media there. I'm hoping will find out where a few of these players land during the weekend, just wonder what kinda cap hit/contract they will cost.

Yea, Toronto has been quiet all offseason (except for some fire drafting) I'd expect Lamoriello to work his magic sooner or later.
Jul. 1, 2017 at 11:03 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
They should look at Alzner and Shattenkirk.
Jul. 1, 2017 at 6:27 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Edited Jul. 1, 2017 at 6:57 p.m.
Nice job at acquiring decent a backup.... sigh. Like the Moore signing though. Like having Hainsey as well.
Jul. 1, 2017 at 7:03 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Anyone think Kovalchuk may come to Toronto?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll