Forums/Armchair-GM

Nylander

Created by: HughMann413
Team: 2023-24 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 21, 2023
Published: Jul. 21, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is for those Caps fans who are clueless on the value of Nylander. Wilson + a 1st + B Prospect would make more sense for both teams, but I decided I wouldn't use Wilson here so I don't have to hear from a certain someone say "Caps aren't trading Wilson" *cough cough* you know who you are 😉. I am a Caps fan, but I understand that Nylander demands a high price and to mention Wilson again, that Wilson is very overrated by most Caps fans.

TBH - Even this proposed package might not be enough for Nylander.

Also, obviously this team would be over the cap with roster spots to fill, so there would have to be another move or two for this to even work.
Trades
TOR
  1. Johansen, Lucas
  2. Mantha, Anthony
  3. McMichael, Connor
  4. 2024 1st round pick (WSH)
  5. 2025 1st round pick (WSH)
  6. 2025 2nd round pick (BOS)
  7. 2025 2nd round pick (COL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,500,000$80,963,200$20,000$2,082,500$2,536,800
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 5
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,225,000$1,225,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,675,000$2,675,000
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$2,000,000$2M)
LW
NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 21, 2023 at 3:46 p.m.
Caps pass. They'll just wait for Nylander in FA next summer.
HughMann413 liked this.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 3:49 p.m.
Quoting: ClockReads2113

I agree, kinda. I definitely don't think the Caps would do this, BUT they would have to give up a haul if they did. Disagree with the "wait until free agency" stuff. Nylander could already be traded and signed long term at that point and if not, there's 30 other teams that will have varying degrees of interest. IF Nylander is on the Caps radar, they need to pull the trigger b4 this season starts.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 3:50 p.m.
Quoting: ClockReads2113

Ah yes.. this terrible narrative.

How’d that work out for Montreal and PLD? Or did Detroit wait out the year to sign DeBrincat for free? Or did Florida wait out the year to sign Tkachuk for free?

Teams don’t wait because they know when their window is. & Nylander at $6.96M this season brings so much value to a team and that’s something you’ll never be able to get again.
HughMann413 liked this.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 3:51 p.m.
Not even going to talk about value, you can debate that either way - but Toronto is likely looking for impact roster players for Nylander and you haven’t offered that. For that reason alone I’d think they wouldn’t be interested in this deal
HughMann413 liked this.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 3:51 p.m.
Quoting: GreatWhiteNorth

How’d that work out for Montreal and PLD? Or did Detroit wait out the year to sign DeBrincat for free? Or did Florida wait out the year to sign Tkachuk for free?

Teams don’t wait because they know when their window is. & Nylander at $6.96M this season brings so much value to a team and that’s something you’ll never be able to get again.

THIS!!!!
Jul. 21, 2023 at 3:53 p.m.
Nylander is over rated
**** him
I hope he sits till his contract finishes
could be the agent he has
who knows
Jul. 21, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
Not even going to talk about value, you can debate that either way - but Toronto is likely looking for impact roster players for Nylander and you haven’t offered that. For that reason alone I’d think they wouldn’t be interested in this deal

Agreed. I don't really see a scenario where a Caps/Leafs Nylander trade doesn't include Wilson. Was just trying to keep everybody semi-happy. Both Caps and Leafs fans are generally insufferable on here 😂
Jul. 21, 2023 at 4:16 p.m.
Good lord that trade is awful
Jul. 21, 2023 at 4:18 p.m.
Quoting: jazzykiwi
Good lord that trade is awful

Good Lord!!! Explain yourself. 😉 I know it can be hard for some people on here, but, try using concrete evidence and logical thinking when giving your explanationsmile
Jul. 21, 2023 at 4:25 p.m.
Quoting: HughMann413
Good Lord!!! Explain yourself. 😉 I know it can be hard for some people on here, but, try using concrete evidence and logical thinking when giving your explanationsmile

Nylander isn't worth TWO 1st's, TWO 2nd's, AND one of the caps top prospects. That is such a ridiculous overpayment it shouldn't need explaining. Might was well throw OVI and Wilson in there two, why not? especially since he's a FA after this season
Jul. 21, 2023 at 4:32 p.m.
Nylander isn't worth TWO 1st's, TWO 2nd's, AND one of the caps top prospects. That is such a ridiculous overpayment it shouldn't need explaining. Might was well throw OVI and Wilson in there two, why not? especially since he's a FA after this season

Well, Gotta pay to Dump Mantha AND pay for Timmons.

- Nylander For McMichael + 1st + 1st
- Mantha Dump For 1 and a half 2nds
- Timmons for LuJo and half a 2nd.

It's not nearly as far off as you might think. 😉

McMichael will never be 1/2 the player Nylander is.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 4:38 p.m.

You’re overestimating how much Mantha dump and Timmins are worth.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 4:40 p.m.
Quoting: vikhodush
You’re overestimating how much Mantha dump and Timmins are worth.

Timmons is definitely worth a non NHL LuJo and 1/2 a 2nd.
Mantha is gonna cost a LOT to get rid of, honestly 1.5 2nds isn't enough. Some posters on here are paying TWO seconds to dump Mantha. wink. What do you think they are worth?
Jul. 21, 2023 at 4:44 p.m.
Mantha is gonna cost a LOT to get rid of, honestly 1.5 2nds isn't enough. Some posters on here are paying TWO seconds to dump Mantha. wink. What do you think they are worth?

Timmins is a 7D on a good team and has had trouble staying healthy and playing consistently - not worth more than a 4/5.

Mantha can probably be dumped for a second and a later pick. I also read that wrong and thought you had a first and a second for him.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 4:48 p.m.
Timmins is a 7D on a good team and has had trouble staying healthy and playing consistently - not worth more than a 4/5.

Mantha can probably be dumped for a second and a later pick. I also read that wrong and thought you had a first and a second for him.

I would argue that 1/2 a 2nd would be around the worth of a 4th, maybe a 3rd depending on the pick #. To me LuJo is worthless, Caps should have given up on him a long time ago.

Agreed on Timmins health, but if he can stay healthy, he would be a decent 6th/7th Dman with Potential (key word) middle pairing ability.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 4:49 p.m.
I would argue that 1/2 a 2nd would be around the worth of a 4th, maybe a 3rd depending on the pick #. To me LuJo is worthless, Caps should have given up on him a long time ago.

Agreed on Timmins health, but if he can stay healthy, he would be a decent 6th/7th Dman with Potential (key word) middle pairing ability.

Yeah your half picks are hard to value lol
HughMann413 liked this.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 4:51 p.m.
Yeah your half picks are hard to value lol

Lol. I get it, but without 1/2 picks in this scenario, it gets ugly quick. This example may not be perfect, but I do think it's pretty close. smile
Jul. 21, 2023 at 4:55 p.m.

Caps will be fine with or without him. Just saying they won't pay this price when they can get a chance to sign him in the summer.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 5:04 p.m.

Some posters aren't too bright. You're better off keeping mantha than trading away TWO seconds to dump him
Jul. 21, 2023 at 5:07 p.m.

I understand the trade fine. Nylander still isn't worth 2 1sts and CMM. And draft picks aren't measured in halfs. I'm just going to assume you're trolling at this point
Jul. 21, 2023 at 5:10 p.m.
Edited Jul. 21, 2023 at 5:16 p.m.
I understand the trade fine. Nylander still isn't worth 2 1sts and CMM. And draft picks aren't measured in halfs. I'm just going to assume you're trolling at this point

Says who? You ever talk to an actual NHL GM? I haven't, so who knows the intricate details that get put out there on the trade market. 😉

And yes, Nylander IS worth CMM and 2 1sts. CMM AT best is gonna be a 2B option on the wing, more like a 3rd or 4th liner at best, he will NEVER be a good C in the NHL. I'd also argue that he is a B-minus prospect at best, more like a C prospect. It amazes me how much Caps fans like him.

Nylander is in his prime, Just scored a point per game for two seasons and is only going to get better. Lol. Some of ya'll smile. Thanks for the discussion tho.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:20 p.m.
Caps and Leafs fans on this site (and really every fan tbh) can't ever parse out the very different realities of what a player is actually "worth," how a generic NHL GM values certain roles, and what specific teams will do versus what they should do.

Objectively by any WAR-type stat Nylander is "worth" a whole lot, probably the amount of futures being offered here if not more. I don't really think any fan of any team would dispute that. The problem for the Leafs is that correctly or not, NHL GMs do not value scoring wingers in the last year of their deals that are about to get paid big money quite as highly. This is incredibly obvious from recent trades -- Fiala, DeBrincat (twice), Meier, Bertuzzi, Stone, even some centers like PLD and Eichel. The only player traded recently to get the type of return they are actually close to being "worth" is Tkachuk, an MVP caliber player on a different playing field than all the ones I just listed. NHL GM's probably are also very put off by what has been reported so far as Nylander's (justifiably) massive contract demands.

Finally, there are the team-specific things. Leafs fans need to understand that no matter what he "should" do, BMac has made it abundantly clear through media channels that he is not trading Wilson even for an upgrade in the form of Nylander. Obviously I do not follow Toronto media or rumors as closely, but I assume that the Leafs would like to get back some form of top NHL talent back in a Nylander deal and Caps fans need to understand that as well.

For all of these reasons, I don't really see any trade scenario that makes sense for both teams around Nylander (or Wilson for that matter), especially this one that doesn't really solve anyone's problems.
HughMann413 liked this.
Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:49 p.m.
Quoting: qc14
Caps and Leafs fans on this site (and really every fan tbh) can't ever parse out the very different realities of what a player is actually "worth," how a generic NHL GM values certain roles, and what specific teams will do versus what they should do.

Objectively by any WAR-type stat Nylander is "worth" a whole lot, probably the amount of futures being offered here if not more. I don't really think any fan of any team would dispute that. The problem for the Leafs is that correctly or not, NHL GMs do not value scoring wingers in the last year of their deals that are about to get paid big money quite as highly. This is incredibly obvious from recent trades -- Fiala, DeBrincat (twice), Meier, Bertuzzi, Stone, even some centers like PLD and Eichel. The only player traded recently to get the type of return they are actually close to being "worth" is Tkachuk, an MVP caliber player on a different playing field than all the ones I just listed. NHL GM's probably are also very put off by what has been reported so far as Nylander's (justifiably) massive contract demands.

Finally, there are the team-specific things. Leafs fans need to understand that no matter what he "should" do, BMac has made it abundantly clear through media channels that he is not trading Wilson even for an upgrade in the form of Nylander. Obviously I do not follow Toronto media or rumors as closely, but I assume that the Leafs would like to get back some form of top NHL talent back in a Nylander deal and Caps fans need to understand that as well.

For all of these reasons, I don't really see any trade scenario that makes sense for both teams around Nylander (or Wilson for that matter), especially this one that doesn't really solve anyone's problems.

Very well put. I really don't think a Leafs/Caps Nylander trade is going to happen either, especially without Wilson going to Toronto. But it is fun to speculate. I do think it will cost quite a bit for Nylander. Out of all the players you mentioned, Nylander would be 3rd or 4th best(Behind Tkachuk, Eichel and possibly Stone), so I think Toronto will get a decent haul if they do trade him.

I don't think Nylander @$10mil is that absurd. Would be hard to swallow at the current cap limit, but if the cap goes up $3-$4 mil next year, it won't seem nearly as hefty.

Thanks again for your comment, good to see some sound reasoning and clear communicationsmile
qc14 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll