SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Pittsburgh Penguins

What's wrong with Derrick Pouliot ?!?

Is it time for the back-to-back Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins to move on from this 22yr old top defensive prospect?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 29, 2017 at 9:36 a.m.
Derrick Pouliot is 22 years old. He's had 4 season to crack the Penguins roster, two of which Pittsburgh has won the Stanley Cup, the other 2 where he was Juniors eligible.

He is the Penguins top defensive prospect, is likely going to run $800k or less, and be able to move up or down from the AHL team to fill a spot. The next best option out of AHL seems to be Ruhwedel and Gaunce (if resigned), who are both 27 yrs old, Corrado (24yrs old), and some guy named Benstsson (23yrs old, 172 lbs, and hasn't played N.American hockey) ... none of which have the offensive upside that the Pouliot has at 22yrs old and over 200 lbs.

The Pens currently have Letang, Schultz, Cole, Maata, and Dumoulin on the roster for next season. That leaves the 6th defensive spot to fill. They can hit the Free Agent market and still retain Pouliot for the future, if they don't think he's ready at 22.

So keep him or get rid of him? Is 22 to old for a defensive prospect to crack such a deep defense on a cup defending team? Would it be better for the Penguins to move on from his potential? and for what?

NOTES:

Dumoulin cracked the roster at 24, when their defense was rebuilding, after being passed over by Burtozzo and Despres on the depth chart, who were both traded for more experienced players.

Letang ... at 20, on a team that struggling to make the playoffs, and a fan base that questioned if he were worthy, until around 23, or 2 years AFTER winning a Stanley Cup.

Maatta ... at 19 during a season that had Engelland, Burttozzo, Despres, and Scuderi all playing filling in for Letang and Martin. who both missed most the season, and leading into a year where major pieces of their D was going to become free agents. Namely Niskanin and Orpick.

Cole broke in at 24 or 25, struggling to make STL's roster.
Jun. 30, 2017 at 4:23 p.m.
the major problem with some of these kids is they are so good and so far above the competition at the junior level that they coast. they think they will be just as good without effort at nhl level. seen it before i could have 80% of the player from last 20 drafts. its all about heart all about doing whatever it takes to get to the next level about adjusting ur game each and every year growing each and every year. from all that i have seen pouliot is the exact same player we drafted his game has not grown one bit in 4 yrs, he is older but still same game in 4 yrs he has made little to no improvements. dumoulin has grown leaps and bounds in that time. look at schultz was absolute failure in edmonton he came he and learned from gonchar and look at the growth in his game this last year. im not sure pouliot will ever get it but i still think he could be a servicable call up. during regular season limited minutes. the offensive parts to his game are still good but he defensive accumen hasnt grown one bit still out of position more often then not and still terrible in the corners and the walls. that is the way i see it. but hey he is still young, always hope for him yet but he has his name on the cup 2x i just really question his heart at this point and maybe his ego. thinking he doesnt have to work to get better.
Day liked this.
Jul. 1, 2017 at 6:36 a.m.
Quoting: hockey_GoDz
the major problem with some of these kids is they are so good and so far above the competition at the junior level that they coast. they think they will be just as good without effort at nhl level. seen it before i could have 80% of the player from last 20 drafts. its all about heart all about doing whatever it takes to get to the next level about adjusting ur game each and every year growing each and every year. from all that i have seen pouliot is the exact same player we drafted his game has not grown one bit in 4 yrs, he is older but still same game in 4 yrs he has made little to no improvements. dumoulin has grown leaps and bounds in that time. look at schultz was absolute failure in edmonton he came he and learned from gonchar and look at the growth in his game this last year. im not sure pouliot will ever get it but i still think he could be a servicable call up. during regular season limited minutes. the offensive parts to his game are still good but he defensive accumen hasnt grown one bit still out of position more often then not and still terrible in the corners and the walls. that is the way i see it. but hey he is still young, always hope for him yet but he has his name on the cup 2x i just really question his heart at this point and maybe his ego. thinking he doesnt have to work to get better.

Are you saying this cause you see him play in WBS? Because he hasn't been up long enough this past season (11games ) for me to say either way. He spent the playoffs practicing with the 'Big Boys" and he's taller, but also gained a good 20 pounds since being drafted. He's worked on something to put on that kind of weight.

In all honesty I feel like I can describe Olli Maatta in the same way. "Still out of position more often then not and still terrible in the corners and the walls" and players blow right by him, and no just the good players. It seems like more often then not the post game highlights, which feature the majority of the scoring opportunities for both team, have Maatta failing at something.

Could be that he is working and humble, but just can't get better, or can't crack a roster that hasn't needed him? They gave him a qualifying offer, we'll see who they pick up in free agency and/or trade, which should give an indication of weather he's got a future on the Pens this year or not.
Jul. 1, 2017 at 11:01 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
i would give him another chance.
Jul. 1, 2017 at 8:33 p.m.
yes pretty much u look at de hann isl theodore dumba ceci johns all of them had same style of play as pouliot but they all improved in their own ends over the course of a single year, and yes judging by his play in wbs i havent seen any improvement in his own end. and yes i totally agree about maatta too... he is beat like a rented mule far too often..honestly i think ethan prow is now top defensive prospect. he was unsigned college player
Jul. 2, 2017 at 5:42 a.m.
Prow's only played a few pro games though, and none at the NHL level. He's smaller then Pouliot as well, so he might not be able to make the jump now, not to say Pouliot will/can.

The picked up AHL defense the first day in free agency, and only added 1 NHL defensemen, So unless they add in other moves it looks like their going to fill that 6th defense from with in. I'd love to see them trade with Dallas for Johns and a center ... Dallas seems to have spare D and C laying around, and we have wingers.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 8:27 p.m.
Day
Quoting: Ess
Quoting: hockey_GoDz

Are you saying this cause you see him play in WBS? Because he hasn't been up long enough this past season (11games ) for me to say either way. He spent the playoffs practicing with the 'Big Boys" and he's taller, but also gained a good 20 pounds since being drafted. He's worked on something to put on that kind of weight.

In all honesty I feel like I can describe Olli Maatta in the same way. "Still out of position more often then not and still terrible in the corners and the walls" and players blow right by him, and no just the good players. It seems like more often then not the post game highlights, which feature the majority of the scoring opportunities for both team, have Maatta failing at something.

Could be that he is working and humble, but just can't get better, or can't crack a roster that hasn't needed him? They gave him a qualifying offer, we'll see who they pick up in free agency and/or trade, which should give an indication of weather he's got a future on the Pens this year or not.

It seems from columnists alike that Ollie will be around for awhile. However,. I feel he is the most expendable D on the team. With the injuries, inconsistency, and 4 mil cap hit. That being said, I still think the kid can improve and probably will if he stays injury free. Pouliot seems utterly complacent making his 800k. But, today's 1 year extension I think should put him on notice.. Get your **** together..
Jul. 13, 2017 at 8:42 p.m.
Quoting: Day
Quoting: Ess

It seems from columnists alike that Ollie will be around for awhile. However,. I feel he is the most expendable D on the team. With the injuries, inconsistency, and 4 mil cap hit. That being said, I still think the kid can improve and probably will if he stays injury free. Pouliot seems utterly complacent making his 800k. But, today's 1 year extension I think should put him on notice.. Get your **** together..

Maatta is definitely the most expendable ... add to your list he's a lefty, Isn't as physical as Cole, as Defensive as Dumoulin, as offensive and RH as Schultz and Letang, who are all as good as him defensively. Maatta is a quality NHL defensemen that is still young, has a lot of experience and 2 cups, on a long contract that's pretty darn reasonable as it goes along ... but on Stanley Cup contender I feel his cap hit makes him expendable for PIT but also a commodity for other teams that can't attract players to this kind of deal. The worst on the best team is usually still pretty good.

This is the year Pouliot either shows it or he doesn't. With Letang's injuries and all the back-to-back games this season there's the space to play Pouliot. if he puts up some numbers we can trade him for more then we can right now. Hopefully he plays 30 or more games and puts up 12 or more points and isn't a minus player.
deadfred liked this.
Oct. 29, 2017 at 7:19 a.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Pouliot is gone now to Vancouver. Glad he's out. He's a bust.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit