Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Grading the Marleau Signing

What Mark?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 2, 2017 at 5:48 p.m.
get ur corsi up
I want to shoot myself.

I like having Marleau...... BUT 6.25 MILLION FOR 3 YEARS!!!!!!

We still have to sign Brown and Hyman, in the coming years there is Matthews, Marner, and Nylander!!!!!!!!!!
Jul. 2, 2017 at 7:06 p.m.
Follow CapFriendly
Quoting: DarylthePony
I want to shoot myself.

We still have to sign Brown and Hyman, in the coming years there is Matthews, Marner, and Nylander!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't rate F. It's obviously not ideal to have a 37 y/o signed for 3 seasons. But, Leafs depth on LW is lacking and he can fill it. He also has not missed a game in 8 seasons and still putting up great numbers.
I'll give it a C because of his age and the 3 year term. Would have rated a B if it was for 2 years.
Jul. 2, 2017 at 7:08 p.m.
Quoting: DarylthePony
I want to shoot myself.

Lupul and Horton can go on ltir....year 3 worries me but by then he could be sent to robidas island and might be happy since so much of the contract is bonuses...whatever the case I have no doubt there is a plan in place. Something I haven't been able to say with previous leaf management.
Jul. 2, 2017 at 7:29 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Edited Jul. 2, 2017 at 8:02 p.m. by Jarvis
Quoting: Jarvis

I wouldn't rate F. It's obviously not ideal to have a 37 y/o signed for 3 seasons. But, Leafs depth on LW is lacking and he can fill it. He also has not missed a game in 8 seasons and still putting up great numbers.
I'll give it a C because of his age and the 3 year term. Would have rated a B if it was for 2 years.

Quoting: Duster

Lupul and Horton can go on ltir....year 3 worries me but by then he could be sent to robidas island and might be happy since so much of the contract is bonuses...whatever the case I have no doubt there is a plan in place. Something I haven't been able to say with previous leaf management.

Okay, I feel a bit better now. But it's still pricey.
Jul. 2, 2017 at 8:05 p.m.
wow terrible signing. brown and hyman still to sign to rfa deals 2m over cap WHO goes.. maybe can cash in on bozak or vrd next year half the team is ufa rfa then yr after then big money deal for matthews marner terrible money and term... 4m at 3yrs ok that is reasonable.... but 37 yrs old cant buyout this contract. just put urself in heck of a pickle. they should have gone after kunitz for that veteran winning pedigree he would have been 4th liner who could have moved up and down the lines as needed. 2m 2yrs would have been way better then 3yr 18.75m of marleau....
Jul. 3, 2017 at 12:35 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
probably a D
Jul. 3, 2017 at 2:06 a.m.
I gave it a D figuring it will be like David Clarkson 2.0 or some other bad contract. Marleau was thinking he had it rough in California, wait until he struggles in Canada with that fan base the Leafs have smile. He wont know what hit him when they start breaking down his game all the things he is doing wrong combined with the salary cap hit smile. Also I figure he will probably have 1 decent year if they keep him entire contract. Though his cost will make them lose players even if he does well resulting in a net loss for them.
Jul. 3, 2017 at 5:03 p.m.
Thanks to CapFriendly, you can see the contract is front-loaded so that by July 2 of the 2nd year he could be traded away to a team like ARI for a pick since the actual money owed is significantly less than his cap hit. If Marleau can go 25-25/50 this year than its worth it, also depends a lot on how well the Leafs do as a whole, if they become Atlantic Division Winners it will look a lot better.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit