SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs Trade Coming

Is a Leafs Trade Coming
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 6, 2017 at 11:31 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Being over the cap by 3.9 million and with Brown still needing a contract I think a trade is on it's way.
Jul. 6, 2017 at 11:31 a.m.
get ur corsi up
They could always just trade Komarov and Fehr, and send Martin to the minors or something.
Jul. 7, 2017 at 8:36 p.m.
Quoting: DarylthePony
They could always just trade Komarov and Fehr, and send Martin to the minors or something.

Sure they will try to trade Vegas their guys on LTIR or something heh. Why not do me a favor trade for Dustin Brown smile. They had rumors they would sign him if the Kings didn't overpay him already anyways smile.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 3:57 a.m.
Being over the cap by 3.9 million and with Brown still needing a contract I think a trade is on it's way.

True but this doesn't include Lupul and Hornton who will go to LTIR. 10 million + off the books rights there
Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:30 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: DavidBooth7

True but this doesn't include Lupul and Hornton who will go to LTIR. 10 million + off the books rights there

But that money doesn't come off until the beginning of the season, and we can only go 10% over the cap right now. I think Bozak gets moved, maybe Matt Martin or Eric Fehr
Emoon liked this.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:40 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Quoting: MatthewsMarnerNylander
Quoting: DavidBooth7

But that money doesn't come off until the beginning of the season, and we can only go 10% over the cap right now. I think Bozak gets moved, maybe Matt Martin or Eric Fehr

https://capfriendly.com/articles/39/updated-determining-the-off-season-cap-space-of-the-maple-leafs
Jul. 12, 2017 at 2:04 p.m.
Edited Jul. 12, 2017 at 2:18 p.m.
The day after training camp, Lupul and Horton are on the regular roster while the team faxes in the move to put them on LTIR. During that first day of the season, the Leafs nevertheless have to be cap compliant.

So they have to send guys to the AHL to make room.

Which, depending on signing Brown or a UFA RHD, means they need to send more salary down than they have re-entry waiver exempt players.

So yes, trades are likely but the Leafs might want to wait until they have hard numbers for Brown or remaining UFA signings before they plan on who they want to protect, and have that inform who they will trade.

Maybe Banks can write a post about this waiver dance as Leafs fans don't have experience with it and are behaving like rude conspiracy theorists on the forums, thinking someone is playing a trick on them to steal their fantasy-gm players.

Explanatory link, with CBA reference in comments
Jul. 12, 2017 at 9:05 p.m.
so the Leafs can be at 10% over 82 m during training camp. with the Brown sign they will at about 81 m. 10 mill off Horton and Lupul. about 71m they might be carrying some performance money from this season to next season though.
but the Leafs are cap OK will for 2017/2018. Obviously they can't trade the uninsured contract of horton, but if they want, lupul could be an easy trade to team with cap room, providing he never comes back to play.
why folks thinks the leafs have to send to minors or waive players makes no sense. other teams have had guys on LTIR and it hasn't caused all this waiver hoopla.. its not a rude conspiracy as a leaf fan hater thinks.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 10:11 p.m.
Clark. You can't stay on the LTIR 365 days a year, same deal with AHL players needing to clear waivers even if they never got called up to the NHL. I linked the CBA posted on NHL.com.

Day after training camp, Lupul and Horton would be on the Leafs roster and the team has to fax in the application to place them on LTIR.

This is relevant for 2 reasons:
+ because the Leafs salary is high enough, since they never expected to play Horton or Lupul and in a strategic move they chose not to buy them out.
+ because the Leafs have few players with waiver exemption

Other teams have dealt with this in the past, and the Leafs will manage. But it will require action like sending salary out with Bozak for picks, or sending Lupul and picks. At the same time, it might delay the timing of a RHD addition.
Jul. 13, 2017 at 12:37 a.m.
well if you read the link that banks of cap friendly, all this movement of players is completely irrelevant. players can be placed on LTIR during the summer, and the cap hit to the team reduced. somehow you mention if they leafs "chose not to buy them out" you can't buy out injured players.. period. makes me wonder if know the facts behind LTIR. if the link that banks suggested is correct their is no need for the leafs to "send out salary.'
i'll agree the lupul might be traded because it might affect performance bonuses, but this belief that horton and lupul have to stay on the cap books for the leafs till the the season starts, just not true.
as suggested by someone in a previous post if other players on any team get injured during preseason and that teams close to the cap, they risk losing a player via waivers or trade because a player or two is injured. teams aren't losing players because players are on LTIR.
Jul. 14, 2017 at 10:51 a.m.
Edited Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:12 p.m. by Jarvis
For the second, or third, or fourth time, clark

The trouble is not with the off-season cap. It's the transition time, the 1st day of the season as defined by being the day after training camp ends. Read the CBA example.
Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:13 p.m.
Follow CapFriendly
Quoting: goldie078
For the second, or third, or fourth time, clark

The trouble is not with the off-season cap. It's the transition time, the 1st day of the season as defined by being the day after training camp ends. Read the CBA example.

Did you read this? It has been determined lately that teams can use LTIR during the off-season
https://capfriendly.com/articles/39/updated-determining-the-off-season-cap-space-of-the-maple-leafs
Jul. 28, 2017 at 2:44 a.m.
Quoting: Jarvis
Quoting: goldie078

Did you read this? It has been determined lately that teams can use LTIR during the off-season

They can go above the normal off-season cap -- which was news, all we knew was LTIR & cap disappeared for the playoffs, but not important because if LTIR weren't allowed then the league would not have let them sign Marleau at all -- but as I said they have to do the waiver dance to get players on to LTIR.

Canucks have experience making the most of LTIR, so does Philadelphia with Pronger (who didn't retire to avoid the over 35 cap penalty) https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/7/3/5865615/flyers-salary-cap-pronger-ltir. It doesn't come up often, and the Leafs are something of an extreme example this year.

I just talked about this in a post covering JVR and UFA D in the Armchair GM threads, in response to a Bennett for JVR + Kapanen trade.
Jul. 28, 2017 at 9:53 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
False news again (still). The Leafs do not have to do the waiver dance this fall. You talking about it and especially your trolling of the Leafs, makes it the furthest thing from accurate.
Jul. 28, 2017 at 12:33 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: palhal
False news again (still). The Leafs do not have to do the waiver dance this fall. You talking about it and especially your trolling of the Leafs, makes it the furthest thing from accurate.

?
Jul. 28, 2017 at 5:04 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

?

Why question it. Don't ALL teams get cap relief when players go on LTIR. There seems to be Leaf anxiety for NO reason.
Let's imagine in training Malkin and Crosby lock knees and are out for the season. Are you thinking the the Pens have to carry 19m in dead cap money and unable to make a deal(s) all season or before the season starts?.
There was lot of writing by a anti Leaf troller spewing untruths about the LTIR, just don't believe it. Now if Lupul by miracle comes back, yea there might be cap issues.
Jul. 28, 2017 at 5:41 p.m.
get ur corsi up

?

Why question it. Don't ALL teams get cap relief when players go on LTIR. There seems to be Leaf anxiety for NO reason.
Let's imagine in training Malkin and Crosby lock knees and are out for the season. Are you thinking the the Pens have to carry 19m in dead cap money and unable to make a deal(s) all season or before the season starts?.
There was lot of writing by a anti Leaf troller spewing untruths about the LTIR, just don't believe it. Now if Lupul by miracle comes back, yea there might be cap issues.

Okay true, however were still tight some big names with expiring big names coming soon. However, we have a jam on offense, with someone like Kapanen (who has line 3 potential this coming season) being forced to play line 4. Do to this I could see someone getting traded for a defenseman. We have plenty of forwards and not many defence so a trade for that purpose, not cap purpose would make sense.
Jul. 28, 2017 at 9:21 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Maybe you're right about the defence. But realistically, the Leafs aren't going to get a a top four Dman at this time of year.
Actually the Leafs top 5 is OK. Gardiner, Reilly and Hainsey all NHLers. Zaitsev and Carrick were NHL rookies...maybe they improve. So you (and most folks don't) like Marincin and Marcenko. Most teams don't like their 6th and 7th Dmen either. Go down the lineups of most teams, even contenders, there bottom few Dmen are interchangeable with every one elses.
It seems in LeafLand they think they need a stud dman to win the Cup. Well Pittsburg won the Cup last year with Hainsey logging the most minutes of any Pens Dman. LeafsFans and only Leaf fans get so worried about players on expiring contracts and "they will walk for nothing."
IMO if the Leafs make a trade before October for Dman, the trade will be for as you suggest trading some of excessive forwards for just for Dman. But the Dman won't be that good. Like Miller of Vegas, who have excess of Dmen but lacking forwards. Leivo, Rychel, for Miller.
Jul. 28, 2017 at 9:32 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Maybe you're right about the defence. But realistically, the Leafs aren't going to get a a top four Dman at this time of year.
Actually the Leafs top 5 is OK. Gardiner, Reilly and Hainsey all NHLers. Zaitsev and Carrick were NHL rookies...maybe they improve. So you (and most folks don't) like Marincin and Marcenko. Most teams don't like their 6th and 7th Dmen either. Go down the lineups of most teams, even contenders, there bottom few Dmen are interchangeable with every one elses.
It seems in LeafLand they think they need a stud dman to win the Cup. Well Pittsburg won the Cup last year with Hainsey logging the most minutes of any Pens Dman. LeafsFans and only Leaf fans get so worried about players on expiring contracts and "they will walk for nothing."
IMO if the Leafs make a trade before October for Dman, the trade will be for as you suggest trading some of excessive forwards for just for Dman. But the Dman won't be that good. Like Miller of Vegas, who have excess of Dmen but lacking forwards. Leivo, Rychel, for Miller.

Well we also have to take Dermott into consideration. He will be in contention for a roster spot, he could swap in and out with Marincin on the third pairing.
Jul. 28, 2017 at 9:50 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Daryl. I'm very high on Dermot becoming a good NHL Dman. It's just when.
Jul. 28, 2017 at 9:52 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Daryl. I'm very high on Dermot becoming a good NHL Dman. It's just when.

Personally, I'd love to see him play the full season with us. He'll definitely get a chance this year, but only time will tell if this is his year.
Jul. 30, 2017 at 1:44 p.m.
I would do Leivo + Rychel for Colin Miller, if that can still be arranged at that stage. In fact, Vegas management is as weird as they come, so it's worth giving a phone call and see what they would ask for. It's a small trade that I've advocated all summer, which would give us interesting options and a good L/R balance.

With the current lineup, Dermott will likely have a shot this year. It would be surprising to spend the entire season without a couple injuries at the blue line.
Jul. 30, 2017 at 2:24 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
antonc: I didn't know you had made the same offer I made. sure makes sense for both teams, especially if the Leafs think Miller can be better than Marchenko or as bonus better than Marincin....if only for a year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit