Forums/Armchair-GM

What an actual Huberdeau to Montreal trade would look like

Created by: Campabee
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 29, 2023
Published: Dec. 29, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
For Flames fans trying to move Huberdeau to Montreal, we don't want or need him so he would be a strict cap dump. We don't need to move Anderson or Gallagher to make room so we aren't adding 1sts so just stop adding them from our side. You are the ones that want Huberdeau gone and keep sending him to Montreal like you think we will pay anything you want for him, we'll time to face facts, we don't want him!
Trades
MTL
  1. Huberdeau, Jonathan
  2. 2024 1st round pick (CGY)
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (CGY)
  4. 2025 1st round pick (FLA)
  5. 2025 2nd round pick (CGY)
  6. 2026 1st round pick (CGY)
  7. 2026 2nd round pick (CGY)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the COL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$78,494,583$1,170,000$4,267,500$5,005,417
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$950,000$950,000
RD
RFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 30, 2023 at 12:39 a.m.
Quoting: Dr_Invictus
The general consensus isn't that we can't trade Huberdeau. Obviously we wouldn't do this trade or any other involving Anderson or Gallagher. Dallas was able to retool with Benn and Seguin underperforming.

Calgary's issue is drafting and asset management. Huberdeau's contract is what it is... Making idiotic moves to fix it isn't going to help.

That's precisely my point here, the cost to move his contract outweighs the positives gained. The fans that were suggesting that they could gain highly valuable assets from Montreal simply because they thought the Habs would have to send excess amounts of cap back simply have no idea. If the Habs were looking to take Huberdeau it would strictly be to gain as many high value assets as possible so they wouldn't be looking to send back Gallagher and Anderson, they would be looking to include guys like Armia and Pearson who have less than 2 years term and cost 70+ mil less over their contract lengths. I have already said that the Flames shouldn't be looking to move Huberdeau cause the cost will be too high, they should definitely keep him and hope he finds chemistry with someone and if not try moving him when he doesn't have 7 more years on his deal remaining. This was strictly an exercise to show those Flames fans trading him to Montreal what type of deal they would be looking at since we wouldn't be sending high cost contracts back.
batman and Dr_Invictus liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 12:43 a.m.
Quoting: MoSeider53
Sorry Craig Conroy isn't giving up 3 1st and 3 2nd round picks to move Hubby, No GM is that stupid.

Read what I have said a number of times already

I dont think the Flames should do this, this is just for the Flames fans trying to send Huberdeau to the Habs for high 1st round picks it was just an exercise to show that we don't need to send guys like Anderson and Gallagher back, that the Habs would be more interested in sending back expiring deals or deals with less than 2 years remaining to maximize the return. Of course no GM is gonna make that deal, but if Flames fans are dead set on sending Huberdeau to Montreal then the Habs will maximize the return by sending back less cap and less term
batman liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 1:18 a.m.
fromtherivertothesea
Quoting: NHLfan10506
That’s excessive. How about Huberdeau for Gallagher and Anderson?

yall are never going to understand that gally and anderson are important for us!! they aren't negative value in our eyes. on the market probably yes. gally has been here for YEARS and he's the soul of this team. he's going to stick around. that contract might not be the best but it's okay. i still expect him to be around when we will be competing. Anderson is working hard and it's paying off. Marty and the Fans love him, just look at the ovation he got after breaking his slump. Some of yall are just hating on him cuz yall were tired to see these mock trades involving your team. He's not a bad player, look at how he was playing in the playoffs when we went to the finals.
SomeonesOffended liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 1:21 a.m.
fromtherivertothesea
Quoting: V123
Minors maybe??

Would be kind of disrespectful imo. He's just lacking confidance. I don't think sending him down will help. He can be the player he was, he has the skill. If Hughes doesn't want to send Allen to Laval per respect, i don't think Calgary would. They probably don't have the balls anyways.
SomeonesOffended and V123 liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 2:48 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Montreal isn't well positioned to benefit from Huberdeau for a couple of years, when he'll be 33ish.
When you are paying a player $10.5M until their late 30's, the presumption is that the tail end of the contract is going to be bad value.
You have to get significant benefit from that player in the beginning of the contract to justify those final years.
Not only is he struggling to provide value at the beginning of his contract, whatever value he could provide is wasted on a team that isn't a legitimate contender.

Montreal would be better off using that $10.5M on a player in their prime once their contention window is open. They'll need that cap space in a few years to build up the team and fill holes around the core to make a serious run. They aren't even able to make an informed decision on whether Huberdeau is a fit since they are still identifying what they have in the system.
Regardless of value, Huberdeau simply does not make sense currently.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 6:16 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
That’s excessive. How about Huberdeau for Gallagher and Anderson?

Anderson has 5 goals in his last 5 games. He's on a heater. We'll keep him as he's on a shorter deal.
SomeonesOffended liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.
Quoting: batman
yall are never going to understand that gally and anderson are important for us!! they aren't negative value in our eyes. on the market probably yes. gally has been here for YEARS and he's the soul of this team. he's going to stick around. that contract might not be the best but it's okay. i still expect him to be around when we will be competing. Anderson is working hard and it's paying off. Marty and the Fans love him, just look at the ovation he got after breaking his slump. Some of yall are just hating on him cuz yall were tired to see these mock trades involving your team. He's not a bad player, look at how he was playing in the playoffs when we went to the finals.

I like Gallagher as a person and as a player...and would like to see him succeed.

But Anderson is different story...

In Summer 2022, there were a ton of fake rumors and ACGMs that NJD were making the 2nd overall pick available. There were a wave of DeBrincat rumors, there was talk of JT Miller to NJ, Matthew Tkachuk maybe. But the most pervasive, and most clearly erroneous, was a rumor that NJD wanted to trade Jesper Bratt and #2 overall to Montreal for Josh Anderson. Over a number of weeks, Devils fans saw dozens of these types of trades. We knew Bratt wasn't available and there was little chance we were moving that pick. NJD had Miles Wood at the time, who is basically the same player as Anderson, so it was not really even a role we were seeking. And yet, dozens of offers came and went. After the draft, the Anderson nonsense started to quiet. Then, early on in the 2022-23 season, some loon named Tony Mariano came out and said that Tom Fitzgerald "wants Josh Anderson Badly"...and suggested that he was offering a long list of guys for him (Luke Hughes, Simon Nemec, Alexander Holtz, 1st round picks, etc). So, we see another few weeks of Anderson trades to NJD. Once again the story was completely fabricated by Habs media/fans. A beat reporter covering the Devils confirmed with front office that NJ had never spoken to MTL about Anderson. Not once. Pierre Lebrun later said that one team had offered a high pick for Anderson, but it was NOT New Jersey. (Some believed it was TBL...for Anderson with 50% retention...before they got Jeannot). Yet NJ fans would still see these insane offers for Anderson from Montreal Fans. One even told me the cost for Anderson was "three 1st round picks".

So yes, I will never value Anderson the way Montreal fans do. Nor will I ever understand, or try to understand, why they do. Nor will I ever understand why Habs fans became so susceptible to Anderson-to-NJD rumors that were clearly false to rest of league. Nor will I ever understand why Habs fans were so eager to insult Devils fans for declining their one-sided trades.

It was funny at first. Then a bit annoying. And eventually, it was downright offensive.
batman and Steve_321 liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 10:52 a.m.
I like Gallagher as a person and as a player...and would like to see him succeed.

But Anderson is different story...

In Summer 2022, there were a ton of fake rumors and ACGMs that NJD were making the 2nd overall pick available. There were a wave of DeBrincat rumors, there was talk of JT Miller to NJ, Matthew Tkachuk maybe. But the most pervasive, and most clearly erroneous, was a rumor that NJD wanted to trade Jesper Bratt and #2 overall to Montreal for Josh Anderson. Over a number of weeks, Devils fans saw dozens of these types of trades. We knew Bratt wasn't available and there was little chance we were moving that pick. NJD had Miles Wood at the time, who is basically the same player as Anderson, so it was not really even a role we were seeking. And yet, dozens of offers came and went. After the draft, the Anderson nonsense started to quiet. Then, early on in the 2022-23 season, some loon named Tony Mariano came out and said that Tom Fitzgerald "wants Josh Anderson Badly"...and suggested that he was offering a long list of guys for him (Luke Hughes, Simon Nemec, Alexander Holtz, 1st round picks, etc). So, we see another few weeks of Anderson trades to NJD. Once again the story was completely fabricated by Habs media/fans. A beat reporter covering the Devils confirmed with front office that NJ had never spoken to MTL about Anderson. Not once. Pierre Lebrun later said that one team had offered a high pick for Anderson, but it was NOT New Jersey. (Some believed it was TBL...for Anderson with 50% retention...before they got Jeannot). Yet NJ fans would still see these insane offers for Anderson from Montreal Fans. One even told me the cost for Anderson was "three 1st round picks".

So yes, I will never value Anderson the way Montreal fans do. Nor will I ever understand, or try to understand, why they do. Nor will I ever understand why Habs fans became so susceptible to Anderson-to-NJD rumors that were clearly false to rest of league. Nor will I ever understand why Habs fans were so eager to insult Devils fans for declining their one-sided trades.

It was funny at first. Then a bit annoying. And eventually, it was downright offensive.

That's all well and good but what does any of it have to do with my comment or this thread?!
Dec. 30, 2023 at 11:12 a.m.
Quoting: Campabee
That's all well and good but what does any of it have to do with my comment or this thread?!

I was responding to batman.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 11:16 a.m.
I was responding to batman.

My apologies, the notification said you quoted me, and I didn't read the post you did quote
Dec. 30, 2023 at 7:49 p.m.
Habs fan here. You are delusional.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll