SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Brent Burns or Drew Doughty (Who is Better?)

Who is a Better Player?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 7, 2017 at 1:37 a.m.
I've been wondering who people would vote is a better player from the last 2 Norris Trophy Best D-men in the League Winners... I'm a fan of Burns, he is one of my favorite players on the Sharks, while Drew I think is the Kings best player. Looking at the stats I think Burns would crush him if judge by Goals, Assists, Points, Drew logs a few more minutes a game though. Burns can play forward at an elite level maybe with a chance to score the most goals or lead the league in scoring while Drew can't play forward. So in theory Burns could move to forward, while playing the point on the PP without being a liability like most forwards would be doing that. Him winning the Norris I think removes any doubt he is an elite D-man that was declared the best without doubt while nearly winning the year Drew did placing in the top 3 at worse. I'm sure many will use advanced stats to try to justify who is best so feel free to explain why you think one is better than the other. I'll wait to vote myself, I think either option would be valid, so not dissing anybody who thinks one is better than the other. I'm really interested in knowing why, Drew does have 2 Cups, though Burns is flirting with 30 goals and 80 Points wink... Both will probably make the HOF, Burns having some of hist best years in this early 30's as a D-man is impressive. Almost all his years on the Sharks have been pretty good overall so can't knock him at all on or off the ice. He is really a great guy that I had back in day on a keeper fantasy league knowing he would be a superstar one day smile.
Jul. 7, 2017 at 10:26 a.m.
Doughty is a better 2-way defensemen, while Burns is very offensive minded.

IMO, I'd rather have Doughty than Burns as I feel more comfortable having him on the ice with the game tied late in the 3rd
Jul. 7, 2017 at 11:07 a.m.
get ur corsi up
This all depends on what you value in a defenseman. For example: if you need a D-man that can score goals then Burns is your man, while Doughty is someone who can play hard in your end and prevent the opposition from scoring. I can't really vote for this because they are both skilled in completely different areas. It what makes Team Canada so lethal, they have guys like Burns who can score, and they have guys like Doughty that are pains in the butt for the other teams forwards.
Jul. 7, 2017 at 11:51 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Doughty, i think he's the best d-man in the league.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 12:17 a.m.
I have to say looking at stats Burns is really under rated as a complete player since most focus on the offense. Drew does everything good which makes him great, while Burns has a great shot among other things. Maybe Drew is great when it comes to his conditioning, since he can probably play about 30 minutes a game for a full season. While what I learned watching Everest type shows is a guy Burns size needs more oxygen so its tough to go as long or longer. Looking at stats I found a few things rather interesting, though I'll focus mostly on the last 3 seasons since that is when Burns has been back at Defense. Burns does seem a bit more boom/bust, aggressive, while conservatives probably would prefer Drew Doughty. Taking a bit of a deeper dive into the numbers I found a few interesting things...

1. Drew Doughty has more hits than Burns, a career high of 180, while Burns is 148. Burns only had 69 hits in his Norris year while Drew had 125. Considering their size differences I found this a reason many might prefer Drew over him.

2. Burns blocks more shots than Drew Doughty with a career high of 145 to Drew's 144, Drew had 105 Blocks in his Norris year to Burns having 142. So Brent isn't easy to shoot against with that size and reach.

3. The Giveaway/Takeaway stats might surprise many since Drew had 10 TK to 97 Giveaways almost a 1/10 ratio while Burns Norris year was 52/153 about 1 to 3 ratio of takeaways to giveaways. Burns did have a 61/65 year in Minnesota while having 45/37 his last year playing forward on the Sharks. While Drew has always had more giveaways to takeaways by a fair ratio or margin 174/667 in his career to give an idea.

4. The Corsi (EV) wasn't that different with Drew having 58.1 in his Norris year though only 55.2 this year... Burns had 54.2 this season, he has scored 57.2 compared to Drew at 58.1 rather close if anything.

5. Fenwick (EV) Burns had 54.7 beating Drew at 53.6, having a high of 57.2 compared to Drew's 57.8 which is impressive considering the style of teams they play for smile.

6. Burns team seems to shoot around 8.5% on Sharks or 9% when on Wild compared to Drew's 7.9 (oiSH%), it was 10.6 For Burns 1 year on the Wild too.

7. (oiSV%) is real close with a high of 93.3 for Drew compared to 93 for Burns. The PDO confuses me with Burns having a high of 103 to Drew's 101.6 when on the Wild.

8. Zone Starts are interesting Burns having 58.5/41.5 compared to Drew's career high of 56.4/43.6 which is a big jump from Burns last few years... Though he did score in the 56 range twice prior to this season. While Drew had only broken the 56 aspect once in his career.

9. I don't put much stock in +/- both have about same career high with Burns having 26 to Drew's 24 with 19 in Burns Norris year.

10. Burns has almost 500 points in 879 games compared to Drew having 362 in 688 with 92 Goals to Burns having 170. Drew does have more playoff games having 81 to Burns 64 with 51 Points to 39... He does Beat Burns having 16 Goals to his 12, even though he is a -4 to Burns being a +7. His Shooting Percentage is a 9.7% while Burns is a 5.7%, while its been 8% on the Sharks when Drew is a 6.3% in regular season.

I think if went with just stats it would make Burns better, though Drew does log about 5 more minutes of ice time while being a better player in the Post Season elevating his game if anything. Also Drew has had to play with probably worse players who drag him down or he has to carry. When have Scuderi 2.0, McNabb, Forbort, Robyn Regehr, while best player probably has been Jake Muzzin besides a few other lesser players I omitted from naming. Burns might have a bit of an edge if he is paired with Vlasic or Martin, Braun can eat up about 20 minutes which Drew don't have Voynov anymore who could take 25-30 quality minutes. Burns has really gone to a new level the last few seasons though, while being a good player longer. Drew can produce more offense though I think hie ceiling is about 15-20 goals to 60+ points while Burns I can see getting 30+ with 80 or 90 points which is amazing for not being a defensive liability or 1 dimensional... Drew probably would still be the #1 D-man/pairing if he was on the same team as Burns though to be fair to him. I think they both fit their teams better than if they were on the other team. Like Drew wouldn't be as good on the Sharks, while Burns wouldn't have much behind him as a right shot on Kings though he isn't loaded there on Sharks either... Hopefully Heed can pan out to score to help take some pressure off him. I do think Kings have had better lefty D-men overall with Muzzin, Martinez, Mitchell around their Cup teams to some of the Sharks D-men especially when Vlasic is hurt.
nobody and phillyjabroni liked this.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 12:16 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Well the thing is, Burns is known as an offensive defenseman, but when i watch him, i notice how good defensively he is too.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 11:17 p.m.
Banned
I'd say Doughty
Jul. 8, 2017 at 11:28 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: MartyBrodeur
I'd say Doughty

agreed
Jul. 9, 2017 at 5:32 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Well the thing is, Burns is known as an offensive defenseman, but when i watch him, i notice how good defensively he is too.

Yeah looks like I made a really case for Drew Doughty since it was like 3/3 when did that post then all votes went to him smile. I think him being better in the Post Season really tipped the scales if factor that into equation. Hell I think I even convinced myself since was going to vote for Burns until read what wrote comparing them a few times wink. I'm surprised Drew does give the puck up as much as he does, Burns probably takes so many shots sometimes they lead to turnovers. It is impressive even playing less minutes he does block more shots, he probably can fight better too smile. Stats didn't go as far back with him when it came to the more advanced style, wonder when that started to really be kept track of like 2007ish or earlier...
Jul. 9, 2017 at 8:08 a.m.
Habs
I was appalled by how Brent Burns isn't even close to being the winner. There's a reason he just won the Norris Trophy. He does something that only Erik Karlsson and sometimes Victor Hedman can do. Rarely P.K. Subban, almost never Doughty. He Dominates. The only reason we don't see him defend is because Vlasic and Braun get those assignments. Burns always has the puck and is always creating something.

Drew Doughty is a great player, but doesn't do anything as well as Burns does.
Jul. 9, 2017 at 10:31 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: sloofoot40
I was appalled by how Brent Burns isn't even close to being the winner. There's a reason he just won the Norris Trophy. He does something that only Erik Karlsson and sometimes Victor Hedman can do. Rarely P.K. Subban, almost never Doughty. He Dominates. The only reason we don't see him defend is because Vlasic and Braun get those assignments. Burns always has the puck and is always creating something.

Yeah, Doughty completely changes the game. I think it was fair that Burns won the Norris, though the Norris trophy is just for one season.
Jul. 10, 2017 at 1:25 a.m.
Quoting: sloofoot40

Yeah before I posted the states it was dead even 3/3, so was surprised to see Drew doing so much better... Brent has some stats that started before it looked like they kept advanced ones... He was 12th I think one year in teh Norris Voting when on Wild... Then the last few years he went from like 21st, then 3rd, then 1st... I really thought he should have won the year Drew did, though I'm glad Doughty got it over King Karl. Drew is like having a brother who can do no wrong that parents always blame you for something or punish. For some reason he seems to get away with any flaws in his games or mistakes, while Burns gets no credit or can do no right. Teams scheme to take Burns out of the Playoffs from killing them since the left side don't generate enough offense for Sharks. You got like 12 goals split between Vlasic, Martin who is 36, and Dillon... Dillon had 6 goals 1 year on Dallas than 2 goals each year over like last 3 in San Jose. Braun is good for about 4 goals, while DeMelo had like 1, I think Heed will be able to get closer to 10, take some PP time to help Burns rest to produce better in Post Season. Its like they almost play a shift on Burns at times since they are so worried about his booming shot, every so often he will destroy the Kings like a beast when they play head to head smile.
Jul. 10, 2017 at 1:35 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I don't know why some think Doughty is leaving LA. No way he would.
Jul. 15, 2017 at 8:58 a.m.
Ryne
Duncan Keith >>> both
Jul. 15, 2017 at 1:46 p.m.
Doughty is the better all around defenseman but I would rather have Burns on my team
Jul. 15, 2017 at 2:26 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Sahil2020
Doughty is the better all around defenseman but I would rather have Burns on my team

to me this makes no sense. If Doughty is the better and younger player, why would you rather have Burns?
Jul. 15, 2017 at 2:58 p.m.

to me this makes no sense. If Doughty is the better and younger player, why would you rather have Burns?

who would you rather have : Markelle Fultz or Josh Jackson
Jul. 15, 2017 at 3:06 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni

are these real players?
Jul. 15, 2017 at 3:28 p.m.

are these real players?

yes, they are NBA players
Jul. 15, 2017 at 6:44 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

are these real players?

i don't know much about the NBA. are they good players?
Jul. 15, 2017 at 8:34 p.m.

Doughty is better defensively, But Burns is just too good offensively and he is just one of those players that have that intimidation factor
Jul. 15, 2017 at 8:59 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Doughty is better defensively, But Burns is just too good offensively and he is just one of those players that have that intimidation factor

oh, ok.
Jul. 15, 2017 at 10:31 p.m.

Markelle Fultz went #1 overall in the NBA 2017 Draft. Josh Jackson went 4th.

Jackson is the better all around player, but Futlz is better.
Jul. 15, 2017 at 10:40 p.m.
Quoting: Nicklin3011
Duncan Keith >>> both

If you're talking about 5+ years ago
Jul. 15, 2017 at 10:48 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Markelle Fultz went #1 overall in the NBA 2017 Draft. Josh Jackson went 4th.

Jackson is the better all around player, but Futlz is better.

ok

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit