Forums/Armchair-GM

Time for Jersey to move on from Vanacek

Created by: Wreckless
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 4, 2024
Published: Jan. 4, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Devils will not win in the playoffs unless they upgrade significantly in goals.
Trades
MTL
  1. 2026 2nd round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
+ a prospect
Draft pick is in 2026.
COL
  1. Monahan, Sean
Additional Details:
Salary doesn’t need retention. Colorado has LTIR space.
MTL
  1. 2025 4th round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Pearson, Tanner ($1,625,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Rental at the deadline.
Probably goes for a 3rd or 4th at half salary.
Plus and play with Toffoli.
MTL
  1. Vanecek, Vitek
Additional Details:
Possibly goes on waivers first.
Cap dump.
NJD
    Habs send him to the AHL if he clears waivers.
    Possibly flip him to someone like Chicago who has zero cap issues next year.
    MTL
      Could be a waiver claim.
      CHI
      1. Vanecek, Vitek
      Additional Details:
      Cap dump.
      MTL
      1. 2026 2nd round pick (MIN)
      Additional Details:
      + a prospect
      Draft pick in 2026.
      MIN
      1. Allen, Jake
      Additional Details:
      Keeps Fleury fresh.
      Wild have tons of LTIR space.
      They need a goalie for next year.
      Makes sense on so many levels.
      MTL
      1. 2024 3rd round pick (TBL)
      2. 2025 2nd round pick (TBL)
      TBL
      1. Savard, David
      Additional Details:
      Tampa won a cup with him.
      And they have tons of LTIR room.
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the TBL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the SJS
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the TBL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the DET
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      21$83,500,000$69,800,416$1,170,000$4,252,500$13,699,584
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
      $7,850,000$7,850,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 8
      $7,875,000$7,875,000
      C
      UFA - 7
      $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
      RW, LW
      RFA - 2
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $4,450,000$4,450,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 4
      $775,000$775,000
      RW, LW
      RFA - 1
      $1,700,000$1,700,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      $3,400,000$3,400,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $812,500$812,500
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      $775,000$775,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $4,875,000$4,875,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
      RD
      RFA - 1
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
      LD/RD
      RFA - 2
      $828,333$828,333
      LD/RD
      RFA - 1
      $890,000$890,000
      G
      RFA - 2
      $867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
      LD
      RFA - 2
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      LD/RD
      RFA - 2
      $766,667$766,667
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $950,000$950,000
      RD
      RFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $3,362,500$3,362,500
      C, RW
      RFA - 3
      $10,500,000$10,500,000
      G
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $2,900,000$2,900,000
      C, LW
      RFA - 4
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      LW, RW
      RFA - 2
      $762,500$762,500
      RD
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jan. 4 at 1:45 p.m.
      Wreckless
      Quoting: SociallyHawkward
      History says the only goalies that return a 2nd round pick are elite but old goalies like fleury or elite but has a screw loose goalies like lehner. Allen is the type of goalie that gets a 4th unless a team is desperate, their gm is stupid (edmonton), and there's no other goalies on the market. Then he might return a 3rd.

Time will tell. It’ll be an auction market. For sure Hughes has no problem hanging onto him though. He’s been a really good fit on the ice since he’s been here, and a solid teammate and person at the same time.
      Jan. 4 at 1:47 p.m.
      Wreckless
      It's just not available this season.

I’m not so sure about that. If the GM in jersey is doing his job, he should have multiple logs on the fire at this point. He needs a legit long term solution. Guys with term can be moved, especially if salary retention is involved. I wonder about a guy like Gibson…Anaheim isn’t doing anything, anytime soon.
      Jan. 4 at 1:51 p.m.
      Wreckless
      Quoting: Celtics21
      Based on how aggressive Chicago has been with utilizing cap for value, is a third round pick sufficient to take Vanacek’s two years? I believe he is 3.8m to 4.8m overpaid over that time frame. the balance is NJ can probably keep him as dead cap space OR try to bury him in the AHL. If no one claimed Samsanov or Comrie, they aren’t claiming him.

Pair with Mrazek and get a better pick than you’d expect for Mrazek alone?

I don’t think it would cost too high a pick for Jersey to dump Vanacek, because he can be stashed in the AHL by a team with LTIR space, and you never know, he might find his game again in the off-season, and either way, he can probably be moved at the deadline next year as a rental retaining half his salary and fetch an additional pick.
      Jan. 4 at 1:53 p.m.
      Quoting: Wreckless
      A 2026 2nd is close to a 2024 3rd. Allen probably goes to whoever offers the best draft pick at the deadline. Time will tell what that ends up being. No point making too many assumptions now, probably depends on the injury situations of multiple teams at that point.

FYI. 2024 is supposed to be a lighter depth draft than the next two years.

Once you get past 50 in any draft, it’s a complete crap shoot. This isn’t football. I wouldn’t take 2 late third rounders for 1 late second rounder. A 3rd and a 4th doesn’t equal a second.

Granted, I believe late seconds are a tad overrated as assets too. The percentage hit rate for late second rounders is generally anemic

A good third rounder in the AHL who is performing is worth more than a late 2nd rounder to me as well. Lots of second round picks flame out in the ECHL
      Wreckless and Andy_Dick liked this.
      Jan. 4 at 1:58 p.m.
      I don’t think it would cost too high a pick for Jersey to dump Vanacek, because he can be stashed in the AHL by a team with LTIR space, and you never know, he might find his game again in the off-season, and either way, he can probably be moved at the deadline next year as a rental retaining half his salary and fetch an additional pick.

That’s 4.8m of dead money on your cap over two years if you bury him (daily rates would vary). There is a cost for that and I don’t believe it is a third.

We just saw good players in that salary range traded for well below market value in Beauvellier and Zadorov, because cap room is at a premium. No one is taking that two year contract.

I scoff when Boston fans say they can just trade Grz without retention. To whom? The teams that have cap space are facilitating deals. Taylor Hall was worth a lot more than Regula and Mitchell at the beginning of the year, but Chicago took advantage of cap dynamics (the irony of injury and Regula is actually killing it defensively in Providence)

Curious to see how it plays out, but San Jose and Chicago would seem to be good targets for a dump Vanadek/add a goalie for a late 2nd if you believe this half year is indicative of performance
      Wreckless liked this.
      Jan. 4 at 3:45 p.m.
      I Love J Boqvist
      Based on how aggressive Chicago has been with utilizing cap for value, is a third round pick sufficient to take Vanacek’s two years? I believe he is 3.8m to 4.8m overpaid over that time frame. the balance is NJ can probably keep him as dead cap space OR try to bury him in the AHL. If no one claimed Samsanov or Comrie, they aren’t claiming him.

Pair with Mrazek and get a better pick than you’d expect for Mrazek alone?

I’d still expect Vanacek to get a 2 year 2 mill AAV contract if he hit free agency ngl
      Jan. 4 at 3:48 p.m.
      I Love J Boqvist
      That’s 4.8m of dead money on your cap over two years if you bury him (daily rates would vary). There is a cost for that and I don’t believe it is a third.

We just saw good players in that salary range traded for well below market value in Beauvellier and Zadorov, because cap room is at a premium. No one is taking that two year contract.

I scoff when Boston fans say they can just trade Grz without retention. To whom? The teams that have cap space are facilitating deals. Taylor Hall was worth a lot more than Regula and Mitchell at the beginning of the year, but Chicago took advantage of cap dynamics (the irony of injury and Regula is actually killing it defensively in Providence)

Curious to see how it plays out, but San Jose and Chicago would seem to be good targets for a dump Vanadek/add a goalie for a late 2nd if you believe this half year is indicative of performance

Jersey would take gryz for free with our dougie space
      Jan. 4 at 4:19 p.m.
      Quoting: dgibb10
      I’d still expect Vanacek to get a 2 year 2 mill AAV contract if he hit free agency ngl

I’d expect 1.5M at most after this year and his playoff, which is why I said 3.8 to 4.8. There are some teams who make dumb mistakes all the time. I was amazed that Ottawa gave Korpisalo his money.

Quoting: dgibb10
      Jersey would take gryz for free with our dougie space

Unless it frees up another deal, I see them likely keeping him or swapping for another position. Lohrei has been improving. You still need depth
      dgibb10 liked this.
      Jan. 4 at 4:24 p.m.
      I’m not so sure about that. If the GM in jersey is doing his job, he should have multiple logs on the fire at this point. He needs a legit long term solution. Guys with term can be moved, especially if salary retention is involved. I wonder about a guy like Gibson…Anaheim isn’t doing anything, anytime soon.

I wouldn't consider a league average goalie at best, making over 6 mil for the next 3 seasons a reasonable solution to their goalie problems. Also until gibson demands a trade Anaheim has no reason to treat him as the cap dump he is.
      Jan. 4 at 4:30 p.m.
      If there is one thing that is abundantly clear on this site, it’s that the consensus is often wrong.

The consensus certainly isn't in this case. Outside of MTL there is hardly anybody seems to think Monahan is a good fit for the Avs. Now does that mean GMCM won't have a rush of blood to the head and do something stupid? MTL fans can hope. Doubtful though.
      Jan. 4 at 5:05 p.m.
      I Love J Boqvist
      I’d expect 1.5M at most after this year and his playoff, which is why I said 3.8 to 4.8. There are some teams who make dumb mistakes all the time. I was amazed that Ottawa gave Korpisalo his money.

Unless it frees up another deal, I see them likely keeping him or swapping for another position. Lohrei has been improving. You still need depth

He’s young enough and teams are willing to take enough low down wise risks (due to goalie volatility) that I’m sure someone like Chi would take a shot at 2 mill.
      Jan. 4 at 6:23 p.m.
      Wreckless
      I wouldn't consider a league average goalie at best, making over 6 mil for the next 3 seasons a reasonable solution to their goalie problems. Also until gibson demands a trade Anaheim has no reason to treat him as the cap dump he is.

I’m not saying I’m sold on Gibson either, but my point is that Jersey needs to have a plan, about who they want to build around for the next 5-6 years. Some goalies fit certain systems where others don’t. I don’t have any kind of opinion on who should fit what their long term plan is. But they absolutely need to have multiple coals on the fire right now, cuz their current situation in nets for the foreseeable future is garbage right now. Vanacek didn’t work. Time to move on.
      SociallyHawkward liked this.
      Jan. 4 at 6:28 p.m.
      Banned
      Quoting: M96N29
      COL has had ample opportunity to bring in Monahan if they wanted. They haven't.

Russia has had ample time to invade Ukraine since 2014. They haven't.

-The year 2021

Monahan was always going to be a trade deadline day move for cap space reasons. So your point is moot.

He has no point. Just word vomit.
      Wreckless liked this.
      Jan. 4 at 6:29 p.m.
      Wreckless
      Quoting: TJTwolf
      The consensus certainly isn't in this case. Outside of MTL there is hardly anybody seems to think Monahan is a good fit for the Avs. Now does that mean GMCM won't have a rush of blood to the head and do something stupid? MTL fans can hope. Doubtful though.

« Certainly » eh? Interesting. Colorado has possibly traded more with the Habs than any other team since moving from Quebec. Colorado doesn’t have any of the early cups without Roy. Arguably doesn’t win the cup last time without Lehkonen. Monahan is light years better than Drouin. Teams add depth at the deadline.
      Relax man…maybe it happens, maybe it doesn’t.
      Celtics21 and Andy_Dick liked this.
      Jan. 4 at 6:31 p.m.
      Wreckless
      Quoting: Andy_Dick
      Russia has had ample time to invade Ukraine since 2014. They haven't.

-The year 2021

He has no point. Just word vomit.

It’s special kind of person where probably their largest pleasure of the day is to go online and dump on other people’s ideas…
      Jan. 4 at 6:35 p.m.
      Banned
      « Certainly » eh? Interesting. Colorado has possibly traded more with the Habs than any other team since moving from Quebec. Colorado doesn’t have any of the early cups without Roy. Arguably doesn’t win the cup last time without Lehkonen. Monahan is light years better than Drouin. Teams add depth at the deadline.
      Relax man…maybe it happens, maybe it doesn’t.

Not one Avs fans here called Lehkonen going there for more than a 3rd or didnt want him at all. So..there ya go. And they wanted nothing to do with Drouin at any cost. Jo signs with them in the offseason. Fans here act like they have any say at all in Sakic's thinking. Truly pathetic. They have zero clue about their team and constantly prove it ad nauseum.
      Wreckless liked this.
      Jan. 4 at 6:40 p.m.
      Banned
      FYI. 2024 is supposed to be a lighter depth draft than the next two years.

Once you get past 50 in any draft, it’s a complete crap shoot. This isn’t football. I wouldn’t take 2 late third rounders for 1 late second rounder. A 3rd and a 4th doesn’t equal a second.

Granted, I believe late seconds are a tad overrated as assets too. The percentage hit rate for late second rounders is generally anemic

A good third rounder in the AHL who is performing is worth more than a late 2nd rounder to me as well. Lots of second round picks flame out in the ECHL

The draft is pretty weak outside 2, 3 sure things, really. Most of the top 10 are defenceman with real warts that probably dont go top 20 in last year's draft. I see a lot of 1st rounds picks being offered with so few sellers this year (5 teams?) and a ton of teams in contention.

Picks outside the top20 are most years long shots to even be NHL regulars. Depending on which team offers said 1st round pick (hello Chychrun trade) 1sts have a big swing in value, accordingly.
      Wreckless liked this.
      Jan. 4 at 7:01 p.m.
      Quoting: Andy_Dick
      The draft is pretty weak outside 2, 3 sure things, really. Most of the top 10 are defenceman with real warts that probably dont go top 20 in last year's draft. I see a lot of 1st rounds picks being offered with so few sellers this year (5 teams?) and a ton of teams in contention.

Picks outside the top20 are most years long shots to even be NHL regulars. Depending on which team offers said 1st round pick (hello Chychrun trade) 1sts have a big swing in value, accordingly.

There is a point in the first round where you go from 75 percent probability to be a regular to about 35 percent after a certain pock. I still can’t believe Gabe Perrault dropped to 22.

Most late first rounders are AHL all star types. When you hit, it’s great, but CSB scouting reports past 20 to 25 are fascinating. I’ve watched a lot junior hockey and read Corey Pronmon’s reports and sometimes wonder if we are watching the same sport. I appreciate the thoroughness, but I think some GM’s are playing him for value manipulation
      Andy_Dick and Wreckless liked this.
      Jan. 4 at 7:05 p.m.
      Playoffs, not regular season. You need 4 lines to win a cup.

The Devils don't have a 4th line for scoring, the top three lines should be doing that. The Devils need big bodies that just wear down teams.

You also said to play with Toffoli...Why?
      Jan. 4 at 7:06 p.m.
      Banned
      There is a point in the first round where you go from 75 percent probability to be a regular to about 35 percent after a certain pock. I still can’t believe Gabe Perrault dropped to 22.

Most late first rounders are AHL all star types. When you hit, it’s great, but CSB scouting reports past 20 to 25 are kind of useless,

The chances of getting a star player outside the top21 are 7% going back about 40 years of data. Its a back roster player value or a miracle.
      Wreckless liked this.
      Jan. 4 at 7:07 p.m.
      I’m not a Devils fan. They can go after whoever they want. I’m tired of Devils fans coming here saying “we don’t want Allen.” The main point is that there’s enough data on Vanacek now.
      He’s not a fit. They need to upgrade.

No argument VV isn't the guy, but you have to admit, it's kind of silly to make a post of moving on from someone and not showing an option. The fact is right now, the goalie options out there stink. TOR, CAR, and NJD all need a goalie, but there is not sure fill spot. Allen isn't any more trustworthy than trying out Daws from the minors right now. If no options are great, why pay for something that may be just as bad?
      Jan. 4 at 7:11 p.m.
      Wreckless
      Quoting: NJDevils1317
      The Devils don't have a 4th line for scoring, the top three lines should be doing that. The Devils need big bodies that just wear down teams.

You also said to play with Toffoli...Why?

Offensive exploitation situations. Have solid checkers on your 4th line. Who cares which number you give to which line though.
      Jan. 4 at 7:15 p.m.
      Wreckless
      Quoting: NJDevils1317
      No argument VV isn't the guy, but you have to admit, it's kind of silly to make a post of moving on from someone and not showing an option. The fact is right now, the goalie options out there stink. TOR, CAR, and NJD all need a goalie, but there is not sure fill spot. Allen isn't any more trustworthy than trying out Daws from the minors right now. If no options are great, why pay for something that may be just as bad?

My point was that the Habs can likely be a team who can accommodate if the Devils want to dump Vanacek. I just didn’t want the usual Devils « fan » commentary saying they didn’t want Allen, or Primeau, or whoever else, to dominate the comments on this post. Or to complain about how much it might cost to dump that contract. I do think the Devils should have interest in Pearson as a depth option. He’ll be healthy come deadline time. My post was to opine on what I think the Habs might do, rather than trying to express what I think is certainty of what the Devils will do.
      Jan. 4 at 7:16 p.m.
      I’m not saying I’m sold on Gibson either, but my point is that Jersey needs to have a plan, about who they want to build around for the next 5-6 years. Some goalies fit certain systems where others don’t. I don’t have any kind of opinion on who should fit what their long term plan is. But they absolutely need to have multiple coals on the fire right now, cuz their current situation in nets for the foreseeable future is garbage right now. Vanacek didn’t work. Time to move on.

I struggle with treating all goalies the same and acquisition by minimization of cost. This is your one major weakness. Why not try to target the specific players you think fit your system. My hope is you would be down to 2 and pursuing.
      Jan. 4 at 9:18 p.m.
      Wreckless
      I struggle with treating all goalies the same and acquisition by minimization of cost. This is your one major weakness. Why not try to target the specific players you think fit your system. My hope is you would be down to 2 and pursuing.

My post was on the Habs side of things. I think Allen would be a fit there, but I don’t really want to get into another discussion with Devils fans arguing the merits.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll