Forums/Armchair-GM

Trade TBL

Created by: Shibbal18
Team: 2017-18 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 8, 2017
Published: Jul. 8, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Gives Tampa 5 Mill extra to sign their would be 3 NHL RFA's (Palat, Johnson, and the acquired Beaulieu). I dont think Guhle is ready but at this point he would be best available. Sabres shouldn't have cap issues, but Moulson can be bought out for not much of a penalty as well as Pominvile and if need be, Callahan. Pominville and Callahan though would actually be decent for the Sabres. I'm well aware Callahan has had 2 really bad season, but he's not far removed from some 20+ goal seasons, that is the only reason i have him slotted on the second line. If he starts out trash again, he can just slide down the lineup. This gives the Sabres 4, potentially, really solid lines and a greatly improved defense
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,150,000
1$4,750,000
2$787,500
Trades
TBL
  1. Bogosian, Zach
Additional Details:
The rights to Nathan Beaulieu
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,000,000$63,521,667$0$6,850,000$11,478,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$718,333$718,333 (Performance Bonus$60,000$60K)
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$670,000$670,000 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RW
UFA - 1
$1,475,000$1,475,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,600,000$5,600,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 5
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
LD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 8, 2017 at 7:35 p.m.
Overall I feel like Buffalo takes a big step back here. I don't know why we would trade for Beaulieu only to immediately get rid of him for older, more expensive players. It's good that Bogosian's contract is gone, but you're paying way more by taking on both Stralman & Callahan, and to me we just got rid of our Callahan in Ennis. Callahan and Stralman have several years left on their contracts and we've still got Pominville and Moulson to worry about, not to mention Eichel, Kane and Reinhart getting big contracts soon!
GMTD liked this.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 7:46 p.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: ADTR55
Overall I feel like Buffalo takes a big step back here. I don't know why we would trade for Beaulieu only to immediately get rid of him for older, more expensive players. It's good that Bogosian's contract is gone, but you're paying way more by taking on both Stralman & Callahan, and to me we just got rid of our Callahan in Ennis. Callahan and Stralman have several years left on their contracts and we've still got Pominville and Moulson to worry about, not to mention Eichel, Kane and Reinhart getting big contracts soon!

I value Stralman over Beaulieu. Plus with Beaulieu immediately taking the Sabres to arbitration, that has me worried he has little interest playing in Buffalo. Botterill knows his value, so I doubt he low balled him. Callahan provides more than Ennis could, even if he's not scoring. If you check the long-term cap hit they're actually not in bad shape. Sabres dont need to bring Kane back, and I'm not sure he wants to come back. Moulson can be bought out, if Callahan is absolutely terrible, he has a really good contract in regards to being bought out after this season. Cap hit is not an issue, and they end up with Stralman. Even if he plays terrible, he'd be as good as Bogosian, with a smaller cap hit and less years.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 8:02 p.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18

I value Stralman over Beaulieu. Plus with Beaulieu immediately taking the Sabres to arbitration, that has me worried he has little interest playing in Buffalo. Botterill knows his value, so I doubt he low balled him. Callahan provides more than Ennis could, even if he's not scoring. If you check the long-term cap hit they're actually not in bad shape. Sabres dont need to bring Kane back, and I'm not sure he wants to come back. Moulson can be bought out, if Callahan is absolutely terrible, he has a really good contract in regards to being bought out after this season. Cap hit is not an issue, and they end up with Stralman. Even if he plays terrible, he'd be as good as Bogosian, with a smaller cap hit and less years.

I didn't read too much into Beaulieu and the arbitration. Larsson also filed for it and he just re-signed so I guess it depends on the guy. But if Kane isn't here long-term, I worry about our LW situation. Outside of Nylander and maybe Mittelstadt (has played LW before), I'm not sure if the Sabres have anyone that can produce at the rate Kane did (at least how he scored last season). They'd have to bring someone else in, but there won't be too much money available to sign someone, even if they do buy people out. I've also never seen Baptiste at LW before, do you think he might have a future there?
GMTD liked this.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 8:09 p.m.
Banned
Awful trade. Callahans contract is worse than bogosian and beaulieu is much younger, cheaper and has upside. Just terrible
GMTD liked this.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 8:12 p.m.
Shibbal18

I didn't read too much into Beaulieu and the arbitration. Larsson also filed for it and he just re-signed so I guess it depends on the guy. But if Kane isn't here long-term, I worry about our LW situation. Outside of Nylander and maybe Mittelstadt (has played LW before), I'm not sure if the Sabres have anyone that can produce at the rate Kane did (at least how he scored last season). They'd have to bring someone else in, but there won't be too much money available to sign someone, even if they do buy people out. I've also never seen Baptiste at LW before, do you think he might have a future there?

Bailey has played LW, Baptiste i dont know but he has played the big body role on a line with McDavid so he may be comfortable with that, even on the LW. I think Nylander will produce just as well as Kane did anyway, so I'd rather just cut ties.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 8:16 p.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: grovercleveland
Awful trade. Callahans contract is worse than bogosian and beaulieu is much younger, cheaper and has upside. Just terrible

Well thats just not true at all. Bogosian is not an NHL talent, Callahan can provide much more to the Sabres than him, even if he score at last years pace. Also as I explained, I value Stralman more than Beaulieu. Stralman still has some good years ahead of him, and if he's garbage, will just be a cheaper Bogosian with less years. Sabres have some good D talent anyway that can replace him in a couple of years.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 9:49 p.m.
This is a horrid trade for Tampa. Callahan' contract is bad, but so is bogosian's. Stralman is a top pair guy, whereas beaulieu could hardly crack Montreal's roster, and was traded for a third rounder. Tampa's defence would be crap after this trade
Jul. 8, 2017 at 10:48 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: grovercleveland

Well thats just not true at all. Bogosian is not an NHL talent, Callahan can provide much more to the Sabres than him, even if he score at last years pace. Also as I explained, I value Stralman more than Beaulieu. Stralman still has some good years ahead of him, and if he's garbage, will just be a cheaper Bogosian with less years. Sabres have some good D talent anyway that can replace him in a couple of years.

So Bogo is not an NHL talent? Then why would Tampa make a trade for a player who is not an NHL talent.
You have three comments about what a terrible trade, willing to let Kane walk and buy out a player who led your team in PPG and had the 3rd lowest +/- among sabres who played 70 or more games
just accept the fact that you made a bad deal and a poor decision to let Kane walk.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 11:03 p.m.
Banned
Tampa are the clear losers in that deal
StammerTime liked this.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 11:26 p.m.
I thought Bogosian was alright for BUF, ideally maybe you're paying 4 instead of 5.1, but over the last 4 years he's averaged 59 GP.
Gudbranson is his doppleganger, Also drafted #3 overall, 2 years later. Good in the locker room. Plays tough. Suits up for about 60 games per season.
brb, going to see how Winnipeg did the trade

I wonder if we'll see Eichel and Reinhart get extensions this summer alongside Lehner and Girgensons. If we don't, then there's a plan for a trade waiting to happen.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 11:49 p.m.
If it makes you feel better, Tyler Myers had a similar long contract that costs 5.5. He's not doing much better with stats. Average 54 GP over last 4 seasons.

Assume Myers and Bogosian were a simple swap.

Evander Kane, same trade, then brought 2 future top 6 fwds and 2 4th liners
Brendan Lemieux (2014 2nd rounder, LW)
2015 1st (25th overall, Jack Roslovic, RC)
Stafford (then current 4th liner)
Armia (prospect 4th liner)
GMTD liked this.
Jul. 9, 2017 at 6:36 a.m.
Eichel Tower

Bailey has played LW, Baptiste i dont know but he has played the big body role on a line with McDavid so he may be comfortable with that, even on the LW. I think Nylander will produce just as well as Kane did anyway, so I'd rather just cut ties.

Just because someone is pressed into playing a wing does not mean that is his best position. Although I think Bailey and Baptiste will be good players, IMO management is looking to win this year, Nylander is a project and is at least 2 years away while Bailey & Baptiste are one or maybe at the end of this year.
Jul. 9, 2017 at 7:04 a.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: goldie078
If it makes you feel better, Tyler Myers had a similar long contract that costs 5.5. He's not doing much better with stats. Average 54 GP over last 4 seasons.

Assume Myers and Bogosian were a simple swap.

Evander Kane, same trade, then brought 2 future top 6 fwds and 2 4th liners
Brendan Lemieux (2014 2nd rounder, LW)
2015 1st (25th overall, Jack Roslovic, RC)
Stafford (then current 4th liner)
Armia (prospect 4th liner)

You are correct about the current assessment of the players the Jets received, and at the time of the trade I felt it was a very fair exchange of talent. But their projected contributions when the trade was made were very different.
Armia was projected to be a top 6 forward and may get there he has shown improvement.
The average games Meyers played is unfair. He only played 11 games last year. The 2 previous years he played 71 and 73 games as a top 2 defense-man scoring 28 and 27 pts respectively.
At the time of the trade Stafford played 2nd line minutes scoring 19 pts in just 28 games the 1st year and 38 pts (21g) last year, he fell off of a cliff this year.
Lemieux is a dud, will probably never get to the NHL and should not have been drafted when there were much better players available (Ivan Barbashev, Brayden Point, Nikita Tryamkin for example).
The 1st we will need to wait and see.
Typically when a top line player is traded it is for another top 6 forward or a top 4 d-man, a prospect and a 1st. Stafford was the top 6 forward, Armia and Lemieux were the prospects and the 1st.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll