SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Los Angeles Kings

How Will Vilardi Compare to other 11th Overall Picks?

Jul. 8, 2017 at 10:25 p.m.
I'll start by saying some of my favorite players were taken 11th overall in Jeff Carter and Jeff Friesen smile. I guess if your name is Jeff taken 11th overall I'm going to be a fan or will end up playing in California. I wont go to the more recent drafts though Fiala from Predators might pan out alright its still too early to tell with him or others taken after 2013. Here is a list going back to 1980 to give an idea who has been taken or how might compare to them.

2013 Samuel Morin D Rimouski (QMJHL) Philadelphia Flyers
2012 Filip Forsberg W Leksands (Swe) Washington Capitals
2011 Duncan Siemens D Saskatoon (WHL) Colorado Avalanche
2010 Jack Campbell G U-18 NTDP Dallas Stars
2009 Ryan Ellis D Windsor (OHL) Nashville Predators
2008 Kyle Beach C Everett (WHL) Chicago Blackhawks
2007 Brandon Sutter C Red Deer (WHL) Carolina Hurricanes
2006 Jonathan Bernier G Lewiston (QMJHL) Los Angeles Kings
2005 Anze Kopitar C Sodertalje Jrs (Sweden) Los Angeles Kings
2004 Lauri Tukonen RW Blues (FNL) Los Angeles Kings
2003 Jeff Carter C Sault-Ste.-Marie Greyhounds (OHL) Philadelphia Flyers
2002 Keith Ballard D U. of Minnesota (NCAA) Buffalo Sabres
2001 Fredrik Sjostrom RW Vastra Frolunda HC Goteborg (SEL) Phoenix Coyotes
2000 Pavel Vorobiev RW Yaroslavl Torpedo (Russia) Chicago Blackhawks
1999 Oleg Saprykin LW Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) Calgary Flames
1998 Jeff Heerema RW Sarnia Sting (OHL) Carolina Hurricanes
1997 Jason Ward RW Erie Otters (OHL) Montreal Canadiens
1996 Dan Focht D Tri-City Americans (WHL) Phoenix Coyotes
1995 Jarome Iginla RW Kamloops Blazers (WHL) Dallas Stars
1994 Jeff Friesen LW Regina Pats (WHL) San Jose Sharks
1993 Brendan Witt D Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) Washington Capitals
1992 David Cooper D Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL) Buffalo Sabres
1991 Brian Rolston LW Detroit Compuware (NAHL) New Jersey Devils
1990 Trevor Kidd G Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) Calgary Flames
1989 Mike Sillinger C Regina Pats (WHL) Detroit Red Wings
1988 Chris Govedaris LW Toronto Marlboros (OHL) Hartford Whalers
1987 Yves Racine D College Francais (QMJHL) Detroit Red Wings
1986 Scott Young RW Boston University (NCAA) Hartford Whalers
1985 Dave Manson D Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Chicago Blackhawks
1984 Sylvain Cote D Quebec Remparts (QMJHL) Hartford Whalers
1983 Adam Creighton C Ottawa 67's (OHL) Buffalo Sabres
1981 Randy Moller D Lethbridge Broncos (WHL) Quebuc Nordiques
1980 Mike Blaisdell RW Regina Pats (WHL) Detroit Red Wings

I'll start from the bottom up, Creighton had a few good years, he was part of a big trade for the Islanders last legit run at a SCF that NHL made sure wouldn't happen. They did beat the Penguins with Turgeon hurt on the David Volek OT goal who Al Arbour kept on team against owners wishes. Ending any dispute he was the best NHL coach ever beating Bowman who had a superior team in the Penguins... Mike Sillinger is somebody I could see Vilardi stacking up with who is likely to be a 20+ goal scorer with like 40 assists for his production. Sillinger played on a few teams, not a superstar though a solid player for most of his career if nothing else. Jeff Carter one of my favorite players who is a Franchise Center responsible for Kings having 2 Cups if anybody deserves the credit wink. He had some nice years on the Flyers before becoming a complete player who could play on PK as well as PP on the Kings so this would be about the best possible result though I don't think Vilardi will be as good a goal scorer. Anze Kopitar managed to get the Kings to pay him 10M in cap hit a year so it worked out for him netting only 12 goals as captain smile. He was on 2 Cup teams watching Carter among others show him what it takes to be a champion. I wouldn't be shocked if Vilardi became better than him in that he will likely have more assists than goals. Though I expect him to be more a 2nd or 3rd line center than somebody who might be a 1st line Center that wins a Selke award smile. I left out Brandon Sutter who had his moments so that wouldn't be the worst player to become either just for the record wink.

Left Wingers Brian Rolston was pretty good, so if he can be as productive as him it would be a pretty solid pick. Jeff Friesen is the only player I have a jersey of #39 on the Sharks. He was a critical element to the Stanley Cup of the Devils so hopefully Vilardi will be clutch in the Post Season too... IF he can be another Jeff Friesen type player that would make the pick pan out pretty well to say the least smile.

Right Wingers Jerome Iginla is still playing so would say that was a pretty good pick smile. He might never score as many goals as him though its a good sign to be taken in the same slot. I'm sure teams passed up Iginla for 1 reason or another back then. Forsberg shooots right so will list him as a RW, he worked out pretty well for Nashville though don't know if Vilardi will be scoring 30 or more goals ever.

Defense I always liked Dave Manson who would be pretty good in the video game on the Winnipeg Jets... I'd play with my friend at times to win the Stanley cup for them in the season mode EA NHL games used to have. He had a real powerful shot in the video game was always a player that liked for the most part and tough. Ryan Ellis is probably one of the most under rated right shot D-men who can score 16 goals or so which is pretty good to say the least. Hopefully Vilardi will score more than him, though those are two pretty high quality players who went 11th overall smile.

Goalies There only been like 3 Trevor Kidd hehe, Bernier is probably the best taken in that slot though failed to be the Kings Starter losing to Quick. Campbell another guy who ironically enough ended up on the Kings wasn't able to even perform at AHL level in Post Season crying about some injury smile. Moral of the story is be wary of taking a goalie with this pick as it might be a bust or not quite pan out as hoped smile.

Kings drafting 11th overall botched it badly taking Tukonen, hopefully Vilardi will be better than Kopitar or least better than Tukonen or Bernier worked out for them going 11th smile. Other then players mentioned pretty much all those 11th round picks look like busts or nothing to write home about unless some younger players taken around 2013 pan out better. On the bright side about 5/6 of the Centers taken 11th overall have panned out pretty well in their careers. I'm not sure what will become of Kyle Beach though not expecting him to be as good as the others listed at Center if nothing else smile. Those listed at RW on the chart have not done well other than Iginla or if count Forsberg smile. Probably wont know much for another 2-3 years though its fun to compare to the past wondering what the future might hold smile.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll