Forums/Armchair-GM

Elliotte Friedman says kings looking to add a goalie Maybe Allen

Created by: Wreckless
Team: 2023-24 Los Angeles Kings
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 19, 2024
Published: Jan. 19, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Do the kings have any contracts you guys want to get rid of?
Trades
MTL
  1. 2025 2nd round pick (LAK)
Retained Salary Transactions
Termination Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$81,221,667$0$4,795,000$2,278,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$7,875,000$7,875,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,200,000$4,200,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
UFA - 8
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$875,000$875,000
RW
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,875,000$5,875,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LD
UFA - 8
$3,150,000$3,150,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$875,000$875,000
G
UFA - 1
$820,000$820,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,675,000$1,675,000
C
RFA - 1
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 19 at 3:59 p.m.
Wreckless
Quoting: dgibb10
The devils would likely be looking at it as a similar value swap

Allen been better this year
Vitek better last year
Vitek better the year before that
Vitek cheaper
Vitek younger
Vitek more upside

They can hope, but for my money, this is the easiest bet to make out there. Allen gets traded for value. And the Devils have to pay to unload Vitek’s contract.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 19 at 4:05 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Wreckless
They can hope, but for my money, this is the easiest bet to make out there. Allen gets traded for value. And the Devils have to pay to unload Vitek’s contract.

I don’t see a team out there who’s going to see 4 million dollar Jake Allen as a +ve value contract tbh

Both of them are cap dumps imo
Jan. 19 at 4:07 p.m.
Banned
“Better living through chemistry”. It’s Wellbutrin and Concerta for me 👍

Concerta and ritalin do little for me unless snorted. Vyvanse when I'm in a certain mood. I had problems with adderall when abroad. Became a tad too dependent.

Tramadol rn. Banned in Canada last year. 2021 and still effective. Sometimes, i feel like I should Matthew Perry my way into open houses and raid the cabinets of the elderly lmao

We have these receptors in our brains. May as well use them as many as you please. And the recovery of the brain and body is quite outstanding if you can micro dose through your issues.
Wreckless liked this.
Jan. 19 at 4:10 p.m.
Wreckless
I don’t see a team out there who’s going to see 4 million dollar Jake Allen as a +ve value contract tbh

Both of them are cap dumps imo

I agree that Allen’s stats look that way. But then you have to factor in that we’ve been playing with 4-5 rookie defenseman every single night for two straight years…
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 19 at 4:11 p.m.
Banned

Because perception matters. Allen as a Cup winner and a guy that literally destroyed the Wild season on his own is far more impressive than flaking out game 1 in a playoff series. Vanecek has proven little. Pedigree matters. Calling Vanecek the same is truly biased.
Wreckless liked this.
Jan. 19 at 4:12 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I agree that Allen’s stats look that way. But then you have to factor in that we’ve been playing with 4-5 rookie defenseman every single night for two straight years…

If Allen sucks in front of rookie dman that means he’ll no on the devils. Currently 4 rookie dmen in the lineip
Jan. 19 at 4:24 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Andy_Dick
Because perception matters. Allen as a Cup winner and a guy that literally destroyed the Wild season on his own is far more impressive than flaking out game 1 in a playoff series. Vanecek has proven little. Pedigree matters. Calling Vanecek the same is truly biased.

“Allen as a cup winner”

Yeah he was real helpful in that run with that 1 game, 3 saves and 1 goal against.

That Minnesota series was SEVEN YEARS ago.

It legitimately means nothing.

Yeah perception matters.

Vanacek has played at a quality starter level as recently as last year.

Allen hasn’t in more than half a decade
Jan. 19 at 4:27 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I don't have the data to support this observation, but Allen is starter quality after the first 5-10 minutes of a game.
For whatever reason he tends to allow a quick first goal before settling in. Perhaps a side effect of not getting enough starts.
Jan. 19 at 6:06 p.m.
Montembeault is young and still developing. Needs to play. Allen doesn’t need to develop anymore. I agree with Andy, it’s all about team system. And what Allen brings you will fit well on most contending teams. Regarding those stats for the kings goalies, don’t count on that in the playoffs.

If you have at all watched Allen this season, I sincerely can't understand how you see him as a legit upgrade for a team trying to go deep in the playoffs. He can't even steal starts from a young/developing goalie who is wholly outplaying him. If you legitimately think Allen is good for a team trying to make the playoffs, that is exactly what the Habs plan is next season, so it seems like you are good keeping him.
Jan. 19 at 6:08 p.m.
Quoting: Andy_Dick

Won a cup in which through every series where he played one sole game*

If you guys are so high on him, keep him. I honestly would be upset if Blake took him off waivers. I watch enough Habs games, you guys are trying to sell fools gold.
Jan. 20 at 3:35 p.m.
Wreckless
If Allen sucks in front of rookie dman that means he’ll no on the devils. Currently 4 rookie dmen in the lineip

Currently. Vs. For two straight years.

Apples. Oranges.
Jan. 20 at 3:36 p.m.
Wreckless
“Allen as a cup winner”

Yeah he was real helpful in that run with that 1 game, 3 saves and 1 goal against.

That Minnesota series was SEVEN YEARS ago.

It legitimately means nothing.

Yeah perception matters.

Vanacek has played at a quality starter level as recently as last year.

Allen hasn’t in more than half a decade

1A 1B, Bennington got crazy hot. They’re comparable overall. Blues didn’t have the cap space to keep both. Chose Binnington. For obvious reasons.
Jan. 20 at 3:39 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
1A 1B, Bennington got crazy hot. They’re comparable overall. Blues didn’t have the cap space to keep both. Chose Binnington. For obvious reasons.

I don’t deny Allen was a good goalie back in those blues days (half a decade ago)

I’m denying the claim that people around the league view him as a “cup winner”.

That cup was won on the back of Jordan Binnington. Allen played 1 game, made 3 saves and let in a goal.

I don’t think that blues Stanley cup that he sat on the bench for means anything to his trade value today
I Love J Boqvist

I don’t deny Allen was a good goalie back in those blues days (half a decade ago)

That cup was won on the back of Jordan Binnington. Allen played 1 game, made 3 saves and let in a goal.

I don’t think that blues Stanley cup that he sat on the bench for means anything to his trade value today
Wreckless
Quoting: tryger
If you have at all watched Allen this season, I sincerely can't understand how you see him as a legit upgrade for a team trying to go deep in the playoffs. He can't even steal starts from a young/developing goalie who is wholly outplaying him. If you legitimately think Allen is good for a team trying to make the playoffs, that is exactly what the Habs plan is next season, so it seems like you are good keeping him.

I agree. I have no problem at all keeping him if the return isn’t good. But I also want to see Cayden Primeau develop. Honestly, I’d move Montembeault if the price was right. Might be hard politically in this province for linguistic reasons, but purely on the hockey side, there’s the case to move any of the three. Especially if the powers that be think Dobes is gonna end up being quite good.
Jan. 20 at 3:43 p.m.
Wreckless
Won a cup in which through every series where he played one sole game*

If you guys are so high on him, keep him. I honestly would be upset if Blake took him off waivers. I watch enough Habs games, you guys are trying to sell fools gold.

Last I checked, this site is about spitballing on what could be possible. We could keep him. We could move if if someone offers what Hughes thinks is enough. One of those things is true. The other doesn’t get posted.

Which Habs goalie do you think moves? To where? For how much? Or do you think the Habs keep 3 G for another full season? And why, in detail, for what you propose?

Ahhhh, but that’s hard. Easier to dump on why you think the thoughts of others are wrong. When this entire site is consistently all an exercise in low probability.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 20 at 3:49 p.m.
Wreckless

46 games in the same regular season that your team built momentum and won a cup. More than Binnington. 250 regular season games with the Blues over the 5 seasons that built to a cup.

Just out of curiosity, do you know how many St Louis Blues had more minutes of ice time in that regular season? At any and all position. I’ll give you a hint. It rhymes with hero.

Cups aren’t won in a vacuum. They are slowly and systematically built over time. But I already know you won’t agree. It’s all good. To each their own.
Jan. 20 at 3:53 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
46 games in the same regular season that your team built momentum and won a cup. More than Binnington. 250 regular season games with the Blues over the 5 seasons that built to a cup.

Just out of curiosity, do you know how many St Louis Blues had more minutes of ice time in that regular season? At any and all position. I’ll give you a hint. It rhymes with hero.

Cups aren’t won in a vacuum. They are slowly and systematically built over time. But I already know you won’t agree. It’s all good. To each their own.

He tried to argue it in conjunction with other playoff performances and in comparison to vanacek’s playoff performances.

It was clear what he was trying to do and imply.

Also Allen wasn’t particularly good that regular season either. They were out of the playoffs with him. Binner then took over and went 24-6 to carry them to the playoffs and then took them to the finals
Jan. 20 at 4:03 p.m.
Wreckless
He tried to argue it in conjunction with other playoff performances and in comparison to vanacek’s playoff performances.

It was clear what he was trying to do and imply.

Also Allen wasn’t particularly good that regular season either. They were out of the playoffs with him. Binner then took over and went 24-6 to carry them to the playoffs and then took them to the finals

Binnington’s play that year was epic. There’s no denying it. It didn’t at all change how valuable Allen was to the team. He’s more a cup winner than at least half the skaters on that roster. But they all are regardless.
Jan. 20 at 4:06 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Binnington’s play that year was epic. There’s no denying it. It didn’t at all change how valuable Allen was to the team. He’s more a cup winner than at least half the skaters on that roster. But they all are regardless.

Allen had a -10 GSAx per moneypuck and a -9 GSAx per evolving hockey. He was actively hurting that team.
Jan. 20 at 4:08 p.m.
Banned
Last I checked, this site is about spitballing on what could be possible. We could keep him. We could move if if someone offers what Hughes thinks is enough. One of those things is true. The other doesn’t get posted.

Which Habs goalie do you think moves? To where? For how much? Or do you think the Habs keep 3 G for another full season? And why, in detail, for what you propose?

Ahhhh, but that’s hard. Easier to dump on why you think the thoughts of others are wrong. When this entire site is consistently all an exercise in low probability.

So many dont give answers to your arguments but attack the posters instead of the argument with platitudes.
Simply see any of the Monahan madness where some here claim that it's very unlikely that Monahan does get a 1st because of 'reasons' yet its mostly piggy bagging tribalism and lets all point and laugh because we disagree together more than someone with the idea that we don't like..
BUT put through an actual hypothesis with the same stats/metrics/contract situation/position/age like Pageau and Copp compared to Monahan and its deemed the exception because you are trying too hard to justify a position you are defending.

You cant win if posters wont accept 1+1=2 but instead they rather think 1+1 could equal dog.
Wreckless liked this.
Jan. 21 at 12:01 p.m.

If you sincerely think Allen has been a good goaltender for the Habs I respect your argument, I just disagree with that opinion. Which like you said, is sort of the point of this site. Right now, LA would have to waive one of Cam Talbot or David Rittich if they traded for a goaltender, both have played too well to justify that move.
Jan. 21 at 7:03 p.m.
Wreckless
If you sincerely think Allen has been a good goaltender for the Habs I respect your argument, I just disagree with that opinion. Which like you said, is sort of the point of this site. Right now, LA would have to waive one of Cam Talbot or David Rittich if they traded for a goaltender, both have played too well to justify that move.

That’s a good point. And it’s why i was confused at first reading Friedman’s report.

My guess is:
1) the kings wanted to secure a goalie for next year and asked both what their salary asks would be.
2) the didn’t like what they heard from one or both.
3) they asked the league to see what the price would be to acquire goalies with term left on their deals.
And then the Friedman report came out.
Following this, they probably:
4) checked to see what cap strapped teams would give them for their goalies, on extremely affordable deals.

Under no situation would the Kings need to waiver either.
Jan. 22 at 1:41 a.m.
That’s a good point. And it’s why i was confused at first reading Friedman’s report.

My guess is:
1) the kings wanted to secure a goalie for next year and asked both what their salary asks would be.
2) the didn’t like what they heard from one or both.
3) they asked the league to see what the price would be to acquire goalies with term left on their deals.
And then the Friedman report came out.
Following this, they probably:
4) checked to see what cap strapped teams would give them for their goalies, on extremely affordable deals.

Under no situation would the Kings need to waiver either.

With Arvidsson returning in February, the Kings will be cap strapped even keeping an extra skater up. One of the goalies would have to be moved to make the math work. The only type of player that could move the needle to that level is Hart or Ulmark in my opinion.
Jan. 22 at 4:31 a.m.
Jake Allen sucks. The Kings are looking to improve their Goaltending, not make it worse.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll