Forums/Armchair-GM

Elliotte Friedman says kings looking to add a goalie Maybe Allen

Created by: Wreckless
Team: 2023-24 Los Angeles Kings
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 19, 2024
Published: Jan. 19, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Do the kings have any contracts you guys want to get rid of?
Trades
MTL
  1. 2025 2nd round pick (LAK)
Retained Salary Transactions
Termination Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$81,221,667$0$4,795,000$2,278,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$7,875,000$7,875,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,200,000$4,200,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
UFA - 8
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$875,000$875,000
RW
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,875,000$5,875,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LD
UFA - 8
$3,150,000$3,150,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$875,000$875,000
G
UFA - 1
$820,000$820,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,675,000$1,675,000
C
RFA - 1
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 19 at 1:27 p.m.
The Kings with Arvidsson set to return really can't afford Allen. Also, Allen has been kinda awful, LA lit him up when they played the Habs so I don't think it's Allen.
Shanesaw9 liked this.
Jan. 19 at 1:28 p.m.
If LA is having a goalie crisis, then this trade would make sense.
But they should give MTL a prospect plus a draft pick.
Wreckless liked this.
Jan. 19 at 1:30 p.m.
Future Norris guy
laugh Jake Allen at full value doesn't come anywhere close to getting a 2nd round pick back. James Reimer at 50% retained has just as much value as Allen and both have similar numbers.
Jan. 19 at 1:34 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
They want to get rid of Dubois.... 😆
Andy_Dick and Wreckless liked this.
Jan. 19 at 1:37 p.m.
Quoting: Vancity2196
If LA is having a goalie crisis, then this trade would make sense.
But they should give MTL a prospect plus a draft pick.

Both of LAs goaltenders are outperforming Allen at 1/4-1/3 of the price.
Jan. 19 at 1:39 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: MisstheWhalers

Yikes. What a disaster so far. Chevy is a GOD
MisstheWhalers and Wreckless liked this.
Jan. 19 at 1:40 p.m.
Wreckless
Quoting: tryger
The Kings with Arvidsson set to return really can't afford Allen. Also, Allen has been kinda awful, LA lit him up when they played the Habs so I don't think it's Allen.

We’ve been playing with basically a fully squad of rookie D for 2 years now. Allen’s stats don’t mean much. He’s a good goalie, and his contract for next year is reasonable.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 19 at 1:42 p.m.
Wreckless
Quoting: MisstheWhalers

Wow…I didn’t even realize Dubois stats that brutal this year. And zero « no trade » protection until next year? Crazier things have happened I guess…
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 19 at 1:44 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Andy_Dick
Yikes. What a disaster so far. Chevy is a GOD

Quoting: Wreckless
Wow…I didn’t even realize Dubois stats that brutal this year. And zero « no trade » protection until next year? Crazier things have happened I guess…

I was just kidding, was funny this question coming from a Habs fan though all things considered... 🤣
Wreckless and Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 19 at 1:44 p.m.
Wreckless

Neither has a contract for next year. My guess is that would be the main reason. You can’t compare the stats. Habs are throwing our young D right into the fire and having them learn through experience. If Friedman says Kings are looking for a goalie, he’s not pulling that out of thin air.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 19 at 1:48 p.m.
Banned

Goaltending is usually a systems and team issue. Allen still has a positive saves above expected on a brutal, talented, yes but very green defensive club that has dealt with a lot of injuries and different D combinations.

Allen is a proven netminder that willl give you average goaltending with consistency and any contender that can shelter him should florish. Look at Korpisalo this season from last season, the examples are everywhere.
Wreckless liked this.
Jan. 19 at 2:04 p.m.
Neither has a contract for next year. My guess is that would be the main reason. You can’t compare the stats. Habs are throwing our young D right into the fire and having them learn through experience. If Friedman says Kings are looking for a goalie, he’s not pulling that out of thin air.

Looking for a goalie and looking at Allen is a very differnt thing. Look at it from the Kings point of view, unless the Habs are retaining half and taking back a contract I dont see it.
Jan. 19 at 2:05 p.m.
Wreckless
Looking for a goalie and looking at Allen is a very differnt thing. Look at it from the Kings point of view, unless the Habs are retaining half and taking back a contract I dont see it.

Not sure about retaining, unless the return is really really good. But taking a contract back is definitely on the table. Hughes has consistently used his cap space and LTIR room to facilitate deals.
Jan. 19 at 2:06 p.m.
Goaltending is usually a systems and team issue. Allen still has a positive saves above expected on a brutal, talented, yes but very green defensive club that has dealt with a lot of injuries and different D combinations.

Allen is a proven netminder that willl give you average goaltending with consistency and any contender that can shelter him should florish. Look at Korpisalo this season from last season, the examples are everywhere.

Allen is a career .908 vs. Talbot career .914 at a budget contract. Unless Allen is retained this contract doesnt work. Arvidsson is already on the ice which means when he's healthy the Kings have $4M they don't have money for.
Jan. 19 at 2:07 p.m.
Not sure about retaining, unless the return is really really good. But taking a contract back is definitely on the table. Hughes has consistently used his cap space and LTIR room to facilitate deals.

I'd rather go with the current Kings tandem who is outperforming Allen handily than lose $4M of their players.
Jan. 19 at 2:17 p.m.
Banned
Allen is a career .908 vs. Talbot career .914 at a budget contract. Unless Allen is retained this contract doesnt work. Arvidsson is already on the ice which means when he's healthy the Kings have $4M they don't have money for.

.908 is quite average these days. And, average goaltending is getting to be less common and attractive among contenders.

50% retention would cost a pretty penny. The retention alone is worth a 2nd with the extra term. Id be hard pressed to trade Allen @50% for anything less than a 2nd and a prospect when the prices at the TDL should balloon. That said they dont have to move him at all.

Moving him to the Devils for bad money in Vanecek and a pick to NJ can even be done as at least theyd wouldnt have to sacrifice cap space next season as opposed to the Kings whom simply get cap flexbility. You need to offer something better.
Wreckless liked this.
Jan. 19 at 2:20 p.m.
Wreckless

914 > 908 is some excellent analysis that my son can also do in grade 1.
He even knows that the symbol can be seen as a crocodile’s mouth that opens up to want to eat the bigger number of fish.

Goalie stats are team stats. To evaluate goalies, you need to look at their tool kits, and how they related to probability within overall team systems.

If Arvidsson is back and healthy, that does present an issue.
Jan. 19 at 2:22 p.m.
Wreckless
I'd rather go with the current Kings tandem who is outperforming Allen handily than lose $4M of their players.

I was curious which contract the kings fan base might would want to dump. Any insight there would be valuable. Which might be first on the chopping block is more value added than “not any $4M of their players”, as though $4mm is some kind of monolith.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 19 at 2:33 p.m.
Banned
I was curious which contract the kings fan base might would want to dump. Any insight there would be valuable. Which might be first on the chopping block is more value added than “not any $4M of their players”, as though $4mm is some kind of monolith.

PLD awesome face

Edit: I know the joke is old news. And. I am lame. Im also on pain killers atm so give me a break. I need to laugh a little at things.
Wreckless liked this.
Jan. 19 at 2:51 p.m.

Arvidsson would be the best candidate, but the Kings need Arvidsson more than Allen particularly when you look at their powerplay last season with him and what they are now. Look at the Kings goaltending SV%, they aren't the problem. They are looking for someone for next season, but I think you would look at a young 1B like Lankinen, Ersson, Dostal. Plenty of goaltenders will be willing to take budget contracts next season to salvage their career: Murray, Samsanov, Raanta, etc. If the Kings are serious about contending in the playoffs, I can't see Allen as the answer when better goaltenders could be obtained at similar cap hits like: Ullmark, Hart, etc.
Wreckless liked this.
Jan. 19 at 2:56 p.m.
Edited Jan. 19 at 3:09 p.m.
914 > 908 is some excellent analysis that my son can also do in grade 1.
He even knows that the symbol can be seen as a crocodile’s mouth that opens up to want to eat the bigger number of fish.

Goalie stats are team stats. To evaluate goalies, you need to look at their tool kits, and how they related to probability within overall team systems.

If Arvidsson is back and healthy, that does present an issue.

I'm proud of your son, but if you think the amount of goals let in by a goaltender has nothing to do with their value I urge you to look at the career average of every goaltender who has got a contract above $5M.

Allens tool kit shows he is about at .913 SV% with a good defense infront of him (like in St. Louis), the Kings at half Allens price are getting above that save % with TWO GOALTENDERS. If it's not Montembeault for sale we aren't interested, at Allens price, he should be the starter in Montreal, he's not because he isn't that good. I think your son would tell you that if he watched his games this season after he sharply fell off after a strong start.
Jan. 19 at 3:17 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
.908 is quite average these days. And, average goaltending is getting to be less common and attractive among contenders.

50% retention would cost a pretty penny. The retention alone is worth a 2nd with the extra term. Id be hard pressed to trade Allen 50% for anything less than a 2nd and a prospect when the prices at the TDL should balloon. That said they dont have to move him at all.

Moving him to the Devils for bad money in Vanecek and a pick to NJ can even be done as at least theyd wouldnt have to sacrifice cap space next season as opposed to the Kings whom simply get cap flexbility. You need to offer something better.

The devils would likely be looking at it as a similar value swap

Allen been better this year
Vitek better last year
Vitek better the year before that
Vitek cheaper
Vitek younger
Vitek more upside
Jan. 19 at 3:46 p.m.
Wreckless
PLD awesome face

Edit: I know the joke is old news. And. I am lame. Im also on pain killers atm so give me a break. I need to laugh a little at things.

“Better living through chemistry”. It’s Wellbutrin and Concerta for me 👍
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 19 at 3:49 p.m.
Wreckless
Arvidsson would be the best candidate, but the Kings need Arvidsson more than Allen particularly when you look at their powerplay last season with him and what they are now. Look at the Kings goaltending SV%, they aren't the problem. They are looking for someone for next season, but I think you would look at a young 1B like Lankinen, Ersson, Dostal. Plenty of goaltenders will be willing to take budget contracts next season to salvage their career: Murray, Samsanov, Raanta, etc. If the Kings are serious about contending in the playoffs, I can't see Allen as the answer when better goaltenders could be obtained at similar cap hits like: Ullmark, Hart, etc.

My only points of contention with this is “plenty of goalies will be willing to take budget contracts.” That remains to be seen, and usually the ones who do are ones people don’t want, and you can’t really bank on in the playoffs.

Also, Arvidsson coming off major back issues is a giant question mark. We’ll see how he looks when he’s back though. If he’s playing, but only partially effective, that’s a problem for the cap. If he’s out until the playoffs, then no worries, and they have the LTIR space.
Jan. 19 at 3:53 p.m.
Wreckless
I'm proud of your son, but if you think the amount of goals let in by a goaltender has nothing to do with their value I urge you to look at the career average of every goaltender who has got a contract above $5M.

Allens tool kit shows he is about at .913 SV% with a good defense infront of him (like in St. Louis), the Kings at half Allens price are getting above that save % with TWO GOALTENDERS. If it's not Montembeault for sale we aren't interested, at Allens price, he should be the starter in Montreal, he's not because he isn't that good. I think your son would tell you that if he watched his games this season after he sharply fell off after a strong start.

Montembeault is young and still developing. Needs to play. Allen doesn’t need to develop anymore. I agree with Andy, it’s all about team system. And what Allen brings you will fit well on most contending teams. Regarding those stats for the kings goalies, don’t count on that in the playoffs.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll