Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs after the waiver wire

Created by: goldie078
Team: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 12, 2017
Published: Jul. 12, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Obeyed the golden rule of not trading Bozak/JVR/Kadri. Signed Brown, signed 1 RHD UFA to avoid losing draft picks.

This is to see what happens when the Leafs need to be cap compliant on Day 1 of the season without $7.9 million of LTIR relief. eg: fit under the cap with Lupul and Horton on the active roster

Not all players doing the waiver dance will be claimed, as other teams have limited cap space and roster spots, but this is just an illustration of the potential players at risk. Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Soshnikov are the players who played in the NHL last season with re-entry waiver exemption remaining, so they are sent down.

The goal is to have a roster that is complete with 23 players once you add those 3 or 4 players back in. One part is avoiding sending players you would regret losing, the other is gambling on who all the teams ahead of the Leafs in waiver priority would not want.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,000,000
Trades
TOR
COL
  1. Komarov, Leo
Additional Details:
$85,442,499 - $2,950,000 = $82,492,499
TOR
COL
  1. Martin, Matt
Additional Details:
$82,492,499 - $2,500,000 = $79,992,499
TOR
COL
  1. Fehr, Eric
Additional Details:
$79,992,499 - $2,000,000 = $77,992,499
TOR
COL
  1. Smith, Ben
Additional Details:
$77,992,499 - $650,000 = $79,342,499
TOR
COL
  1. Marchenko, Alexey
Additional Details:
$77,342,499 - $1,450,000 = $75,892,499
TOR
COL
  1. Moore, Dominic
Additional Details:
$75,892,499 - $1,000,000 = $74,892,499
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$75,000,000$67,792,499$5,370,000$5,025,000$7,207,501
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 2
$612,500$612,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,200,000$4,200,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
LW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 2
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:14 p.m.
Edited Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:27 p.m.
Personally, I would gamble on McElhinney clearning waivers even if it only buys you $850k of temporary space, but I'm skeptical management would want to risk the plans they have for goalie prospect development.

I did my best, still only managed to guarantee 13 F/7D/2G. I wouldn't bet on every player being claimed, other teams will be flooding waivers at the same time, but this is a strong indication that the Leafs have to act.

Some combination of the following:
+ Be prepared to lose for nothing Marchenko, Martin, Moore, Komarov, Fehr, Smith -- and so try to set up trades for all of them now, anything is better than nothing
+ Trade guys that are on the above roster, clearing up $10,443,000 of cap space to guarantee you don't have to expose any of the players lost to the waiver monster in this exercise.

Bozak and JVR are the obvious ways to clear $8.45 million of cap space, but Leafs fans sound like Sakic with Stastny if you ask me. You don't need to trade them, but you would be stupid not to live for tomorrow.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:30 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Don't know why you think the Leafs have a cap problem entering training camp. Teams are allowed to over the cap. And come October 1, the Leafs have Horton on LTIR guaranteed, and Lupul 99% guaranteed.
Of course if the Leafs wasted 4m by signing Franson, it might be needed. But who in their right mind sign Franson for that money and term?
If the Leafs have any intention of making the playoffs they aren't having Leivo and Rychel as their 3/4 LWers. And they aren't going to be testing Marner to play centre a position he played sometimes in junior.
I have never read of any Golden Rule rules regarding Bozak, JVR and Kadri. But there is a "unwritten rule" that the Leafs would only trade these players for assets that would help this year and in future, since these players are needed this year to compete for playoff spot. Of course there are about 26 teams that are competing for playoff spots that have the same "unwritten rule."
Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:40 p.m.
TML On The Rise!
Since you deleted your last post about the exact same thing with my comments on it I'll just say this:

I really believe you don't know the ins and outs of the NHL and especially the Leafs yet you continue to comment on them. And personally I don't care if your critiques come from an educated view on how you will disagree with whatever you want to disagree with......but it HAS to be educated. Your critiques are not. Your suggestions, most of the time, are some of the most irresponsibly concocted solutions I have ever seen. Which tells me you don't follow the Leafs at all. Please please please do some real research before commenting. I know you got it in ya.....just educate yourself.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:41 p.m.
Edited Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:49 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Don't know why you think the Leafs have a cap problem entering training camp. Teams are allowed to over the cap. And come October 1, the Leafs have Horton on LTIR guaranteed, and Lupul 99% guaranteed.
I have never read of any Golden Rule rules regarding Bozak, JVR and Kadri. But there is a "unwritten rule" that the Leafs would only trade these players for assets that would help this year and in future, since these players are needed this year to compete for playoff spot. Of course there are about 26 teams that are competing for playoff spots that have the same "unwritten rule."

Can you type but not read?

Day 1 of the season teams have to be momentarily compliant with the cap before adding anyone to the LTIR. It happens every year.

Keep anyone you want for the playoffs, but you will need to send guys to the AHL for the NHL team to be cap-compliant and only Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Soshnikov with their tiny cap hits are exempt from waivers.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:44 p.m.
Quoting: Laynious
Since you deleted your last post about the exact same thing with my comments on it I'll just say this:

I really believe you don't know the ins and outs of the NHL and especially the Leafs yet you continue to comment on them. And personally I don't care if your critiques come from an educated view on how you will disagree with whatever you want to disagree with......but it HAS to be educated. Your critiques are not. Your suggestions, most of the time, are some of the most irresponsibly concocted solutions I have ever seen. Which tells me you don't follow the Leafs at all. Please please please do some real research before commenting. I know you got it in ya.....just educate yourself.

I deleted a first version of the roster because it fell even further short of resulting in a full roster, and so it was easier to redo it than to add a paragraph of footnotes explaining the options.

I do know about the waiver dance, and you are wrong if you choose to believe it doesn't apply to the Leafs. It's an NHL rule.
If you have a different list of guys to send down to open the season, speak up.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:47 p.m.
Quoting: palhal

If the Leafs have any intention of making the playoffs they aren't having Leivo and Rychel as their 3/4 LWers. And they aren't going to be testing Marner to play centre a position he played sometimes in junior.

Oh, that's not my lineup preference. That's just everybody's that's left who can be protected from re-entry waivers.
Move Hyman to 4C and Marner to RW if you like, this roster is explicitly about protecting against waiver exposure.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:59 p.m.
TML On The Rise!
Edited Jul. 12, 2017 at 2:04 p.m.
Quoting: goldie078

I deleted a first version of the roster because it fell even further short of resulting in a full roster, and so it was easier to redo it than to add a paragraph of footnotes explaining the options.

I do know about the waiver dance, and you are wrong if you choose to believe it doesn't apply to the Leafs. It's an NHL rule.
If you have a different list of guys to send down to open the season, speak up.

NHL teams are allowed to be over by 10% of the cap up until the season starts. They then have to be cap compliant by way of waivers OR LTIR. This is why we aren't going to lose 2 lines of players.

Sorry here's why we can use, potentially, offseason LTIR:
https://theathletic.com//74826/2017/07/11/mirtle-no-the-maple-leafs-are-not-really-in-off-season-salary-cap-hell/?redirected=1
Jul. 12, 2017 at 2:03 p.m.
#LeafsFever
While I appreciate your "golden rule" premises, I don't understand why the Leafs would give away Komarov, especially for nothing. Of all their big upcoming UFAs, Komarov will likely be the most affordable. He is well liked both in the dressing room and in this city and offers a nice mix of physical play, leadership, speed, ability to kill penalties and even score some goals. I can't see the Leafs letting him go. Also, it's terrible form to sign a UFA only to trade then trade them (ie Dominic Moore). Leafs have (or have had) a tough enough time enticing UFAs to sign in this city, running one right out of town basically immediately would not look good on this management group or team as a whole.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 2:12 p.m.
Quoting: MG1986
While I appreciate your "golden rule" premises, I don't understand why the Leafs would give away Komarov, especially for nothing. Of all their big upcoming UFAs, Komarov will likely be the most affordable. He is well liked both in the dressing room and in this city and offers a nice mix of physical play, leadership, speed, ability to kill penalties and even score some goals. I can't see the Leafs letting him go. Also, it's terrible form to sign a UFA only to trade then trade them (ie Dominic Moore). Leafs have (or have had) a tough enough time enticing UFAs to sign in this city, running one right out of town basically immediately would not look good on this management group or team as a whole.

I was just respecting fans' preferences to retain Bozak/JVR/Kadri, and then doing a what-if scenario of who might be exposed to waivers.
If you read my post in the first comment, I lay out the alternatives to avoid risking losing players like Komarov for nothing.

If you do protect Komarov from waivers, then you have to pick out $2,850,000 worth of players to send down in his place. My logic was Komarov's 30, better than sending Hyman+ or Brown.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 2:15 p.m.
Laynious, palhal, other people who would rate this '1 star'

NHL CBA

Quoting: Article 50.10 (d)
Illustration #2: The Upper Limit in a League Year is $70.0 million. On
the last day of Training Camp, a Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $71
million (excluding Earnable Performance Bonuses up to the full amount of
the Performance Bonus Cushion). On the last day of Training Camp, a
Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $2.0 million
becomes unfit to play. On the same day, the Club Loans two Players who
have SPCs with an aggregate Averaged Amount of $2.0 million to the
minors, decreasing its Averaged Club Salary to $69 million. The Club
then acquires a Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $1
million increasing its Averaged Club Salary to $70 million. Subsequently,
on Opening Day, the Club exercises the Bona-Fide Long-Term
Injury/Illness Exception on the unfit-to-play Player. The Club may then
replace that Player with Players who have SPCs with an (aggregate)
Averaged Amount of $2.0 million. If these replacements are made on
Opening Day and are maintained through the conclusion of the season, the
Club's Averaged Club Salary is $72.0 million, as the Club is permitted to
exceed the Upper Limit by $2.0 million because of the Bona-Fide LongTerm
Injury/Illness Exception.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 2:37 p.m.
For the Atheltic, James Mirtle wrote an article about the Leafs current cap situation, and how they aren't in any trouble because of a few back doors in the NHL rules. Did you know you can use LTIR in the offseason? Bill Daley confirmed it and John Chayka used it last offseason. It's pretty interesting and you should give it a check.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 2:41 p.m.
Quoting: BStone67
For the Atheltic, James Mirtle wrote an article about the Leafs current cap situation, and how they aren't in any trouble because of a few back doors in the NHL rules. Did you know you can use LTIR in the offseason? Bill Daley confirmed it and John Chayka used it last offseason. It's pretty interesting and you should give it a check.

I didn't know LTIR could be used until Mirtle reported it, because it had never been reported before, but that doesn't change what I'm talking about. This is a different thing where every year there's a flood of players being sent down to the AHL before waivers kick in the day after training camp, and for the teams using LTIR a bunch coming back through re-entry waivers on the next day.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 2:51 p.m.

I didn't know LTIR could be used until Mirtle reported it, because it had never been reported before, but that doesn't change what I'm talking about. This is a different thing where every year there's a flood of players being sent down to the AHL before waivers kick in the day after training camp, and for the teams using LTIR a bunch coming back through re-entry waivers on the next day.

The only reason I brought it up is because lately I've been seeing EVERYONE attacking the Leafs for being in cap hell, and want to bring light to the real situation.
My question though, is why would you waive Komarov - where he'll more than definitely be claimed - rather than trade him for something?
I also have problems with the lineup your icing. Rychel isn't ready for a lot of NHL action, possibly a limited role since there isn't a spot for him. The Leafs wouldn't spend 1 mill on Moore if he were gonna be an AHLer. Babcock and others have already stated they plan to keep Marner on the wing since they have depth at Center already. If this is just what you personally want, then you do you, cheers
orignalsix liked this.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 3:10 p.m.
Edited Jul. 12, 2017 at 3:20 p.m.

The only reason I brought it up is because lately I've been seeing EVERYONE attacking the Leafs for being in cap hell, and want to bring light to the real situation.

Yeah, I assumed if the moves had already been made that there was no trouble in the off-season. What led me to the Mirtle article was one armchair-GM team offer-sheeting Connor Brown and then a thread by @capfriendly citing the Mirtle article.
Quote:

My question though, is why would you waive Komarov - where he'll more than definitely be claimed - rather than trade him for something?
I also have problems with the lineup your icing. Rychel isn't ready for a lot of NHL action, possibly a limited role since there isn't a spot for him. The Leafs wouldn't spend 1 mill on Moore if he were gonna be an AHLer. Babcock and others have already stated they plan to keep Marner on the wing since they have depth at Center already. If this is just what you personally want, then you do you, cheers

I didn't want to get into what the Leafs "should do", or tell Leafs fans what they needed to do.

I laid out the roster and then tried to protect as much of it as I could. That's all.
I illustrated the risk of "do nothing"

I leave it up to you to make the right set of moves.

If you can't see past it, I'll move Marner to 2RW and Hyman to 4C. As for Rychel, what do you propose? He's not waiver exempt and would have to clear waivers to start the season in the AHL (there's a reset every year). Sohsnikov could move into 4RW, Hyman into 4LW, but would you then make Nylander a C instead of 1RW?

This lineup isn't the point, the Leafs will do more to protect players from waivers by making trade(s). With this roster in mind, now you will understand the hidden benefit of those trades which will send out more salary than they take back. You can even get ahead of of them and come up with your own trades to avoid this roster becoming a reality.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 3:22 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
So, lets see if this Goldies version of LTIR correct.. The last week of training camp Malkin and Crosby collide and both hurt their knees. Since the Cup champs were near the cap, now they have to put somehow delete 18m of cap space before the opening of the season. So Kessel, Hornquist Schultz have to exposed to waivers and claimed by other teams. Now the Pens are under the cap and now they fill Kessel, Hornquist and Schultz with 1m dollars played Yep this makes sense. Only in GoldieLand are the Leafs punished by having two guys on LTIR.
CapFriendly and it's computer program doesn't quite get the LTIR right. For instance there are LTIR different rules for players. Since Horton and Lupul have been LTIR for the entire previous season they are subject to different rules (which favour the Leafs). Just like Savard the Bruins and multiple team, doesn't really count against the cap hit if a team was to go over it. Now the Leafs are in cap problem if Lupul is deemed medical eligible to play. Just guessing there is deal with Arizona to trade for him, if 1. He is eligible to play. 2. He stays on LTIR.
orignalsix and clark liked this.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 3:27 p.m.
Somebody read this out loud to palhal. Penguins would be fine btw, they put Crosby and Malkin on LTIR on Day 1 -- they were cap compliant before placing Crosby and Malkin on LTIR. Day 2 they call up 2 AHL forwards. Nobody who wouldn't have been exposed to waivers anyways.

Quote:

NHL CBA
Quoting: Article 50.10 (d)
Illustration #2: The Upper Limit in a League Year is $70.0 million. On
the last day of Training Camp, a Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $71
million (excluding Earnable Performance Bonuses up to the full amount of
the Performance Bonus Cushion). On the last day of Training Camp, a
Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $2.0 million
becomes unfit to play. On the same day, the Club Loans two Players who
have SPCs with an aggregate Averaged Amount of $2.0 million to the
minors, decreasing its Averaged Club Salary to $69 million. The Club
then acquires a Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $1
million increasing its Averaged Club Salary to $70 million. Subsequently,
on Opening Day, the Club exercises the Bona-Fide Long-Term
Injury/Illness Exception on the unfit-to-play Player. The Club may then
replace that Player with Players who have SPCs with an (aggregate)
Averaged Amount of $2.0 million. If these replacements are made on
Opening Day and are maintained through the conclusion of the season, the
Club's Averaged Club Salary is $72.0 million, as the Club is permitted to
exceed the Upper Limit by $2.0 million because of the Bona-Fide LongTerm
Injury/Illness Exception.

Jul. 12, 2017 at 4:11 p.m.
So goldie by your logic, the pens can't replace 18m the Pens lost in playing in 18m in playing value. They have to replace there two stars with AHL players or 1m players. I'm sure that not how the CBA is interpreted.
And I'm sure Shanahan and the Leafs know the cap rules and LTIR where they won't be exposing good NHLers to waivers just because Horton and Lupul are on LTIR.
Your previous comment of PalHal and Laynious rating your a one star was certainly uncalled for. One star is far too high a rating for this posting. I know he did lots of work constructing the team but the logic is just unfounded. As a Senators fan our constant anti Leaf trolling is entertaining in it's own perverse way.
clark and Laynious liked this.
Jul. 13, 2017 at 6:43 a.m.
TML On The Rise!

Holy boats.....ok listen, LTIR can be used IN SEASON or in the OFF SEASON. If you were try and use it in the off season, you have to apply for the cap reprieve from the NHL. I also believe that the player you are applying to LTIR had to have been out the entire year. You would then go to the NHL office and say "Hey I need some cap space" and they either say yes or no. Then I also believe you don't have to expose half your roster to become "cap compliant". So if my understanding of this is correct then not only are we NOT in cap hell, we also don't have to lose 2 lines of serviceable NHL players.

I know all you are doing is trolling the Leaf fans on here and attempting to sound like you know what you're talking about. I can assure you there are backdoor deals/loopholes in the CBA that teams can utilize so they don't have to lose HALF OF THEIR PLAYERS. So please, for the 100th time, EDUCATE yourself on the game.....apply actual logic to the situation and present an idea that doesn't completely rip apart a team because of some weird thing you have with the Leafs.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll