SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Best Goaltending prospects in the NHL

Jul. 18, 2017 at 11:36 a.m.
I'm a Skatman
"issue" "came up" on NYR twitter so I figured we might as well have a discussion on this:
which team has the best goaltending prospects in the NHL?
Nominees so far are
-Vancouver
-Calgary
-New York Islanders
-Winnipeg
-New York Rangers
-Washington?

I'll make the case for NYR:
they really seem to be eager to ensure Lundqvist has an heir entering his prime when his contract is up; Shestyorkin looks like a draft steal, breaking records in the KHL at the age of 21. he's playing on a stacked team and is an all star, outshining Koskinen and maybe overtaking his starting role. looks like the leading contender to Lundqvists heirloom.
Halverson has been in the organization for quite some time and is competing for the AHL starting role. maybe he still has NHL upside in him, never too late for a goaltender.
Huska and Wall had good freshman college seasons after being late round picks in 2016.
Nell is a nice college FA pick up to refine his play in the ECHL next year.
and the latest signing, Georgiev has been shining in Liiga for the past years (finished his third pro year, age 21) and looks to battle Halverson for the starting job in Hartford.
all in all, there's a clear frontrunner in Shestyorkin and the potential for 2 more NHL quality goaltenders in the system. the only position in which the Rangers farm system really shines.
Jul. 18, 2017 at 11:44 a.m.
In Vancouver, we've got Thatcher Demko. Future starter, to-be one of the top goalies of his time most likely. Nothin else said. Also got Mike DiPietro who won the Memorial Cup, and gladly isn't associated to Rick DiPietro, so hes gonna be great too
Jul. 18, 2017 at 11:53 a.m.
Dunno about the depth in other organisations but Connor Ingram in Tampa is pretty handy. He's played well for Tampa to be comfortable trading away the two guys ahead of him in the depth chart in Gudlevski and Wilcox.
Jul. 18, 2017 at 11:58 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Gillies? Oettinger? Samsonov?
Jul. 18, 2017 at 11:59 a.m.
I'm a Skatman
Quoting: Jimmybooboo
Dunno about the depth in other organisations but Connor Ingram in Tampa is pretty handy. He's played well for Tampa to be comfortable trading away the two guys ahead of him in the depth chart in Gudlevski and Wilcox.

wasn't the word on Gudlevskis that he was stagnating and with the longterm solution of Vasilevsky there was simply no more room for him? they were about the same age and I suspect the same will happen to Halverson too.
Jul. 18, 2017 at 12:00 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Gillies? Oettinger? Samsonov?

I'm talking organizational depth.
Jul. 18, 2017 at 12:08 p.m.
Quoting: Barathrum_Obama
Quoting: Jimmybooboo

wasn't the word on Gudlevskis that he was stagnating and with the longterm solution of Vasilevsky there was simply no more room for him? they were about the same age and I suspect the same will happen to Halverson too.

A little bit. Gudlevski did need a change. Isles will be good for him. Tampa may be running into the same problem LA had a few years ago with Quick Jones and JBern. Vasi is gonna be the guy for awhile. Ingram probably gonna be decent trade bait in a year or two.
Jul. 18, 2017 at 12:45 p.m.
Philadelphia : Carter Hart

Drafted 2nd round in 2016. CHL Goaltender of the year (2016) - Age 17. WHL Goaltender of the year (2016. 2017)

Needs to fill out, but should be NHL ready in the next two years.
Jul. 18, 2017 at 1:14 p.m.
id say vancouver with Demko and DiPietro
nobody liked this.
Jul. 18, 2017 at 3:53 p.m.
As bad as they were last year, I wouldn't forget about Boston's duo of Zane and Subban. Subban has elite level talent and shown flashes, just hasn't seemed to put it together consistently. Zane had a solid year in PRO and is a former Richter award winner/hobby baker finalist. I honestly would say they are the best goaltending prospects, but they have the talent to be.
Jul. 18, 2017 at 4:57 p.m.
Oh Canada
Calgary has nice depth in Parsons and Gilles but it's gotta be Vancity at this point.
Jul. 19, 2017 at 3:57 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Washington has the undisputed #1 goalie prospect in the world with Samsonov. Although Grubauer doesn't count as a prospect anymore, once he goes to a team that'll give him a starter's workload he'll be a stud as well. We also have Vitek Vanecek, who gets overlooked a lot because of Samsonov and Gruby. He could be a quality starter one day. Then we have Adam Carlson, whose ceiling is probably a fringe starter.
Jul. 19, 2017 at 5:31 p.m.
Vancouver (Markstrom, Demko, DiPietro) and Washington (Grubauer, Samsonov, Vanecek) feel like the top candidates to me, but Calgary (Parsons, Gilles, Rittich) is also in the mix. There's a few teams with two young, solid goalies (NYR, Boston) and a bunch with one really solid prospect (Philly, Nash, NYI).
Jul. 19, 2017 at 5:39 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
Washington has the undisputed #1 goalie prospect in the world with Samsonov. Although Grubauer doesn't count as a prospect anymore, once he goes to a team that'll give him a starter's workload he'll be a stud as well. We also have Vitek Vanecek, who gets overlooked a lot because of Samsonov and Gruby. He could be a quality starter one day. Then we have Adam Carlson, whose ceiling is probably a fringe starter.

hes not undisputed. you can make the case for Carter Hart and Demko and the gang
Jul. 19, 2017 at 6:06 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: phillyjabroni

hes not undisputed. you can make the case for Carter Hart and Demko and the gang

Playing in arguably the second best league in the world, Samsonov put up a .936 SV% and 2.13 GAA during the regular season, and then he had a 1.28 GAA and .949 SV% in the playoffs. As a 19/20 year old. Against tougher competition that any other high end goalie prospect faced. If that's not the best in the world, I don't know what is.
Jul. 19, 2017 at 6:42 p.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni

Playing in arguably the second best league in the world, Samsonov put up a .936 SV% and 2.13 GAA during the regular season, and then he had a 1.28 GAA and .949 SV% in the playoffs. As a 19/20 year old. Against tougher competition that any other high end goalie prospect faced. If that's not the best in the world, I don't know what is.

Very true with the numbers, but I can make the case for Carter Hart and I'm sure VAN fans can make he case for Demko. He is damn impressive, but he is also 2 years older than Hart.
Jul. 19, 2017 at 7:29 p.m.
Pittsburgh may not be the best, but they are up there. They've got Murray as the starter, who is already really young, plus they have Tristan Jarry and Gustavsson, as well as some sleeper guys in DeSmith and Maguire.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll