Realistic Off-Season Blueprint

Created by: Ryminister_92
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 25, 2024
Published: Mar. 25, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Overview:
Treliving and management come into the off-season with $23,955,333 in projected cap space to reshape the roster into a tougher to play against cup contender. Last summer, Treliving’s goal was to address the depth scoring and he did just that. This time around, all he’s talked about throughout the season has been addressing the defence core and making them “bigger, longer, and tougher to play against”. With not many valuable trade assets available, I think he addresses the defence through free agent signings this summer.

Offence:
It’s time to let the big 3 of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander run their own lines. While this is primarily a coaching decision, it’s up to management to provide the player’s necessary to do so.
Bringing in Glass is a bit of a project, but playing him with Nylander who can be the line driver and Knies who’s great at puck retrieving takes some pressure off Glass to provide a steady presence in the middle.

Defence:
Treliving has talked much about revamping the defence and I think he goes back to his old stomping grounds to do so. All 3 pairs offer a puck mover paired with a guy that that’s reliable defensively and plays physical.
Tanev will likely be Toronto’s #1 target in the off-season and I can see Treliving committing the extra year to him to convince him to sign if he’s available.
Zadorov is loved by Treliving and players reportedly say he is “exactly what the team needs”. Again I see more term being offered to convince him to sign.

Goalies:
The major concern is Woll’s durability and injury history. Because of this, I see a reliable backup that has some experience starting a stretch of game being a high target & Treliving has loved Vladar ever since before he traded for him in Calgary.

Taxi squad players are guys to be sent to the AHL but will be first options for call-ups when needed.
Top prospects Fraser Minten and Easton Cowan aren’t quite ready for full time NHL time yet, however I could see Cowan getting the 9 game tryout before being sent back to London if the OHL - Minten will likely start with the Marlies and be given time to properly develop.

Assuming Toronto loses out in a tough first or second round match up against either Florida or Boston, and perhaps Charlie Elick slides down the draft board a bit - I gotta figure he's high on their draft board list as a big 2 way defender with top pairing upside.

Coming into the 24/25 seasons I’d say the biggest area still needing to be addressed would be to add another penalty killer that can win faceoffs at a high rate, and maybe a middle 6 centre depending how Glass works out. The problem becomes the lack of trade assets available so I don’t see many trades being made in-season next year. Still project this to be a division playoff team that’s tougher to play against consistently.

Thoughts?
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$787,500
3$805,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,275,500
3$2,465,000
2$1,125,000
1$805,000
2$835,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,250,000
3$4,350,000
5$4,000,000
1$800,000
1$950,000
1$775,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Tsyplakov, Maxim
1$925,000
Quillan, Jacob
2$892,500
Elick, Charlie
3$925,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Glass, Cody
Additional Details:
With a slim market of quality centres available, the trade market looks like the way to go to address the need. Glass is seemingly the odd man out in the middle in Nashville but could still turn things around in a better suited system. He'd provide a good secondary scoring option for Toronto in the middle and has had 1 breakout season before so there's some skill there to hope for. As much as he has some size he doesn't really use it to be physical and needs to improve in the faceoff circle, but again he's young enough with time to improve.
NSH
  1. Robertson, Nicholas [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Definitely more of a "change of scenery" type deal for both sides. Robertson has finally remained healthy this season and started to show his offensively ability in a limited role with Toronto. However he's starting to get overpassed by other guys in the system and may need a new team to give him a higher role. His defensive game still needs some work, but he is young and can still round out that part of his game. He competes and brings a strong work ethic on the forecheck even with his lack of size. Preds should be in the market for a middle 6 offensive winger and if they don't want to spend big then Robertson is the perfect buy low candidate with almost no risk.
TOR
  1. Vladar, Daniel
Additional Details:
With a very slim goalie market via free agency, Treliving looks to his old stomping grounds for an answer. Vladar struggled this season before going down to a hip injury that ended his season - both of those would be factors as his price wouldn't be too high. Treliving has envisioned Vladar as a starting goalies since before he traded for him from Boston and he could be a good competition to push Woll and be a solid tandem. He's very athletic in net and moves well but needs to work on his consistency.
CGY
  1. Abruzzese, Nick
  2. 2025 6th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Flames will be in a bit of a situation next season with potentially 3 goalies on the NHL roster. Dustin Wolf needs a longer look at the NHL level and Markstrom has a NMC so Vladar is the easier option to move. They may opt to keep him and move Markstrom, but I feel like if an offer is there for Vladar it's still worth it to move him after coming off hip surgery and they could sign a veteran free agent. In Abruzzese the Flames are getting a crafty offensive prospect who should see NHL time next season for them. Everyone is well aware that he played with Matt Coronato so it could be a natural fit to pair them together on a line and see if they can find their chemistry again.
TOR
  1. Poulin, Samuel [RFA Rights]
  2. 2025 5th round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
I'd guess that Poulin's time in Pittsburgh is coming to an end, may not even get a qualifying offer as he doesn't fit Dubas' style of play at all. He's not a transition style play, but rather a guy that will compete in the trenches and play a heavy style of game - which is the exact type of bottom 6 player to fit Trelviing's desired style.
PIT
  1. Järnkrok, Calle
Additional Details:
Jarnkrok unfortunately becomes a cap causality this summer. He's loved by the coaching staff as a versatile guy that can play up and down the lineup and at any forward position, as well as on both special teams. But due to other areas that need to be addressed he's likely a candidate to be moved. Dubas brought him to Toronto originally and Jarnkrok could still provide the Penguins with some depth scoring that they need as well as play a responsible 200ft game.
Ideally Toronto picks up a prospect here and not just picks and the Leafs will need call up options since they have limited trade assets.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,700,000$87,410,167$0$0$289,833

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Tsyplakov, Maxim
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, RW
UFA
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$11,500,000$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LW, C
RFA
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,350,000$4,350,000
RD
UFA
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
UFA
$2,465,000$2,465,000
RD
RFA
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,275,500$1,275,500
LD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Elick, Charlie
$925,000$925,000
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$835,000$835,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, LW
RFA
$1,100,000$1,100,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA
$800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
UFA
$800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 25 at 9:31 p.m.
Well this is certainly interesting......

1. I had to look up Tsyplakov lol. But gotta say..... he is awefully intriguing. I should subscribe to the Athletic lol. Shrewd.

2. Roberston for Glass: I have felt for a year now that Robertson simply doesn't have a long term future as a Leaf. Moving him for Glass is gutsy. But I actually like the fit. Ya just might squeeze a little something more out of that one, hard to say.

3. Vladar. You have totally hit to goalie market on the head. And short of DeSmith or bringing back Sammy, well..... those are the options. Only concern here is if Hildeby will be ready in two years. I think he will need 3.

4. Poulin. You are not wrong in the marriage with the Pens coming to a close. However, is he no longer waiver exempt, so he either makes the team or there is a real a risk of loosing him on waivers. Would hate to waste Jarnkrok on that.

5. Not a fan of the Tanev signing. We know what he can do when healthy, but that is the point. I think a better target is Carrier - may not be as tough, but plays a very well rounded game. I think he and Reilly would be fun to watch together.

6. Zadarov. Hard to say no to that if that is the contract. Perfect McCabe replacement in a year.

Overall this is brilliantly thought out. May not totally agree with it 100%, but the rationale behind each move is clear. And more importantly, none of the deals are pie in the sky..... all very possible.

👏👏👏bravo👏👏👏
Ryminister_92 liked this.
Mar. 25 at 9:32 p.m.
Me
willy on the third line is concerning though 11.5m on a third line player that would be a first line player on any other team. I assume that because the lines are more balanced then they will be playing almost equal minutes split between the top 9. Can someone please explain the obsession with Zadorov 4m for a no offensive upside defensive defenseman that plays physical he is essentially just Benoit and you are paying Benoit 1.275m. Why not spend the money elsewhere like goaltending or better depth forwards and find someone else like Benoit you can pay much less and still get the same benefits?
Mar. 25 at 9:38 p.m.
Quoting: Hockeyperson
willy on the third line is concerning though 11.5m on a third line player that would be a first line player on any other team. I assume that because the lines are more balanced then they will be playing almost equal minutes split between the top 9. Can someone please explain the obsession with Zadorov 4m for a no offensive upside defensive defenseman that plays physical he is essentially just Benoit and you are paying Benoit 1.275m. Why not spend the money elsewhere like goaltending or better depth forwards and find someone else like Benoit you can pay much less and still get the same benefits?

To the point about Willy playing on the third line - that like would be sheltered and mainly given offensive zones starts. The only decent defensive guy on that line is Knies and it’ll be his second year so you don’t wanna put that much pressure on him. It also helps ease Glass into the lineup and hopefully find his game. Nylander would still get a bunch of PP time so his minutes wouldn’t really be affected. This just allows the other lines more starts oppose to the Glass line.

& Zadorov is a UFA. UFA’s sign bigger contracts than RFA’s due to leverage in negotiations. Zadorov is a presence on the ice that a lot of players fear - Benoit is not that. Benoit also needs to work on his skating and decision making more before he can handle bigger minutes. Zadorov’s not perfect but he has more of a pedigree than Benoit and when a guy is a UFA a team will always have to outbid other teams and Treliving absolutely loves Zadorov so the number isn’t that bad
Mar. 25 at 9:39 p.m.
I'd do the Robo Glass swap from the preds perspective.
Mar. 25 at 9:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Zadorov is not a top 4 Dman I dont know why we keep signing a guy we dont need lul

Cody Glass is a waste of cap space rn 2.5m for a guy with less goals and assists than Robertson and cost 2.5m = NTU
Mar. 25 at 9:58 p.m.
Quoting: swinny
Well this is certainly interesting......

1. I had to look up Tsyplakov lol. But gotta say..... he is awefully intriguing. I should subscribe to the Athletic lol. Shrewd.

2. Roberston for Glass: I have felt for a year now that Robertson simply doesn't have a long term future as a Leaf. Moving him for Glass is gutsy. But I actually like the fit. Ya just might squeeze a little something more out of that one, hard to say.

3. Vladar. You have totally hit to goalie market on the head. And short of DeSmith or bringing back Sammy, well..... those are the options. Only concern here is if Hildeby will be ready in two years. I think he will need 3.

4. Poulin. You are not wrong in the marriage with the Pens coming to a close. However, is he no longer waiver exempt, so he either makes the team or there is a real a risk of loosing him on waivers. Would hate to waste Jarnkrok on that.

5. Not a fan of the Tanev signing. We know what he can do when healthy, but that is the point. I think a better target is Carrier - may not be as tough, but plays a very well rounded game. I think he and Reilly would be fun to watch together.

6. Zadarov. Hard to say no to that if that is the contract. Perfect McCabe replacement in a year.

Overall this is brilliantly thought out. May not totally agree with it 100%, but the rationale behind each move is clear. And more importantly, none of the deals are pie in the sky..... all very possible.

👏👏👏bravo👏👏👏

Appreciate the constructive feedback - it’s a nice chance on this site.

1. Tsyplakov has been linked to the Leafs for a bit and he plays a similar style game to Bertuzzi. I think Bert has priced himself out of Toronto so bringing in someone with a similar play style seems like a natural fit at a much reduced cap hit for the year until JT’s $11M is off the book then an extension can be revisited.

2. Robo was down the moment Dubas wasn’t brought back. That was his guy. The team has done what they can to increase the value on him (even tried moving him at the deadline but no takers), but this summer has to be the time to move him for any kinda of value. He’s been passed by Knies and McMann and the bottom 6 doesn’t suit his style so if they wait too long they’ll be lucky to get a draft pick for him. I like Glass as a bounce back candidate and he’s a decent middle 6 centre option when the market sucks for centres right now (somehow Monahan was trade for a 1st.. yikes.)

3. I think Sammy is done in TO. His mental game isn’t tough enough for the market and he’s not consistent enough to be a tandem teacher for Woll. Can’t blame him for how tough the market is in Toronto, but it’s best for him to go somewhere else for his career. DeSmith isn’t a bad option either, I just thought with Treliving’s history with Vladar that it made more sense. Possibly Nedeljkovic could be an option too but the UFA market for goalies might get outta hand.

4. The waiver issue with Poulin definitely concerned me - I thought about mentioning it in the description but forgot. Best case scenario he competes for a spot with Brown and maybe Poulin is sent down. I think he’d still clear waivers but if they’re worried he wouldn’t then it’d be easier to send down Reavo and not worry about losing him. Not a huge deal just tried to rework the bottom 6 with harder to play against players and unfortunately Jarnkrok is a likely candidate to be moved this time.

5. Everyone knows Tanev’s health issues, but that doesn’t stop Treliving. As much as I’d love a better durable guy, this isn’t so much just what I want but more what I think management wants and it’s been made clear how Treliving feels about Tanev. In a perfect world I’d take Matt Roy over Tanev and Carrier but I think he’ll price himself out somewhere else.

6. Ditto. A lot of people don’t love Zadorov but he brings a presence of fear on the ice and it would help ease the loss of McCabe. Everyone is focused on the right side being an area of need but no one seems to realize that only Rielly is the only left handed guy signed beyond next season. The whole defence corps needs to be reworked.
swinny liked this.
Mar. 25 at 10:00 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Zadorov is not a top 4 Dman I dont know why we keep signing a guy we dont need lul

Cody Glass is a waste of cap space rn 2.5m for a guy with less goals and assists than Robertson and cost 2.5m = NTU

We can agree to disagree. Cause I see everything that you said as completely wrong.
Mar. 25 at 10:11 p.m.
Quoting: Hockeyperson

Josh Manson makes $4 million. No offensive up side but physical. And he picked up that contract after a couole bad years in Anahiem. So $4 for Zadarov, who plays the same game, just isn't outside the realm of possibility. Plays 17 minutes a game in Vancouver, which is sounding like top 4 minutes to me, unless you are running 4 guys 23 minutes a night.

Perspective.
Mar. 25 at 10:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Josh Manson makes $4 million. No offensive up side but physical. And he picked up that contract after a couole bad years in Anahiem. So $4 for Zadarov, who plays the same game, just isn't outside the realm of possibility. Plays 17 minutes a game in Vancouver, which is sounding like top 4 minutes to me, unless you are running 4 guys 23 minutes a night.

Perspective.

Well the one difference is Manson is playing top 4 in Colorado while Zadorov has been third pair the majority of his career and is currently in Van. There's also the factor of LD vs. RD but no need for huge details

But in the end TOR giving Zadorov 4m to come here makes 0 sense. We dont need a third pair guy here as before anything compare the amount of time McCabe is playing to Zadorov and its pretty evident
Mar. 25 at 10:18 p.m.
Well the one difference is Manson is playing top 4 in Colorado while Zadorov has been third pair the majority of his career and is currently in Van. There's also the factor of LD vs. RD but no need for huge details

But in the end TOR giving Zadorov 4m to come here makes 0 sense. We dont need a third pair guy here as before anything compare the amount of time McCabe is playing to Zadorov and its pretty evident

So propose a better option.

I don't like the Tanev puck up, I suggested Carrier.

You don't like Zadarov, and suggest????
Mar. 25 at 10:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Ryminister_92
We can agree to disagree. Cause I see everything that you said as completely wrong.

So if Zadorov is a top 4 Dman why isnt Van using him there?

If he's a top 4 guy surely he would be playing more than 17mins a night right?

Zadorov on a SC contending team is a 3rd pair Dman

Just ask CGY, Avs, and now Van.
Mar. 25 at 10:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So propose a better option.

I don't like the Tanev puck up, I suggested Carrier.

You don't like Zadarov, and suggest????

Carrier is way to undersized

TOR really has 0 need for a LD

They have Rielly, McCabe, and Benoit

McCabe is already playing over 20mins a game. Let him go back to his strong side

For the right side Target Demelo or Roy or heck both u can do it
Mar. 25 at 10:22 p.m.

Toronto has 1 left handed defenceman signed after next season and that’s Rielly. There’s 1000% a need for a left handed top 4 guy. A $4M defenceman next season is the same as a $3.35M this season because of the cap increase and the year after that it only gets better - if you’re telling me that basically $3.35M for a top 4 defenceman is too much then I’m not sure what you’re talking expecting.

Zadorov is a top 4 guy. Doesn’t matter that you think he’s not. He plays 17 mins a night right now and it doesn’t matter if he’d labelled as a third pair guy in Vancouver because he plays all the tough minutes against the other teams too players and that’s what makes him a top 4 guy.

So hate all you want on him, but until you provide some actual facts and not just your opinion, your comments are kinda pointless (no offence).
Mar. 25 at 10:25 p.m.

McCabe is already playing over 20mins a game. Let him go back to his strong side

You do realize that McCabe and Zadorov are very similar players right? Yet you’re calling McCabe a top 4 guy and not Zadorov?
McCabe only gets more minutes because Toronto’s defence is thinner. He wouldn’t get that on Vancouver and Zadorov would get 20 mins a night if he and McCabe swapped places.

Just seems like you’re bias on the situation more than actually offering anything constructive.
Mar. 25 at 10:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Toronto has 1 left handed defenceman signed after next season and that’s Rielly. There’s 1000% a need for a left handed top 4 guy. A $4M defenceman next season is the same as a $3.35M this season because of the cap increase and the year after that it only gets better - if you’re telling me that basically $3.35M for a top 4 defenceman is too much then I’m not sure what you’re talking expecting.

Zadorov is a top 4 guy. Doesn’t matter that you think he’s not. He plays 17 mins a night right now and it doesn’t matter if he’d labelled as a third pair guy in Vancouver because he plays all the tough minutes against the other teams too players and that’s what makes him a top 4 guy.

So hate all you want on him, but until you provide some actual facts and not just your opinion, your comments are kinda pointless (no offence).

You extend McCabe there yah go easy as he is a top 4 Dman

Zadorov is again not a top 4 guy. If he was why is Van not playing him in the top 4. 17 mins is not top 4 mins. Look at how much McCabe plays the answer more than 17mins lul
Mar. 25 at 10:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
You do realize that McCabe and Zadorov are very similar players right? Yet you’re calling McCabe a top 4 guy and not Zadorov?
McCabe only gets more minutes because Toronto’s defence is thinner. He wouldn’t get that on Vancouver and Zadorov would get 20 mins a night if he and McCabe swapped places.

Just seems like you’re bias on the situation more than actually offering anything constructive.

They are no where near similar as one's trusted in a top 4 role the other is not. Zadorov is a 3rd pair Dman

McCabe plays over 20mins a game, Zadorov is playing 17mins or less a game

Only thing in common is they physical thats it

McCabe on every team he has been on has been in the top 4. Zadorov in his last 2 teams 3rd pair

Again if Zadorov was a top 4 Dman why is he below Soucy?. Answer Van knows his place
Mar. 25 at 10:27 p.m.

May wanna do a little ground work on Carrier. Guy has more grind to his game than you think. Build more like a truck than a tree.

But your options are certainly viable. Just think Roy is unobtainable based on what I think he gets.
Mar. 25 at 10:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
May wanna do a little ground work on Carrier. Guy has more grind to his game than you think. Build more like a truck than a tree.

But your options are certainly viable. Just think Roy is unobtainable based on what I think he gets.

Look at the Dcore VGK used to win the cup then come back

Carrier is undersized for playoffs. Dont matter if he plays a certain way undersized Dman, unless your name is Makar dont work
Mar. 25 at 10:29 p.m.

Zadorov is again not a top 4 guy. If he was why is Van not playing him in the top 4. 17 mins is not top 4 mins. Look at how much McCabe plays the answer more than 17mins lul

And if we had Carson Soucy on a 3rd pair, McCabe wouldn't be playing 20 minutes. Benoit (I love him) is a step back.

Vancouver's blueline is more balanced. Can roll the pairings. Keefe would never do such a thing, even if he had the talent. Point is he doesn't
Mar. 25 at 10:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 25 at 10:38 p.m.
And if we had Carson Soucy on a 3rd pair, McCabe wouldn't be playing 20 minutes. Benoit (I love him) is a step back.

Vancouver's blueline is more balanced. Can roll the pairings. Keefe would never do such a thing, even if he had the talent. Point is he doesn't

McCabe has been playing around 20mins through his career. Even if we had Soucy, McCabe would play 20mins

Look at last year when we had Gio or Gustafsson on the third pair McCabe avg 19:28mins a game

Rn TOR had Edmundson playing almost 18mins a night on the third pair but still has McCabe at the over 20min mark. Basically Edmundson is playing more than Zadorov in the third pair spot.

Its more to do so how much the guy is trusted. Soucy was third pair the majority of his career but when he went to Van he took the 2nd pair spot. If Zadorov was a top 4 D he would have outplayed Soucy for it and took it but so far Soucy has that spot

Again would be a big waste of cap and time. If we want a LD so bad just bring back Edmundson for 1.5m
Mar. 25 at 10:35 p.m.
The pens tell the leafs to go take a flying leap. Poulin is likely making the team next year. Their goal is to get younger, not trade solid prospects for bottom 6 players.
Mar. 25 at 10:37 p.m.

Did you not read what I said? Zadorov only gets 17 mins because Vancouver has a much better defence. As a matter of fact, Zadorov isn’t much outside of top 4 mins in Vancouver. He’s literally 10 seconds behind the top 4 and that’s made up by situations (sometimes guys get stuck out there longer than others). They also have Hughes playing a full minute more than Toronto has Rielly play which takes away from other guys. Like do you know how hockey works?

They are no where near similar as one's trusted in a top 4 role the other is not. Zadorov is a 3rd pair Dman

McCabe plays over 20mins a game, Zadorov is playing 17mins or less a game

Only thing in common is they physical thats it

McCabe on every team he has been on has been in the top 4. Zadorov in his last 2 teams 3rd pair

Again if Zadorov was a top 4 Dman why is he below Soucy?. Answer Van knows his place

Go watch some games. Zadorov and McCabe are very very similar guys but Zadorov is more physical and more feared.

& how do you know McCabe wants to extend in Toronto? Maybe he wants to play closer to home? Or likely not in Canada because of the high tax situation. There’s no guarantee that he’s there beyond his contract so you get assurances before you have a gaping hole that you can’t fix.

Man at this point you seem like a troll.
Mar. 25 at 10:39 p.m.
McCabe has been playing around 20mins through his career. Even if we had Soucy, McCabe would play 20mins

Look at last year when we had Gio or Gustafsson on the third pair McCabe avg 19:28mins a game

Rn TOR had Edmundson playing almost 18mins a night on the third pair but still has McCabe at the over 20min mark. Basically Edmundson and Zadorov are playing the same amount of mins rn.

Its more to do so how much the guy is trusted. Soucy was third pair the majority of his career but when he went to Van he took the 2nd pair spot. If Zadorov was a top 4 D he would have outplayed Soucy for it and took it but so far Soucy has that spot

Gustaffson barely played as a Leaf and Giordano is one of the oldest players in the league.. McCabe has to play more. Both Giordano and Gustaffson were #8 defenders. You’re not helping your point at all.
Mar. 25 at 10:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Did you not read what I said? Zadorov only gets 17 mins because Vancouver has a much better defence. As a matter of fact, Zadorov isn’t much outside of top 4 mins in Vancouver. He’s literally 10 seconds behind the top 4 and that’s made up by situations (sometimes guys get stuck out there longer than others). They also have Hughes playing a full minute more than Toronto has Rielly play which takes away from other guys. Like do you know how hockey works?

Go watch some games. Zadorov and McCabe are very very similar guys but Zadorov is more physical and more feared.

& how do you know McCabe wants to extend in Toronto? Maybe he wants to play closer to home? Or likely not in Canada because of the high tax situation. There’s no guarantee that he’s there beyond his contract so you get assurances before you have a gaping hole that you can’t fix.

Man at this point you seem like a troll.

So if they are similar why is one playing 20mins a night and the other just slightly over 17mins

Again one is a top 4 D the other is a third pair guy we have 0 need for

McCabe had every other Canadian team on his M-NTC he was fine coming to TOR. Why would he not extend here. If they offer him a nice contract dont see why he wouldnt stay lul

As said before and will leave it with this spending 4m on a 3rd pair Dman makes 0 sense.

And Van's defense really aint much better. Other than the top pair its pretty much the same

Soucy-Myers
Zadorov-Juelsson
Cole

vs.

Brodie-McCabe
Edmundson-Liligren
Benoit

Not much difference big third pair Dman playing 17mins a night.
Mar. 25 at 10:43 p.m.
Quoting: Hockeyfan1234
The pens tell the leafs to go take a flying leap. Poulin is likely making the team next year. Their goal is to get younger, not trade solid prospects for bottom 6 players.

I’d have to strongly disagree with that. If Poulin was part of their long term plans you’d think he’d have more than 3 career NHL games by now since he’s 23 already. He hasn’t shown any consistency or fit Sullivan’s system in the past so why is next season the difference? Not to mention that next season he’ll require to waivers to be sent down so you risk losing him for nothing.
As for Jarnkrok, maybe you should get to know the player. He’s a 15-20 goal scorer that’s highly responsible defensively and can skate well. He’s loved by coaches and trusted in every situation. He’s the exact type of guy that you bring in for depth scoring which has been Pittsburgh’s biggest flaw this season. & not to mention that Jarnkrok is on a great contract and has a history with Dubas.. not so sure they’d be telling anyone to go take a flying leap.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll