Forums/Armchair-GM

Renaud Lavoie floating Necas idea

Created by: Wreckless
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 31, 2024
Published: Mar. 31, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
2024-2025 for cup number 25. The year of LTIR.
Habs can work out a trade for Necas if Canes don’t want to pay him what the Habs will. If they do value him to his full extent, then this is moot.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$875,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$6,435,185
2$918,000
2$918,000
2$812,500
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$8,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Celebrini, Mack
3$950,000
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Necas, Martin$6,435,185
2025 1st round pick
2025 3rd round pick
Trades
PIT
    For whatever the return
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    24$87,700,000$88,035,268$1,022,500$4,920,000-$335,268
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $6,435,185$6,435,185
    RW
    RFA
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $7,850,000$7,850,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 7
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    C
    UFA - 6
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    $2,900,000$2,900,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 3
    $3,362,500$3,362,500
    C, RW
    RFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Celebrini, Mack
    $950,000$950,000
    $812,500$812,500
    RW, LW
    RFA
    $812,500$812,500
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,700,000$1,700,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,875,000$4,875,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $6,100,000$6,100,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $3,150,000$3,150,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $890,000$890,000
    G
    RFA - 1
    $918,000$918,000
    LD/RD
    RFA
    $875,000$875,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $875,000$875,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $4,450,000$4,450,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 3
    $766,667$766,667
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $918,000$918,000
    RD
    RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 31 at 12:23 p.m.
    Jesus Christ Is King
    Quoting: Caniac2000
    Actually, Caufield got shutout.... so he didn't do anything against Carolina's third line.

But, Necas is the better player. Caufield's success is dependent on his teammates. Necas is succeeding in SPITE of his linemates. That's what you're missing

But whom did he play against SMH ?
    Your ignore the point made to deflect , again i wouldnt do that.
    I'd just make a counter point not try to argue a player on the top line facing top line players doing more at the same age as Necas is a negative.

Context will always matter.
    Like you arguing Necas success was dependent on his teammates.
    Then when confronted on it deflect it on to Caufield lol
    Its a sign of Defeat

Necas is great and i pay him the respect he deserves, thats where we differ
    I never called him less then in fact i called him currently better then but pointed out Caufield youth's on his side
    I pointed out the contextual comparisons between the two who started at the same age in the NHL and showed the difference in rate of growth
    Caufield went all the way from 4th line to 1st to AHL to 1st line again in his Journey and still finished ahead of Necas at the same age

MTL and CAR differed in developmental choices is the main reason why as MTL wasnt happy with Caufield settling for bottom 6 minutes hence the AHL stint.
    He came back and has earned his top 6 role ever since as it lit a fire under him

Necas maybe slightly better now by 3pts there or 1-2% on CF/FF there or a fraction of a point on P/60 but he's 2 years older and Pro 2 years longer. . . It'd be sad if he wasnt ahead of him. Caufield as he rises will continue to grow under MSL who made a career out of using his size and skill to his advantage despite being so small.
    So i feel a lot more confident we'll continue to do whats best for Cole Development as a Top line player, Can CAR say that?

Caufield has that working to his advantage for sure but he stepped up and took that role , it wasnt handed to him.
    He took that role originally beside Toffoli and Suzuki but he solidified it was his beside no one as he's been pushed by MSL Publicly.
    MSL was judged for giving Slaf the spots Caufield usually shoots from and he said "1 trick pony's dont last in todays NHL"
    MSL went on to say he expects more of him and wants to push him to adapt to all situations.

Your Coach ever make public declarations about Necas being a key player he's investing the same effort in to challenge him like that?
    In 2 years time he'll be where Necas is just as a more dominant Goal Scorer
    Mar. 31 at 1:40 p.m.
    Necas had a better PPG at the same age though... so the age factor doesn't matter here. Oh, but that doesn't fit your narrative! Shame...

While I think they’re pretty close and as of rn would take Necas, Caufield actually had a better PPG at the same age

Necas age 23: 0.51 PPG
    Caufield age 23: 0.75 PPG

Necas age 22: 0.77 PPG
    Caufield age 22: 0.78 PPG

Necas age 21: 0.56 PPG
    Caufield age 21: 0.64 PPG
    Billy316 liked this.
    Mar. 31 at 2:05 p.m.
    Prime Primeau
    Quoting: Billy316
    They both turned Pro at 20
    Both were in year 3 at 23
    Caufields ahead in 2/3 first seasons head to head so far
    He only lost last year as he was out on injury.
    But Year 1 had CC 42 and MN at 36
    Year 2 it had CC at 36 and MN at 41

So its pretty much equal until now as Caufields getting over 50 pts for the 1st time a year ahead of Necas while scoring 69 goals to MN 44 goals.
    Even set back by injuries he finished ahead of Necas in the grand scheme of things. I think they see it too , that CC is just a younger Necas level players who can score goals

In pace and ppg, Caufield smokes Necas
    Billy316 liked this.
    Mar. 31 at 2:09 p.m.
    Prime Primeau
    Necas had a better PPG at the same age though... so the age factor doesn't matter here. Oh, but that doesn't fit your narrative! Shame...

Ah yes the better ppg at the same age.

Necas ppg at 20 : 0,56

Caufield ppg at 20 : 0.64

Necas ppg at 21 : 0.77

Caufield ppg at 21 : 0.78

Necas ppg at 22 : 0.51

Caufield ppg at 22 : 0.75

Not only are you wrong, but by quite a lot (except the second year, where the difference is pretty much nothing)
    Billy316 and mv21227 liked this.
    Mar. 31 at 2:14 p.m.
    Jesus Christ Is King
    Quoting: GuyGuyGuy
    In pace and ppg, Caufield smokes Necas

I think Necas is great but i just dont see him fitting in
    What we need is either Monahan or Toffoli back for 1-2 years or both.
    Or go after McBain in ARZ and or Torpochenko in STL to give MTL a solid 3rd line to create space for the other lines.
    McBain and Torpochenko whether you play them with Armia, Anderson or Dach next year that 3rd line will be a hard hitting line with some speed to it to go with their size.
    They're players at the right age that play the right style that MTL can build up while the youth develop

If we make those moves we wont have to give up a roster player we dont want to in order to make a deal.
    Both players are good but not that good. More of a high draft pick and a prospect or something along the lines of that base package.

Necas is great i just dont see how he's a fit , even though i really want him to be... i just dont see it
    Mar. 31 at 5:31 p.m.
    Prime Primeau
    I think Necas is great but i just dont see him fitting in
    What we need is either Monahan or Toffoli back for 1-2 years or both.
    Or go after McBain in ARZ and or Torpochenko in STL to give MTL a solid 3rd line to create space for the other lines.
    McBain and Torpochenko whether you play them with Armia, Anderson or Dach next year that 3rd line will be a hard hitting line with some speed to it to go with their size.
    They're players at the right age that play the right style that MTL can build up while the youth develop

If we make those moves we wont have to give up a roster player we dont want to in order to make a deal.
    Both players are good but not that good. More of a high draft pick and a prospect or something along the lines of that base package.

Necas is great i just dont see how he's a fit , even though i really want him to be... i just dont see it

I think he would be a great fit with Dach, but I don’t think he is necessary. I really like McBain. I feel he could be a solid 2c and become a 60 pts player a la Hagel.

Another option is Holtz, who shouldn’t cost that much more than what we paid for Newhook and could bring some necessary scoring into the team.

Montreal’s have 2 needs rn. 1 is secondary scoring, and with Mesar, Beck, Heineman, etc. coming up and the addition of a player like McBain or Holtz, we’ll be good. 2 is a superstar 90 pts forward. I love Suzuki but ideally, he is our second or third best player. This issue can easily be resolved with a good first round pick. Celebrini, Demidov or Catton would be ideal. If not, Lindstrom, Eiserman, Igilna, Helenius and Connelly have that potential, but the likelyhood of that happenning is lower
    Mar. 31 at 6:43 p.m.
    Jesus Christ Is King
    I think he would be a great fit with Dach, but I don’t think he is necessary. I really like McBain. I feel he could be a solid 2c and become a 60 pts player a la Hagel.

Another option is Holtz, who shouldn’t cost that much more than what we paid for Newhook and could bring some necessary scoring into the team.

Montreal’s have 2 needs rn. 1 is secondary scoring, and with Mesar, Beck, Heineman, etc. coming up and the addition of a player like McBain or Holtz, we’ll be good. 2 is a superstar 90 pts forward. I love Suzuki but ideally, he is our second or third best player. This issue can easily be resolved with a good first round pick. Celebrini, Demidov or Catton would be ideal. If not, Lindstrom, Eiserman, Igilna, Helenius and Connelly have that potential, but the likelyhood of that happenning is lower

Suzuki's Capable and consistent
    As our D becomes more consistent and our Goaltending Tandem gets comfortable together
    We'll see Suzuki get better as he has every since year since entering the NHL
    Sure sometimes its not by much of a margin but its still constant improvement from a player who's there every game , every year.

I see him more like Bergeron just looking for his Krejci to back him up on 2nd C
    Monahan's a great interim Middle 6 guy but long term not the answer
    Mcbain though has all the intangibles that make him a real good fit which is why Hughes was trying to sign him so hard after his NCAA stint

On a 4 line team with Slaf, Caufield, Dach,Newhook, Roy stepping up and Beck, Mesar, Kapanen and possibly even F.Xhekaj stealing a spot at Camp ... MTL has a lot of irons in the fire.
    If half those later 4 break through we're sitting pretty and Florian Xhekaj is having himself a coming out Party since Switching to Center as he controls the "3rd circle" or "The House".
    His size and Projection depending on his finish in this years playoffs there's a real chance he could take that 4th C spot and work his way up over time like Colton Sissons did.

All that said we dont have a Holtz or a Mcbain
    Either would work but if we get Holtz we should re-sign Monahan for Center depth short term
    With McBain im a little less concerned about that really and we got tons of wing support even if not many Young RW(that play RW anyways)

I mean Suzuki might not hit 90 this year or even Next
    But with whats coming and if he keeps his Ironman streak alive then Statistically the odds are in his favor.
    It really depends on our depth being able to handle and shutdown top 6 forward lines though as it will allow MSL to take advantage of Match Ups.
    Thats not a Luxury he has now as he will always start Line 1 vs line 1 cause when we dont we get scored on inside 5 minutes in the 1st period.
    If he can start getting better match ups i think his nearly a point per game pace takes a boost.

IF only Danault and KK had stayed we'd see by now what he's truly capable of
    All that said if we get Demidov or Lidstrom .... holy crap is things gonna get Crazy in MTL for years to come
    GuyGuyGuy liked this.
    Apr. 2 at 4:40 p.m.
    Wreckless
    Not only will the Canes pay Necas that, they'd pay Guentzel that... you're abut 1.25 million short on any serious Necas offer just for his value, if you want a successful offer sheet, you have to go north of 8, and that's a dangerous game

My guess in that scenario is they’d work out a trade. And then a 1 year bridge ahead of a long term extension would make sense for both sides. Especially if that’s the roster and Habs are trying to win a cup.
    Apr. 2 at 4:42 p.m.
    Wreckless
    To get Necas, we would have to give up a big piece. So, our 2024 first. It could also be Caufield, but Carolina are adding in a Caufield - Necas swap as Caufield is undoubtedly the superior player

2 years until UFA, so, no, not that much.
    Apr. 5 at 9:09 a.m.
    Wreckless
    Quoting: jfkst1
    "For whatever the return" would be absolutely massive. Letang might only take a late 1st rounder. Crosby leaving PIT means millions in revenue leaving with him even for only a single season. FSG would only do that for a MASSIVE return that Crosby's on ice production isn't worth. Think around four first round picks.

For 1 year until UFA? Nah.
    Apr. 5 at 9:09 a.m.
    Wreckless
    Quoting: SharkTank
    Bergy isn't Habs GM anymore.

Offer sheet is unlikely.

Agree, makes more sense to work out a deal.
    Apr. 6 at 9:42 a.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"
    Quoting: Wreckless
    For 1 year until UFA? Nah.

Again, you're ignoring the business side which is the only reason NHL franchises exist. One season of Crosby leaving is millions in revenue leaving with him. FSG isn't doing that without an overpayment.
    Apr. 6 at 9:46 a.m.
    Wreckless
    Again, you're ignoring the business side which is the only reason NHL franchises exist. One season of Crosby leaving is millions in revenue leaving with him. FSG isn't doing that without an overpayment.

Pens won’t want to make an enemy out of Sid by disrespecting his wishes. That would be insanely bad business for ownership for the long term. And Sid could wait a year to leave, after the Pens piss him off, and then the Pens get zero on top of an angry Crosby.
    Apr. 6 at 10:06 a.m.
    Banned
    Thats like saying Jerry Seinfeld is a less talent Larry David
    i can see how one would argue it , doesnt make it true
    MSL our Coach is living proof that being small doesnt mean being less than
    It simply means they're smaller

When ppl say Caufield is small and that is somehow...this huge disadvantage?... it lets me know they dont understand how physics or the game is played.

Caufield's center of gravity is so low and he's so strong on his skates that he's almost impossible to check in transition and just squirts by you with guys swinging their arms at him then missing continually instead of using a shoulder or hip.
    The problem with his size is that he needs someone like a Skafkovsky to fish out pucks.
    Caufield as I said is a great piece in the puzzle to complement guys but I wouldn't necessarily start a franchise with him because you need those hard to find pieces like Slafkovsky to complement him. This is team building after all I thought on this site.
    Caufield's all time low shooting percentage and league low shooting % among shooters over 200 SOG will correct itself and Cole will be a 40 goal scorer for a decade playing with Nick and Slaf. Hes top10 in shots this year and ill go over 300SOG with the shoulder injury that has clearly effected him. We've seen this before with players like Tarasenko coming off an injury before a bounce back from a shoulder surgery.
    Billy316 and Wreckless liked this.
    Apr. 6 at 10:32 a.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"
    Quoting: Wreckless
    Pens won’t want to make an enemy out of Sid by disrespecting his wishes. That would be insanely bad business for ownership for the long term. And Sid could wait a year to leave, after the Pens piss him off, and then the Pens get zero on top of an angry Crosby.

NHL orgs. exist to make money. Crosby leaving loses PIT money. Even in a single season. They would be better served keeping him for his last season and letting him leave in UFA than taking a bad deal that costs them money in the short term with no good long term. Unlike fans on here, the money to ownership is real and not monopoly money. So that is a primary factor for teams. Also why PIT and many other teams don't rebuild once their contenting window is closed.
    Apr. 6 at 8:24 p.m.
    Jesus Christ Is King
    NHL orgs. exist to make money. Crosby leaving loses PIT money. Even in a single season. They would be better served keeping him for his last season and letting him leave in UFA than taking a bad deal that costs them money in the short term with no good long term. Unlike fans on here, the money to ownership is real and not monopoly money. So that is a primary factor for teams. Also why PIT and many other teams don't rebuild once their contenting window is closed.

Disagree
    It just means Malkin gets more spotlight
    Its like EDM when Gretzky left people talked ****
    But under Messier they won another Cup (and 3 of them on NYR won another)

Crosby leaving doesnt mean less money
    It just means they better sign a star in the off season with his cap if they want to cover Jersey sales
    While Malkins , Letangs ,Karlsson,ext would increase
    I think PIT from a financial POV could sign Fleury back to a deal and cover Jersey Sales gap short term

PIT has options especially if they have cap after the draft before July 1st when panicking franchises make bad more cheap.
    Taking PLD contract from LAK for example could work

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll