Forums/Armchair-GM

Big CGY trade sets up big UFA

Created by: DopeGM
Team: 2024-25 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: May 4, 2024
Published: May 4, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Wings are my second favourite team. Homer AGM job I know. I could see Stamkos signing if Kane signs. But the two of them are pretty darn expensive and Stamkos won’t take a discount.

All this cap gymnastics and not ending up with a top 4 is also a bad look. Late night GMing I guess :)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$850,000
8$8,500,000
3$6,500,000
3$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,000,000
1$2,750,000
3$8,000,000
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,500,000$90,194,307$0$1,850,000-$2,694,307
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NTC
UFA - 7
$8,500,000$8,500,000
RW, LW
RFA
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LW, C
UFA
$5,100,000$5,100,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW
UFA
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, LW
UFA
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
RFA
$886,667$886,667 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
C
RFA - 3
$905,833$905,833
LW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
RFA
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
G
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD
RFA
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 4 at 1:39 a.m.
Not trading our first for an old as **** goalie lol.
May 4 at 1:43 a.m.
First round bust
Quoting: DanielSan92

Not trading a top goalie for a bunch of overpaid spare parts in: Holl, Husso, and Maatta. All these guys are dime a dozen and can be had for less in free agency.
May 4 at 1:48 a.m.
Serious armchairGM:)

You’re trading the first for the cap room really.
May 4 at 1:57 a.m.
Pop Pop
You can't push that much bad cap on Calgary and still come away with markstrom. Maybe you could get Husso or Maatta or Holl but not all three.
May 4 at 2:48 a.m.
Quoting: Bast
Not trading a top goalie for a bunch of overpaid spare parts in: Holl, Husso, and Maatta. All these guys are dime a dozen and can be had for less in free agency.

Not sure what you didn't understand. I don't give two ****s about Markstrom at all.
May 4 at 2:49 a.m.
Quoting: DopeGM
You’re trading the first for the cap room really.

Don't need it for a 1st. Thanks.
May 4 at 6:27 a.m.
Remove Husso + one of Holl or Maatta and Calgary considers it.
May 4 at 6:37 a.m.
Not sure what you didn't understand. I don't give two ****s about Markstrom at all.

Well it's a good thing Detroit hired a wise scout like you to recognize talent
Bast and MoxNix liked this.
May 4 at 7:12 a.m.
Markstrom isn't worth paying a first for, even with all that bad cap going back. We aren't good enough to be dropping firsts for over the hill players. He would get just as lit up as our goalies this year with that defense.
Shaquille_Oatmeal liked this.
May 4 at 7:39 a.m.

Just ignoring that there is pick #15 included? I'm definitely not trading a potential Anton Silayev/Liam Greentree/Michael Brandsegg-Nygård for a 34y old goalie. Think about it from the Red Wings perspective - Husso & Holl can be bought out for cheap and Määttä holds little value still. Just need to do a little bit of Cap gymnastic and we can make it work.

When was the last time we saw an old goaltender get a Top 20 pick + a decent young player in return?
Why would a rebuilding team trade for a goaltender who isn't even here when we're truely competing?
May 4 at 8:04 a.m.
With Kane and Stamkos and Raymond ascending you’re competing! The love affair with picks is the most dangerous of elixirs. Those guys you name? Not going to make or break your contender status!

I didn’t even create this to discuss the merits of the Markstrom deal. I made it to see what a team with Kane and Stamkos on it looks like. That’s a really nice three year window if you ask me.
MoxNix liked this.
May 4 at 8:09 a.m.
Quoting: Jfstompers
You can't push that much bad cap on Calgary and still come away with markstrom. Maybe you could get Husso or Maatta or Holl but not all three.

Yzerman doesn’t do this deal or any deal involving his first unless he’s got a keen eye on a Stamkos or Ekblad level UFA. I debated throwing Fabbri into the deal as well.
May 4 at 8:23 a.m.
First round bust
Quoting: Shaquille_Oatmeal
Just ignoring that there is pick #15 included? I'm definitely not trading a potential Anton Silayev/Liam Greentree/Michael Brandsegg-Nygård for a 34y old goalie. Think about it from the Red Wings perspective - Husso & Holl can be bought out for cheap and Määttä holds little value still. Just need to do a little bit of Cap gymnastic and we can make it work.

When was the last time we saw an old goaltender get a Top 20 pick + a decent young player in return?
Why would a rebuilding team trade for a goaltender who isn't even here when we're truely competing?

Not ignoring it, it's a decent pick and I think Markstrom alone is worth it.

Taken 15th from 2003-2018: Denisenko, Brannstrom, Kunin, Senyshyn, Larkin, Pulock, Ceci, Miller, Forbort, Holland, Karlsson, Plante, Helenius, O'Marra, Radulov, R. Nilsson.

There are 3/15(20%) great players - Karlsson, Miller and Larkin. And another 2/15(13%) I would be pretty happy with as draft picks/return for Markstrom - Pulock, Radulov. The other 10/15 are mostly busts and replacement level.

Until those players make an impact in the NHL they're just names on a page.

Taking Berggren for 3 cap dumps isn't something I'm too keen on.
MoxNix liked this.
May 4 at 9:09 a.m.
Not ignoring it, it's a decent pick and I think Markstrom alone is worth it.

Taken 15th from 2003-2018: Denisenko, Brannstrom, Kunin, Senyshyn, Larkin, Pulock, Ceci, Miller, Forbort, Holland, Karlsson, Plante, Helenius, O'Marra, Radulov, R. Nilsson.

There are 3/15(20%) great players - Karlsson, Miller and Larkin. And another 2/15(13%) I would be pretty happy with as draft picks/return for Markstrom - Pulock, Radulov. The other 10/15 are mostly busts and replacement level.

Until those players make an impact in the NHL they're just names on a page.

Taking Berggren for 3 cap dumps isn't something I'm too keen on.

Okay, which player would you rather keep as a Flames fan Matt Coronato or Markström?
May 4 at 9:49 a.m.
First round bust
Okay, which player would you rather keep as a Flames fan Matt Coronato or Markström?

I can keep both so that's a moot point. Obviously, we're headed into a rebuild, so Coronato has a much better chance of helping the team in 3+ years. Markstrom's benefit would come in mentoring Wolf, and potentially increasing his ceiling, which I won't be able to gauge. Markstrom is also going to be the better player than Coronato in the next 2 years, so he will contribute to more wins and points in the standings(which we don't need).

As for Detroit, if you're still rebuilding, then sure keep your prospects, however if you're looking for players that will help you win this year then Markstrom is worth more to you than a 20% chance on someone better.
May 4 at 10:51 a.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Well it's a good thing Detroit hired a wise scout like you to recognize talent

It’s a good thing Yzerman’s not dumb enough to sell firsts for 34 year olds when almost his entire core is still U23 and not in the NHL. 😂

Your ownership probably should’ve taken that first when NJD was offering it, instead of foolishly thinking they could compete if they kept Markstrom.
May 4 at 11:17 a.m.
First round bust
It’s a good thing Yzerman’s not dumb enough to sell firsts for 34 year olds when almost his entire core is still U23 and not in the NHL. 😂

Your ownership probably should’ve taken that first when NJD was offering it, instead of foolishly thinking they could compete if they kept Markstrom.

He's just dumb enough to sign Chiarot to that anchor of a contract. The same applies to Vrana, Holl, Husso, and Maatta. I guess that's why you guys are trying to dump those contracts on us.

Didn't Stevie Y, the Wizard, trade for Nick Leddy? Didn't he move up so he can draft Cossa ahead of Wyatt Johnston? That Hronek kid is also doing alright on the first pairing in VAN, but at least you have 36 y.o. Petry as a replacement.

But hey I guess our ownership is stupid for not taking a hypothetical trade. In which Holtz was rumored for retaining 9M on Markstrom, not a 1st.
MoxNix and Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
May 4 at 11:53 a.m.
Edited May 4 at 12:00 p.m.
He's just dumb enough to sign Chiarot to that anchor of a contract. The same applies to Vrana, Holl, Husso, and Maatta. I guess that's why you guys are trying to dump those contracts on us.

Didn't Stevie Y, the Wizard, trade for Nick Leddy? Didn't he move up so he can draft Cossa ahead of Wyatt Johnston? That Hronek kid is also doing alright on the first pairing in VAN, but at least you have 36 y.o. Petry as a replacement.

But hey I guess our ownership is stupid for not taking a hypothetical trade. In which Holtz was rumored for retaining 9M on Markstrom, not a 1st.

Oh Jesus, this is what you're trying to drag your nuts on? tears of joy

Let's analyze:

Chiarot - For as much as I hated him last year, was generally fine this year. Which of our players is he impeding us from signing?

Vrana - Let's see... Vrana, 1st, Panik, (Cap dump) 2nd for Mantha. That's an easy Detroit W, even after the wheels fell off Vrana because he either couldn't or wouldn't take responsibility for his drug problem. Guess Yzerman was supposed to know about that though.

Holl - Can't really defend that one. Regardless, explain to me how signing a **** D for nothing is the same as trading a first for an old as ****, mediocre for the last two years goalie.

Husso - Injuries. **** defense. Again, explain to me how trading a 3rd is the same as trading a first for an old as **** mediocre goalie.

Maatta - Has been fine. Gave Hronek the best hockey of his career at that point and raised his trade value. Try again.

Leddy - Leddy? Your big "Gotcha" is LEDDY? Yeah, let's analyze. Traded a 2nd (52) for Leddy. Turned around at the deadline and traded Leddy for a 2nd, (42) Sundqvist, and Walman. Trying to figure out how moving up 10 picks and adding Walman is a bad move. Maybe in your warped brain you can explain that, though. wink

Cossa/Johnston - Hindsight is cute, but the reality is if we're using hindsight, Johnston would've been gone before Detroit's pick. It's a cute argument if Detroit drafted a bust, but seeing as Cossa has largely outplayed both Wallstedt and Askarov this year, not a very good one. Damn bro, we're really kicking ourselves for grabbing a stud goalie prospect. Ya got me!

Hronek - Yeah he's playing great in a contract year! If only we weren't seeing semi-frequent VAN threads exploring the possibility of trading him because of his contract demands. I'm sure a $50M+ contract for a guy having by far a career year will age well. It's working great for you guys with Huberdeau, right?!

Nevermind that Hronek was never playing on the first pairing in Detroit again unless Seider got hurt... Or the fact that we drafted ASP out of that trade.

LMAO. Good job bud. You really zinged me.
May 4 at 3:40 p.m.

If we were trying to be competitive then Markstrom no question.

Guys is a gamer and a legitimately good #1 goalie that can play 50+ and a locker room leader by all accounts.

Coronato has potential to be a top line player *one day*.

Markstrom makes you for more competitive over the next 3 the a prospect does.
May 4 at 5:33 p.m.

Do you even know your own team????
May 4 at 7:41 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Do you even know your own team????

Do you? Tell me who Yzerman's traded any significant asset for over 30?

Go ahead. I'll wait.
May 4 at 10:24 p.m.
This got a little angry!

The Detroit pick is valuable. There’s no doubt. I just don’t think it’s all that valuable to Detroit relative to its value in the trade market.

Argue about value and targets all you want what I would like to see is a big push. Trade the pick. Shed bad pieces. Make the one or two big swing type moves. It’s time.
MoxNix liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll