SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2024 2025 Offseason Discussion Part 1: Kill or Be Killed

May 24 at 11:22 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
You must know that in the very near future many teams will have at least 3 guys making over 10 million. Had the pandemic not caused the cap to stay flat for 4 seasons, it would already be the case. But this is arguments with you, nothing exists beyond your opinion and you ignore everything that doesn't fit your rhetoric. It's just silly.

But that's the issue with the Leafs, they never adapt,

The players don't, the coaching staff doesn't and management doesn't either... That's why they are in this mess

Quoting: aadoyle
The nonsense is wanting the leafs to keep running it back despite years of failure and defending these 3 guys despite the lackluster results (Willy's the only one who gets a pass for now)

And dont go blaming the coach like a broken record its not just him this team has its flaws and the focal point is paying 3-4 guys over 10m

At this point excusing them and saying we should keep em is the definition of insanity

Lets waste more time and then by the time we finally all realize hey this didnt work Matthews will be going see yah. Last thing we want is to become SJS 2.0

One day you will realize what we have all come to see along with Leafs management till then good luck as this is getting ridiculous to continue lul

One playoffs above a PPG... Nobody gets a pass for having as long of a RD1 drought as they do....
aadoyle liked this.
May 24 at 12:17 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Nyqvist had himself one of those overacheiving seasons and is 34. He would not be the guy I would want coming back as sort of one of the main pieces

Saros is a top 10 goalie in the NHL rn, Fabbro is 25 and a nice defensive Dman, and Woods a top 15 pick in last years draft. Basically kill 3 birds with one stone

For where Fabbro would succeed here vs. Liligren there was a chart explaining it a while ago to where he was one of NSH better defenders putting up some good stats with and without Josi. While the offensive upside is less then defense is better.

Nyquist would be salary filler, the main course is Saros and Wood.

Fabbro, if Liljegren is not good enough, either is Fabbro.
We need 2x 2 way D man minimum.
Bring back Bosch for 3rd pair role if he takes 2 million
May 24 at 2:49 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Nyqvist had himself one of those overacheiving seasons and is 34. He would not be the guy I would want coming back as sort of one of the main pieces

Saros is a top 10 goalie in the NHL rn, Fabbro is 25 and a nice defensive Dman, and Woods a top 15 pick in last years draft. Basically kill 3 birds with one stone

For where Fabbro would succeed here vs. Liligren there was a chart explaining it a while ago to where he was one of NSH better defenders putting up some good stats with and without Josi. While the offensive upside is less then defense is better.

Quoting: Random2152
Target is the guy I've been yelling about for the last year and a half. Sam Dickinson. But I don't know that he will still be there at 6

Big body LD nice, anyone else to consider?
Our RD development looks sad right now.
May 24 at 4:03 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Trickster

Big body LD nice, anyone else to consider?
Our RD development looks sad right now.

Not really. Hasn't been a bit of the draft I've looked into
May 24 at 4:47 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
But you have to remember; it's Crouse, McBain, 6th OA, Down AND 6 mill in cap space

Personnally, I'd rather leave Crouse out of it and get picks that I can flip into a good young player

It's more like $4m in cap space, but that's not lost on me. Doesn't change my opinion.
May 24 at 5:00 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I'm looking at contract projections and there are a few here I'd take a gamble on. Kyllington at a Benny number is for sure a good bet. Not too old and Trev has lots of familiarity with him.

Lebanc an beau would also be decent depth bets
Trickster, NorthernLeafsFan05, LeafsFanForSomeReason and 1 other person liked this.
May 24 at 5:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I'm looking at contract projections and there are a few here I'd take a gamble on. Kyllington at a Benny number is for sure a good bet. Not too old and Trev has lots of familiarity with him.

Been watching some guys I want for B6 including some bet on deals

Vrana, Pacioretty and Arvidsson are intriguing 1 year deal candidates

With McCabe, Rielly, and Benoit idk about Kylington due to the LD status and if its for the number 7 probs Rafai or that guy we signed 2 weeks ago will probs be it and both I believe be on league min

Also its funny how some of these projections have guys making way more or less than they should

Dumba at 3m huh
May 24 at 5:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Honestly man im stuck on OTT as a trade partner for Marner. NSH is the close second but in terms of forward value OTT is the team

Something like

Marner + Timmins for Greig + Batherson + Chycrun would not be bad IMO

You get 2 nice wings and a top 4 Dman for Marner with Timmins as the throw in

Chycrun can take over PP1 moving Rielly to PP2
oneX liked this.
May 24 at 6:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Per Lebrun Domi and Bertuzzi are discussing long term extensions with TOR in the 5-6m range

Meanwhile Serevalli projects

3.5m x 2 years for Domi 5.25m x 4 years for Bertuzzi

Im gonna guess both 5 years slightly less money
May 24 at 6:27 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Honestly man im stuck on OTT as a trade partner for Marner. NSH is the close second but in terms of forward value OTT is the team

Something like

Marner + Timmins for Greig + Batherson + Chycrun would not be bad IMO

You get 2 nice wings and a top 4 Dman for Marner with Timmins as the throw in

Chycrun can take over PP1 moving Rielly to PP2

I'd want Pinto and Kleven
oneX liked this.
May 24 at 6:50 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Per Lebrun Domi and Bertuzzi are discussing long term extensions with TOR in the 5-6m range

Meanwhile Serevalli projects

3.5m x 2 years for Domi 5.25m x 4 years for Bertuzzi

Im gonna guess both 5 years slightly less money

Lebrun didn't actually say that. He's just making up numbers.

But also if this is what playing in Toronto does to players salaries (Domi shouldn't be in line for a raise imo), we should never extend depth, and instead just offer new guys 1 year deals with the knowledge that Toronto's hacks will inflate their next contract.

In that vein of thinking, Lindholm on a 1 year deal next to JT could be cool
May 24 at 7:06 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
But that's the issue with the Leafs, they never adapt,

The players don't, the coaching staff doesn't and management doesn't either... That's why they are in this mess

One playoffs above a PPG... Nobody gets a pass for having as long of a RD1 drought as they do....

Marner scored when Babcock was the coach but not much since Keefe took over. The coach deserves way more blame than he gets. Hopefully Berube does better
May 24 at 8:01 p.m.
Rip
For years everyone seemed to like to skim the edges without going to the center

Yes Marner is a 90-100 point wing in the regular season go to playoffs its Kasper especially when things get physical

Matthews hit 69 goals and yes was sick for playoffs but game 1, 3 and 4 hurt more than help his team

Matthews and Nylander also need to be better but they have at least shown more noticable stuff

Then the more they lost in the post season it started to dawn on em it dont work.

We have changed their linemates, coaches, etc when was it ever time to go maybe these guys aint working and more specific when these 4 guys salaries are making it to where we cant build a team

Other teams have not been afraid of change but some of the fans here and management seem to be shaking in their boots. Yes there is risk but there is also potential reward. More cap freedom/a new approach is never a bad thing right?

Like these 3 soon 4 guys making X amount as pushed TOR to lose some players who have become very valuable elsewhere

Zach Hyman man we sure could use one of him rn lul

Management seems to have seen the light and if all goes well Marner will be moved as to where or for what idk but change is in the air and it feels good

We changed a coach when the core were still outside their primes. Now is a real coach change.
May 24 at 8:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Lebrun didn't actually say that. He's just making up numbers.

But also if this is what playing in Toronto does to players salaries (Domi shouldn't be in line for a raise imo), we should never extend depth, and instead just offer new guys 1 year deals with the knowledge that Toronto's hacks will inflate their next contract.

In that vein of thinking, Lindholm on a 1 year deal next to JT could be cool

To me Bertuzzi should be in the 4.75m-5.25m range which is basically what Lebrun said

Domi to me should be in the Nick Paul range

Like for me rn im thinking

3.15M x 6 years Domi

5m x 5 years Bertuzzi
May 24 at 8:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
We changed a coach when the core were still outside their primes. Now is a real coach change.

Again that dont matter these were still good players and it didnt work

Prime or no prime these guys have failed year in and out. This year especially was bad

Another team would have made changes by now we kept at it to long now Marner decides his fate of where he goes and or if he's just gonna walk in FA

1 playoff win since the Matthews era started = unacceptable
May 24 at 8:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 24 at 8:36 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
I'd want Pinto and Kleven

Kleven really has not shown anything promising and Pinto's reportedly asking for a lot

Greig is younger than Pinto, can play C/LW can PK, is more physical and is still on a rookie deal

The main purpose of targeting those 3 guys is each fills a need rn
May 24 at 8:46 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Can someone go call this guy a r e t a r d?
I think im on my last strike and am only half convinced it's worth the ban
May 24 at 9:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 24 at 9:11 p.m.
Can someone go call this guy a r e t a r d?
I think im on my last strike and am only half convinced it's worth the ban

In all honesty they just joke around 99% of the time dont pay to much mind to their ACGM's
May 24 at 9:27 p.m.
Rip
Again that dont matter these were still good players and it didnt work

Prime or no prime these guys have failed year in and out. This year especially was bad

Another team would have made changes by now we kept at it to long now Marner decides his fate of where he goes and or if he's just gonna walk in FA

1 playoff win since the Matthews era started = unacceptable

Nothing matters but your opinion
May 24 at 9:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 24 at 9:43 p.m.
Nothing matters but your opinion

Again like a broken record yah go there lul

As said before its not an opinion but the fact everyone here but you seem to have not figured out

Having 3 soon 4 forwards eating the majority of the cap lead us no where.

Dont matter whose the coach, GM, etc. If these 3 soon 4 guys are eating the majority of the cap and underperform in the playoffs what yah thinks gonna happen.

The formula has not worked 2 + 2 did not = 5 everyone has figured it out but you

One day you will figure it out like the rest of us till then good luck
May 24 at 10:22 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Love the idea of bringing in LaBanc for a 3RW at 1 or so mil
Trickster liked this.
May 24 at 10:23 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Unsurprisingly, Malhotra is out with Toronto. Marc Savard will no doubt fill that role
May 24 at 10:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 24 at 10:36 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Unsurprisingly, Malhotra is out with Toronto. Marc Savard will no doubt fill that role

So they gonna bring in Savard to be the eyes in the sky?

Dont think thats what they have planned for Savard he's probs Boucher's replacement once he's gone/moved

As

Ryn was the defense coach
Malhotra was our faceoff coach/Eyes in sky
Boucher was the PP coach
and
Chynwoth was the PK coach

Will probs do a major shakeup then he becomes PP coach

My guess

Savard PP coach
Boucher + Ryn defensive coaches/eyes in sky
Chynwoth PK coach

But forgetting all that Savard over Boucher all day every day for the PP guy pls
May 24 at 11:12 p.m.
Rip
Again like a broken record yah go there lul

As said before its not an opinion but the fact everyone here but you seem to have not figured out

Having 3 soon 4 forwards eating the majority of the cap lead us no where.

Dont matter whose the coach, GM, etc. If these 3 soon 4 guys are eating the majority of the cap and underperform in the playoffs what yah thinks gonna happen.

The formula has not worked 2 + 2 did not = 5 everyone has figured it out but you

One day you will figure it out like the rest of us till then good luck

You bend everything to your opinion and call it fact. You ignored that Sammy was obviously not good enough to point at other issues. You point to cap stuff but ignore Keefe's faults. You give passes to those you like and then go off on stuff that is blatantly wrong to make your opinion appear to be facts. Actual facts don't matter, only your opinion.
May 24 at 11:34 p.m.

I’d LOVE to take a swing on Beavillier on a deal like that. Think there’s potential for real reward there

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll