SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2024 2025 Offseason Discussion Part 1: Kill or Be Killed

May 26 at 8:54 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
So if no suitors come up this summer, do we keep Mitch and try and trade him at the deadline?
Historically speaking, there isn't a huge penalty to doing that value wise
May 26 at 8:55 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: TMLBRIAN
If anyone is interested, I have my own Youtube channel talking about the Leafs. I just made a video talking about potential destinations for Marner. If anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tch2iuuovY - Hope everyone is well <3

Congrats on the growth thus far! Hoping you can get more down the line!
May 26 at 8:56 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Random2152
So if no suitors come up this summer, do we keep Mitch and try and trade him at the deadline?

https://www.nhl.com/news/sean-monahan-traded-to-winnipeg-jets-by-montreal-canadiens#:~:text=Sean%20Monahan%20was%20traded%20to,in%20the%202027%20NHL%20Draft.
https://www.nhl.com/news/jake-guentzel-traded-to-carolina-hurricanes-by-pittsburgh-penguins
May 26 at 8:59 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Leafsfan98
https://www.nhl.com/news/sean-monahan-traded-to-winnipeg-jets-by-montreal-canadiens#:~:text=Sean%20Monahan%20was%20traded%20to,in%20the%202027%20NHL%20Draft.
https://www.nhl.com/news/jake-guentzel-traded-to-carolina-hurricanes-by-pittsburgh-penguins

Contrary to popular opinion, I am not a computer - so you're gonna have to be more specific than that
May 26 at 9:33 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Contrary to popular opinion, I am not a computer - so you're gonna have to be more specific than that

Well... Sean Monahan returned a 1st+conditional 3rd roughly a month before TDL

Jake Guentzel (a much more valuable player) returned a conditional 2nd+ and a cap dump

Monahan got more value despite being a less valuable player needed to win
May 26 at 9:37 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Jake Guentzel (a much more valuable player) returned a conditional 2nd+ and a cap dump

That is not remotely an accurate description of what Guentzel got.
And the comparison you made isn't even the correct one.
Its between rentals traded in the summer vs the deadline, not rentals traded at the deadline, or a few weeks before the deadline.

Its pretty well established that full year rentals do not get a proportionally larger return compared to deadline rentals (and are thus MUCH better value for a buyers assets)
May 26 at 10:39 p.m.
Congrats on the growth thus far! Hoping you can get more down the line!

Why thank you!! smile
Leafsfan98 liked this.
May 26 at 11:29 p.m.
Cowan Season
Quoting: TMLBRIAN
If anyone is interested, I have my own Youtube channel talking about the Leafs. I just made a video talking about potential destinations for Marner. If anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tch2iuuovY - Hope everyone is well <3

I've seen your videos before and didn't even realize that was you!! Keep up the great work!

Subscribed!
TMLBRIAN liked this.
May 26 at 11:34 p.m.
Quoting: CameronSquires
I've seen your videos before and didn't even realize that was you!! Keep up the great work!

Subscribed!

Sweet thank you! smile
May 27 at 12:09 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 27 at 12:19 a.m.

I think if he's not traded this summer he's walking next year unless they win the cup. They ride the year then move on this summer as unless they have something crazy planned at the TDL it like why would either side and or Marner want to then

As any trade they plan has to be approved by him like okay we want to trade you so

1. Where do you want to go 2. Would you be willing to sign an extension with said team
May 27 at 12:40 a.m.
Cowan Season
My question to you all. If the Leafs hypothetically won the cup next year, how many years of sucking / being trash after that would you let go/disregard because of the cup?
May 27 at 1:12 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I think if he's not traded this summer he's walking next year unless they win the cup. They ride the year then move on this summer as unless they have something crazy planned at the TDL it like why would either side and or Marner want to then

As any trade they plan has to be approved by him like okay we want to trade you so

1. Where do you want to go 2. Would you be willing to sign an extension with said team

Yeah pretty much this. Either the trade happens between now and start of training camp or Marner is here for the year. I'd like him traded but not just for the sake of trading him.

My question to you all. If the Leafs hypothetically won the cup next year, how many years of sucking / being trash after that would you let go/disregard because of the cup?

My mentality on this is win 1, worry about the rest later because once you win the championship, it can't be taken away.

One championship and then 25 years of losing? So what...think of it this way..how many years are we at without a championship right now.
May 27 at 1:27 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

As sure winning is nice but I dont want it to be a 1 hit wonder like WSH or STL where its 2025 here's your cup no more for 50 more years lul

Give us a Dynasty
oneX liked this.
May 27 at 1:41 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle

As sure winning is nice but I dont want it to be a 1 hit wonder like WSH or STL where its 2025 here's your cup no more for 50 more years lul

Give us a Dynasty

You can't have a dynasty without winning one first. Win one, worry about the rest after.
May 27 at 1:42 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 27 at 1:55 a.m.
That is not remotely an accurate description of what Guentzel got.
And the comparison you made isn't even the correct one.
Its between rentals traded in the summer vs the deadline, not rentals traded at the deadline, or a few weeks before the deadline.

Its pretty well established that full year rentals do not get a proportionally larger return compared to deadline rentals (and are thus MUCH better value for a buyers assets)

Yep TDL rentals can get good value

Giroux Owen Tippett + 1st + 3rd

ROR 1st + 2nd + Abramov

Duchene 1st + conditional 1st (if he extended)

Tatar 1st + 2nd + 3rd

But if I went close to fantasy honestly would love to just see a straight up Webber for Subban trade

Marner for someone of his caliber not fitting with their respected team
May 27 at 1:43 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 27 at 2:02 a.m.
Quoting: oneX
You can't have a dynasty without winning one first. Win one, worry about the rest after.

But the question was

If the Leafs hypothetically won the cup next year, how many years of sucking / being trash after that would you let go/disregard because of the cup?

So technically they would have won lul

For me 0 maybe 1-2 years give us a CHI style Dynasty without the bad publicity afterwards

Dont want to end up like STL or WSH
May 27 at 8:10 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

20 years tbh
RipNasty liked this.
May 27 at 8:56 a.m.
hey look a squirrel

Interesting question, with the assumption that we won already, 0.

Go get another.
May 27 at 9:01 a.m.
Rip

I bet you he resigns July 1
May 27 at 9:16 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
I bet you he resigns July 1

That seems like a Toronto-thing to do... Ignore everything that's happened the past 9 years...
May 27 at 10:38 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
I think we need to add Lindholm.
Real chances of him signing at say 7 million per?
Or adding 1 year 5 million and then term deal negotiation in season at 7?

Only happens if one of Marner or Tavares are gone.
Leafsfan98 and oneX liked this.
May 27 at 10:38 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Double post
May 27 at 10:40 a.m.
Rip
That seems like a Toronto-thing to do... Ignore everything that's happened the past 9 years...

That is exactly what everyone of the "fire Marner into the sun" crowd is doing.
May 27 at 10:41 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Trickster
I think we need to add Lindholm.
Real chances of him signing at say 7 million per?
Or adding 1 year 5 million and then term deal negotiation in season at 7?

Only happens if one of Marner or Tavares are gone.

JT has 1 year left. Why do all leaf fans forget this?
May 27 at 11:12 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
That is exactly what everyone of the "fire Marner into the sun" crowd is doing.

I'm in that crowd... And I say; explore the market post July 1st, and figure out what FA isn't giving you (likely younger guys) and use Marner as bait to get those younger guys and draft picks... Don't resign him to a McDavid deal (what he reportedly wants to be around) on July 1st

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll