Forums/Armchair-GM

A serious conversation is needed about this team

Created by: NucksnOilers
Team: 2024-25 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: May 17, 2024
Published: May 17, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I write this similarly to how most Oiler fans feel after that game 5, disgruntled and disappointed with my team. I feel like it's truly understated how devastating a series loss to this Canucks team would be, it wouldn't mean we would need to "rebuild" or "blow it all up" like most Oiler fans suggest but it's a telling indicator that this offseason needs to be a turning point in our team. I have faith we will have a big game 6 and force 7 but that's no promise we show up.

Let's take a step back, how did we even get here? Back in 2017 it seemed as if this team was going to be dominant for years to come with a young and budding core with tough veterans being placed around them. Since then we haven't won the division once and haven't won a single game past the 2nd round. It's been almost 8 years now and we've barely progressed since 2017. We had a tough couple years from 2017-2019 but we started becoming competitive again and having some regular season success. Since then this team has felt like a convincing advertisement, every year at some point we are the favorites for the cup but there's no real reason for it. We always seem to be able to dominate any team when we feel like it and come just a couple inches away from being the real deal, the team we expected to become back in 2017. We haven't even been able to win our division nevertheless make a convincing playoff run with the roster we have. The last couple playoff exits I've been able to make excuses for or tolerate, we lost to the cup champ Avs back in 2022 and gave the Golden Knights their very best series in 2023. But this year is just inexcusable, I mean I say this with all due respect to the Canucks they're a very talented and impressive team but there is zero reason for us to be losing this series and there is no one to blame but the team itself. The refs have consistently favoured us the entire series, the Canucks are playing their 3rd string goalie, we've gotten good goaltending the past couple games. We have had 8 whole years to put a convincing roster behind Mcdrai and the Canucks have been able to dismantle it after a single year of success, not even that but they actually won the division something we have never been able to do. The funniest part of all of this is that it took them a single year to surpass the heights of our core and we've been trying to do it for 8. That's just pathetic. This game in particular was pathetic, we got the goaltending we've been whining for, the refs gave us 4 powerplays and our bottom 6 played the best they ever had. We still should have lost 7-2 somehow. There is a systemic issue with this core, it just hasn't worked. Our best playoff goaltending since Talbot has either come from a 40 year old Mike Smith or a 3rd string Calvin Pickard. In a pivotal game 5 where we got the goaltending and calls to take control of the series Mcdrai plays terrible and is the entire reason we lost. I'm tired of making excuses for this team on why we can't do it.

So whose fault is it?
I really don't know. It could be Holland for never going all in with this group and choosing to be reserved for the sake of mediocre prospects who never pan out. It could be Dustin Schwartz for us never having any good goaltending outside of random occurrences. It could be Knoblauch and Woodcroft for failing this team coaching wise during pivotal moments. t could be McDrai for disappearing in pivotal games the past few years since they've been overplayed to bits in the playoffs year after year since our management doesn't have faith in our depth (even when they show up like they have this playoffs). It could be this supposed "flu" that's been in the locker room game 5 (which is the lamest reason ever as an excuse for this loss). I truthfully don't know but we could play the blame game for hours on end with this group and it gets us nowhere. Something just has to change for our team if we want any success, the sad truth is we've been actually been a top 5 team in the league with Mcdrai and that alone should be enough for us to make big changes.

So where do we go from here?
I really have no idea, I think we need to stop playing it passive and "growing from within". It's gotten us nowhere and kept us mediocre. I don't think Knoblauch is the answer but firing another coach is just absolutely comical. Personally I'm done handing Mcdavid "the best player in the league" title unanimously when he hasn't been able to outplay a player like Jt Miller all series. All I know is that changes need to be made, this core doesn't have it in them and this potential meltdown to the Canucks should be a wake up call to Katz to make some big management decisions this offseason.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,700,000$86,766,667$3,550,000$0$933,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$900,000$900,000
LW, C
RFA
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA
$2,100,000$2,100,000
C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,250,000$9,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RD
RFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
G
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 17 at 7:08 a.m.
Edited May 17 at 7:22 a.m.
Goaltending hasn't ever really been stable during Holland's reign. The top-6 didn't improve until Hyman and Kane were added 2-years ago, the defense hasn't improved much until Ekholm was added and Bouchard broke out 1-years ago. Desharnais was also added a year ago. The bottom six still needs work and so does the defense. Since McDavid, none of the skater prospects have panned out/made much of an impact except Bouchard.

I don't know what this team needs to do, other than have patience, improve the defense by adding another top 4D, and add a goalie that can play in tandem with Skinner, and getting a bottom-6 that can actually be relied upon to play some minutes. I think Draisaitl is running out of patience, if he signs an extension that would be great, if he requests a trade then perhaps the Oilers can get some much-needed improvements elsewhere in the lineup (although with one year left, might not get a good haul). The worst thing that could happen though is that he walks in free agency, then the Oilers would be in trouble.

This team has missed the playoffs ever since they lost in the Cup Finals up until the 2nd year of McDavid's career. Initiating a rebuild is not the solution when they have talent like McDavid and Draisaitl. McDavid is the best player in the League, but that doesn't mean he can win the Cup alone or with Draisaitl and some other good players. The League has a lot of talent, and in the playoffs, it's a lot less about talent and more about team effort and sometimes just luck.
May 17 at 7:23 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
Since McDavid, none of the skater prospects have panned out/made much of an impact except Bouchard.

I don't think there's enough noise made about this among Oilers fans. I think failing to give Lavoie any sort of chance at playing with top-6 talent this year and now not even having him among the black aces (despite Bourgault getting both) is a missed opportunity. I think the unwillingness to even try Broberg alongside Nurse while that pairing has struggled is another example and in past years there've been other examples. While veteran players are a very valuable and stabilising asset, team's also need the energy & unpredictability brought by young players.

The new management team needs to correct this in order for McDavid and Draisaitl to see a future on this team. Sure, they should want to push for a Cup but if the team around them is crumbling without any reinforcements on the horizon, do you really think they'll be willing to commit to re-signing with the team?
GMBL liked this.
May 17 at 7:38 a.m.
Edited May 17 at 7:43 a.m.
Quoting: SupremeBone
I don't think there's enough noise made about this among Oilers fans. I think failing to give Lavoie any sort of chance at playing with top-6 talent this year and now not even having him among the black aces (despite Bourgault getting both) is a missed opportunity. I think the unwillingness to even try Broberg alongside Nurse while that pairing has struggled is another example and in past years there've been other examples. While veteran players are a very valuable and stabilising asset, team's also need the energy & unpredictability brought by young players.

The new management team needs to correct this in order for McDavid and Draisaitl to see a future on this team. Sure, they should want to push for a Cup but if the team around them is crumbling without any reinforcements on the horizon, do you really think they'll be willing to commit to re-signing with the team?

A lot of contenders have trouble balancing giving opportunities to young talent, but what confuses me with the Oilers is that they don't really trust their bottom-6 guys, might as well give some rookies a shot, or trade them for proven talent. There are of course the cap obstacles but after/as he's clearing out Chiarelli's mess, Holland shoots himself in the foot with the Nurse contract during the flat cap.

Honestly, I think Draisaitl will be done with this team if they go out in round 2. He might stay out the year though, and give it one last go before he tests free agency which is when things would likely spiral downwards from there. If he requests a trade maybe they can do something but considering that he's making only 8.5M, if they can't move someone they are only going to be able to replace him with one, maybe two, roster player(s) unless they get an ELC. Chances are the impact brought by those players won't be sufficient. If Draisaitl is traded, they should try to convince Nurse to waive and find a buyer. They'll have next year and the one following to convince McDavid to stay.
May 17 at 7:57 a.m.
A lot of contenders have trouble balancing giving opportunities to young talent, but what confuses me with the Oilers is that they don't really trust their bottom-6 guys, might as well give some rookies a shot, or trade them for proven talent. There are of course the cap obstacles but after/as he's clearing out Chiarelli's mess, Holland shoots himself in the foot with the Nurse contract during the flat cap.

What gets me about the Nurse contract is that it was set in motion by his choice to give Kassian that very ill-advised 3.25mil contract to and to pay Chiasson the 2.15mil he chose to. Had he not done even just one of those two, he'd have had an extra 1.15 to 2.25mil in cap to offer Nurse in exchange for more term while replacing either of the other two (or both) with a player of similar capacities at ~1mil. Does anyone think Nurse would've refused between 6.75 and 7.85mil on a long-term deal during the 2019-20 season?

Honestly, I think Draisaitl will be done with this team if they go out in round 2. He might stay out the year though, and give it one last go before he tests free agency which is when things would likely spiral downwards from there. If he requests a trade maybe they can do something but considering that he's making only 8.5M, if they can't move someone they are only going to be able to replace him with one, maybe two, roster player(s) unless they get an ELC. Chances are the impact brought by those players won't be sufficient. They'll have to convince Nurse to waive and try to pawn him off elsewhere. They'll have next year and the one following to convince McDavid to stay.

If I were the new GM, I'd have a very forthright discussion with both McDavid and Draisaitl this summer about the future and the team's path forward. If either (or both) aren't convinced by the direction laid out and 100% resolved to stick around and make themselves Oilers legends, then I strongly consider moving on from both of them. Build a team with Hyman as the captain embodying the team's new identity.
May 17 at 10:02 a.m.
All the Canadian teams are stuck in the same, never-ending cycle of Tanking -> Promising Young Core -> Playoff Disappointment -> Painful Mediocrity
May 17 at 10:33 a.m.
Quoting: SupremeBone
If I were the new GM, I'd have a very forthright discussion with both McDavid and Draisaitl this summer about the future and the team's path forward. If either (or both) aren't convinced by the direction laid out and 100% resolved to stick around and make themselves Oilers legends, then I strongly consider moving on from both of them. Build a team with Hyman as the captain embodying the team's new identity.

I agree with this 100%, if this is Hollands last season than I believe a plan of action would be:
Find a new GM > GM sits down with McD and Drai to discuss their future > react with an all in season or a rebuild according to their responses.

Once we have a new GM I believe the main concern this offseason is re-signing Drai, it will be a big indicator on what happens with the team and where we're expecting to go.
Unfortunately if we don't see a new contract in place by opening game next season it outlines to me the possible end of this era.

If we do go into a rebuild I pray that they fully tear it down, no one is kept but maybe some young players (Holloway, Broberg, Akey, Lavoie) and vet leaders (Hyman, Ekholm, D. Ryan and Kulak) all else are on the table.
If we are going all in than every young player/prospect/pick is used to get value contracts, role players and a goalie, I (and others may disagree) am at a point where I don't care if we don't have a draft pick for 2 seasons if it means we build a legitimate team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll