Forums/Armchair-GM

It Already Is

Created by: LGB314
Team: 2024-25 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: May 23, 2024
Published: May 23, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Title in reference to comment made by team owner regarding DA's activity level this off-season. Not sure if that means he's bringing players in or shipping out or both. We shall see..

Roster below is how I envision this "silent rebuild" shaking out in 25-26.

Neighbors, Thomas, Kyrou locked in unless DA gets an inbound for one that is outrageously attractive you can't pass up.

Bolduc, Dvorsky, Snuggerud is an enticing second line. All contingent on strong development ala Neighbors this past year.

I think that has potential to be a potent top 6. 3rd is where it gets dicey.

Schenn locked in. I doubt team resigns Buch, probably shouldn't either. Saad might be here? Unlikely after his contract expires.

4th line should be torp, sunny, walker - maybe dean if he develops.

The forward group as a whole is not in a bad spot honestly. You could sign a middle six C to lock down 2C while dvorsky grows up. Then push the signing down to 3C and move Schenn to wing when dvorsky is ready. Thats really the only "hole" so to speak. Maybe sign a winger if you move Buch sooner than later, but not necessary.

Defense is a mess however. Would not be opposed to a complete rebuild once NTCs fall off. Your guess is as good as mine on this one.

Stop all the Binner trades. He is elite and doesn't make any sense what so ever to move.

Next year will look similar to this year, then next offseason, is where the fun begins...
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$76,441,428$0$962,500$11,258,572
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$835,833$835,833
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$8,125,000$8,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 7
$8,125,000$8,125,000
RW
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$412,500$412K)
LW
RFA - 2
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$550,000$550K)
C
RFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
RW, C
RFA
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$852,500$852,500
C
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
G
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,571,429$3,571,429
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 23 at 11:51 a.m.
Lets Go Blues
Just to play Devil's Advocate on Binnington... this is probably the first offseason since signing this contract that his trade value will be significant/positive. He was trending in the wrong direction for the last few years. I'm sure there is an argument to be made that his numbers were sewered by a bad team in front of him, but reality is that right now may be the best time to shop him. And with the Blues a few years away from competing, why would he be untouchable? To be honest I would've liked to see Buch and Binner traded last deadline. Considering the buyer's market that developed, it's understandable that they're still here but for me they are the obvious pieces to move in any effort to re-tool. They have the most trade value, a large impact on whether the team is bottom third or middle third in the standings, and the least importance to a 2026-and-beyond roster.
May 23 at 12:19 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Quoting: A_K
Just to play Devil's Advocate on Binnington... this is probably the first offseason since signing this contract that his trade value will be significant/positive. He was trending in the wrong direction for the last few years. I'm sure there is an argument to be made that his numbers were sewered by a bad team in front of him, but reality is that right now may be the best time to shop him. And with the Blues a few years away from competing, why would he be untouchable? To be honest I would've liked to see Buch and Binner traded last deadline. Considering the buyer's market that developed, it's understandable that they're still here but for me they are the obvious pieces to move in any effort to re-tool. They have the most trade value, a large impact on whether the team is bottom third or middle third in the standings, and the least importance to a 2026-and-beyond roster.

It also just kind of makes sense given how old he is and what the Blues are looking at as far as their next contention window. Even the most optimistic person about the retool is saying we're 2 years away. Binnington will be 33 at the beginning of what is likely the soonest the newest contention window will start. If that contention window lasts a couple years, it'll certainly take him to the end of his contract if not the end of his career, and who knows what he looks like at 33, or 35.

So one way or another you're more likely than not going to have to transition to a different starter in the next five or so years. Would you rather be transitioning starters while you're actively trying to compete? Or do you want to start making that transition now where the stakes are lower? Seems like an easy call to me especially when Binnington's contract is one of the few they don't need his full permission to move.
A_K liked this.
May 23 at 12:52 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Edited May 23 at 12:57 p.m.
Quoting: LGB314
"Defense is a mess however. Would not be opposed to a full rebuild once those NTCs fall off".
"

If they're going to rebuild they should rebuild now while those NTCs are affecting their ability to immediately improve the team anyway. I don't think you need to be San Jose, I think they could rebuild without trading Thomas and Kyrou or the young guys. But if they do that they're going to have to trade Buchnevich and Binnington. I don't care if Binnington is the second coming of Dominik Hasek, he's going to steal games for you and you can't be having that if you're rebuilding.

The lack of a number one defenseman is what makes this entire retool endeavor completely suspect to me. You have good pieces in place at forward and potentially goal depending on how you feel about Hofer's ceiling. But They don't have anything of note really on defense. Like I like Theo Lindstein well enough, I like Colton Parayko *in theory*, but where's Miro Heiskanen? Adam Fox? Evan Bouchard? Aaron Ekblad? And none of those guys just showed up- it took them longer than a few years to become #1 defensemen after being drafted. That's not even getting into the Blues' inability to properly evaluate defensemen young and old over the last few years.
May 23 at 1:13 p.m.

I agree his value is higher than its ever been since signing his contract and would garner a decent return, my position on trading binner is just that it would signal full rebuild as opposed to this re-tool or however the management wants to describe it to fans. We can sit and debate whether its wise to trade binner and im sure we'd agree on a lot of points, but for me, trading binner would indicate to the fans, management is shutting this thing down for the next 3-5, top out at 50-60pts a year and rebuild through the draft. At that point is anyone not named Thomas untouchable?
May 23 at 1:20 p.m.
Quoting: TheEarthmaster
"

If they're going to rebuild they should rebuild now while those NTCs are affecting their ability to immediately improve the team anyway. I don't think you need to be San Jose, I think they could rebuild without trading Thomas and Kyrou or the young guys. But if they do that they're going to have to trade Buchnevich and Binnington. I don't care if Binnington is the second coming of Dominik Hasek, he's going to steal games for you and you can't be having that if you're rebuilding.

The lack of a number one defenseman is what makes this entire retool endeavor completely suspect to me. You have good pieces in place at forward and potentially goal depending on how you feel about Hofer's ceiling. But They don't have anything of note really on defense. Like I like Theo Lindstein well enough, I like Colton Parayko *in theory*, but where's Miro Heiskanen? Adam Fox? Evan Bouchard? Aaron Ekblad? And none of those guys just showed up- it took them longer than a few years to become #1 defensemen after being drafted. That's not even getting into the Blues' inability to properly evaluate defensemen young and old over the last few years.

To clarify, my comment on a full rebuild was aimed at the defensive pairings and separate from the forward groups. I agree on the need for a true #1 d-man. When we went to the 2nd round in 2022, we arguably had 4 #2 guys which was fine but not sustainable. Would be fine with severing ties with any of the top four. I'm not sure where to find that true number #1 guy. Have to think its through FA but not sure who is coming to market soon..
May 23 at 2:06 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: LGB314
I agree his value is higher than its ever been since signing his contract and would garner a decent return, my position on trading binner is just that it would signal full rebuild as opposed to this re-tool or however the management wants to describe it to fans. We can sit and debate whether its wise to trade binner and im sure we'd agree on a lot of points, but for me, trading binner would indicate to the fans, management is shutting this thing down for the next 3-5, top out at 50-60pts a year and rebuild through the draft. At that point is anyone not named Thomas untouchable?

Yeah they're trying to do a difficult thing - trying to build a future roster without saying "rebuild" out loud or hitting rock bottom - but I think you can justify dealing #89 and #50 as part of a re-tool. They're not core players in the 2027-2030 window that is more or less written on the wall. Armstrong should be stressing to the fans that he's going to ensure that the prime of Thomas and Kyrou isn't going to be wasted in a long rebuild. Instead he's saying "yeah I could trade my 4 best players and be bad until 2035" which is just maddening. Nobody is asking for that. We simply want a couple more high end pieces to be ready when it's time to really push. Those pieces are gonna be really hard to find if your ammunition is 16oa picks and free agent contracts.

About your title, do we think they've already got something in the works?
TheEarthmaster liked this.
May 23 at 3:30 p.m.
Yeah they're trying to do a difficult thing - trying to build a future roster without saying "rebuild" out loud or hitting rock bottom - but I think you can justify dealing #89 and #50 as part of a re-tool. They're not core players in the 2027-2030 window that is more or less written on the wall. Armstrong should be stressing to the fans that he's going to ensure that the prime of Thomas and Kyrou isn't going to be wasted in a long rebuild. Instead he's saying "yeah I could trade my 4 best players and be bad until 2035" which is just maddening. Nobody is asking for that. We simply want a couple more high end pieces to be ready when it's time to really push. Those pieces are gonna be really hard to find if your ammunition is 16oa picks and free agent contracts.

About your title, do we think they've already got something in the works?

I certainly hope so. Wouldn't shock me if they stockpile draft picks via a buch or binner trade. I know the owner was really happy heading into last summer with their draft capital.
A_K liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll