SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Discussion: Building a franchise. See description and COMMENT!

Created by: joshelkin
Team: 2017-18 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 30, 2017
Published: Jul. 30, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Let's just say you hit the lotto and can afford to buy controlling interest in an NHL franchise (but it can't be your favorite team). Obviously needs of every team are different, but generally speaking if you are a middle of the road team:

A) Who would you target, if any, as potential corner stone(s) for team? (Assume you have an above average prospect pool) One forward, one defenseman and one goalie. Try your best to keep it somewhat realistic.

B) Who is your ideal Head Coach? (Can either be any assistant coach for another team or simply a former coach not employed right now)

C) Would you be an aggressive owner in your first year, or a passive one?

D) Feel free to comment with any strategies or ideas you think I missed.
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
4$75,000,000$8,175,000$0$850,000$66,825,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,350,000$5,350,000
LW
UFA - 4
Bob Hartley, Head Coach
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 30, 2017 at 1:09 p.m.
MacKinnon>McDavid
i dont have time to do this right now but this is a cool idea so im commenting so i can come back to it later
Jul. 30, 2017 at 1:12 p.m.
Philadelphia Flyers

A.) N/A
B.) Peter Laviolette
C.) I would make the moves that are in the team's best interests.
Jul. 30, 2017 at 1:46 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
1. Since I have enough money to waste on an NHL franchise, my first move would be to buyout/fire Bettman and if necessary fire all those unnecessary do nothing suits in the NHL office.
2. Find a way to break the Rogers contract. Half the population (Rogers subscribers) hates Rogers. Don't give the the contract to Bell, half the Canadian population (Bell subscribers) hates Bell
3. After I hire my GM, he is instructed to post any possible trades or signings on CapFriendly to get some free knowledgable information.
The rest is easy.
Jul. 30, 2017 at 3:33 p.m.
Interesting idea.
If I'm looking at players to build a franchise around with an above average prospect pool, I'd be trying to acquire young elite players like
Forwards- Draisitl from Edmonton as their cap problems will mean they will have to move a good player or Matthew Tkachuk in Calgary for the same future reasons.
Defense-probably trying to acquire a player like Slavic, Hanifin, Dumba, or Hamilton.
Goalie-your definitely looking at a player like Korpisalo, Grauber or Gibson if you could somehow get him.
Coach- I'm looking for a new age coach that excels at talking with players who can get the best out of them. Someone like Travis Green in Vancouver or Arizonas new coach.
Of course you want to be aggressive to get the core you want to build around but once you get those 3-6 players you need to be patient and wait for your prospects to fill the remaining spots with the odd veteran and build through the draft.
Jul. 30, 2017 at 7:49 p.m.
Cool idea.
A team that feels like a realistic buy for me would be carolina hurricanes, they have a young core that is missing only a few pieces.

As for your build i would probably go with
Gallagher-ekman larsson-rantta-bob hartley
With the current set up (assuming canes) i would be somewhat active at the deadline but probably proactive in the next off season as rebuilding should end one day

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll