SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/The Box

Who is the worse commissioner of the four major NA professional sport leagues?

Which Commissioner is Worse?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 11, 2017 at 10:57 a.m.
Below Market Value
Everyone hates the Commish, but who is the worst?
Aug. 11, 2017 at 12:41 p.m.
I hate Adam Silver ever since he assassinated Sam Hinkie.
DoctorBreakfast liked this.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 1:02 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I voted for Bettman. Maybe it's because I know. him best. The reasons are really just mostly economic. His vision was to grow the game. It really hasn't. Sure the league can put franchises in new cities, but for years most of these cities have been on life support from the teams that actually make money. He has gained such a power base because the league has had such a transition of new and often weak owners. These newbies look to him since he was one of the folks that allowed him to gain a franchise. I think his contribution to league has been minimal. I would expect more. Maybe some CapFriendly contributors could have done better.
Remember all of the "Leagues" are not in business for themselves. They are kinda of a holding company that referees the rules and distributes the funds of the owners.
Goodell. His owners are the strongest of all the leagues. May not like him, but he enforces what the owners want.
Silver. At least has been the commish when the league is about to win big with TV contract. And the players win too.
MLB baseball runs a lot on inertia. Gee they had a owner Bud Zelig as commish for 20 years.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 3:20 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: palhal
I voted for Bettman. Maybe it's because I know. him best. The reasons are really just mostly economic. His vision was to grow the game. It really hasn't. Sure the league can put franchises in new cities, but for years most of these cities have been on life support from the teams that actually make money. He has gained such a power base because the league has had such a transition of new and often weak owners. These newbies look to him since he was one of the folks that allowed him to gain a franchise. I think his contribution to league has been minimal. I would expect more. Maybe some CapFriendly contributors could have done better.
Remember all of the "Leagues" are not in business for themselves. They are kinda of a holding company that referees the rules and distributes the funds of the owners.
Goodell. His owners are the strongest of all the leagues. May not like him, but he enforces what the owners want.
Silver. At least has been the commish when the league is about to win big with TV contract. And the players win too.
MLB baseball runs a lot on inertia. Gee they had a owner Bud Zelig as commish for 20 years.

The game hasn't grown? That's ridiculous. If there wasn't an Arizona franchise there wouldn't be an Auston Matthews. Seth Jones came up through the Dallas Stars youth program. Shayne Gostisbehere was born and raised in Florida. I know there's no way to measure the number of fans in the game, but you can't tell me that there would be nearly as many hockey fans in the southern US without Bettman. Tampa's won a Cup, Dallas has won a Cup, Carolina has won a Cup, Florida went to the SCF early in their franchise history, the game has boomed in Nashville due to their recent success. The game is bigger now than it has ever been, and Bettman has had a lot to do with it. To say that CapFriendly users could have run a professional sports league better than Gary Bettman is asinine. Most of us can't even measure the value of a player or construct a team under the cap.
Aug. 12, 2017 at 9:30 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Doctor Breakfast. You do have a valid point about some growth of "youth" hockey in the southern US. But...sure Carolina has won a Cup, but as a NHL club, it depends on other teams financial support. Same with Florida, there aren't enough fans to support the franchise. Lucky Tampa has a bunch of North East folks vacationing in the winter and a great owner. And profitable teams have always transferred money to poorer teams.
Of course, I don't know all the details. I'm just wondering if I was profitable NHL owner, would I want to continually supporting money losing franchises....forever.
Aug. 12, 2017 at 10:30 a.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast

The game hasn't grown? That's ridiculous. If there wasn't an Arizona franchise there wouldn't be an Auston Matthews. Seth Jones came up through the Dallas Stars youth program. Shayne Gostisbehere was born and raised in Florida. I know there's no way to measure the number of fans in the game, but you can't tell me that there would be nearly as many hockey fans in the southern US without Bettman. Tampa's won a Cup, Dallas has won a Cup, Carolina has won a Cup, Florida went to the SCF early in their franchise history, the game has boomed in Nashville due to their recent success. The game is bigger now than it has ever been, and Bettman has had a lot to do with it. To say that CapFriendly users could have run a professional sports league better than Gary Bettman is asinine. Most of us can't even measure the value of a player or construct a team under the cap.

lol you actually believed Bettman when he said the causation of Matthews success as a hockey player is because Pheonix had a team in that city? Now that is the definition of asinine.

Look at three of the teams you listed, Florida, Arizona & Carolina, teams being constantly discussed regarding relocation, why is that? Oh right because so few in those cities care about the sport, and interest in the sport hasn't grown since their creation, and in some cases, has actually decreased.

Based on your example of Matthews being directly correlated to his success based on the city having an NHL team, I'd love for you to explain how Sidney Crosby (Cole Harbour Nova Scotia), Malkin (Magnitogorsk, Russa), Ovechkin (Moscow, Russia), Matt Murray (Thunder Bay, Ontario), Draisaitl (Cologne, Germany) have all become such stars, none of their home towns had NHL teams?
Oh wait, the answer is simple: a city having an NHL team has absolutely nothing to do with player development and whether a star is born.
Aug. 12, 2017 at 12:10 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Energetic
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast

lol you actually believed Bettman when he said the causation of Matthews success as a hockey player is because Pheonix had a team in that city? Now that is the definition of asinine.

Look at three of the teams you listed, Florida, Arizona & Carolina, teams being constantly discussed regarding relocation, why is that? Oh right because so few in those cities care about the sport, and interest in the sport hasn't grown since their creation, and in some cases, has actually decreased.

Based on your example of Matthews being directly correlated to his success based on the city having an NHL team, I'd love for you to explain how Sidney Crosby (Cole Harbour Nova Scotia), Malkin (Magnitogorsk, Russa), Ovechkin (Moscow, Russia), Matt Murray (Thunder Bay, Ontario), Draisaitl (Cologne, Germany) have all become such stars, none of their home towns had NHL teams?
Oh wait, the answer is simple: a city having an NHL team has absolutely nothing to do with player development and whether a star is born.

I actually think the Coyotes are a big reason why Matthews is playing hockey ... he said he loved watching Shane Down and Daniel Briere, and would always go to Coyotes games, ad he eventually decided that's what he wanted to do, is to play in the NHL.
Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Aug. 12, 2017 at 1:09 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
rangersislesfan. So the nhl and owners poured tens of millions, maybe hundreds of million into the phoenix to get one Auston Matthews. That's a lot more than the Six Million Dollar Man.....Steve Austin.
Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:39 p.m.
Simply because you get a prodigy child from a traditional non-hockey town (south) doesn't mean the game as grown.

Bryce Harper, outfielder for the Washington Nationals in the MLB, was a prodigy child before he hit high school. Luka Doncic, 2018 NBA draft top prospect, is from Slovenia and signed in the Euro league when he was just 13 years old, again another prodigy child. Joel Embiid, center for the Philadelphia Sixers, starting playing basketball at the age of 15 in Nigeria. 3 years later, he was taken No. 3 overall in the 2014 NBA Draft.

Teams being around cannot be conclusively correlated to prodigy children making it to the Show. if we saw some decent 6th round picks from those aforementioned cities, than it may be more reasonable to draw conclusions that the team being around had an impact on interest.

Daniel Briere was in Arizona from the time Auston Matthews was born until he was 6. Not sure how he was able to love watching him. My favorite player growing up was Simon Gagne. I don't remember any goal from him until the 2010 ECSF in game 7 vs Boston w/ the Game-winning PP goal.
Aug. 13, 2017 at 2:30 p.m.
HockeySen
Roger Goodell simply because he hates my Patriots
Aug. 13, 2017 at 6:17 p.m.
Quoting: HockeySen
Roger Goodell simply because he hates my Patriots

"Tom Brady - allegedly deflates football; 4 game suspension"
"Ray Rice - video evidence he hit his then girlfriend; 2 game suspension"
"Peyton Manning - allegedly used PEDS; successfully clears name"
Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:42 a.m.
Banned
Rob Manfred Because He Is Going To Take Longer To Expand His MLB League To 32 Teams Also Wants To Place Two Teams Internationally Considering In Montreal And Mexico City And Maybe In Vancouver
Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:45 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: phillyjabroni

Adam Sliver Says Going To Expand Back Seattle And Bring The Sonics In Nearby Future
Nov. 19, 2017 at 11:33 p.m.
While it was a real tough call I had to go with Good, he hasn't done anything positive for the NFL especially in new rules... Like a catch is isn't a catch even if guy takes 4 steps after he catches ball or other BS... The extra point I don't like at all, changing other rules or the kickoff and OT... He botched every off field issue from Ray Rice to Tom Brady, Ezekial Elliot, letting Vick come back into the league, the anthem BS alienating fans... Not fining teams or players according to rules... Playing lawyer BS with saying well it only said shall not must, so Though Shall Not Kill I guess is just a suggestion not saying don't kill people or its illegal or wrong too... Guy like him has only hurt the league where it matters, making it where can't even enjoy the rigged BS they claim is a sport. It would be hard to do worse than him, even if hired a drunken blind and deaf bum from streets smile...

Bettman is a guy don't like at all, though least I can think of some positives he did like delay of game penalty for flipping puck out... Some like the OT format, some other changes or things done under his reign... I'm thinking he was there when got rid of the 2 line pass rule... I didn't like how he handle players like the Sean Avery sloppy seconds comment he has all this BS, yet Duncan Keith commits assault to point of life changing with Jeff Carter only to barely get anything? HE should have been thrown in jail, suspended least for end of the post season or the series with Kings. Players in general getting unfair punishments depending who they are or know if not for team they play with under him. Granted for TV he hasn't been great, having NHL on Outdoor Network, NHL network not standard compared to say NFL... The annoying ads on the glass or ice during games that often block the fans when doing the digital on the boards. I'm not a fan of having netting up which makes it look blurry or hard to see some games on TV or certain angles. I see lots of empty seats watching Ducks vs. Kings game or recent Carolina vs. Islanders from flipping channels... Senators couldn't even sell tickets for eastern conference final they had a chance to win over Penguins...

I like Bettman giving Vegas an expansion team over Quebec City or some other bad options... I'm skeptical how Houston would do if they got the next team, I'd like to see Seattle doing well... Though Mexico should get a team even if Coyotes move there if want to see NHL last for the long haul. A Mexican NHL team might seem comical to many, Cabo San Lucas, or other areas could be ideal locations over say Mexico City smile. They are family orientated, bringing 3-5 generations of family just to a doctor visit for example... So even if get 1 family member interested they will often drag others who will at least attend games/buy some gear. Given the changing demographics I think if could become popular in Mexico it would help fill the seats better than trying to expand into China to compete with KHL there or Europe. I'm not holding my breath about seeing NHL on ESPN again, don't feel its doing well with NBC or whoever partner is. Often they don't show any games to play curling instead, unless get some ice package or whatever its really slim to none depending where live... When I was growing up I had great hockey on TV from sports channel West Coast showing teams like Kings and Sharks... Then had the East Coast version of Sports Channel that played Islanders and Devils... Rangers were on MSG then so that was another channel would have to buy almost like a PPV level. I think early Wrestlemania along with other events was on there even UFC back in day.

Baseball seemed to do well with World Series having Houston win for 1st time... Only MLB to make World Series for NL and AL... Milwaukee made it twice in AL if recall but lost before moving to NL smile. Basketball I don't like its so rigged its not funny smile. Its fine for those into fantasy sports since has better payouts than NHL... I like how NBA forces players to actually respect the country and anthem. They a bit off the rails with their off the court dress codes or some other aspects though perhaps smile.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit