SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Sophomore slumps?

Aug. 11, 2017 at 2:00 p.m.
Which rookies who had a great season do you see slumping in their second season?
List of rookies with 30+ points

Matthews
Laine
Nylander
Marner
Aho
Tkachuk
Werenski
Point
Rantenen
Skjei
Brown
Mantha
Zaitsev
Guentzal
Hartman
Provorov

I see Nylander, Tkachuk, and Werenksi possibly slumping next season
Aug. 11, 2017 at 2:04 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: Sahil2020
Which rookies who had a great season do you see slumping in their second season?
List of rookies with 30+ points

Matthews
Laine
Nylander
Marner
Aho
Tkachuk
Werenski
Point
Rantenen
Skjei
Brown
Mantha
Zaitsev
Guentzal
Hartman
Provorov

I see Nylander, Tkachuk, and Werenksi possibly slumping next season

Werenski may not be as good, if just because he might've been playing over his head, and Jake Guentzel will have a hard time repeating his playoff magic.
Sahil2020 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 3:12 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
He's not on this list, but I see Konecny as having a massive sophomore slump this season
Aug. 11, 2017 at 3:36 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Werenski? Maybe Marner/Nylander? Provorov?
Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:58 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
He's not on this list, but I see Konecny as having a massive sophomore slump this season

Travis Konecny only had 28 points. Do you really think he'll have 14 points this season? I don't see how that remotely makes sense seeing as how he will get top 9 minutes (or should) and will play on the PP. He would have to play with Matt Read and Dale Weise in order for 14 points to be produced, and he won't play with those guys at the same time.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 5:05 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I think Nylander will have a big slump.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 5:59 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: EthanK24
I think Nylander will have a big slump.

I hope you're right but I doubt it, Nylander is already one of the most underrated players in the league, hiding in the shadows of Matthews, and Marner (who isn't even as good.)
Duster liked this.
Aug. 11, 2017 at 9:48 p.m.
I don't want him to but Connor Brown probably will. Hartman is 50/50 for me since he probably will be picking up most of Hossa's minutes.
Aug. 12, 2017 at 2:12 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: phillyjabroni

Travis Konecny only had 28 points. Do you really think he'll have 14 points this season? I don't see how that remotely makes sense seeing as how he will get top 9 minutes (or should) and will play on the PP. He would have to play with Matt Read and Dale Weise in order for 14 points to be produced, and he won't play with those guys at the same time.

A slump doesn't necessarily mean half of the points he got his first season bud.
Aug. 12, 2017 at 2:14 a.m.

A slump doesn't necessarily mean half of the points he got his first season bud.

well you said massive slump, so phillyjabroni can only assume that you think his points will take a huge hit
Aug. 12, 2017 at 9:07 a.m.

can you define massive sophomore slump and then sophomore slump?
Aug. 12, 2017 at 10:20 a.m.
If Point is stuck in the #3 center role, his production may decline. However, I don't see that happening. I think he will get 50+ points.
Aug. 12, 2017 at 3:56 p.m.
Quoting: boltscharge17
If Point is stuck in the #3 center role, his production may decline. However, I don't see that happening. I think he will get 50+ points.

I think point ends up playing top 6 minutes with Killorn dropping to the 3rd line. Killer just didn't mean with any of the skilled forward last year. Point played well with everyone.
Aug. 13, 2017 at 1:49 a.m.
In my mind, players that drive possession are probably less likely to have a sophomore slump. Which means talents like Mathews, Werenski, Tkachuk, Mantha, and Provorov probably don't regress. Furthermore, players in great situations probably also won't regress. Point, Nylander, Hartman, Guentzal, and Laine probably fall under this. Lastly, the players that had unusually long slumps during the year will also probably not regress. That includes Aho, who went on a freaky goalless run this year.

That leaves Rantanen, Skjei, and Brown on the list provided.

Rantanen shot 15% this past year, and while that is technically possible, it's more likely he is a 11-13% shooter rather than 15%. While his total points may not decrease, I will take that his goal scoring will.
Skjei got a reasonably decent chunk of powerplay time this past year; with Shattenkirk now there, I expect he'll return back to the second PP, if RM doesn't take it. He may not regress defensively however.
Brown scored 20 goals this year on 16 minutes of ice time, but had mediocre possession numbers and shot 14.4%. Along with the general depth of the Leafs' wings, he is my greatest regression candidate of the players you listed.
Aug. 13, 2017 at 2:41 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
I honestly think one of Laine or Matthews will have a sophomore "slump". I'm not saying the're gonna suck. but its hard imagining any player repeating 40g and 69pts season. add that to the expectation from both fan bases that they are suppose to improve. It wouldn't surprise me if Matthews has a 50pts season with "only" 25goals, while still playing a solid 2-way game, or Laine putting similar numbers and people saying that they slumped.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll