SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2017-18

2017-18 GM Game - General Discussion Thread

Apr. 4, 2018 at 6:08 p.m.
Flyers! / LAK GM V2
Quoting: F50marco
Yup, exactly. Its an unfortunate but unavoidable aspect of the game. We can't simulate an entire league and season perfectly.

Guys like Marc Methot and Karl Alzner, although have a little value in the real NHL, have negative value in the GM game. 4th line puds who block shots and win you games in the playoffs are valuable in the real NHL but in this game are all being traded away for virtually nothing.

Tell that to Ottawa last year who was 1 win away from playing for the cup and not being close to a top team or even Nashville who finished what 8th? The top teams usually win but then again Washington should have 10 cups by now.

I was referring specifically to our game, sorry if that wasn't clear
Apr. 4, 2018 at 6:12 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: jeplaza14
That's probably the only thing that I don't like about this game. The only reason to be a buyer at this point is if you're one of the top 5 teams like TB, PHI, STL, WPG, etc...

Kind of kills the vibe of an active trade deadline

Said perfectly. I think everyone is slowly getting accustomed to the GM Game market, it is for sure much different than the irl market. Some things I've noticed include:

1. Anyone over 30 is undervalued.
2. At the start of the game everyone traded away draft picks like they were worthless, now at this point everyone is trying to regain or keep picks.
3. Everyone under 26 (especially with term) are like gold.

I think when you have a game that is simulated you cannot factor in things like leadership, the need for depth, and hot and cold streaks. I guess when all the teams are evaluated on paper and not on the ice all that matters is raw skill. One things for sure, and that is that it sucks to be a seller at the deadline when their are no buyers. Nobody is buying because, (1) they have no picks left, (2) for the reason you all ready stated above, and (3) nobody cares for depth or leadership players all that much.
jeplaza14 and Turner33 liked this.
Apr. 4, 2018 at 6:20 p.m.
CFGM Game Moderator
The lines between reality and our game are also very blurred.
Many times in trade talks one team will say they want/need a good young prospect included.
That's fine, except everyone is valuing their prospects based on real life which means nothing in our game since absolutely NO ONE in our game ever plays an actual hockey game.
So in most cases it comes down to the "name" rather than the value.

I don't know if I explained what my thought was in terms that make sense to anyone but me....but I hope you get the point.
Apr. 4, 2018 at 6:32 p.m.
I was referring specifically to our game, sorry if that wasn't clear

No i understood. I think we're making the same point. Lol

GM game = 5 playoff teams and 26 rebuilding teams.
Real NHL = 16 playoff teams and 5 rebuilding teams.

In the real NHL things aren't so black or white. In the GM game its all or nothing or rebuild from scratch.

Quoting: Daryl
Said perfectly. I think everyone is slowly getting accustomed to the GM Game market, it is for sure much different than the irl market. Some things I've noticed include:

2. At the start of the game everyone traded away draft picks like they were worthless, now at this point everyone is trying to regain or keep picks.

I think when you have a game that is simulated you cannot factor in things like leadership, the need for depth, and hot and cold streaks. I guess when all the teams are evaluated on paper and not on the ice all that matters is raw skill. One things for sure, and that is that it sucks to be a seller at the deadline when their are no buyers. Nobody is buying because, (1) they have no picks left, (2) for the reason you all ready stated above, and (3) nobody cares for depth or leadership players all that much.

100% agree.

Drafted in the 1st round last year? - You are now worth 2 1st rounders next year, a prospect and roster player.
Just turned 30 years old and scoring below your career average this year even though you are still a good player? - Your worthless and declining. Frankly do everyone a favor and just kill yourself. ..lol
jeplaza14, flamesfan419, Daryl and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 4, 2018 at 6:34 p.m.
Flyers! / LAK GM V2
Quoting: F50marco
No i understood. I think we're making the same point. Lol

GM game = 5 playoff teams and 26 rebuilding teams.
Real NHL = 16 playoff teams and 5 rebuilding teams.

In the real NHL things aren't so black or white. In the GM game its all or nothing or rebuild from scratch.

100% agree.

Drafted in the 1st round last year? - You are now worth 2 1st rounders next year, a prospect and roster player.
Just turned 30 years old and scoring below your career average this year even though you are still a good player? - Your worthless and declining. Frankly do everyone a favor and just kill yourself. ..lol

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's unfortunate because I do actually enjoy this stuff, but there's not a lot of incentive to do the moves that I want to make.
Apr. 4, 2018 at 6:36 p.m.
Go Habs Go
That's me right now as well. If I was a real life team I'd be adding players but in this game I don't see the point of getting in as a wild card and then having no picks and prospects for the future. Seems like only 5-6 teams are seriously adding players.

There was talk of running a playoff sim on the nhl games. I don't know how much impact things would have there, but could a wild card team come out on top in that?
Apr. 4, 2018 at 6:37 p.m.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's unfortunate because I do actually enjoy this stuff, but there's not a lot of incentive to do the moves that I want to make.

Listen this game will always be a beta. For it to be like 100% super realistic and what not, we'd need mods, 31 GM's who are all on the same level of knowledge, etc etc. Its tough. Still fun though!
jeplaza14 liked this.
Apr. 4, 2018 at 6:46 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: ricochetii
There was talk of running a playoff sim on the nhl games. I don't know how much impact things would have there, but could a wild card team come out on top in that?

The thing I like about real life is how unpredictable the playoffs are. Look at the Preds and Sens last year, nobody saw that coming. The thing here is you know it's either Tampa, Philly, or Winnipeg that will win and most people not listed in around the top eight/nine-ish immediately start stockpiling picks and prospects because they know they have no chance. It seems like from September-February most teams except for the really bad teams are all trying to build contenders, then closer to the deadline your left with maybe 5-6 real contenders and an army of pick and prospect seeking teams. Look at my team for example, I had four great lines on offence, a set of reliable defensive pairings, and two solid goalies. But despite me still being a good team I knew I would never beat teams like Tampa or Philly, so I went and traded ROR for picks and prospects.

None the less, this games still fun, just weird compared to in real life.
Apr. 4, 2018 at 6:51 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
The thing I like about real life is how unpredictable the playoffs are. Look at the Preds and Sens last year, nobody saw that coming. The thing here is you know it's either Tampa, Philly, or Winnipeg that will win and most people not listed in around the top eight/nine-ish immediately start stockpiling picks and prospects because they know they have no chance. It seems like from September-February most teams except for the really bad teams are all trying to build contenders, then closer to the deadline your left with maybe 5-6 real contenders and an army of pick and prospect seeking teams. Look at my team for example, I had four great lines on offence, a set of reliable defensive pairings, and two solid goalies. But despite me still being a good team I knew I would never beat teams like Tampa or Philly, so I went and traded ROR for picks and prospects.

None the less, this games still fun, just weird compared to in real life.

Other than me Sticking Out Tongue
Apr. 4, 2018 at 6:52 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

I mean, age definitely has to do with trade value, but i agree, some GMs value young guys WAAAAYYY higher than older guys.
Apr. 4, 2018 at 7:07 p.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Looking to move Calvert for a pick
Apr. 4, 2018 at 9:12 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
@Math @matt59 @F50marco @flamesfan419 @mhockey91 @KSIxSKULLS @HallforHart @Ethereal @TonyStrecher @Bennett93 @Icegirl @JT_Miller @TrueNorth @Daryl @ricochetii @GronkNation @jeplaza14 @Rodzikhockey93 @l9guysports @TabooPenguo @NateElder12 @McJesus_ @plNHL @FryesLeapMaine @Mr_cap @krakowitz @jmac490 @A_K @Turner33 @BoltsPoint21

With the deadline in 4 days, i'm gonna say one final time to all GMs at once that if you want Frederik Claesson for a 4th in any year you can have him. If you don't want to give up a 4th for him straight up, either ignore this post or come to the Senators page and suggest a deal involving other pieces from both sides. If you're interested in Claesson though you can come to the Senators page. This is the last time before the deadline that i will let teams know about Claesson being available. Just seeing if there's even 1 of all 31 GMs who wants him.

You could have gotten a 4th for him in October or November, but instead you waited until the market was the most crowded.
mhockey91, LicMysak, rangersandislesfan and 3 others liked this.
Apr. 4, 2018 at 9:26 p.m.
SEA GM v5
New York Islanders

Taking offers on Ryan Miller and Andre Burakovsky.
Apr. 4, 2018 at 10:16 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: TonyStrecher
You could have gotten a 4th for him in October or November, but instead you waited until the market was the most crowded.

Well by now a bunch of picks have already been traded by buying teams.
Apr. 5, 2018 at 10:33 a.m.
V5 PHI GM and BOG
Apr. 5, 2018 at 4:46 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: GronkNation

I believe the right column is what we will use, but keep in mind that there will be new rankings after the trade deadline. These initial rankings were to guide GMs in their decision to buy/sell at the deadline (Sunday).
Gronk liked this.
Apr. 5, 2018 at 7:56 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Edited Apr. 5, 2018 at 10:24 p.m.
Edmonton Oilers

From now until sunday... The Edmonton Oilers are willing to listen on anyone with the exception of NMC and NTC people. I make no promises that anyone will be moved, but I'm bored and am in need of my trade fix.

Make offers.
Apr. 5, 2018 at 10:09 p.m.
WentWughes
Edited Apr. 5, 2018 at 10:34 p.m.
Looking for A Top 6/Top 9 LW, Let me know who you have and the price. Looking for someone younger than 30 and with Term

Dont expect me to overpay because there is alot more Supply than Demand. Willing to deal Mid Tier Prospects and middle draft picks for a player
Apr. 5, 2018 at 10:35 p.m.
Johnathan MacLeod for a conditional 2020 7th if anyone wants him. Pick is only traded to me if you sign him to an ELC.
Apr. 5, 2018 at 10:36 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
Johnathan MacLeod for a conditional 2020 7th if anyone wants him. Pick is only traded to me if you sign him to an ELC.

Whats the Condition?
Apr. 5, 2018 at 10:36 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Whats the Condition?

rangersandislesfan liked this.
Apr. 5, 2018 at 10:37 p.m.
WentWughes

Ill do it lol
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Ill do it lol

alright im a right it up
Black Lives Matter
Tom Pyatt is available for a pick